╌>

(overdue) Metal Monday - Morgoth

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  jeremy-in-nc  •  6 years ago  •  16 comments

(overdue) Metal Monday - Morgoth

Morgoth is a German death metal band that was formed in 1985 by Rüdiger Hennecke and Carsten Otterbach in Meschede. Originally the name Cadaverous Smell was used and the band played grindcore / noise style. When Harry Busse joined the band they renamed themselves to "Minas Morgul". In 1985 the band settled on Morgoth when singer and bass-player Marc Grewe joined the band. The name was derived from the epithet of the original dark lord Melkor in J.R.R Tolkien's Middle-earth Legendarium. They recorded the Pits of Utumno demo on four tracks in 1988, which eventually led to the band being signed with Century Media, which had just started.

In 1989, Morgoth recorded their second demo Resurrection Absurd in a twenty-four-track studio, which was released by Century Media in the same year as an EP. The band then toured Germany in support of Pestilence and Autopsy. The Eternal Fall was recorded shortly after the tour finished, which was quickly followed by a second tour with Demolition Hammer and Obituary. Grewe stopped playing bass and Sebastian Swart joined as the bass player.

In February 1991, the first actual full-length album was recorded in the Woodhouse studios, titled Cursed. To promote the album the band supported Kreator and Biohazard on a US tour and another European tour with Immolation and Massacre. Most of the band then relocated to Dortmund. Morgoth took a break then and only to return in 1993 with the album Odium. More touring followed, with Tankard, Unleashed and Tiamat. Nevertheless, most of the band members started to lose interest in an active music career and ventured in other directions.

Eventually a third album was recorded, Feel Sorry for the Fanatic, on which they incorporated more and more industrial influences. A tour followed the release of the album, with Die Krupps and Richthofen. The band broke up in 1998. In 2010 reformed to participate in the Death Feast Open Air and confirmed that a 2011 "Cursed" reunion tour will be played. They later performed at the 2011 Wacken Open Air.

As of December 5, 2014 Morgoth parted ways with their longtime lead vocalist Marc Grewe but will continue as a band with a new lead vocalist. The band has also released a new album in the spring of 2015, titled Ungod. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Jeremy Retired in NC    6 years ago

I first heard of Morgoth back in 1991 when they come to Pittsburgh supporting another band on tour.  They were still a fairly new band but made an impression on me.  I liked the Resurrection Absurd / The Eternal Fall EP but wasn't too happy with Cursed.  At least initially (it took some time to grow on me).  Odium grabbed me immediately from the first beats of the drums on Resistance to the end of the instrumental Odium. 

Feel Sorry For the Frantic, to me, seemed too commercial and really didn't sit well and I had written them off as broken up until the release of the God Is Evil EP and eventual release of Ungod.  

The new vocalist, Karsten Jäger is a great replacement for Marc Grew.  The vocal stylings and speed of Ungod are very reminiscent of Resurrection Absurd / The Eternal Fall EP that caught my attention 25+ years ago.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
3  sixpick    6 years ago

More power to you Jeremy, but I am too old, I guess to get into this music.  The best I can do is Grand Funk or Black Sabbath.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  sixpick @3    6 years ago

I was 18 when I first saw them live (before ever hearing any of their music).  They along with Death helped forge what is now known as the Death Metal Genre.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  sixpick  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1    6 years ago

Maybe this was the concert you saw.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.2  seeder  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  sixpick @3.1.1    6 years ago

No.  That's not the kind of band that would have a pit.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  sixpick  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1.2    6 years ago

That song wouldn't be one that I'd be too interested in anyway.  I listen to music like looking at a painting and even more so with the music than the painting itself.  I see music as frequencies and math with feeling.  I like a wide range of frequencies.  I like some on the low end and some on the high end, but the frequencies in the middle have their part in the music.  Harmony in vocals and the actual music are very important to me as well.  I love music as much as anything I can think of, only wishing I had the time and talent to create it more than I do these days.  I also have a wide range of music that I like and find it impossible to pick a favorite song I like the most or the first 100 songs I like best without leaving 100's more I also could choose if I were to eliminate the the original first 100.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.4  seeder  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  sixpick @3.1.3    6 years ago
That song wouldn't be one that I'd be too interested in anyway.  I listen to music like looking at a painting and even more so with the music than the painting itself.  I see music as frequencies and math with feeling.  I like a wide range of frequencies. 

For me, it's kind of an energy thing.  The feeling I get from the particular song and what mood it puts me in.  

I like some on the low end and some on the high end, but the frequencies in the middle have their part in the music.  Harmony in vocals and the actual music are very important to me as well.  I love music as much as anything I can think of, only wishing I had the time and talent to create it more than I do these days. 

You and I both.  In highschool I had a drum kit that I played around on, now I have a guitar I play around on.  My biggest problem is I don't know enough to enable myself to actually write anything.

I also have a wide range of music that I like and find it impossible to pick a favorite song I like the most or the first 100 songs I like best without leaving 100's more I also could choose if I were to eliminate the the original first 100.

You and I both.  I play music at my desk while at work.  A coworker thought I was having issues when my phone (set for random music) went from Cradle of Filth to Simon and Garfunkle.  And picking a favorite is impossible.  And I think it's really the same for everybody, it depends on my mood.  That will dictate if artists like Eminem, Slayer, Kiss, Iron Maiden, or The Temptations are included.

zuksam
Junior Silent
3.2  zuksam  replied to  sixpick @3    6 years ago
The best I can do is Grand Funk

Cool song ! I love an old fashioned Fuzz effect.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
3.2.1  sixpick  replied to  zuksam @3.2    6 years ago

That was about as fuzzy as I could get. LOL

This is one of my favorites from that era.

zuksam
Junior Silent
3.2.2  zuksam  replied to  sixpick @3.2.1    6 years ago

That Song gave me a little bit of a Contact High.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
3.2.3  sixpick  replied to  zuksam @3.2.2    6 years ago

What about this one?

zuksam
Junior Silent
3.2.4  zuksam  replied to  sixpick @3.2.3    6 years ago

Nice Hendrix could really play the blues.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4  sixpick    6 years ago

Well, Jeremy has passed out and gone to bed. LOL

So......

zuksam
Junior Silent
4.1  zuksam  replied to  sixpick @4    6 years ago

Great Live version and great Guitar playing. I wish I could play that well, his Strat does sound just like mine though. I have the Fender 57/62 pickups and I play everyday and the tone of his pickups is spot on for the 57/62's with a little Compression.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
5  Randy    6 years ago

The only real hardcore metal band that I am really familiar with is Cynic and that is because the co-founder and longtime drummer Sean Reinert is my son-in-law. The band has released some new music since the trouble between him and Paul, but Paul needs to realize that without Sean they just sound like a tribute band, not like the real Cynic. Here is how they are supposed to sound. The new stuff is just something less.:

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Randy @5    6 years ago

Cynic is amazing.  I've seen them live only once and saw Sean and Paul when they toured with Death