╌>

Are All People of Faith Evil?

Category:  Religion & Ethics

By:  katrix  •  6 years ago  •  43 comments

Are All People of Faith Evil?

A recently posted article claimed that all atheists are evil and immoral.  If I had said something like that about all people who have faith, I'd be called out - and rightly so.   

No, all people of faith are NOT evil. And I'm getting tired of being told I'm immoral simply because I don't need threats of eternal torture in order to behave, and I know that if I do something wrong, I won't get a magical pardon - so I'd better be the best person I can in the here and now.  There is no "get out of hell free" card where I can murder or rape or steal, smug in my knowledge that since I've "found Jesus" I will have everlasting joy for eternity, while my victims ... who cares about them, if their abuser is forgiven and gets to heaven?  All that matters is that "God has forgiven him" (conveniently announced without any input from God or anyone associated with it).  

Most religious people don't have this disgusting attitude about their behavior; it seems to be part of the born-again movement (but even then, not all born-agains are this immoral).  Most religious people, like most non-religious people, try to do the right thing for other people, for the Earth, for animals, simply because it's the right thing to do.  No threats or promises needed.  So no, I don't believe all people of faith are evil, despite what they like to say about me.

This is a test article.  I'll try to update it tomorrow, but the gist is here.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1  author  katrix    6 years ago

Here's what the article said:

There’s no polite way to say it. Atheists today are the most arrogant, ignorant and dangerous people on earth.

Pompous prigs .. the insults go on and on.

This, coming from someone who doesn't understand the age of the universe (yet we're ignorant?), dangerous (when people have killed far more others over religion than anything else, and that's not even counting the murders they claim their gods have committed), and arrogant (when they come to my house to try to convert me, tell me gleefully in here that I'll burn in hell - thank goodness they can no longer burn me for heresy - and all I do is demand that they obey the law and keep their religion out of our government)?

Thank goodness we are not a Christian nation.  These "moral" people would love to bring us back to the days when they could burn non-believers at the stake.  Of course, the next change in power would lead to their being burned, as history shows, but they don't think that far ahead.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1  Gordy327  replied to  katrix @1    6 years ago

His obsession with atheists (or liberals) is quite pathetic. Not to mention his sweeping generalizations about them are libelous at the very least.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1    6 years ago

The brush that he uses to paint liberals, Democrats, and anyone who does not agree with his brand of religion, with is miles wide. 

What really gets me is, those who profess loudly and and throw their religious piety in your face that they are devout Christians are the ones who spew the most vile hate and intolerance of anyone who does not agree with their brand of religion. 

Hypocrisy is strong with this one I think. 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.1.2  author  katrix  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1.1    6 years ago

Faith is a great thing for many people, when it leads them to moral behavior.  I like the Wiccan rede - "do as ye will an it harm none".  To me, that's even more moral than the Golden Rule, because what if you're a masochist (I still think the Golden Rule covers that scenario, because you wouldn't like someone doing things to you that .. you don't like).   Of course, faith also leads to so many murders, genocides, and such .. such horrible treatment of others.  I think we'd find other ways to separate "us" from "them" and kill them, though, if there was no religion and we all had the same skin color.  National Geographic's new issue was on race and is fascinating on that topic.  From birth, we innately think "us" vs "them" - sad, but knowing we have that built in can help us overcome it.  Another article I need to post!

The Native spiritual beliefs seem in harmony with nature as well, and point to a key reason why humans always invent religions.  It is for the harmony of the tribe, because a ruler alone can't always keep that harmony if the people don't think there's something higher they need to answer for, when the ruler isn't strong or good, or crops fail, or whatever.

The Satanic Temple's tenets are decent as well (not Satanism - I guess this is as close as you'd get to an atheist credo; members of the Satanic Temple don't actually believe in any gods, much less the Christian god Satan).  All about how you treat others, and your right to free will if it doesn't hurt anyone else.  Something you'd think right wingers, who claim they love individual rights, would love - but nope.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1.1    6 years ago

You hit the nail on the head Raven.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  katrix @1.1.2    6 years ago
The Native spiritual beliefs seem in harmony with nature as well, and point to a key reason why humans always invent religions.

I agree with all that you wrote, katrix. With Most Native Americans, if not all, the Harmony among the people of the Tribe is necessary for survival. Even in today's world many Tribes have to depend on themselves to exist. In years back, Harmony was also attained by the sharing of all things among the members of the Tribe. They had to depend no themselves and thus Harmony played a crucial part in their survival. 

We are all various species here on Mother Earth, and our survival also depends on all other living things in and on Mother Earth and Father Sky. What we take from Mother Earth we must also share and give back however we can. There is no me or I, there is only we and us. 

We do not believe in such a thing as Hell. How we live our lives determines how our lives here on earth will be. We each make our own bed, and we must accept the results of how well it is made. It is not for me to judge the worth of others. They must answer for their own mistakes along the way, as do I. 

There is a Native American saying that; "We do not inherit the land from our Fathers, we borrow it from our Grandchildren. We must always strive to leave it in better condition when we return it."

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.1.5  author  katrix  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1.4    6 years ago

There is a Native American saying that; "We do not inherit the land from our Fathers, we borrow it from our Grandchildren. We must always strive to leave it in better condition when we return it."

That's an amazing saying .. and so wise.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2  Gordy327    6 years ago

Great article Kat. You are correct: not all people of faith are evil. Just as not all people without faith (atheists or non-religious) are evil either. I've heard the same spiel you have about being immoral simply because you don't believe. It's as if some theists are simply incapable of understanding that one does not need a god or religion to be a moral or good person. I would say if one does need a god or religion (or the threat of damnation) to be a good person, then they clearly have issues.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.1  author  katrix  replied to  Gordy327 @2    6 years ago

It's a bit concerning to me when someone states that they can't behave without those threats .. and even worse, they try to project their immorality onto me.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  katrix @2.1    6 years ago

If someone says they can't be a good person without s god/religion, then that is a big red flag. At the very least, it shows quite a negative aspect of their character.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  Kathleen @2.1.2    6 years ago

I tend to agree. But I was referring to those who feel or state they need religion or god to be a good person, or otherwise infer that one cannot be a good or moral person without god/religion.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
2.1.4  Phoenyx13  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.3    6 years ago
I tend to agree. But I was referring to those who feel or state they need religion or god to be a good person, or otherwise infer that one cannot be a good or moral person without god/religion.

we've already had a poster on here (this site) from a previous article state that if he didn't have religion - there's no telling what he would do, that'd he probably commit crimes all day long just because it looked fun and felt good to him. Those people honestly scare me, if they ever believe their God doesn't exist - who knows what would happen. I feel scared for the people in their lives, family members, friends, etc, because it seems to me that these people could just snap at any minute.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  Phoenyx13 @2.1.4    6 years ago

Agreed. After all, what's that say about someone who is only kept in check out of fear of eternal torment or the promise of eternal paradise?

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
2.1.6  Phoenyx13  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.5    6 years ago
After all, what's that say about someone who is only kept in check out of fear of eternal torment or the promise of eternal paradise?

i agree - and i have heard that argument countless times, "well if you don't believe in God then what keeps you as a good person ? why don't you just murder people or steal or rape since you'll have no punishment since you don't believe in God ?", it's almost as if some religious people can't comprehend being a good person without religion.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.1.7  author  katrix  replied to  Phoenyx13 @2.1.6    6 years ago

That's what gets me the most.  Those are the same people who claim I can't be moral since I don't believe in any gods.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
3  lennylynx    6 years ago

The average atheist leads a far more Christ-like life than the average Christian does in my experience.  And how can people who call themselves Christians, vote for the Republican party over the Democrats?  The Republicans are the epitome of the money changers Jesus threw out of the temple.  Democratic values are Christian values.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1  author  katrix  replied to  lennylynx @3    6 years ago

A few years ago, when my mom was an Episcopal deacon, I met with her and her priest.  Father Mark told me that I'm closer to God than many in his congregation.  I asked him how he could say that, when he knows I'm an atheist.  He told me that it's how I act and live - that I walk the walk, and that his God isn't such an egomaniac that He cares whether or not I believe ; He's strong enough to handle those things. 

Father Mark said He cares about how I treat others, not about His ego.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  katrix @3.1    6 years ago

What's the old saying kat: actions speak louder than words.

What's really sad are those who try to justify the atrocities god committed  (if you go by the bible), saying things like "god can do what he wants because he's god," or something to that effect. I remember talking to one biblical literalist, and when I pointed out god committed genocide (via the Great Flood), they told me that was god's righteous judgement. The denial and/or mental gymnastics some people do us amazing.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.2  author  katrix  replied to  lennylynx @3    6 years ago

We also tend to know far more about their religion - and other religions, and the history of religions and mankind, because knowledge doesn't threaten us.

epistte
Junior Guide
4  epistte    6 years ago

I'm not sure that I would call anyone evil.

Religious conservatives might be ignorant and want simple answers to complex problem or they might just want to please those closest to them who are also Christians. It is very difficult to question a belief system that a person has been indoctrinated in from a very early age when it was reinforced by school and then by family and friends. 

There are many people who need that security blanket of religious belief because they feel that by believing that their god looks out for them and will away keep them safe.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4.1  author  katrix  replied to  epistte @4    6 years ago

Good point.  To me, "evil" is a religious construct just like "sin" and doesn't actually exist.

But, having been called evil for not believing, I used that word here, for lack of a better term.  

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.1  epistte  replied to  katrix @4.1    6 years ago
But, having been called evil for not believing, I used that word here, for lack of a better term.

I understood what you meant.

I have been in the same place for having the gall to question belief and then declare to my very Catholic family to that I do not believe in god.  To say that I am unpopular is an understatement.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @4    6 years ago

Nothing like that mental comfort mechanism, eh? 

epistte
Junior Guide
4.2.1  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2    6 years ago
Nothing like that mental comfort mechanism, eh?

It is far easier than thinking for yourself.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.2  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @4.2.1    6 years ago

Apparently not to certain theists, especially those who like to claim "god did it" to certain questions.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5  Raven Wing    6 years ago

Very good article, Katrix. It really hits the nail on the head. 

I am not a Christian or belong to any other organized religion. I practice the religious beliefs of my Cherokee ancestor. It is more Spiritual, and free of any strict rules to follow. There is only one thing that is there if you wish to accept it, and that is the belief that there is a Supreme Being, Ye Ho Waah, or The Creator, or as some call it, The Great Spirit. How one chooses to recognize Him or worship Him is up to the individual. And no one has the right to interfere with how others choose to do so.

This is to keep Harmony in the Tribe. If more people would live and let live, our world would be a much more peaceful place to live.

Just my opinion.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

I’m ok with the Christians it’s the Muslims that I try to avoid. 

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1  JBB  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6    6 years ago

Thanks for reminding us that Muslims are fair game for demonization on NT along with atheists...

Being such a small on-line community tptb seem to be beholding to those posting hateful bullshit.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
6.1.1  author  katrix  replied to  JBB @6.1    6 years ago

Exactly.  Muslim or Christian Sharia law, or any extremist crap, sucks.  I'm assuming that poster doesn't realize that Christians and Muslims worship the same god.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
8  luther28    6 years ago

People of faith are no different than any others, good and bad, well meaning or self serving etc.

While I myself am a heathen, I have nothing but respect for true believers, that is to say those that practice what they preach. What I find befuddling is those that are tolerant of your beliefs or lack of them, as long as you subscribe to their particular brand of poison. From what I see, both parties are guilty of such tendencies.

Religion or lack of it is a personal thing that we all figure out for ourselves (those that aren't sheeple at least) along the way. What one believes or does not believe is of no concern to me, but like your sex life it is something I would prefer you kept to yourself.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

Good article, katrix, and it's good to see you writing articles here.

No, all people of faith are absolutely not evil.  I know few people more faithful than Enoch, for example, and he's a wonderful human being.

Unfortunately, those who try to pass off their religious bigotry as "faith" give the appearance of evil.  Those who deride others simply for not believing as they themselves do, regardless of their actions, show the worst face of religion.  Give me an honest atheist over a self-righteous fundie any day.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
9.1  author  katrix  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9    6 years ago

I had to lock the article due to the rules here, which I get ..but  it's a little weird to be posting again a couple of days later after unlocking it.  Enoch is the perfect example of someone who is devout, and moral, and ethical, and someone I strive to emulate (and fail at .. sometimes I just have to point out when someone is that special kind of stupid, and takes pride in their ignorance).  No preaching, just serving as a great example, always ready to help, and we can take from it what we will.  

I like to think several of us in here are pretty good example of moral atheists.  And it still pisses me off that certain fundies claim we're all evil, when they'd go batshit (and rightly so) if we made the same claims about them. Hopefully he who shall not be named read this and might think twice .. but probably not.

Hope to see you in person for kayaking before long ... spring came early, then winter came again, but we'll get there.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  katrix @9.1    6 years ago
spring came early, then winter came again,

No kidding.  My son made the JV baseball team, and we have actually played in snow flurries a few times.  

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
9.1.2  Skrekk  replied to  katrix @9.1    6 years ago
No, all people of faith are NOT evil.

While I agree with other comments about the religious connotations of the term "evil", I'll just note that religious folks who believe that they're acting on behalf of their sky fairy or fulfilling its will when they harm other people are capable of far greater "evil" in real terms than the very worst sociopath, and they do so with the same self-righteousness and lack of conscience as a sociopath.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
9.1.3  author  katrix  replied to  Skrekk @9.1.2    6 years ago

You make a good point there.  That can't just be blamed on bad wiring - that's deliberate.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
9.1.4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  katrix @9.1.3    6 years ago

Pardon the off-topic, but formerstew sending hugs your way...

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
9.1.5  Phoenyx13  replied to  katrix @9.1    6 years ago
I like to think several of us in here are pretty good example of moral atheists.  And it still pisses me off that certain fundies claim we're all evil, when they'd go batshit (and rightly so) if we made the same claims about them.

i've been effectively told already that a religious person could commit murder and has a better chance of getting into Heaven than myself, since i am not religious - no matter how good of a person i am, i will go straight to Hell.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
9.1.6  Skrekk  replied to  Phoenyx13 @9.1.5    6 years ago
since i am not religious - no matter how good of a person i am, i will go straight to Hell.

That's where all the smart, fun and interesting people are anyway.   

Can you imagine being surrounded for all eternity by self-righteous bible-babbling morons who won the approval of a psychopathic deity?   That would be pure torture.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
10  sixpick    6 years ago

Katrix, I think the article you are referencing is more of a reaction than anything.  Before I started messing around on social media, I never heard of any Christians I knew or anyone for that matter criticizing Atheists or Christians, only the occasional Nativity scenes being destroyed at Christmas and protesting or suing when anything that could be related to Christianity was anywhere near or on government property.

Then I started messing around on social media and when anything concerning Christianity was mentioned, it seemed the most verminous atheists came out of the cyberspace to not only criticize any fool who would believe in a spaghetti fairy flying through the air, but try to make Christianity the worst thing that could ever exist.  You would think the social media was a government project and the hate spouting from these creatures seemed to have one objective and that objective was to shut anyone up who mentioned anything about Christianity.  They never let an opportunity to make fun or express their hatred for Christians pass them by.

Maybe the article should have said 'Liberal Atheist today are the most arrogant, ignorant and dangerous people on earth' instead of 'There’s no polite way to say it. Atheists today are the most arrogant, ignorant and dangerous people on earth', because I know several Conservative Atheists and none of them seem concerned with the beliefs of Christians.  They just live their lives and let others live their lives, but it is the 'Liberal' Atheist who seem to be filled with hate for Christians in my opinion and I've heard more in the last several years than I have in my entire life.

For me, my life and that is exactly what it is, my life is personal.  I don't concern myself with others lives except to make them better if I can.  I don't generally criticize Atheists or Christians, only as you have done, allow them to live their lives and ask they let me live mine.  Whatever happens when I take my last breath will only be my death and if there is anything beyond that or not will only involve me and no one else.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  sixpick @10    6 years ago

I disagree.  Atheists are still the most disliked "religious" group in the United States, despite the increase in the number of "out" atheists.  We are assumed to be immoral, amoral, arrogant, untrustworthy, and ignorant.  Never mind that some of this seems to be projection on the part of some theists - they can't imagine being moral themselves without religion, so they assume we aren't.

Atheists object to that, naturally, and will also naturally point out the problems with Christianity, both today and historically, to support their position.  After all, when told you're immoral because you don't believe in God, it's difficult not to notice the Jim Bakkers, Jimmy Swaggarts, and Oral Robertses, and point them out.

I see little hatred for Christians, but much disgust with Christianity, and frankly, I can understand it.  Religion has been used for centuries to oppress - women, slaves, members of other religions.  The Catholic Church sex abuse scandal is a modern-day example of theists who point out motes and ignore beams.  Hell, they even wanted to keep prosecution in-house, as if they're still the law of the land.  I doubt we'll ever know how many children's lives were blighted by this one organization, but somehow, atheists are still the bad guys.