╌>

Driving!

Category:  Other

By:  kathleen  •  6 years ago  •  161 comments

Driving!

Driving!!!!

Tell us what your driving pet peeves are. What drives you crazy when you are driving about other drivers?

I know you have some....

For me: One of my peeves are when I pull up to make a left hand turn and someone pulls up on my right side and blocks my view.

Tell us yours...

Please, no politics or religion or race, be polite as well.  Thank you.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2  lady in black    6 years ago

Driving under the speed limit in the fast lane on a highway......staying 20 car lengths from the vehicle in front of you.  braking every 2 seconds because you are up the person's butt in front of you.  Not watching out for motorcycles.

charger 383
Professor Silent
4  charger 383    6 years ago

Radar cops

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
5  Raven Wing    6 years ago

I agree with the tailgaters. They get on your back bumper and seem to try and force you so go over the speed limit, both on and off the freeway. I can't afford a speeding ticket, nor have my car insurance go up for getting one. If they can afford it and want to pay the extra costs, they can dang well go around me and speed to their hearts content. Age has nothing to do with it, I have been this sine I got my license at age 16. My Father being a police officer taught me the monetary woes of going over the speed limit, as well as being against the law.

Other things that I dislike are;

Those who feel they own the road and drive over the line into my lane.

Those that endlessly and suddenly weave in and out of traffic.

Those who cut you off because they waited until the last minute to get in the lane they need to make a turn or exit from.

Those who leave their turn indicators on for blocks or miles where you never know if, when and where they are really going to turn. Then flip you off if you try to let them know their turn indicator is on.

Those who are obviously near deaf from having their boom box full blast and think everyone else enjoys the same music they do blast everyone else's ears.

Those who are in the left turn lane and then suddenly pull out in front of you when they decide to turn in the other direction.  

These are some of the things that I truly dislike about other drivers. Not to mention the motorcyclists and bikers. (groan)

TTGA
Professor Silent
5.2  TTGA  replied to  Raven Wing @5    6 years ago
Those who cut you off because they waited until the last minute to get in the lane they need to make a turn or exit from.

I saw that a lot down near you in Southern California Raven.  It was a big problem even when I was living there back in the early 70's.  I can't imagine it's gotten any better.  A lot of it is because of the complex way the freeways are built.  You have to be in the correct lane for your exit at least two miles before you reach it or you never will get over in time.  Someone who is not familiar with the area can have all kinds of problems.  The locals think they're stupid but all it really is, is that they haven't driven there before.

Happened to my wife in 1971.  She was driving from Long Beach to San Diego and almost missed the last exit.  After that, her next stop would have been Tijuana (and I don't think she really wanted to go there).

They have the same problem in Chicago.  I absolutely hate driving there (at least in the downtown part of the I-94 Freeway).  Nine exits within a mile.  Six lanes to choose from, different lane for each exit, traffic at about 70-80 mph and nobody lets you in.  My wife, on the other hand, has no problem at all there.  That may be because she grew up in Kenosha, WI, only about 60 miles North of Chicago and a big piece of her on the road driver ed was in the city.  She absolutely hates driving in Detroit, where I have no problem at all (I grew up a hundred miles North of Detroit and have driven there often).  Going into Chicago on the Skyway is another matter, not too many exits or too many lanes but the drivers there change tires at 60mph.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  TTGA @5.2    6 years ago

Years ago in our area, a guy was on the interstate, and he missed his exit.  Instead of going to the next exit and turning around, he had the bright idea to stop and back up to an emergency vehicle turnaround he'd just passed.  With 70 mph heavy traffic.  Needless to say, it didn't end well.  IIRC, his son-in-law, who was riding in the back seat, was killed, and he and his wife were hurt pretty badly.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

Left lane hogs.

Tailgaters. 

People who pass, then slow down to a lower speed than I was going before they passed.

People who hang out slightly behind me in the left lane, preventing me from changing lanes when we're catching up to slower traffic.  They always trap me behind a semi.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
7.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7    6 years ago
People who hang out slightly behind me in the left lane, preventing me from changing lanes when we're catching up to slower traffic.

Or the even bigger assholes who suddenly speed up just to freeze you  the right lane. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @7.1    6 years ago

I hate those people.

One time, I was driving along the interstate, headed for vacation.  At a rest area, a semi merged into traffic, and the person at the head of traffic in the left lane just stayed right next to him.  For miles.  I could see a good ways in my rearview mirror, and it was headlights packed together in both lanes for as far as I could see, all held in place by this one asshole.  The trucker alternately sped up and slowed down, but this guy just stayed right next to him.  People were flashing their high beams, blowing their horns.  When the truck finally got off, we all started passing him on the right.  Many middle fingers were visible.  Mine might have been one of them.

That was just dangerous - all that traffic, bunched up together for miles, because one POS wanted to play games.

Junior Participates
7.1.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @7.1.2    6 years ago

I call out "assholes" and look who answers. 

Junior Participates
7.1.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Release The Kraken @7.1.4    6 years ago

You don't ever need to ask, fish. 

Junior Participates
7.1.7  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @7.1.2    6 years ago
I know your type and you ain’t going to get past me because all you’re trying to do is get in my way.

Oh, when see assholes doing this I make sure to get in their way.  It's especially gratifying if they're driving big SUVs or some other version of substitute pecker. 

Junior Participates
7.1.8  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Release The Kraken @7.1.6    6 years ago
Thanks, homie, i was once left out when the kids chose kick ball teams and I have a little chip on my shoulder about it.

I refuse to believe it.  You?  Chip?  Unpossible!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
7.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7    6 years ago
People who pass, then slow down to a lower speed than I was going before they passed.

That's mine! Drives me nuts

Also people who won't let you make a lane change or merge. Or on the other hand those who try to use the emergency lane to get around a long bunch of cars waiting to merge.....ugh

epistte
Junior Guide
7.4  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7    6 years ago
People who hang out slightly behind me in the left lane, preventing me from changing lanes when we're catching up to slower traffic.

I hate when some idiot sits in my blind spot for 3 miles. I know that he is there but he won't speed up or slow down, so I can't pass.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.4.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  epistte @7.4    6 years ago

It's dangerous, too, as it's easy to lose sight of them, and checking over your shoulder forces you to take your eyes off the road ahead of you.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Although I have not driven now for more than a decade, I do recall pet peeves, some are the same as most, such as tailgating, loud music, remaining in the passing lane, while others are overusing the horn (blasting it much longer than needed, as if to punish), double parkers (and in Boston, triple parkers as well), failing to give way to emergency vehicles, racing in the emergency/parking lane to get past a line of stopped cars or slow traffic, failing to be courteous to those attempting to enter a lane, running traffic signals, blocking intersections, and on and on......

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9    6 years ago

2438de1f.jpeg

lady in black
Professor Quiet
10  lady in black    6 years ago

Any idiot texting....true story happened a few weeks ago.

On my way home, snowy roads, traffic backed up...a car kept inching towards the lane I was in (middle), she was in the left, traffic came to a stop, (I drive a pick up), I glanced over and the woman in said car had her cellphone on her lap and kept looking down, she obviously was doing this while driving hence her creeping into my lane.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
11  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

Drivers who try to merge 1,000 feet before the merge point on a packed roadway, thus screwing up an extra 1,000 feet of traffic.  Merge at the merge point people.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
12  TᵢG    6 years ago

Inconsiderate people.

#1 - Those who leave multiple car lengths of space when making a left turn.   They apparently do not realize that while they have plenty of time to make it through the light, those behind are going to get cut off.   

#2 - Those who feel they are supposed to be first in line.   For example, driving in a merging lane (because the other drivers have left it free because they are waiting in line in the real lane) and then gunning it to jump in front of the first in line.

#3 - Those who are distracted while waiting at a stop light and fail to recognize that the damn thing is now green.

#4 - Those who pull out from a parking lot into traffic and force the traffic to break because they have not timed their entrance (or don't care)

#5 - Those who drive the speed limit (or below) in the passing lane

#6 - Those who slow down (considerably) in the passing lane well before they move over into the middle lane to execute their left turn

#7 - Those who speed up (to block you) when they see you look to see if you can move to the next lane (in front of them)

#8 - Those who travel well below the speed limit on a one lane road.

#9 - Those in a parking lot who block everyone by waiting for an exiting party to pack their car, strap the kids into their seats and slowly back out of the space.

#10 - Those who follow traffic through the intersection after the light is red (the cross traffic has already started moving)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @12    6 years ago
#9 - Those in a parking lot who block everyone by waiting for an exiting party to pack their car, strap the kids into their seats and slowly back out of the space.

Often when other spaces are available, but would require them to walk more than 20 paces to the door.

epistte
Junior Guide
12.2.3  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @12.2    6 years ago
Often when other spaces are available, but would require them to walk more than 20 paces to the door.

I'd rather park in the back 40 and walk a few yards because those spots near the door are where door dings tend to happen.

I hate when idiots leave the shopping cart in the parking space, even when there is a cart corral 20 feet away.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
12.3  pat wilson  replied to  TᵢG @12    6 years ago

I'm guilty of #2. But rarely am I the only one proceeding in that lane. We merge, no harm no foul.

#10 is one hefty traffic ticket where I live. It's considered running a red light.

#11 those that cause gridlock irritate me the most.

This one is more about parking than driving. Those who have very sensitive car alarms that go off when someone walks by. These people park on my street and then go off someplace where they will never hear that alarm going off. The nearby residents have to suffer, ugh !

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
12.5  arkpdx  replied to  TᵢG @12    6 years ago
#3 - Those who are distracted while waiting at a stop light and fail to recognize that the damn thing is now green.

How do you feel about people that stay at a stop sign and wait for the light to change? I admit to doung that a time or two and was relieved that no was around to see what i did. ( it was always late at night )

TᵢG
Professor Principal
12.5.1  TᵢG  replied to  arkpdx @12.5    6 years ago
How do you feel about people that stay at a stop sign and wait for the light to change?

Cannot say I have ever run across that one.  :)

Pedro
Professor Participates
13  Pedro    6 years ago

My only real issue is with drivers who are erratic or driving much slower than the actual speed limit. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
14  Enoch    6 years ago

Dear Friend Kathleen: As a Rabbi and Chaplain two sets of driving habits irk me more than all others.

First, when we leave a Congregation and drive in line to a cemetery for the interment, those not involved in the funeral procession from one place to the other who cut in the line and break up the procession.

This seems to me the height of the self-absorbed.

People in mourning have quite enough on their minds without this discourtesy.

Second involves any school bus, including those for public and private schools, medicabs and medibuses for disabled and healthy students alike.

When the driver flashes the red lights and uses the red eight sided stop sign, other drivers must cease and desist form traveling. 

This is so students can safely enter or exit the vehicle.

The young are at risk when drivers pass those buses anyway.

Whether it is disrespecting the dead and mourning, or endangering youth I have zero tolerance for such misconduct.

E.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
14.2  lennylynx  replied to  Enoch @14    6 years ago

Lol, correct me if I'm wrong. Enoch, but it sounds like you've been to more than your fair share of funerals!  Happy

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  lennylynx @14.2    6 years ago

Most likely because he officiates at them.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
14.2.2  Enoch  replied to  lennylynx @14.2    6 years ago

Dear Friend Lennylynx: What our good friend Buzz said.

E.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
14.3  Spikegary  replied to  Enoch @14    6 years ago

As a Chauffeur for a couple Limousine Services, back when I was living in Virginia, we did a lot of funeral work, Arlington and all the other local cemetaries.  Not glamorous work, but it puts food on the table.....and yes, people cutting into a funeral procession seem to be the ultimate self-absorbed south ends of north bound horses around.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
15  Freefaller    6 years ago

Meh I try not to get too wrapped up in what I can't control. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
17  charger 383    6 years ago

I hate left side entry ramps on Interstates, especially where west I-66 joins south I-81, near Strasburg, VA 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
18  Spikegary    6 years ago

1.  If you're not passing, get out of the passing lane.

2.  Plan your actions ahead, if you're going to pass someone on a highway, look, signal, look, change lanes smoothly, pass, signal, look, look again, ease back in-riding up on someone then whipping out with a foot to spare from their back end is stupid and dangerous.

3.  Pass and keep up your speed, don't pull in and slow down.

4.  Stay off my rear.  I should be able to see the front end of your car in my mirror, if I can't you are too close.

5.  At a traffic light, you don't need to pull up to my back bumper....chain reaction accidents happen like that.  Stop so you can see where my back tires touch the ground.  Any closer is too close.

6.  Use your turn signals.  God invented them for a reason.

7.  When turning off a 55 MPH country road, you don't need to come to a full stop to make the turn.  Your SUV won't roll over.

8.  Get off your phone, stop frigging texting-you aren't that important, nothing you have to say can't wait.

9.  When you park, do it between the lines, don't open your door into other people's vehicles.  If you have that little space, park somewhere else.

10.  During commuting hours, go the speed limit....we're not tourists, we are on our way to work.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
20  luther28    6 years ago

Tailgaters, causes me to wish for a Photon Torpedo launcher in my trunk.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
22  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

Blocking intersections. The green light is a suggestion not a command. Go on the green if you can safely and if you have room. If you will block an intersection on the green...then DON"T!

One of these days I'm going to ram the person who just blocked my way

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
22.1  Spikegary  replied to  Trout Giggles @22    6 years ago

Might want to  delete that last sentence.....you know....just in case....can't prove intent.....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
22.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Spikegary @22.1    6 years ago

I'm deadly serious

bccrane
Freshman Silent
22.2  bccrane  replied to  Trout Giggles @22    6 years ago

You just said green was a suggestion not a command, if there is someone there just be patient give them the room to move.  

Reminds me of another, when long trucks are making a right turn and I am going to make a left, I hang back from the corner to give the truck room to clear the corner without rolling the curb or running through the ditch, I had to wait through several light changes once because the cars in the left turn lane wouldn't yield for a semi who had to make a wide right turn to avoid taking the street signs down.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
22.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  bccrane @22.2    6 years ago

It's a small intersection. They could have held back and waited for another green instead of making me wait for another green, right?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
22.2.2  Freefaller  replied to  bccrane @22.2    6 years ago
I hang back from the corner to give the truck room to clear the corner

Thank you

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
22.3  arkpdx  replied to  Trout Giggles @22    6 years ago

I hate that also. (See we can agree on some things😋😁). I was gratified one day that i saw two cars do that at the same time. There were two motorcycle cops at that same corner. I loved it when they pulled each car over. 😀😁🙌👏🙌👏

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
23  arkpdx    6 years ago

One of mine is when traffic is heavy and you stop before entering the intersection even tbough your light is green. Traffic moves a bit and there is now room for you across the intersection and your light is still green and some jackwad turns right into your space. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
24  lady in black    6 years ago

Drivers that have no clue how to drive when there are snowy and icy conditions.  Especially people with 4 wheel drive that think they are invincible.  

bccrane
Freshman Silent
24.3  bccrane  replied to  lady in black @24    6 years ago

Being from Michigan I've been asked by several people to the south how you drive in this stuff and my best advice is don't panic.  Most people when they feel a wheel slip immediately slam on the brakes when most of the time you just need to let up on the gas.  Don't follow too close and leave plenty of room to stop.  If you have access to an area with snow and ice and no obstacles practice recovery techniques.

epistte
Junior Guide
24.4  epistte  replied to  lady in black @24    6 years ago
Drivers that have no clue how to drive when there are snowy and icy conditions.

I love to see the idiots in expensive SUVs on their side in a ditch because they think that their shiny new toy can repeal the laws of physics.  It's amusing to see these rich idiots in their BMW or Lexus blow by everyone doing 45MPH in snow and then you see this moron on their side 2 miles up the road because they tried to drive 65mph in whiteout conditions.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
25  bccrane    6 years ago

How about this one, a pickup hauling a 30 foot fifth wheel trailer pulling out onto a four lane, jumps on it to get out in front of you and takes all four lanes to complete the turn causing you to slam on your brakes when all he had to do was wait a few seconds to let me pass because there was no one behind me.  And people hauling trailers and weaving in and out of traffic like the trailer wasn't behind them.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
25.2  lady in black  replied to  bccrane @25    6 years ago

Any scenario where there is no one behind you and they cut in front of you.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
25.2.1  Spikegary  replied to  lady in black @25.2    6 years ago

Every morning I drive Dysinger (55 MPH road) and people just roll right through the Stop Sign on Bowmiller into traffic, then get pissed when you run up on them (half of them drive like 1/10th of a mile and turn left on Crosby).

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
28  arkpdx    6 years ago

Another thing that irked me was the one day I was driving in rush hour traffic and there was a car two feet in front of me and cars on both sides and nine of us were going faster than 5 MPH.  The jackass behind me starts flashing his bright light at me like he thinks or he or I can go anywhere any faster. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
28.1  Freefaller  replied to  arkpdx @28    6 years ago

LMAO I once had someone like that behind me, we were all stuck in rush hour traffic not going anywhere in much of a hurry and this pickup driver is behind me honking his horn and flashing his lights.  Eventually traffic opens up and he keeps following me, follows me off the exit and chased me through the suburbs of Cambridge.  No probs as I had a little sports car and lost him easily, but what a loser.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
28.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  arkpdx @28    6 years ago

Had that happen at interstate speeds, or just below, a few years back.  I was in the left lane, passing.  Yes, I was going below the speed limit.  But that was because the truck in front of me in the left lane was going below the speed limit.  I can't go any faster than the person in front of me, so if you flash your high beams in my eyes anyway, you're risking a brake check.  Not you in particular, or course.  The jerk who tried to make me push a truck down the road.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
28.3  Spikegary  replied to  arkpdx @28    6 years ago

On the way to work and on the way home, the roads ar emostly 2 laners, and there's always the guy (sometimes the gal) that will sit right behind me while I'm going as fast as the car in front of me, wanderign to the left and sitting right on my back bumper.....its like, how do you expect me to go faster....there's a vehicle in front of me.........and even more if I'm doing 60 in a 55.....it's like, what, I'm not speeding fast enough for you?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
28.3.1  Freefaller  replied to  Spikegary @28.3    6 years ago
I'm not speeding fast enough for you?

Lol obviously not

epistte
Junior Guide
29  epistte    6 years ago

I hate people who use cell phones behind the wheel and left lane bandits.

Those who don't use turn signals deserve a dishonorable mention.

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
30  tomwcraig    6 years ago

Control Freak Drivers: Drivers that speed up when you are in a passing zone and slow down when you have no way to legally pass them (ie in a no-passing zone or vehicles oncoming or surrounding you).

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
30.1  Transyferous Rex  replied to  tomwcraig @30    6 years ago

Yes! Double Yes!

Brief story of justice...

I had some jerk giving me this treatment one day. It was a little after sun down, hill country, 2 lane highway. Little opportunity to pass, but there are intermittent truck lanes, that allow trucks to move to the right and let others pass them going up hills. This jerk was doing 15 under when there was no opportunity to pass, but would do at least 15 over when there was. Unbeknownst to him, a state trooper joined our little train, and followed for for a few miles while the guy did 15 under. As soon as we got to a trucking lane, I tried to pass, using the trucking lane. Trooper falls in behind me, but the jerk stays in the left lane and goes from 50 to 85, in his effort to remain the lead car. Trooper reroutes and pulls the jerk over. Sweet justice. 

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
31  nightwalker    6 years ago

Well, people who drive like there is 28" of fresh powder on the ground before any pavement is even wet yet, and this is the way a few people drive when it starts to drizzle. It seems the bigger the vehicle, the more cautious they drive too.

AND EVERY ONE OF THEM KNOWS MY CAR AND RADIOS AHEAD SO ONE AT LEAST IS IN FRONT OF ME AT ALL TIMES!!!

Don't know what they drive in good weather, but I bet it's a small car.

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
31.1  nightwalker  replied to  nightwalker @31    6 years ago

OH, or people who for some reason want to drive side-by-side with even though there's no traffic for 30 yards around you. They may also suddenly decide they HAVE to be in your lane and trust their signal to protect them. That's happened to me several times.

I don't think even GPS can help them.

SMH

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
32  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

My son and I saw somebody almost get t-boned tonight at an intersection.  They were going in the opposite direction from me, and had the green light.  I was turning left, so I was waiting for them to clear, and a car ran the red light and almost got them.  My son said the driver of the car that ran the red light was looking at her cell phone.