╌>

Without Looking It Up, Do You Know The Difference Between 'Assume' And 'Presume' ?

Category:  Other

Via:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  44 comments

Without Looking It Up, Do You Know The Difference Between 'Assume' And 'Presume' ?

Do You Know The Difference In Usage Between

Assume And Presume ? 

Insure and Ensure ? 

Affect  and Effect? 

Denote and Connote?

Elicit and Illicit ? 

Farther and Further ? 

Has to be on the honor system. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

I will give the answers, per the Oxford Dictionary , later. Probably tomorrow. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

I am one of those usage neat freaks that will look it up if not sure.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

As per the Oxford Dictionary -

Assume And Presume ? 

In common usage both assume and presume can mean ‘suppose’ and are often interchangeable in this meaning. However, technically there is a subtle difference between the two where presume is to ‘suppose to be the case on the basis of probability ’:

Two of the journalists went missing and are presumed dead.

Assume on the other hand is to ‘suppose to be the case  without proof’:

I just assumed it to be the case.

Both words also share other meanings that can be summarised as ‘to take on oneself’. In this sense assume is generally used to describe taking on a role:

I assumed the role of the aggressor in the conversation. 

Whereas presume is generally used when taking on an attitude:

He had presumed too great a level of familiarity. 

Insure and Ensure ? 

There is considerable overlap between the meaning and use of insure and ensure . In both British and American English the primary meaning of insure is the commercial sense of providing financial compensation in the event of damage to something (e.g. property); ensure is not used at all in this sense.

For the more general senses, ensure is the more usual word, but insure is also sometimes used, particularly in American English, for example:

Bail is posted to insure that the defendant appears for trial.

or:

The system is run to ensure that a good quality of service is maintained.

Affect  and Effect? 

Affect and effect are different in meaning, though frequently confused. Affect is chiefly used as a verb and its main meaning is ‘to influence or make a difference to’, as in the following example sentences:

The pay increase will greatly affect their lifestyle .

The dampness began to affect my health.

The weather will affect my plans for the weekend.

Effect, on the other hand, is used both as a noun and a verb , although is more commonly used as a noun. As a noun it means ‘a result or an influence’, as in:

Move the cursor until you get the  effect  you want.

The beneficial  effects of exercise are well documented.

Over time the effect of loud music can damage your hearing.

When used as a verb effect means ‘to bring something about as a result’. It’s most often used in a formal context as oppose to everyday English:

Growth in the economy can only be  effected  by stringent economic controls.

The new policies did little to effect change.

The prime minister effected many policy changes.

The key thing to remember is that effect is most commonly used as a noun, whereas affect is typically used as a verb.

Denote and Connote?

Although both words broadly mean ‘to signify’ they are technically quite different. Denote refers to the literal primary meaning of something, whereas connote signifies the attributes of a word aside from its primary meaning.

For example, winter denotes a season of the year, but connotes cold weather.

Elicit and Illicit ? 

Although elicit and illicit are both pronounced and spelled similarly, they have different meanings and origins. Both words ultimately derive from Latin: illicit comes from the verb licere meaning ‘allowed’, and elicit comes from the verb elicere  meaning ‘ entice or deceive ’.

Illicit is an adjective , with two meanings. The first is ‘not allowed by laws or rules’, as in:

The UN estimated that the illicit drug trade is worth billions every year.

The second is ‘going against moral standards; unaccepted or not approved of by society’, as in:

Suspecting that his wife was having an illicit affair, he warned her to stop.

Elicit is a verb, with two meanings. The first is ‘to manage to get information from someone’ as in:

The hearing elicited some revealing testimony from the chairman’s colleagues.

The second is ‘to cause or draw out a particular reaction’, as in:

Most of the humour is more miss than hit, though there are moments that elicit a chuckle .

Farther and Further ? 

Is there any difference between further and farther in the following two sentences?

She moved further down the train.

She moved farther down the train.

Both words share the same roots : in the sentences given above, where the sense is ‘at, to, or by a greater distance’, there is no difference in meaning, and both are equally correct. Further is a much more common word, though, and is additionally used in various abstract and metaphorical contexts, for example referring to time, in which farther is unusual, e.g.:

without further delay

Have you anything further to say?

We intend to stay a further two weeks.

The same distinction is made between farthest andfurthest, e.g.:

the farthest point from the sun

The first team has gone furthest in its analysis .

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3    6 years ago

Okay, at least I wasn't TOO far off.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3    6 years ago

Farther is generally about distance, while further is generally about time. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.1    6 years ago

that is true, you weren't. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3    6 years ago

An assumption is a guess. A presumption is also a guess, but perhaps more based in fact than an assumption is. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

assume and presume - my first thought was that they really mean the same thing, i.e. to accept the existence or truth of something, but after thinking about it a little, it's probable that what is assumed or presumed is where the difference would lie. I'm not sure about it.

insure and ensure - both have a meaning similar to "guarantee", but "insure" is about replacing something lost in some way, whereas "ensure" is a word used to establish something or convince.

affect and effect - that one's easy. "Affect" is a verb, to cause something, while "effect" is a result, or what is caused.

denote and connote - my problem with that is although I know that to "denote" is to provide an emphasis about or to take or point out special note of something, I didn't know that the word "connotation" had a verbal usage, so I would have to guess that it means providing a meaning to something. 

elicit and illicit - okay, that one's easy. To "elicit" is to draw out or request, whereas "illicit" means "not kosher" or "illegal".

farther and further - The easiest one - "farther" is a measure of distance whereas "further" is a measure of degree.  Anyone who watched the movie "Finding Forrester" would know that.

Okay, I don't know if I'm absolutely correct with those, which may be caused in part at least by my not being able to describe them properly using my existing vocabulary.  Here's one you didn't post - "Possibly and Probably".  You can add that to the list.

Excellent article, John.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    6 years ago
elicit and illicit - okay, that one's easy. 

Currently the media is trying to illicit the details of Stormy Daniels' elicit affairs!

(I find its often fun to reverse the meanings...and of course its also fun to frequently split infinitives-- but the rule about that seems to rarely be followed any more).

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.1.1  katrix  replied to  Krishna @2.1    6 years ago

Don't you be splitting any infinitives with me, bub, or I'll end a sentence with a preposition and see how you like it!  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Here's one you didn't post - "Possibly and Probably". 

I'll play. Broadly speaking, I think 'possibly' refers to something with a less than 50-50 chance of happening, and 'probably' would be more than a 50-50 chance of happening. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3    6 years ago

Correct.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3    6 years ago

Here's a tougher one:  inquire and enquire

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2    6 years ago

That is a tough one, I'm not sure I can figure that out without looking it up. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.1    6 years ago

Leave it for now and see if there are any other participants.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.2.3  katrix  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2    6 years ago

I think it's just American vs English spelling; no difference in meaning

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2.4  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.2    6 years ago
any other participants.

Or perhaps even any other precipitants! 

(People who drop by?)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  katrix @3.2.3    6 years ago

In British English "inquire" is used to indicate more formality or officialdom, whereas "enquire" is the norm. For example when used as a noun you might say a "Government Inquiry". Actually I use "inquire" more often than "enquire".  "Enquire" does not seem to be considered kosher by a computer set for American English, whereas "inquire" is considered okay.  Because I use British English, I often see my English-spelled words underlined in red, but I will not succumb.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4  katrix    6 years ago

Interesting post.  A little humbling, as well.  I'm playing by the rules and not googling.

"Assume and presume" are making me think.  I assume that you wrote this article to make me think.  And I presume .. well, crap.  I don't know quite how to describe the difference.

The line is Dr. Livingstone, I presume.  Not Dr. Livingstone, I assume.  But why?  I can use them properly in a sentence, but I don't know how I know.

Actually - I've got it!  When you assume, you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me" - if you use "presume" you don't get the same smartass response.

Insure and ensure, that's a given for me so I won't get into it.  It's one of my pet peeves.  Same with affect vs. effect, elicit and illicit, further and farther.

Denote and connote is the other interesting one for me.  I think I would use them properly in a sentence, but I don't know how to explain the difference.    So yeah, I fail at that one.  I've never actually seen the word "connote" - it would be "connotation".  Something denotes something, and something has a connotation with something else .. that's the best I can come up with.

Great post!  Get smarter here :)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

I will post the Oxford Dictionary explanations sometime in the morning tomorrow. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6  Krishna    6 years ago

One example that I've seen a lot lately. The difference seems obvious to me, because the means aren't similar at -- they're actually quite different. But misuing them (confusing one for the other) seems to have become quite common recently. The two are : literally and figuratively

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7  TᵢG    6 years ago

Adding to your list are my pet peeves:

• your | you're (you are)
  • lose | loose

Maybe an article on confused concepts next?   I offer the following starters:

• evidence | proof | fact
  • theory | scientific-theory | hypothesis

thumbs up   to John.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @7    6 years ago
Adding to your list are my pet peeves:
  • your | you're (you are)

That's one of mine as well. In fact it may be the single most common error in usage I see on the Internet. So frequently when people want to tell some one that they're correct, they say:

Your right!

Of course its they're right to say that, but than their not correct! Heh :-)

(Or should I say that in that case there not right? Or perhaps their not write?)

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @7.1    6 years ago

Won possibull  remidy (at leest four errors do two incorrect punctuation):

Eatsshootsleaves_.jpg

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.2  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @7.1.1    6 years ago

That's a relatively new book-- this one is the classic work on the subject:

elementsofstyle_.jpg

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Krishna @7.1    6 years ago

They're eh?  Party Write on!  Clever Krishna as always.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @7.1    6 years ago

Homonyms

write, right, rite

your, you're, yore.

there, their, they're

aisle, I'll, isle

pear, pare, pair

cite, site, sight

to, two, too  (misusing "to" and "too" is a common mistake.)

Those were triples, there have to be at least hundreds of doubles.

My pet peeve is seeing people write "loose" when they mean "lose".  "Loose" means "not tight" whereas "lose" means accidentally (or maybe not accidentally) no longer possessing something.  e.g.  In Las Vegas it's easy to LOSE money (not LOOSE money).  Your belt is LOOSE so your pants are falling down.  Have you any idea how many times I've seen that mistake on NT?  I don't criticize spelling/grammar mistakes on line because English is not necessarily the writer's first language, and in any event what's the purpose in embarrassing anyone? Besides, who doesn't make typos? - I certainly make them.

Spell-check is useless when it comes to those things - only a grammar-check could detect most of them.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
7.1.5  katrix  replied to  Krishna @7.1.2    6 years ago

I love the Elements of Style.  It's considered to be outdated now according to some, OMG, LOL, TFF.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.2  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @7    6 years ago
lose | loose

That's a tuff won.

Hear's a list of moast commenly cunfused werds-- sum of thease are diffacullt:

Confusables Meanings
accept except to agree to receive or do
not including
adverse averse unfavourable, harmful
strongly disliking; opposed
advice advise recommendations about what to do
to recommend something
affect effect to change or make a difference to
a result; to bring about a result

(Cont'd -->  HEAR)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @7.2    6 years ago

Many of the pairs of words on that list are pronounced differently, are not homonyms, and it is only because they look the same that they are confused.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
7.3  katrix  replied to  TᵢG @7    6 years ago

I vs. Me  - major pet peeve.

Just take one half of it out and see if it makes sense.  "TiG and Me had a discussion" .. well, TiG had a discussion works. Me had a discussion does not work, so it's I.  Same for him and her, he and she, etc.

Who and whom gets me.  I know how to use them properly, but using "whom" seems too formal in many cases.  Same with not ending a sentence with a preposition, or not using a sentence fragment. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.3.1  TᵢG  replied to  katrix @7.3    6 years ago

People do not seem to care about proper English as much nowadays.   Or is it just the generations younger than the boomers?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.3.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  katrix @7.3    6 years ago

Although it's not right to end a sentence with a preposition, it just seems too clumsy or is just too time-consuming to be absolutely correct all the time. The proper usage of "whom" has always been a concern for me - sometimes it just doesn't seem right (although it is).

katrix
Sophomore Participates
7.3.3  katrix  replied to  TᵢG @7.3.1    6 years ago

When you text all day, and don't read much, I guess it's difficult.

And to be honest, some of the rules are a little hard to tolerate.  When I'm writing a training manual, I have to think about formal vs. comfortable.  It's difficult to choose comfortable without cringing, but that's what will make the reader more comfortable.  That damn thing about not ending a sentence with a preposition is among the stuffiest rules, when trying to write informally.

Language changes all the time; I think we're just seeing it happen faster than it has in the past.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
7.3.4  katrix  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.3.2    6 years ago

The joke goes:

Husband:  Honey, where's the newspaper at?

Wife:  Never end a sentence with a prepostition!

Husband:  Where's the newspaper at, wench?

I think you said it best with "clumsy."  Sometimes, being grammatically correct just sounds clumsy.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.3.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @7.3.1    6 years ago

Texting has destroyed the English language.  I wonder if the students today could make head or tail out of the language used in Pride and Prejudice.

Of course the Americans (Webster) started in that direction by simplifying the spelling of common English words. (e.g. labour/labor, travelling/traveling). So now we get "C U L8R". LOL (an acronym which I thought when I saw it for the first time on a memo from a colleague meant "Lots of Love" and then by asking the question was almost laughed out of the room). 

luther28
Sophomore Silent
8  luther28    6 years ago

Yes or I, eye, aye if you prefer.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
9  Greg Jones    6 years ago

Choose vs chose.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @9    6 years ago

present vs past.

I choose to be alone.  I chose to be alone.

"Choose" can also be used in command mode: e.g.  Choose your weapon for our duel.