╌>

Win Or Lose: The Republican Party And President Trump Are Losers On Tuesday

Category:  News & Politics

By:  docphil  •  7 years ago  •  9 comments

Win Or Lose: The Republican Party And President Trump Are Losers On Tuesday

Whether or not Judge Roy Moore wins or loses the Senatorial election in Alabama this week, the national Republican Party and President Trump are going to wake up on Wednesday morning the big losers in the election. Can Roy Moore win the election? All signs say yes. One way or the other the race is coming down to it's final days and will be, by Alabama standards, a nail biter. One way or the other, the race will probably be decided by five points one way or another. But what does this election really mean.

Look at the possibility that Roy Moore loses the election. If that would happen, one would think that the Republican party could look at that as a fairly good option. They wouldn't have to deal with a Senator that could be more of a thorn in their side than his opponent in this election. Judge Moore's positions, on issues of race, religion, foreign policy, and even voting rights are less in line with Republican ideology than almost anyone else in the party. He would be anything but a reliable vote in their caucus. The problem for the Republicans is twofold if Moore loses. First, they still will not be able to divest themselves from the stigma of having nominated and supported a man whose history was dotted with accusations of dating girls, harassing and assaulting girls between 14 and 17 years old while he was a thirty something year old assistant district attorney. It might be easier for the party to move on from this stigma if their President wasn't accused of being a serial harasser and sexual assaulter with his own admissions of guilt and even his own admission of some degree of pedophilia in walking in on young teenage girls while changing in Junior miss pageants because he was in charge. It would be easier if the party wasn't in the position of deny, deny, deny the obvious and allow people like the President and Congressman Blake Farendthold to remain in office without party pressure. The second problem that the Republicans face if Moore loses is that their razor thin margin in the Senate becomes even thinner. The already almost non-existent margin of error becomes absolutely non-existent. This in a Senate that has been unable to pass significant legislation throughout the first year of their domination of the branches of Congress.

What happens, however, if Moore wins may be a nightmare without end for the Republican party and the President. Do they seat the man? Do they move to expel him? Do they immediately move to a ethics committee investigation? If so, what else will be found out? In addition, what will Roy Moore's constant image be to the American people outside of the deepest of red states. One only has to remember that when President Trump took office his approval numbers were north of fifty percent in 26 states and now only has positive approval numbers in 11 states. His overall approval rating has dropped from 46 to 33%. The Republican party loses every national generic matchup against democrats in 2018 and if elections in New Jersey and Virginia as well as local elections in deep red Oklahoma and Kansas are any indication, the nation is headed for a massive turn-around election in 2018. All of this occurring before Roy Moore and the issue of sexual harassment and assault became front and center issues for millions upon millions of voters in this nation.

Will a Senator Roy Moore seek a new Bannonite coalition in the Senate and House that will make life increasingly miserable for both House Leader Ryan and Senate Leader McConnell? If so, can the Republicans afford that type of schism and survive. We are already seeing many old time mainstream republicans leaving the party and not knowing where they will wind up. The more the party becomes associated with the Roy Moore's of this world, the more fractured the party will be at the seams. It may be that the Republican Party comes to rue the day when Roy Moore became their poster boy in this new age of "me too" in the American equality scene.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1  MrFrost    7 years ago

I have no doubt Roy Moore will win. I just find it really sad that in Alabama there are people that will literally vote for an accused child molester over a democrat. Even more sad? Most of these people are Christians. Pretty sickening. In Alabama, that may be just fine, but the rest of the nation finds it pretty appalling. If Moore wins, it will further damage the GOP and will cost them dearly in 2018. Last elections, dems won big, electing moore will compound the problems for the GOP. 

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
1.1  author  DocPhil  replied to  MrFrost @1    7 years ago

They might as well all wear sweatshirts when they campaign saying " I support pedophiles  and other serial perverts. Vote for  me but don`the let me near your daughters"

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
2  Spikegary    7 years ago

Another 'Heads I Win, Tails You Lose' story from our brethren on the left.  I'd love to say that I am surprised, but alas, I can't.  This place is littered with these stories.  To the point of sacrificing reality for this alternate universe they seem to live in.

As to the sweatshirts, we'll have to take the 'hand-me-downs' form the left, where morality is about where it's always been for them:  Non-existent.

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
2.1  author  DocPhil  replied to  Spikegary @2    7 years ago

You won in 2016, I get it. But the bubble has burst. Every survey, every poll, every man in the street interview, every election in late 2017 says your party and your President's {I didn't vote for him even though I know him} political lives are on the skids. You can attack those of us on the left, and even those in the center, but you have got to see that the greatest drops in support come from the President's biggest supporters in 2016. Evangelicals have dropped from 78 to 61% and the great republican state of Wyoming has even dropped from 78 to 58 % approvals. Bitch all you want, but the pseudo-conservatism of the day will become an ugly footnote to history in a very short time.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
2.1.1  Spikegary  replied to  DocPhil @2.1    7 years ago

I didn't win in 2016.  America lost, because the two parties put up such poor candidates.  The Ass/U/Me thing.  Every survey/every poll said he could not win and yet here we are, and you still believe the pollsters that convinced you he could not win.  The thesis of my comment stands.

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.2  author  DocPhil  replied to  Spikegary @2.1.1    7 years ago

I couldn't agree with you more...... The 2016 election was the worst choice I've ever had in my lifetime. I've been able to vote in every election since 1968 and always had a candidate that I could be proud of....... That said, I still think that this is really a no win situation for the republicans. But it is a situation of their own making.

Capt. Cave Man
Freshman Silent
3  Capt. Cave Man    7 years ago

I'm a conservative Republican, and I would not vote for Moore.

I'd write someone in, as I would not vote for a Democrat either.

Moore is too much of a creep, in his 30's and trying to snag high school chicks, ewwww.... sick pervert.

nope, hope he loses.  Yeah, my Republicans lose a seat in the Senate, but we'll just have to suck that one up.

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
3.1  author  DocPhil  replied to  Capt. Cave Man @3    7 years ago

Thank you Cap'n...... I respect that honesty and conviction.