╌>

Man accused of killing wife in cough medicine-induced stupor was aspiring preacher

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  hal-a-lujah  •  7 years ago  •  8 comments

Man accused of killing wife in cough medicine-induced stupor was aspiring preacher

Source

The North Carolina man accused of killing his wife in a cough syrup-induced stupor was an aspiring preacher and Star Wars devotee who had a lightsaber fight at his wedding.

More information emerged Tuesday about Matthew Phelps, 29, who is accused of stabbing his wife Lauren Hugelmaier, also 29, several times after taking Coricidin, a cough and cold medicine. He admitted to authorities he took the medicine because it made him “feel good” and it would help him sleep.

According to their wedding page , the couple went to middle school together and reconnected years later thanks to Instagram. They started dating around 2014 and married in November 2016.

Their Facebook pages show a shared loved for all things Star Wars, with several photos showing them dressed up as characters, going to see the most recent film installments -- and even having a lightsaber fight during their wedding reception.

Phelps worked at a landscaping company and studied missions and evangelism at Clear Creek Baptist Bible College in Pineville, Ky., his Facebook page said.

According to her obituary, Hugelmaier was an active member of Hope Lutheran Church “where she loved working with the Children’s and Youth Ministries.”

Ryker Hampton, who worked at the North Carolina church, said in a Facebook post that Hugelmaier was a “superstar volunteer.”

“You showed up every youth night and every event ready to turn whatever dumb idea I had into a reality. I’m thankful for that,” he wrote. “I get to see you again one day and that’s keeping me going. You finished your race and you finished well. I promise I’ll do the same. And hopefully, I’ll figure out a few more escape games along the way.”

According to her obituary, Hugelmaier was also an auditor with Quintiles, however, her biggest passion appeared to be her personal side business with Scentsy . Just hours before her death, Lauren posted a video on Facebook promoting the business.

A memorial page was set up on Youcaring.com to help her family.

“Lauren Hugelmaier’s life tragically ended on September 1, 2017. She was only 29 years old. As we grieve Lauren’s loss, there are financial challenges that lie ahead,” the fund’s creator, Valerie Hoy, wrote. “This fund will be used to help ease the financial burden for her grieving family. Any amount big or small will be greatly appreciated.”

Phelps, who does not have a criminal record, has been charged in his wife’s murder. He is currently held at Wake County Jail without bail.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

The world has gone mad.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

An active ingredient in cough syrups, dextromethorphan , is an extreme hallucinogen in some circumstances. It is nothing to play around with. Basically , you drink the whole bottle. People have been doing it recreationally since the 60's

Over-the-counter preparations containing dextromethorphan have been used in manners inconsistent with their labeling, often as a recreational drug. [11] At doses much higher than medically recommended, DXM and its major metabolite, dextrorphan , acts as an NMDA receptor antagonist , which produces dissociative hallucinogenic states somewhat similar to ketamine and phencyclidine . [12] Along with other drugs such as ketamine or phencyclidine, also known as PCP, there is a street name for dextromethorphan-infused substances which is also known as "Angel." It may produce distortions of the visual field – feelings of dissociation , distorted bodily perception, excitement, and a loss of sense of time. Some users report stimulant-like euphoria , particularly in response to music. Dextromethorphan usually provides its recreational effects in a non-linear fashion, so that they are experienced in significantly varied stages. These stages are commonly referred to as "plateaus". [13] Teens tend to have a higher likelihood to use dextromethorphan related drugs as it is easier to access, and an easier way to cope with psychiatric disorders. [14]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Even on my most out of control acid trip, the thought of stabbing my wife/girlfriend/friend/etc never crossed my mind.  I call bullshit.  Extreme bullshit in fact.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

I don't know, it's hard to see what other people see. When I was a kid I did the cough syrup thing. It is as extreme as any other drug. I knew people who had bad trips on it.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

We did Robo in college for fun, now purple drank (sizzurp) is all the rage.  Nobody is going on stabbing binges.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

They can fry him for all I care, but drugs can affect people's behavior.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Poor woman!  I hope he gets his just deserts!