╌>

Famous Photographers - Part 16 (Chapter 1) - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Category:  Photography & Art

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  6 years ago  •  9 comments

hcb 00.jpg

I was so impressed by the diversity of Cartier-Bresson's work, his technique, the subjects, the world wide locations and the number of great photos he has produced, that I will be posting not just this article, but three subsequent addenda. This one and the next will contain photos taken in Europe, the third will be photos taken in the Americas, and finally one of Asia, the Middle East and anywhere else. He has taken me "Around the World in 80 Hours" which is about as long a time it has taken me to admire and learn from his work, including due to some mishaps (clicking the wrong thing and wiping out all I had done so far), so here is the first of four chapters on the photography of Henri Cartier-Bresson.

The same as other famous photographers, Cartier-Bresson started off as a painter, and then became interested in photography. He led an interesting life as well, travelling the world. At one time he was arrested for illegal hunting and was released from his confinement for a few days to spend time with a photographer who gave him his first camera. During WWII he was captured by the Germans and spent years in a prisoner-of-war camp doing forced labour, but escaped successfully after a couple failed attempts. He hid in France, joined the underground, and dug up his beloved Leica in 1943 where he had buried it in a French farmland.

From Wikipedia (slightly edited by me):

Henri Cartier-Bresson August 22, 1908 – August 3, 2004) was a French humanist photographer considered a master of candid photography, and an early user of 35 mm film. He pioneered the genre of street photography, and viewed photography as capturing a decisive moment. His work has influenced many photographers.

Cartier-Bresson traveled to the United States in 1935 and spent more than three decades on assignment for LIFE and other journals. He traveled without bounds, documenting some of the great upheavals of the 20th century — the Spanish civil war, the liberation of Paris in 1944, the 1968 student rebellion in Paris, the fall of the Kuomintang in China to the communists, the assassination of Mahatma Gandhi, the Berlin Wall, and the deserts of Egypt. Among other countries he photographed in [Africa,] Berlin, Brussels, Warsaw, Prague, Budapest and Madrid.

Cartier-Bresson's photography took him to many places, including China, Mexico, Canada, the United States, India, Japan, and the Soviet Union. He became the first Western photographer to photograph "freely" in the post-war Soviet Union. In 1962, on behalf of Vogue, he went to Sardinia for about twenty days.

A famous quotation:

"Photography is not like painting," Cartier-Bresson told the Washington Post in 1957. "There is a creative fraction of a second when you are taking a picture. Your eye must see a composition or an expression that life itself offers you, and you must know with intuition when to click the camera. That is the moment the photographer is creative," he said. "Oop! The Moment! Once you miss it, it is gone forever."

Technique:

Cartier-Bresson nearly always used a Leica 35 mm rangefinder camera fitted with a normal 50 mm lens, or occasionally a wide-angle lens for landscapes. He often wrapped black tape around the camera's chrome body to make it less conspicuous. With fast black and white film and sharp lenses, he was able to photograph events unnoticed. No longer bound by a 4×5 press camera or a medium format twin-lens reflex camera, miniature-format cameras gave Cartier-Bresson what he called "the velvet hand...the hawk's eye." He never photographed with flash, a practice he saw as "impolite...like coming to a concert with a pistol in your hand."

His first Leica camera

hcb 0.jpg

He believed in composing his photographs in the viewfinder, not in the darkroom. He showcased this belief by having nearly all his photographs printed only at full-frame and completely free of any cropping or other darkroom manipulation. He insisted that his prints were not cropped as they include the first few millimeters of the unexposed negative around the image area, resulting in a black frame around the developed picture.

Presented below is a collection I've amassed of about 50 of his European photos, which will be followed in the next chapter with about 50 more European photos. Most are titled and dated, but I might not have found the title or year of all of them. In some cases I have provided my "Buzz notes". For some of the photographs there is an explanation of the subject (which may or may not have been written by the photographer himself), and in others there is an actual quotation by the photographer, in which case I introduce it with "H.C-B:"

1.   FRANCE. Marseille. The Allée du Prado. 1932.  H.C-B:  "I was walking behind this man when all of a sudden he turned around. "

PAR44992.jpg

2.   FRANCE. Paris. The Quai St Bernard, near the Gare d'Austerlitz railway station. 1932.

PAR44917.jpg

3.   FRANCE. Paris. 15th arrondissement The Quai de Javel. Plasterers. 1932.

PAR44990.jpg

4.   FRANCE. Paris. Place de l'Europe. Gare Saint Lazare. 1932.

PAR43607.jpg

5.   FRANCE. Marseille. 1932.

PAR44918.jpg

6.   SPAIN. Valencia. 1933.

PAR43605.jpg

7.   BELGIUM. Brussels. 1932.

PAR44988.jpg

8.   SPAIN. Madrid. 1933.

PAR46659.jpg

9.   SPAIN. Barcelona. Barrio Chino. 1933.  H.C-B: "The narrow street of Barcelona's roughest quarter is the home of prostitutes, petty thieves and dope peddlers. But I saw a fruit vendor sleeping against a wall and was struck by the surprisingly gentle and articulate drawing scrawled there. "

PAR43608.jpg

10.   SPAIN. Andalucia. Seville. 1933.

PAR45089.jpg

11.   SPAIN. Valencia. 1933.  Inside the sliding doors of the bullfight arena.

PAR44996.jpg

12.   SPAIN. Andalucia. Seville. 1933.

PAR45088.jpg

13.   FRANCE. Alpes-Maritimes. Vence. February 1944. French painter Henri MATISSE at his home, villa "Le Rêve".

PAR42251.jpg

14.   Martine's Legs. 1967.

PAR135509.jpg

15.   FRANCE. Paris. The Palais Royal Gardens. 1959.

PAR32270.jpg

16.   GREAT BRITAIN. England. London. Hyde Park in the grey drizzle. 1937.

PAR43606.jpg

17.   FRANCE. The Var department. Hyères. 1932.

PAR44919.jpg

18.   FRANCE. Sunday on the banks of the River Seine. 1938.

PAR45845.jpg

19.   FRANCE. Brie. 1968.

PAR19082.jpg

20.   GREAT BRITAIN. London. Coronation of King George VI. 12 May 1937.  H.B-C:  "People had waited all night in Trafalgar Square in order not to miss any part of the coronation ceremony of George VI. Some slept on benches and others on newspapers. The next morning, one who was wearier than the others, had not yet wakened to see the ceremony for which he had kept such a late vigil."   (Buzz note:  I also read elsewhere that although he was commissioned to take photos at the coronation, he took many photos, but did not take even one photo of the King and Queen.)

PAR73698.jpg

21.   GREECE. Cyclades. Island of Siphnos. 1961.

PAR18964.jpg

22.   ITALY. Abruzzo. Scanno. 1951.

PAR45590.jpg

23.   Rue Mouffetard, Paris, 1954-1999

hcb x2.jpeg

24.   A Cafe in Vieux-Port Marseilles, 1952

hcb x3.jpg

25.   The Berlin Wall, 1963

hcb x4.jpg

26.   Ile de La Cite, 1952

hcb x5.jpeg

27.   France, Town of Aubervilliers

hcb x8.Jpeg

28.   Bass Player on the Road Belgrade-Kraljevo, to Play at a Village Festival Near Rudnik, Serbia, Yugoslavia, 1965

hcb x20.Jpeg

29.   Cardinal Wysznski Celebrating Mass, Warsaw, Poland, 1956

hcb x21.Jpeg

30.   Warsaw, Poland, 1956

hcb x23.Jpeg

31.   Gestapo Informer Recognized by a Woman She Had Denounced, Transit Camp, Dessau, Germany, 1945

hcb x24.Jpeg

32.   The Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Paris, 1951  (Buzz note: A while ago I had posted a photo of them meeting with Hitler, a very friendly meeting. I read that if Hitler had conquered England, he would have set the Duke up to be king.  I think it's somewhat ironic that this photo happens to follow the previous one.)

hcb x25.Jpeg

33.   Cordoba, Spain, 1933

hcb x26.Jpeg

34.   Salerno, Italy, 1933

hcb x27.Jpeg

35.   Henri Matisse, Observing a Ceramic Vase by Pablo Picasso, Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, 1951

hcb x28.Jpeg

36.   On the Place du Tertre, Montmartre, Paris, 1952

hcb x29.Jpeg

37.   Rue de Bassano, 8th Arrondissement, Paris, 1953

hcb x30.Jpeg

38.   Briancour, Province-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France, 1951

hcb x31.Jpeg

39.   View From Notre-Dame Cathedral, Paris, 1958  (Buzz note: One gets to see lots of photos OF the Cathedral, but this is the first time I've seen a photo FROM the Cathedral.)

hcb x32.Jpeg

40.   A Spanish Scene, Village of Ariza, Aragon, Spain

hcb x34.Jpeg

41.   Madrid, 1933   (Buzz note: The look on his face seems to be one of either fear or anger.)

hcb x35.Jpeg

42.   Cafe Lipp, Saint Germain-de-Pres, 1968  (Buzz note: Cartier-Bresson caught the expression on the face of the older woman, looking at the young girl disapprovingly.)

hcb x37.Jpeg

43.   Waiting in Trafalgar Square for the Coronation Parade of King George VI, London, May 12, 1937

hcb x39.Jpeg

44.   Alpes de Haute Provence, France, 1980 

hcb x41.Jpeg

45.   Boulevard Diderot, Paris, 1969

hcb x45.Jpeg

46.   Alberto Giacometti

hcb x46.Jpeg

47.   Marseilles, France

hcb x47.Jpeg

48.   Camondo Stairs, Galata, 1964

hcb x48.Jpeg

49.   Election of Christian Democrats in Germany, 1951

hcb x49.Jpeg

50.   Bastille Day Parade, 1980s

hcb x51.Jpeg

51.   Pamplona, July 1952

hcb x52.Jpeg

52.   Taxi Drivers, Berlin   (Buzz note:  On second thought, I think I'll take the bus.)

hcb x58.Jpeg  

53.   Jeux Olympiques, Kiel, 1972  (Buzz note:  He does title many of his photos in French.)

hcb x59.Jpeg

To be continued in the next chapter (to be completed soon).

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Coming soon, more photos by Henri Cartier-Bresson.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    6 years ago

Great collection. Thanks Buzz

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

Excellent essay Buzz.

The one that you ''Buzz noted'', Fear or Anger is, IMO, a classic photo.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
4  magnoliaave    6 years ago

I simply loved them.  I agree with the "Fear or Anger".  The man was cradling his son and it is as if he was saying "what do you want...why are you here"....."leave us alone".

The other one that I really loved was No. l.  A gentlemen.....I do love gentlemen.  So proper!  I love that. 

Please bring us more. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  magnoliaave @4    6 years ago

Thanks. I'll bring the next chapter of Henri Cartier-Bresson within the next couple of days.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.1  magnoliaave  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    6 years ago

Great.  I wish more of NT would look at these.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Kavika   replied to  magnoliaave @4.1.1    6 years ago

Your right Mags, it's a shame that more members don't take the time to view these essay's..

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  magnoliaave @4.1.1    6 years ago

I don't expect it. This isn't politics or religion. It takes persons who are more cultured or diversified in their interests to be turned on by something like this.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5  pat wilson    6 years ago

Love #s 36, 37 and 45. Brilliant !

Thanks for sharing.