╌>

10 disruptive Israeli companies that can wean the world off fossil fuels

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  krishna  •  7 years ago  •  3 comments

10 disruptive Israeli companies that can wean the world off fossil fuels

Solar, water, geothermal and wind power, battery techs and electric-car components are areas where Israelis are leading the renewable revolution.

ormat-1168x657.jpg

One of Ormat Technologies’ geothermal power plants. Photo: courtesy

Everyone knows that fossil fuels are an unsustainable source of energy, dirtied by pollution and politics. But global attempts to find alternatives on a mass scale have had limited success.

Could Israel be the country that finally puts fossil fuels to rest with the dinosaurs?

“When we talk about killing fossil fuels, Israel is not yet seen as tops in the world, as we are in water or cyber technologies. But in each related niche — solar energy, battery technologies and electric car components – there is tremendous respect for Israeli companies,” says clean-energy activist Yosef Abramowitz, aka “Kaptain Sunshine,” whose   Energiya Global   social development company is bringing solar power to Africa. . . .  (Read it all)

Related: 

Read more on:       Environment ,   clean energy ,   Technology ,   alternative fuels ,   StoreDot ,   Energiya Global ,   Ormat ,   Eco Wave Power ,   New CO2 Fuels ,   Leviathan energy ,   ElectRoad ,   Doral ,   Brenmiller ,   Aquarius ,   solaris synergy

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

Two early solar-energy pioneers founded in Israel,   BrightSource Energy and   Ormat Technologies , are now headquartered in the United States with myriad international projects to their credit.

BrightSource   built the world’s largest solar electricity generation installation, in California, using nanoparticle coatings developed at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Ormat built one of the world’s first solar-power fields, near the Dead Sea, and is a leading geothermal and recovered-energy generation producer.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Just another reason to outlaw BDS.

Ryarios
Freshman Silent
3  Ryarios    7 years ago

I am a firm believer in using any source of energy where it makes sense to use it.  If I had my way, we would be using all sorts of energy generation.  

Surprisingly enough, one of the biggest opponents to solar and wind are environmentalists.  Wind farms knock birds out of the sky.  Solar cells cover up too much acreage and disrupt desert dwelling animals.  no to mention the solar plants that use reflectors have other issues with animals.  The company I work for just finished up a major solar project in CA.  It's start was delayed years because of environmentalists who didn't want it built.  Then you have to deal with fluctuations in output as the winds change or clouds move.  Those can wreak havoc on a power grid.

Sadly, right now, most renewable energy generators will not be able to meet our demands for power. We still need coal or at least natural gas generators that can run at full power at anytime day or night, in stormy weather or calm, etc.  Hydro is great but they often block fish migration and steps have to be taken to deal with that - not to the collective satisfaction of all parties concerned.  Nuclear power is great for high demand power and high reliability but you have to have a realistic plan to deal with what's left over when the fuel is used up. Coal and NG are the same as nuclear as far as high demand and reliability, but they give off air pollution and ash. 

There is no perfect solution to our energy needs so I think the best answer is to use them all where they make sense. Each has advantages and disadvantages.  Tossing one form out because you don't like it only weakens our national power grids.