╌>

Teen smashes Rubik's Cube record

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  9 years ago  •  19 comments

A participant solves Rubik's Cube for speed during 3X3X3 Rubik's Cube Megahouse cup championship in Tokyo, Sunday, July 25, 2010. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi)

Anyone who's ever stared hopelessly at a Rubik's Cube will be impressed by this: On Saturday in Pennsylvania, a teen set a new world record, solving a 3x3x3 cube in 5.25 seconds.

Collin Burns was participating in the final round of a competition at Central Bucks West High School in Doylestown, and though his result isn't yet listed on the World Cube Association's website , a WCA rep told Mashable yesterday, "We can confirm that this is (or will be soon) the new official WCA world record for the 3x3x3 single solve category. To our best knowledge, it has been performed in an official competition, with all the rules being followed, even the scramble has been checked for its correctness." Burns, the current US National Champion, is the first American record-holder since 2006.

The previous world record was 5.55 seconds, set by a Dutch teen, Mats Valk, in 2013 . As Business Insider noted last year, the record holder prior to Valk was an Australian teen, Feliks Zemdegs, who still holds the record for fastest average solve time, at 6.54 secondsand Zemdegs also holds the No. 3 through 8 records behind Burns and Valk.

In a Reddit AMA a couple years ago, Zemdegs explained how he does itit's complicated and involves lots of math, including dozens of algorithms and memorized twist sequences.

But, he also noted, it helps to oil up the cube so things move more quickly. Of course, we're talking about humans herelast year, a robot made out of Legos solved a 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube in just 3.253 seconds, the Verge reported.

As for Burns' feat, a WCA rep tells the Bucks County Courier Times it will likely end up in the Guinness Book of World Records.

( This guy solved a Rubik's Cube while skydiving .)

This article originally appeared on Newser: New Rubik's Cube Record: 5.25 Seconds

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

The hours I spent on trying to Master the Rubik's Cube.....sigh

deepwater don
Freshman Silent
link   deepwater don    9 years ago

Hah! I was smart enough when the Rubics Cube craze was on, to realize I was not smart enough to even attempt it. "A man's got to know his limitations".... Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry.

Nona62
Professor Silent

LOL.....I wasn't real good at it, but I was determined to be able to solve it!! (and I did a few times....Nona pats self on her back) Smile.gif

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man    9 years ago

Splitting atoms was tough, but splitting seconds?

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    9 years ago

Well everyone has to have something on their tombstone, so why not Rubik's Cube Champion

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

I have the cube, but I can't find Rubik.Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

24.gif 24.gif Splitting atoms was tough, but splitting seconds? (thirds is even tougher) 71.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

LOL I don't see that as a problem...

Nona62
Professor Silent

Flame.... WHAAAT???

Nona62
Professor Silent

Rubik got mad andleft because he couldn't solve the puzzle!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Nor can I, let alone move my fingers that fast!!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    9 years ago

Hopefully, he will be able to funnel that magnificent hand to eye coordination into a good paying career

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee    9 years ago
I couldn't solve it if given a year! I had one and ended up throwing it over a bridge. Probably a fish could get it faster than me!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Yes...but, what? I can't think of any off-hand...

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

How is it that teenaged boys seem to have the brilliance to solve the Rubik's cube? I've considered myself very lucky to get one side!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Probably a fish could get it faster than me! 24.gif 24.gif I'm sure you could do much better...

Nona62
Professor Silent

Perhaps some of them have too much time on their hands, and that's how they spend their spare time...?

Nona62
Professor Silent

Ye, it was a fun toy , for almost all ages!