╌>

It's a 'horizontal skyscraper'! Chinese workers are building an enormous glass corridor ABOVE four 60-storey towers

Category:  Other

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  6 years ago  •  6 comments

It's a 'horizontal skyscraper'! Chinese workers are building an enormous glass corridor ABOVE four 60-storey towers

en.people.cn, March 11, 2018

FOREIGN201803111421000135842316555.jpg

Imagine walking between a group of skyscrapers, not on the ground but over the rooftop - you would soon be able to do so in China.

Construction workers in the city of Chongqing, south-west China, are building a huge rooftop corridor that connects six 60-storey towers at 820 feet high.

Stretching 984 feet like a horizontal skyscraper, the enormous glass-walled structure is nearly as long as The Shard in London laid on its side.

Once completed, the innovative sky bridge will have a glass-bottomed outdoor observation deck. From there, daredevil visitors will be able to enjoy the views of the Yangtze River and Jialing River merging at Chongqing's Chaotianmen area, one of the oldest part of the mega metropolis with some 30 million residents.

You MUST read the rest of this article and SEE the pictures that will knock your socks off.  At the bottom of the first page there is a link to the next 3 pages.  Click this link, and see just a tiny bit of what is happening in the City in which I live:

http://en.people.cn/n3/2018/0311/c90000-9435684.html

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Napoleon said to "Let China sleep".  Someone didn't listen.

One of the things I was interested to read is that it was designed by Israeli-Canadian architect Moshe Safdie, whose unusual designs included, Habitat, the residence for the athletes at the Olympics when it was held in Montreal.

Where I live in Chongqing (a megalopolis of 30 million people, almost as much population as all of Canada) is almost an hour and a half by subway to this development.  Since I'm uncomfortable at heights, you won't find me walking on the glass floor of this "space tunnel". 

TTGA
Professor Silent
2  TTGA    6 years ago

Now that is one LARGE building.  The concept is very interesting too.  I think I heard about something of the sort being built just over a cliff at the top of Grand Canyon.  We could get some nice pictures from there.  If I could afford to travel there, I probably could get them too since heights don't particularly bother me.  On the other hand, I was scared silly going down into Mammoth Cave, in Kentucky.

Napoleon said to "Let China sleep".

I should hope he would.  He was having enough trouble with the British and the Russians, without stirring up any more.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Talk about excess!

The title to this article used the quite normal and not at all offensive word "skyscraper" yet on the NT Front Page listing the system deleted the word "crap" out of the word "skyscraper", making it appear as "skys-er".

What a joke!  I would venture to say that's going a little overboard.

NOTICE TO ALL MEMBERS:  Be careful to not put in your titles or initial comments on the articles that get listed on the Front Page any words wherein some of the letters within those words spell out a swearword or other word considered offensive.

Just looked at my dictionary for a few minutes and already found some innocent words that would get butchered here:

cocktail, cockroach, scrape, scrap, prickle, album, screw (the whole word is unusable)....

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    6 years ago

Buzz,

This is a glitch in the system that is easily taken care of. All you had to do was write me an email about it, and please do in the future. No need to make a general warning to the site, thank you. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    6 years ago

Sorry. Didn't know it was correctable.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
3.1.2  lennylynx  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    6 years ago

Well, I'm glad it's just a glitch, but ONLY Newsnowflakes would edit the 'crap' out of skyscraper!  Happy