╌>

Famous Photographers - Part 14 - Thomas D. Mangelsen

Category:  Photography & Art

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  7 years ago  •  17 comments

tm 000.jpg
When I was considering who my next famous photographer would be I got a suggestion from Kavika to look at Mangelsen's photos. What I saw were some of the most incredible wildlife and landscape photos I've ever seen, and decided that he would be my next famous photographer.

From his official biography:

One of the most prolific nature photographers of our time, Mangelsen is as much an artist as he is a conservationist. Tom was named the 2011 Conservation Photographer of the Year by Nature's Best Photography, placing his work in the permanent collection at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History in Washington, D.C. He was named one of the 40 Most Influential Nature Photographers by Outdoor Photography. His image Polar Dance was selected by the International League of Conservation Photographers as one of the 40 Most Important Nature Photographs of All Time. He was chosen as one of Dr. Jane Goodall's Heroes of the Animal Planet and profiled in the television series of the same name. Mangelsen was named one of the 100 Most Important People in Photography by American Photo magazine and honored with Nikon's Legend Behind the Lens recognition. The North American Nature Photography Association named him Outstanding Nature Photographer of the Year, and Mangelsen also received the prestigious British Broadcasting Corporation's Wildlife Photographer of the Year Award. He was presented with an honorary doctorate from Doane College and received an Honorary Fellowship from The Royal Photographic Society.

You are now bound to enjoy not only his unforgettable wildlife photographs but also his magnificent landscapes. You will see that he travels the world in order to find his subjects. Following are 60 of his photos, and if I had the time I would have posted a lot more.

1. Polar Dance (Buzz note: This is the photo mentioned in his bio above as one of the 40 most important nature photographs of all time.)

polar-bears_1620666i.jpg

2. The Old Grist Mill  (Buzz note: I saw this photo years ago and didn't know if it was a photo or a painting, and until now did not know who the artist was. I saved it, and from time to time looked at it and fantasized owning that mill and converting it into a cottage, and I would spend a few days now and then relaxing, reading, trout fishing in that stream, cooking my meals with a wood stove and taking photos around the area.)

See the source image

3. A Summer Affair

See the source image

4.   Maroon Bells Reflection

Maroon Bells Reflection

5.  Eyes of the Wolf  (Buzz note:  This photo make me think of something Captain Jack Sparrow said in one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies:  "RUN!!!")

Eyes of the Wolf

6.   Magic Valley

Magic Valley

7.   Bad Boy of the Forest

Bad Boy of the Forest

8.   Beacon for the Faithful - French Polynesia

Beacon for the Faithful | Open Edition Art

9.   Walking the Line - Panther Chameleon

Walking the Line - Panther Chameleon

10.   A Walk in the Woods

A Walk in the Woods

11.   Catch of the Day   (Buzz note:  This is another photo of his I recall seeing years ago. I was amazed at the timing, but I saw it before I knew cameras could take a burst of photos over a couple seconds.)

See the source image

12.   A Time Forgotten - Memories of Shane

A Time Forgotten - Memories of Shane

13.   Blue Waters

Blue Waters

14.   Fire on the River

Fire on the River

15.   A Council of Three  (Buzz note:  Why does this photo make me think of my ex-wife?)

A Council of Three - Bald Eagles

16.   Northern Dance - Northern Lights, Taken in Manitoba, Canada

Northern Dance

17.   The Chosen One

The Chosen One

18.   Ear of the Wind - Monument Valley, Arizona

Ear of the Wind

19.   Teton Rush Hour

Teton Rush Hour

20.   Polynesian Dream

Polynesian Dream

21.   Racing Stripes

Racing Stripes

22.   Black Water Cove

Black Water Cove

23.   Safe Harbor - La Jolla, California

Safe Harbor

24.   Teton Memories

Teton Memories - The Moulton Barn

25.   Horseshoe Lake Loon

Horseshoe Lake Loon

26.   Winds of Change

Winds of Change

27.   Inger's Window

Inger's Window

28.   Bumblebee's Dream

Bumblebee's Dream

29.   Gift of the Rains

Gift of the Rains

30.   Shore Patrol

Shore Patrol

31.   Christmas on the Chilkat  (Buzz note:  If the name offends anyone, I'll change the title to Winter Holiday on the Chilkat.)

Mangelsen's photograph titled Christmas on the Chilkat

32.   A Change of Seasons

A Change of Seasons

33.   The Bluebonnet House

The Bluebonnet House

34.   Mother's Love - Snow Monkees

Mother's Love - Snow Monkeys

The next three images are dedicated to Kavika without whose suggestion I may never have had the enjoyment of seeing these works by Thomas D. Mangelsen, and the aggravation of trying at least 5 or 6 times to create this essay without wiping it out accidentally by hitting the wrong key.  It has taken me at least a week to present it, but it was worth the effort.  Anyway, thank you Kavika.  LOL

35.   Rocky Mountain Indian Summer

Rocky Mountain Indian Summer

36.   Fire and Sandstone - Indian Paint Brush

See the source image

37.   Indian Summer - Tundra Swans

Indian Summer - Tundra Swans

38.   Morning Light - Bull Elk

Morning Light - Bull Elk

39.   Yellowstone Clouds

Yellowstone Clouds

40.   Eyes of the Forest

Eyes of the Forest

41.   Mystical Valley of the Navajo

Mystical Valley of the Navajo

42.   Winds of the Masai

Winds of the Masai

43.   Riding Wild Winds

Riding Wild Winds | Open Edition Art

44.   Rooster Tail

Rooster Tail | Open Edition Art

45.   Land of the Rising Sun

Land of the Rising Sun

46.   A Cool Drink

A Cool Drink

47.   Breath of Winter

Breath of Winter

48.   Gentle Giant - The Silverback

Gentle Giant - The Silverback

49.   Arctic Morning

Arctic Morning

50.   Wind Dancer

Wind Dancer

51.   Bluebonnet Morning

Bluebonnet Morning

52.   Flipping Out

Flipping Out - Pacific Bottlenose Dolphins

53.   Appalachian Sojourn

Appalachian Sojourn | Open Edition Art

54.   Firelight - Bald Eagles

Firelight - Bald Eagles

55.   McKinley Reflections

McKinley Reflections

56.   Canyon Dweller - Coues Whitetail Deer

Canyon Dweller - Coues Whitetail Deer

57.   Fire in the Sky

Fire in the Sky | Open Edition Art

58.   The Bond

The Bond - Cheetahs

59.   New Fire and Ice

New Fire and Ice

60.   Heart of the Forest - Northern Spotted Owl

Heart of the Forest - Northern Spotted Owl

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I hope you enjoy these as much as I did.  If you don't want to leave a comment, please just "thumb up" this comment so I will know enough members look at these photo-essays to encourage me to continue doing them.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     7 years ago

There aren't words to describe his photos....They are beyond the beyond. 

Thank you for the dedication of the three photos, Buzz. 

Each and every photo in the essay is a masterpiece, done by the master. 

Nona62
Professor Silent
3  Nona62    7 years ago

Unbelievable!!    There are no words to describe these pic's!  Thanks for sharing them with us!!

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     7 years ago

What I find really interesting is the vast scope of his photos, animals, birds, fish from all parts of the world and all seasons.

I find the one with the porcupine looking in the window of the cabin to especially good. The dancing polar bears is a classic and one can see how it is considered one of the best wildlife photos. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

These photos are stunning. I love naturalist photography and I like about Mangelsen's photos is that he so successfully combines the subject with an artistic flair. I was looking for a photo for a mural that I want to paint in my house and I think I found one from this collection. Thanks for sharing. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    7 years ago

Which one?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
6  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Mangelsen is who I want to be when I grow up!

I saw some of these in their print form at the Mangelsen Gallery in the Denver International Airport. The prints, on various media, must be seen in person to be fully appreciated.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1  Kavika   replied to  A. Macarthur @6    7 years ago

I was at his studio/store in Park City Utah a few years ago. To see the photos in person and in the different media is really a treat. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @6    7 years ago

Are the actual prints superior because they are more vivid, because reproduction fades them, or perhaps also because they may be larger but still razor sharp?  I have made note that when a photo is larger, it somehow improves the impression of it.  Details are lost when the photo is smaller.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
6.2.1  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2    7 years ago

A combination of factors …

The prints are made with the highest quality inks, printed on the best of carriers be they canvas or papers that prevent or help colors and tones from "sinking" and fading, and, in galleries, they are viewed under "neutral color temperature" lighting.

Color monitors differ in calibration and transmission of colors which are optically mixed (RGB color), whereas pigments in a well-controlled, EXPENSIVE, HIGHLY SOPHISTICATED print process … are precise according to the specifications/objectives of artists like Mangelson.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @6.2.1    7 years ago

I knew there had to be a reason.  

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
7  magnoliaave    7 years ago

These are beautiful, thank you. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     6 years ago

I had to come back to the article and enjoy the photos one more time.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @8    6 years ago

I don't blame you. I've looked at them many times already (and many others when I had to make the tough decisions on posting only 60) and it never ceases to impress me.

I'm starting to work on my next photo-essay. It will be about a woman named Tina Modotti, who was once the lover of famous photographer Edward Weston.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1    6 years ago

Looking forward to your next essay as I'm not familiar with Tina Modotti. 

BTW, Red said to tell you what a spectacular essay this one is.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @8.1.1    6 years ago
Tell Red that I admire her excellent judgment, both in her opinion about the photo-essay, and in her having chosen to marry you.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.2    6 years ago

Will do, and I agree, she made an excellent choice in picking me....Laugh