╌>

Massive number of comment.

Category:  meta

By:  pat-wilson  •  7 years ago  •  25 comments

Massive number of comment.

55d317f5da3f2.jpg

I’m really enjoying influx of new members on Newstalkers. It’s been really good for this site. There are a lot of strong opinions and a lot of good debate and some not so much. With this has come an enormous number of comments on many articles. And once an article has 300 or more comments the loading times are so very slow.

I’m wondering about the possibility of partitioning articles so that once an article reaches 300 plus comments a new article would appear that would have the same title but with “Part Two” or “Continued” added to the same title. I think it would make it easier to return to a comment or conversation.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Thanks !

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1  author  pat wilson    7 years ago

The loading times are soooooooooooo slooooooooooooowwwwww.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.1  Cerenkov  replied to  pat wilson @1    7 years ago

I've seen that myself. It's irritating. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Cerenkov @1.1    7 years ago

We are aware of it, and we are trying to come up with a viable solution. I could get into the tech of it, but it's because not only does NT allow the written word, it also allows videos and photos, and scripts take longer to load. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.1    7 years ago

Please don't talk tech, just fix the problem....LOLOL I'm not tech savy.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1.3  author  pat wilson  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.1    7 years ago

I hope you don't think I'm being critical, Perrie.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  pat wilson @1.1.3    7 years ago

Not at all Pat. No worries :)

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.5  Nowhere Man  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.1    7 years ago

A big part is the scripts are loading onsite content, but also there are scripts on each page that are calling content from offsite so you have the internet and outside server speeds to deal with also.

And trust me some of the content on the site is drawn by many many sites all at the same time.

Usually there is a little box in the lower left of the screen that tells you what is loading and where it has to come from......

And yeah some pages take as much as two minutes to load, and this is on a 40/200 internet connection.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1.7  Skrekk  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.1    7 years ago
We are aware of it, and we are trying to come up with a viable solution. I could get into the tech of it, but it's because not only does NT allow the written word, it also allows videos and photos, and scripts take longer to load.

It would be really nice to have an option to disable images.   That would reduce your server load too.

You should also consider the old Newsvine format which would automatically segment long threads into multiple pages.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     7 years ago

Agreed, the loading time is extreme.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3  author  pat wilson    7 years ago

It could be as simple as making it the responsibility of the seeder of an article to start a new one with "Part 2" in the title once the original reaches 300 comments.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  pat wilson @3    7 years ago

The issue arises from the threading.. people would have to pick up the various threads and that might kill the discussion. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1.1  author  pat wilson  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    7 years ago

Lol, I'm so impatient I just open another tab and read something else while the first tab loads.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  pat wilson @3.1.1    7 years ago

Don't laugh, I do the same thing Pat. 

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    7 years ago

I was going to comment on how slow articles load but being new thought it would be rude of me. had noticed that articles with more comments loaded a lot slower and so assumed that was the issue...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @4    7 years ago

It is the length of the articles that is causing it JBB. 

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
6  Studiusbagus    7 years ago

I'm not having so much of a loading problem is that I'm getting script error warnings every time log in.

Oh! And even though I opted out of getting updates, I have been clearing responses and replies to Perrie's article about discussion degrading.

Al-316
Professor Silent
7  Al-316    7 years ago

I sign in when I have a few minutes to spare. When loading takes so long, I think twice about signing in.

I get a lot of messages saying " This site is not responding" or "Do you want to recover this web page?"

But problems only arise when the article has 300 or so comments.

Al