╌>

How to write Viral Headlines

Category:  meta

Via:  krishna  •  7 years ago  •  2 comments

How to write Viral Headlines

Why did you click through to this article? Why will some people share this article without even reading it?

The most important element of this post may not be the 4 weeks I spent researching the data or the days I spent writing up the analysis or deciding on the tables and graphics. The most important element is probably the headline. The headline will determine the number of people that click through to read the post and the number of people that share the post, many without reading it.

This is not news, we all know about the importance of headlines. However, is there a formula to viral headlines? Are there words or phrases in headlines that particularly cause articles to be shared?  For the past month I have been researching the headlines of the most shared posts in our BuzzSumo database. In this post I set out my findings, including:

The common elements of viral headlines

The top headline trigrams (three word phrases) shared on Facebook and Twitter

The most powerful words used in headlines and how these vary across networks

Eight ways to create your own viral headline

Note: We have subsequently carried out further research, in 2017 we reviewed 100 million articles and identified   the headline formats and phrases that drive the most engagement on Facebook .

(Read it all)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

Common elements of viral headlines

The first aspect I reviewed was the common structural elements of headlines. In a previous review of   the most viral posts of 2015 , I identified a number of common elements to viral posts. These are outlined in the table below.

5-elements-viral-headlines

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

Note: we have updated this trigram research and identified the top phrases in a   review of 100 million headlines .

This analysis would suggest that different phrases resonate differently on the different social networks. Thus if you are crafting content for a social post or an ad, you should draft a different headline for each network based on what resonates on that network.