╌>

Earthquake measuring 3.8 recorded in southern Illinois felt more than 100 miles away

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  dowser  •  7 years ago  •  10 comments

Earthquake measuring 3.8 recorded in southern Illinois felt more than 100 miles away

Albion Earthquake.JPG

Location of the Albion, IL earthquake.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A small earthquake recorded early Tuesday in Illinois was felt more than 100 miles away. 

The U. S. Geological Survey confirms a 3.8 quake was centered near Albion, Illinois at 7:47 a.m .  That's about 145 miles west of Louisville. 

Several people notified WDRB in Louisville and in New Albany, Indiana that they felt the tremor. According to the Richter Scale which measures earthquake intensity, a 3.8 quake is comparable to the vibration of a passing truck. 

According to the USGS, the quake was part of the Ozark Dome Region, which borders the New Madrid seismic zone.  It covers parts of Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois. Missouri and Arkansas.  And it stretches from Indianapolis to St. Louis and south to Memphis.  

Thanks for coming by!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
1  seeder  Dowser    7 years ago

The area borders on several major fault systems-- the New Madrid seismic zone, the Rough Creek seismic zone, the Ozark seismic zone, and the New Cottage seismic system.  I just hope it doesn't get any of them stirred up...

The New Madrid fault was the location of the worst earthquake to hit the lower 48 states in recorded history.  Let's hope it stays quiet!!!

Note:  we felt nothing in Louisville...  Or, if we did, I didn't notice it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     7 years ago

When I lived in California I went through a number quakes actually some very large ones. 

We do not need another Madrid quake.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
2.1  seeder  Dowser  replied to  Kavika @2    7 years ago

Good Gosh no!!!  Most people have no idea how bad it was...  I've read a lot about it, and it would be utterly catastrophic for everyone in the area!  Last time, it rattled Charleston, SC so badly, they had to install iron bars under the floors of the houses to screw the walls back together.  It was a mess!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @2    7 years ago

I've lived in Calif from 1961, and felt many earthquakes, large and small.  The worst were Landers, Van Nuys and Baldwin Hills quakes. The caused a great deal of damage and took many lives. The Van Nuys quake caused the upper portion of a freeway there to collapse down onto the level below it and crushed many cars there are the time, causing death to many and trapping many others who managed to survive, but, also lost limbs from their crushed cars.

The one in Landers didn't shake where I was in San Diego at the time, but, shifted side to side. The car parked out in front of the house moved from one side of the large picture window, the large beams in the ceiling of the vaulted den were literally groaning and screaming as they were stretched as the house moved slowly from side to side. There was a series of three quakes, coming within minutes of each other. It was truly a very scary event. But, not the last one.

However, people who live in Calif know to expect a quake at any time, but, it doesn't happen in a cyclical or seasonal period like tornadoes or hurricanes.

My heart truly goes out to those who have managed to survive the quake in Mexico, and my prayers are with those who have lost their lives or that of their loved ones.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.1  seeder  Dowser  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2    7 years ago

I keep thinking about Mexico City, too!!!  I just hope the loss of life isn't that high...  Not looking good, though.  That school that collapsed-- how horrible!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Dowser @2.2.1    7 years ago

One reason there is such a high loss of life in older cities is due to many of the buildings being very old and not of good structure. That is true of many big cities, even here in the US. However, even the supposedly quake resistant buildings are no challenge for a truly violent quake.

I am reminded of the newly built VA hospital in Sylmar here in So Calif which was supposed to be quake resistant, but, collapsed with even a moderate quake. Luckily it had not been occupied yet.

Another moderate quake in Calexico Calf, a newly built quake resistant building collapsed during the quake that hit there only a few years ago, yet, the 100+ y/o City Hall across the street was left in tact, with only minor damage. The new building was supposed to replace the old City Hall and the old building torn down. 

So....who knows.  ???

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.3  seeder  Dowser  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2.2    7 years ago

Proving that we don't know diddley squat about earthquake movement...

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Dowser @2.2.3    7 years ago

So true, Dowser. Normally, most quakes are shakers, but, then you got those that roll, or slowly move side to side. But, any of them leaves you feeling on the inside like tossing a pebble into a pond, the ripple effect takes a while to settle. It's sort of like mild case of vertigo. stunned  

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.5  seeder  Dowser  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2.4    7 years ago

Not to mention that it is also like a slinky, in that the waves move along the fault, back and forth, and can trigger other faults to move, as well...  It's a giant network of faults.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2.6  Raven Wing  replied to  Dowser @2.2.5    7 years ago

Indeed, and Calif has a lot of faults (pun not intended. (smile)