╌>

Getting in Shape(s)

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  a-macarthur  •  7 years ago  •  10 comments

Getting in Shape(s)

I'm trying something different in the way of "poster" type images … breaking away from the traditions rectangular, square and even circular images.

When I wrote my thesis, "The Role of Presupposition in the Perception of Art," I question why canvases that were not rectangular or square were referred to as "SHAPED" canvases … after all, aren't squares and rectangles … "shapes" in-and-of-themselves?

Anyway, I am very much interested in any feedback on the images below … positive, negative, analytical … please, state your position.

2libertysquareriverboatwaltdisneyworldagurmankin.jpg

© A. Mac/A.G.

tropicalsunsetwithpalmtreesagurmankin.jpg

© A. Mac/A.G.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Take a position … SHAPE the discussion.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

I like them both, Mac. Very eye catching and ads great perspective to the photo. A real break from the usual square configuration of the background. As a graphic creator myself, I try to choose ply around with various styles of backgrounds that will both compliment the primary image in my creations and will also add to the perspective. I use various wood burl and Mother Earth components that will blend with and enhance the primary image to attain the vision I have of what I want it to look like.

So I do like and appreciate the two different perspectives photos that you have presented here. (smile)

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

Thanks, Raven Wing.

When submitting to publishers, I keep images literal and allow them to apply special effects that suit their project/publishing need.

When marketing directly to the public, anything goes … or fails to go. What started me on these shapes was some perspective/distortion corrections that went overboard to some serendipitous effects.

Happens some times.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

"some perspective/distortion corrections that went overboard to some serendipitous effects.

Happens some times."

Indeed it does, Mac. However, it is through some mistakes that I have learned how to better arrange and blend the combination of the images with a new prospective and approach to presenting the primary image. They will often take on a very different look and 'feel' with the different ways of presenting them. I find a lot of the time it depends on the mood I am in as to how the end results come about.  

That is the fun part of creative artistry, the learning of new ways of presenting my vision in varying ways. I often start with one concept and wind up with a very different result than the one I first had in mind. Some good, some not so good. So sometimes it does happen. But, the challenges are never boring or worthless, even if they turn out to be much different than my original vision. The learning process is truly endless. (smile) 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Image result for photos of the branson belle table rock lake mo

The Branson Belle on Table Rock Lake..

Mac, you should recognize the hotel on the hill

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

I stayed in the hotel and saw a dinner show on the boat!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Good to know that your memory isn't gone yet Mac...Laugh

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

What were we talking about?