╌>

White evangelical logic: A child-molester is Not As Bad As a Satanic baby-killer ... Red Rules apply.

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  bob-nelson  •  7 years ago  •  54 comments

White evangelical logic: A child-molester is Not As Bad As a Satanic baby-killer ... Red Rules apply.

White evangelical supporters of disgraced former judge Roy Moore have taken two strategies to explain why they’re sticking with the Republican Senate candidate despite multiple, credible allegations that he has a long history of child molestation.

That’s not an easy or a comfortable thing to do. Adults who prey on children sexually are generally, and rightly, viewed as morally indefensible. So how are all of these good Christian folk defending Moore?

Some opt to do so by denying all of the evidence and testimony against him. That evidence is compelling, painstakingly documented, and attested by multiple, non-partisan sources. But for white evangelicals practiced in the art of imagined “persecution,” all of that can easily be swept aside as neatly as any of the so-called evidence for the Moon landing or for the efficacy of vaccines. The idea is that Roy Moore is One Of Us, since and They are Out To Get Us, we should expect Them to make up all kinds of vicious lies, fabricating evidence. These folks believe in a global, omni-competent conspiracy against white Christians, and they’re certain that this evil conspiracy of evil is more than capable of inventing these accusations against Moore.

This is the tactic that Moore himself is urging his supporters to take, and many are following his example. We saw this in that jaw-dropping quote from the Rev. David Webb, pastor of a Clarke County Alabama church, which we looked at last week:

Rev. David Webb, pastor of the church consisting of about 200 members, said the amount of national media attention accompanying Moore’s visit was the result of “God’s purpose.”

“We’ve been praying for God to do something big, but we didn’t know he would do it,” said Webb, adding that he believes Moore will win the election, before adding that he believes his church members will vote for the ex-judge.

“Why wouldn’t they?” he said, adding that the allegations about child sex abuse against Moore are “just allegations.”

For Webb and other Christians like him, belief in this persecution conspiracy against Moore allows them to side-step the ugly utilitarian calculus that explains the continued support for Moore from many other white evangelical Christians. Those folks accept the evidence against Moore and take the allegations seriously. They understand that he very likely may be a child-molester, but they say they are still obliged to vote for him — to vote for a man they believe is a child-molester — because while that is Very Bad, it is still Not As Bad As something else.

That something else is, of course, abortion. Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey offered the clearest articulation of this view:

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey (R) said Friday she still plans to vote for GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore, despite the mounting sexual misconduct allegations leveled against him.

“I believe in the Republican Party, what we stand for, and most important, we need to have a Republican in the United States Senate to vote on things like the Supreme Court justices, other appointments the Senate has to confirm and make major decisions,”

Ivey said at a Thanksgiving turkey pardon event, according to AL.com. “So that’s what I plan to do, vote for Republican nominee Roy Moore.”

Ivey also told reporters she had no reason to disbelieve the allegations against Moore.

“I certainly have no reason to disbelieve any of them,” she said.

“Supreme Court justices” here, in white evangelical language, means abortion. It means Supreme Court justices who can be counted on to overturn Roe v. Wade and Griswold v. Connecticut. (This is what white evangelicals claim to mean by “the Supreme Court.” This claim is not true, but that’s a longer, separate topic we’ll address later.)

Gov. Ivey is making the same utilitarian calculus that every other single-issue anti-abortion white evangelical made in supporting Donald Trump for president — and in voting straight-ticket Republican in every election since 1984. Abortion is the ultimate evil — the trump-card in every game of Not As Bad As. Ivey may not be happy that she’s now forced to state, explicitly, that yes, this even means voting for a child-molester against a pro-choice opponent, but this is the only logical conclusion one can draw from the premise that she and all those other pro-Trump and pro-Moore white evangelicals claim to believe.

Granted, none of them really believes this premise. Not one. No one is capable of really doing so, and all who claim to believe exhibit dozens of glaring inconsistencies throughout their lives and their politics that demonstrate the hollowness of this pretense of a premise. (That, again, is a larger topic we’ll get back to.) But having declared their allegiance to such a premise, they’re stuck. Roy Moore may be accused of sexually abusing multiple children, and we may have no reason to disbelieve any of their allegations, but that still doesn’t make him worse than Doug Jones. Jones may seem like a nice guy, a tough prosecutor who demonstrates a real passion for the working people and families of Alabama, but he’s pro-choice. That makes him complicit in the murder of millions of innocent babies every year. That makes him a monster.

And you have to vote against the monster, even if his opponent is allegedly — or even certainly — a child molester. A child-molester is bad. A Satanic baby-killer is worse.

Ivey’s logic strikes many people as depraved — including many other white evangelicals who share Ivey’s desire to see nine anti-abortion justices on the Supreme Court. They may not like that this is where the logic of their shared premise takes them, but it does.

=============================

Original article

by Fred Clark

slacktivist

There may be links in the Original Article that have not been reproduced here.

=============================

The purpose of this seed/article is to foster serious conversation: to exchange and examine pertinent ideas. Therefore, Red Rules apply:
  - Read the article.
  - Comment on the article... Stay on topic... Be constructive.
  - Be polite.
If you do not wish to be constrained by these rules, please do not participate here.

If you have any Comments on Red Rules or my application of them, please do not post them here. Contact me by Chat or by Private Note. I will answer there. Thank you.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Bob Nelson    7 years ago

The purpose of this seed/article is to foster serious conversation: to exchange and examine pertinent ideas. Therefore, Red Rules apply:
- Read the article.
- Comment on the article... Stay on topic... Be constructive.
- Be polite.
If you do not wish to be constrained by these rules, please do not participate here. Thank you.

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
1.1  Rex Block  replied to  Bob Nelson @1    7 years ago
(deleted)

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Rex Block @1.1    7 years ago

Mod please delete, off-topic

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  seeder  Bob Nelson    7 years ago

There is no logic...

I don't agree with the idea that abortion is "baby-killing", but that's beside the point. Being against one sin does not in the slightest justify a different sin.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    7 years ago

There's some twisted logic in the comments.

Bob, I'm here to let you know you're not alone

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    7 years ago

"Some opt to do so by denying all of the evidence and testimony against him."

They should be televising the "Trail" !

oh....that's right......We DON'T have a "Trail" yet !

After 40 years of service and 40 years running for offices....THIS....THIS......THIS is the right time for people to Fucking FINALLY.....FINALLY..... FINALLY come forward....when his election could sway the Republican agenda one way or another.

What was I thinking !

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  It Is ME @4    7 years ago

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2    7 years ago

Your protesting of the entire comment run.....right ?

Your NOT just singling "It is Me" out.....right ?

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
5  1ofmany    7 years ago
(deleted)

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.1  mocowgirl  replied to  1ofmany @5    7 years ago
There is no independent evidence whatsoever that proves Roy Moore is a child molester.

When is there "independent evidence" of child molestation?

Perverts, like other criminals who do not wish to be arrested for their crimes, commit their crimes outside of anyone else's view.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
5.1.1  1ofmany  replied to  mocowgirl @5.1    7 years ago
When is there "independent evidence" of child molestation?

To start with, fingerprints, photos, video, eyewitnesses or anything else that can verify any part of a story. 

lib50
Professor Silent
5.2  lib50  replied to  1ofmany @5    7 years ago

If you are that confused about what is going on with Moore and all of the women coming forward in ALL WALKS OF LIFE,  stop commenting and try listening.  Women didin't come forward in the past because of EXACTLY the way you, Trump and others are acting!  They have to weigh the damage retaliation could do to them.  As if proof would be accepted anyway! (You don't think we've forgotten about that damn birth certificate crap, do you?)  Your attitude and lack of understanding are what needs to go away!  This isn't even about goddamn politics!  The dam burst after Weinstein and women feel empowered!   And its about ABORTION to you?  Which has to do with CONTROLLING WOMEN!  You, my friend, are part of the problem.   Time to step up and re-examine your values and the ease you justify despicable behavior for political capital.  You seem to care more about cells in a body than people already born (including children).

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.3  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  1ofmany @5    7 years ago

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.4  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  1ofmany @5    7 years ago
The other allegations against Moore involve women above the age of consent and, therefore, have nothing to do with child molestation.

The other allegations of girls just barely above the age of consent (though 16 still seems way too young for a 32 year old to be chasing, but I guess they do things different down in Alabama, a State where many have apparently picked up dates at family reunions) show that Roy Moore was a creep and not above sexually assaulting a barely younger 14 year old. It goes to character, and Roy Moore was as despicable then as he is now. Have you heard his interview about first seeing his now wife when she was just 15 at a dance recital? WTH was he doing there anyway, creeping in the back of the room watching other peoples underage daughters dance? It obviously shows he had no interest in grown women like a normal human, he is a pedophile and was creeping on young girls of which we have 9 accusers with one admitting she was only 14 at the time. And the fact that her parents were in the midst of a custody battle also shows how creepy Moore is by taking advantage of an emotionally distraught teenager.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
5.4.1  1ofmany  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.4    7 years ago
The other allegations of girls just barely above the age of consent (though 16 still seems way too young for a 32 year old to be chasing, but I guess they do things different down in Alabama.  

On the other hand, you’re not him or the teenage girl or her parent. 

Have you heard his interview about first seeing his now wife when she was just 15 at a dance recital? WTH was he doing there anyway, creeping in the back of the room watching other peoples underage daughters dance?

Who gives a shit? He eventually married her and they’ve been married for over 30 years.

It obviously shows he had no interest in grown women like a normal human

Democrats have no sense of what is normal and can’t lecture anyone else on the subject. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6  Jeremy Retired in NC    7 years ago

White evangelical supporters 

Have always supported child molesters.  They call them "Father", "Deacon", "Priest", "Cardinal" and other titles given to clergy.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
8  mocowgirl    7 years ago

The Christian faith is about males dominance over females from cradle to grave.

This is why male violence, in both verbal and physical forms, has been the norm in our society from our country's inception.

It really is not a stretch for evangelical Christians to turn a blind eye to mental, physical, and sexual abuse of females of any age because there is nothing in their religion that prohibits it.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
8.1  magnoliaave  replied to  mocowgirl @8    7 years ago

IYO.  Oh, I am sure that all of these men who have been accused of sexual molestations were Evangelical Christians.....not in this lifetime.  And, they are not all white. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9  seeder  Bob Nelson    7 years ago

OK...

So now everyone has had the opportunity to see exactly what was happening here. Pure vandalism.

I will now lock this edition...,, and start a clean copy.

And again.... and again... and again...