2. "Man on Wire" (2008)

1. "I Am Not Your Negro" (2017)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

I can't believe they left Michael Moore off this list. "Bowling For Columbine" is one of the best and most effective documentaries ever made, as is "Roger And Me". 

Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room, Life Itself, Hoop Dreams, Inside Job, the documentary about Joan Rivers (the title escapes me) , When We Were Kings, and Dear America : Letters From Vietnam were all documentaries I really liked.  But the one that affected me the most I think was the documentary a few years ago about Glen Campbell's last tour after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's. It was unforgettable. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

Victory at Sea was the best documentary ever. Remarkable achievement in that era of TV  1952-53. Mostly in black and white if I remember correctly. Michael Moore has no credibility whatsoever when it comes to telling the truth. Your interests seem to be pretty shallow.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    6 years ago

Victory At Sea is great, but it was more of a television series than a single documentary. I guess we could put The World At War in there too then. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    6 years ago

Randy
Sophomore Participates
1.2  Randy  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago
Bowling For Columbine

I agree. Easily in the top 50 somewhere. As is "Fahrenheit 9-11". At least to an unbiased critic. Of course this is "The Business Insider" who is hardly unbiased.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
1.2.1  Randy  replied to  Randy @1.2    6 years ago

In fact (IMHO) upon a closer look there are at least 9 or 10 films on this list that don't really belong on anyone's top 50 list of best documentaries of all time and several more that could easily be replaced with other better ones.

The Planet Earth, The Blue Planet or any of 10 or 20 by The National Geographic Channel and the Nature Documentaries by the BBC would do better then most here. The Jacques Cousteau also did some wonderful work before the development of HD film or processing as did Marlin Perkins, who is best know for TV work on "Wild Kingdom" but is also very well know for his individual and collaborative Zoological documentary film work at the  Buffalo Zoological Park, The Lincoln Park Zoo and for his work with Sir Edmund Hillary while he was Director of The St. Louis Zoo.