╌>

Tucker Carlson Turns On Trump: 'Imagine If Barack Obama Had Said That'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  6 years ago  •  46 comments

Fox News   host   Tucker Carlson doesn’t criticize Donald Trump very often, but he did so on Thursday night after the president suggested   taking guns away from potentially dangerous people before due process. 

“Imagine if Barack Obama had said that,” Carlson said. “Just ignore due process and start confiscating guns.”

(Link)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

“Imagine if Barack Obama had said that,” Carlson said. “Just ignore due process and start confiscating guns.”

Actually there's nothing to imagine. If Obama said it it would've been wrong (whatever it was that he said). But if Trump says the same thing is all good.

Simple!

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

Carlson said   Obama   would’ve been “denounced as a dictator” for making such a comment.

“We would have denounced him first, trust me,” Carlson said. “Congress would be talking impeachment right now. Some would be muttering about secession.”

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.1  pat wilson  replied to  Krishna @2    6 years ago

You'll only hear crickets from our conservative friends on this.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
2.1.1  Transyferous Rex  replied to  pat wilson @2.1    6 years ago

No, it is disconcerting for sure. I don't see anyone defending it. If he were to promote it more, I think I'd be safe in saying the pitchforks would come out.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Transyferous Rex @2.1.1    6 years ago

Actually, somebody responded to me that trump is merely "fishing" when I mentioned his little faux pas

So, yeah, NT trump supporters are defending him....still

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.1.3  Skrekk  replied to  Transyferous Rex @2.1.1    6 years ago
No, it is disconcerting for sure. I don't see anyone defending it.

The good thing about our new Fuhrer is that you can just wait an hour or two and his position will be the opposite of what he just told you.    Besides which his only real loyalty is to Putin and the NRA.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
2.1.4  Randy  replied to  Skrekk @2.1.3    6 years ago
Besides which his only real loyalty is to Putin and the NRA.

And given a choice he'll pick Putin. Putin has something on him and until we find out what that is we are all in danger.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Carlson knows that Trump is an idiot.  Like the rest of them though, he has sold his own integrity and credibility down the river in exchange for conservative executive orders. 

His criticism of Trump was an anomaly. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4  Split Personality    6 years ago

I caught the tail end of Ingalls with Karl Rove on Fox and Karl wasn't pulling any punches - he is clearly having difficulty with Trumps policy

and he wasn't willing like the host tried, to bring HRC or Obama into the discussion.

Shep has also rocked the conservative network recently.

Could Fox may be coming a wee bit toward the center?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Split Personality @4    6 years ago
Could Fox may be coming a wee bit toward the center?

It just looks that way.  When compared to Trump's rhetoric, even the most extreme rightie looks moderate.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Split Personality @4    6 years ago

Fox is slowly moving to the dark side, but seriously....isn't the goal of the left to confiscate the guns of law abiding citizens, leaving guns only in the hands of criminals? What is trying to do is see how serious the liberals are in adopting some kind of "sensible" gun control, and why the object to armed guards and metal detectors in schools.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2    6 years ago

No, I think your entitled to any bona fide single shot hunting rifle or shotgun available.

I think if the Founding Fathers had any idea of what weapons inventions were to follow, that they may have been a bit more specific about what each household should have for self defense

or call to states or national defenses.

It all comes back to that first sentence.  "A well regulated militia"

Maybe we can make every gun club a local militia, make joining it mandatory to keep your semi automatic anything and impose hours of practice, competency levels and continuing education hours.

Maybe when it's well regulated, buying dozens of ARs will lose it's allure.

The answer is not more guns and we shouldn't have to send our kids to "day prison" to keep them safe for part of the day.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.1    6 years ago
The answer is not more guns and we shouldn't have to send our kids to "day prison" to keep them safe for part of the day.

The Founders were very intelligent and knew that weapons would evolve and become more effective over time. What worried them was the idea of government someday taking their weapons away. You and I both know that new gun laws and prohibitions will never work because of the millions of guns already in circulation. There is no way that law abiding citizens, or, criminals, will ever give them up. Sounds like you don't trust in certified and trained people to protect your kids. And that might include some teachers doing concealed carry. I'm sorry, but the serenity and innocence of Leave It To Beaver and Happy Days is long gone.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.3  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.2    6 years ago

Certified and trained deputy(s)  failed to enter the building in Parkway while their was still shooting occurring

as they discussed establishing a perimeter and staging point.

80 million gun owners own over 300 million weapons and untold rounds of ammo.

The answer is not more firepower or more weapons.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.2.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2    6 years ago

IMO you can have any single shot weapon you wish, no semi or fully automatic weapons, period. 

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
4.2.5  Uncle Bruce  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.2.4    6 years ago

Cool.  You're opinion, and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.2.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  Uncle Bruce @4.2.5    6 years ago

Yep.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.2.7  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.2    6 years ago
The Founders were very intelligent and knew that weapons would evolve and become more effective over time.

Yeah, kinda like the Wright brothers foresaw stealth fighters, or da Vinci foresaw the Apache. 

TTGA
Professor Silent
4.2.8  TTGA  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.1    6 years ago

I think your entitled to any bona fide single shot hunting rifle or shotgun available.

Totally wrong.  The term is "arms", which means the same arms carried by a soldier in the national army.  In those days, the individual soldier carried a flintlock musket.  Today, the individual soldier carries an M-4, which is a machine gun.  So, the citizen should be able to purchase a machine gun if he/she wishes to do so.  Whatever the Army has, the citizens should have.

It all comes back to that first sentence.  "A well regulated militia"

Wrong.  The Heller decision, which IS NOT going to be changed, any more than Roe v Wade is going to be changed, says that the right is individual and is not dependent on any service in a militia or other military force.

The answer is not less guns either.  If you don't want to send your kids to "day prison", learn to home school or put them into a private school.  Neither we nor the Federal Government are going to hold your hand or help you do the things that are totally your responsibility.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
4.2.9  Randy  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.2.4    6 years ago
IMO you can have any single shot weapon you wish, no semi or fully automatic weapons, period.

Considering when the 2nd Amendment was written I fully support every American's right to own a single shot, muzzle loading firearm. Both rifle and side arm. In fact as many of them as they wish. Just like the writers of the Bill or Rights intended.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.10  Split Personality  replied to  Randy @4.2.9    6 years ago

Don't forget swords daggers and bayonets.....

brass knuckles and batons !

/s

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.11  Split Personality  replied to  Uncle Bruce @4.2.5    6 years ago

$1.50  won't get you squat at Starbucks.........

Randy
Sophomore Participates
4.2.12  Randy  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.11    6 years ago

It might get you a laugh...  ;-)

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.13  Split Personality  replied to  TTGA @4.2.8    6 years ago

When decent people have had enough senseless slaughter in this country they will start the contractions, like a boa constrictor, one vote at a time.

Sales will slow or be outlawed one store, one state at a time.

Magazines will be regulated or outlawed one state at a time.

Existing "arms" will go up in value and people will be more and more reluctant to part with them.  Maybe they will actually lock them up the way they are supposed to.

Humans are so effed up, that killing will never stop, but maybe we can decrease it by taking away the easiest path to destruction that some seem determined to seek.

Maybe we can go back to expecting our kids to come home from school, the movies or the mall, alive,  uninjured and without PTSD.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.14  Split Personality  replied to  Randy @4.2.12    6 years ago

for the tip jar maybe, Wink

Randy
Sophomore Participates
4.2.15  Randy  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.13    6 years ago
Maybe we can go back to expecting our kids to come home from school, the movies or the mall, alive,

That makes me miss my childhood. I went to a one room school house in the country in rural Michigan from 2nd grade through 6th. The school had one teacher, Mrs Mays and she taught K-8th all in that one school. I have a picture of our entire class when my sister and I were in 3rd grade. In fact we were the entire 3rd grade. There were 27 students all together and out of them myself and my 5 sisters were the biggest family in the school. All kids should have that peace in their past.

Oh and after the school was closed when I was in the 6th grade and we all had to go to Hopkins elementary in the big city of 600 people, my littlest and 6th sister, Cheri Lynn (who didn't get to go to the one room school), went to Hopkins elementary and her teacher in 2nd grade was...Mrs Mays. Mrs Mays managed to teach myself and all 6 of my sisters. My whole family. Poor woman. ;-)

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.2.16  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2    6 years ago

but seriously....isn't the goal of the left to confiscate the guns of law abiding citizens, leaving guns only in the hands of criminals?

Oh no, he’s on to us ... I hope he doesn’t discover our deeper plot of putting all the dead bodies into a meat grinder and serving it at upscale restaurants.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.2.17  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2    6 years ago
isn't the goal of the left to confiscate the guns of law abiding citizens, leaving guns only in the hands of criminals?

I have never seen anyone on the left propose any legislation that would support that claim. It may be what the right wing radicalized media is saying, but it's not the truth. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.2.18  arkpdx  replied to  MrFrost @4.2.17    6 years ago

That is their ultimate goal,  the disarming of the law abiding citizen. The criminals will still have weapons because by definition they are not law abiding and wouldn't give up their guns. We can't keep all criminals away from obtaining guns now, what makes you think that passing another law will change that? 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    6 years ago

I remember when people cried that Obama will come for the guns.  He didn't.  Trump wants to and has said so.  But will he just go after those people who can be proven a threat or anyone he simply perceives as one?

TTGA
Professor Silent
5.1  TTGA  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    6 years ago

I remember when people cried that Obama will come for the guns.  He didn't. 

He tried and got shot down by the Congress.  Then, he tried again with Executive Orders which are being repealed. 

If Trump wants to lose all of his supporters and lose the 2020 election, all he needs to do is go anti gun.  He would then never get past the 2020 primary season.  Much as his supporters despise professional politicians, they will not tolerate anti gun.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
5.1.1  Randy  replied to  TTGA @5.1    6 years ago

Obama never once tried to take away any guns away from law abiding citizens. Not once. In fact he expanded gun rights to make it legal to carry guns in public parks.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Randy @5.1.1    6 years ago

White House: Executive action to narrow the "gun show loophole"
President Obama to discuss actions during live town hall event Thursday night

The White House is seeking to expand background checks for buyers. The measure clarifies that individuals "in the business of selling firearms" register as licensed gun dealers, effectively narrowing the so-called "gun show loophole," which exempts most small sellers from keeping formal sales records.
 But I also believe that we can find ways to reduce gun violence consistent with the Second Amendment."
Obama said Congress, which blocked a tougher gun bill in 2013, still needs to impose new gun control measures. He noted that many of the actions he's calling for can only be imposed through legislative action.
"Congress still needs to act," Obama said. "The folks in this room will not rest until Congress does. Because once Congress gets on board with common-sense gun safety measures, we can reduce gun violence a whole lot."
"But we also can't wait," Obama added. "Until we have the Congress that's in line with the majority of Americans, there are actions within my legal authority that we can take to help reduce gun violence and save more lives."
In addition to expanding and bolstering the background check system to cover sales that take place online and at gun shows, Obama said the administration will provide more funding for mental health treatment, FBI staff and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco Firearms and Explosives agents.

On Capitol Hill, the reaction from Republicans was just as Obama had predicted.

House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, said Obama's actions "will no doubt be challenged in the courts" and "can be overturned by a Republican President."

Oh the horrors, more funding for mental health, FBI and ATF.

Sounds like Trump, does it not?

But if Obama said it, it's an attack on the Constitution....

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  TTGA @5.1    6 years ago

He will never loose his brainless supporters no matter what he does.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
6  Rmando    6 years ago

I'm sure liberals are surprised over this. They're used to watching msnbc hosts who never deviate from DNC talking points.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Rmando @6    6 years ago

Soooo... that is an admission that you are a blatant hypocrite? 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
6.1.1  Rmando  replied to  Thrawn 31 @6.1    6 years ago

Where are you getting that from?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
6.1.2  Randy  replied to  Rmando @6.1.1    6 years ago

I saw it...

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    6 years ago

I'M afraid everyone is missing the point here.  As far as Trump saying this, that or anything, I believe it prudent to gulp down a hefty glass of Windsor Canadian and ponder it for a while.

As far as Carlson, he's only on Fox for his tantalizing leg shots.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1  pat wilson  replied to  bbl-1 @7    6 years ago

I miss the bow ties.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  pat wilson @7.1    6 years ago

Yeah.  Wonder why he ditched them?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
7.1.2  Randy  replied to  bbl-1 @7.1.1    6 years ago

You can blame that on Jon Stewart. He was on an episode of "Crossfire" when Tucker was still on CNN and Jon was still doing The Daily Show. Tucker thought Jon was going to be funny, but Jon wanted to jump on their case about how their show was just about arguing with no point or solutions (it was to) and that it just generated heat with no purpose. He said that "Crossfire" was a joke and that he wasn't there to be their "monkey". He said that they had a responsibility to have guests on and to discuss topics that would lead to some solutions, instead of just yelling at each other. Then he asked Tucker how old he was and Tucker told him (I don't remember the age, but he was quite young) and Stewart said something along the lines of "And you're wearing a bow tie? It's a costume! You're wearing a costume!" Not long after that Tucker ditched the bow tie. Still has the same vacant, the lights are on but nobody is home, look on his face most of the time, but no bow tie.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1.3  bbl-1  replied to  Randy @7.1.2    6 years ago

Thanks for the info.  Very interesting. 

At least Carlson got himself one of those gigs where he's vastly overpaid because his best qualification is his vacuuous intellect.   I have watched him a few times.  He sticks to the script and is lost if the conversation drifts into any other perspective.  I have little respect for him.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  bbl-1 @7.1.1    6 years ago

Maybe it was the comparison to him and Pee Wee Herman.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    6 years ago

I kind of assumed Trump was talking about Gun Violence Restraining Orders, which some states have. In California, I think family or the cops can get a GVRO, which takes a person's guns away for 21 days. The burden is then on the person seeking the order to show that the defendant is so mentally unstable that the order should be for longer. Last year, I think something like 10 people in the state had the GVRO extended up to a year.

The devil is in the detail on these things, but I think in general, it's not a terrible idea.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
9  Cerenkov    6 years ago

The liberals here supported that right here last year, with respect to terrorist watch lists. I thought they would support Trump in the same way...