╌>

Holocaust survivor’s body found burnt, stabbed in Paris apartment

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sixpick  •  6 years ago  •  45 comments

Holocaust survivor’s body found burnt, stabbed in Paris apartment

March 25, 2018

In possible hate crime reminiscent of the Sarah Halimi murder, victim Mireille K., 65, had previously reported that a neighbor threatened to burn her

Illustrative: French police forces Orly airport, south of Paris, March, 18, 2017. (AP/Kamil Zihnioglu)

The burnt and stabbed body of a Holocaust survivor was found in her Paris apartment, in what a watchdog on anti-Semitism said was a case reminiscent of an alleged anti-Semitic hate crime.

The National Bureau for Vigilance Against Anti-Semitism, or BNVCA, wrote in a statement Sunday that the suspected murder of the 85-year-old woman, identified by BNVCA and in the French media only as Mireille K., “is reminiscent of the crime committed against Sarah Halimi,” a 66-year-old Jewish teacher and physician, whom prosecutors say was murdered by her Muslim neighbor in April partly in connection with her Jewish identity.

According to the BNVCA, the octogenarian’s body was set on fire Friday night. Her charred body also had at least 11 stab wounds. Police have a suspect in custody in connection with her death.

The victim was found dead in her apartment on Philippe August Street in Paris’ 11th District, in the city’s east near the Nation Square. She reported in the past to authorities about a man from the same street, whom she said had threatened to “burn her,” BNVCA wrote.

A forensic examination of the apartment showed that an arsonist started a fire in at least five distinct areas of that space, the report also said.

Last month, the brutal murder of Halimi was declared an anti-Semitic act, a legal source told AFP, after a campaign to draw attention to the crime.

When Sarah Halimi died last April in Paris, her family and Jewish groups blamed anti-Semtism.

Sarah Halimi (Courtesy of the Confédération des Juifs de France et des amis d’Israël)

Kobili Traore, 27, who was arrested the day after the killing, went before the instructing magistrate, who finally added anti-Semitism to the charges, the source said.

Traore was Halimi’s neighbor and allegedly broke into her apartment in a public housing development in eastern Paris on the night of April 3.

Amid shouts of “Allah Akbar” (God is great), Koranic verses and insults, he beat Halimi before throwing her out of the window.

“I’ve killed the demon,” he allegedly shouted in Arabic.

The murder stirred debate over anti-Semitism and violence in working-class districts of France. Officials had been reluctant to ascribe the crime to anti-Semitism.

Earlier this month, the judge scrapped a hate crime element from the indictment of Traore; the prosecution appealed the decision.

Despite having taken a large amount of cannabis before the killing, psychiatric testing found he was still responsible for his actions, which were “not incompatible with an anti-Semitic dimension.”

The prosecutor then called for anti-Semitism to be added to the charges, as Jewish groups had demanded.

Last month, they started legal action demanding a response from the instructing magistrate on whether Halimi was targeted because of her religion.

The affair took a political turn last July when President Emmanuel Macron called for the full facts to be known during a visit by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

France’s half-a-million-plus Jewish community has voiced increasing concern with a rise in anti-Semitic acts that have seen thousands of Jews leave for Israel.

~Link~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  sixpick    6 years ago

With the hate festering everyday around the world, whites being killed in South Africa, now is not the time to surrender our only defense that may save our lives.  Anyone promoting this should just live the lives these people have lived in a country that has taken their defense away from them.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3  luther28    6 years ago

To have survived so much only to meet such an end, beyond sad.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Reports indicate that anti-Semitism is increasing world-wide, including the USA.  I just read that a Synagogue not far from where I lived in Toronto was vandalized.

The Jews in France are particularly worried, as the Muslim community grows with the influx of refugees, their safety is at risk.  Their synagogues and schools have to be guarded by the French Army, and they cannot display anything, such as wearing a kippah, or a Star of David, that makes them a target.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
6  Rmando    6 years ago

Liberals have gone so far building up rhetoric against anyone making valid concerns about parts of Muslim culture that things like this are the result. The left has put political correctness over the safety of its citizens.

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
6.1  Willjay9  replied to  Rmando @6    6 years ago

Soo....going by your comment they must have caught the perpetrator.....can to provide a link to the information you are getting to back up your assertions?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Willjay9 @6.1    6 years ago

You may soon have your answer to that:

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
7  Rmando    6 years ago
You're right. It could have just been a run of the mill anti Semitic European leftist. It is hard to tell the difference some time. For some reason NT is letting me reply directly.

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
7.1  Willjay9  replied to  Rmando @7    6 years ago

Or it could have been some of those "good people" Trump was talking about who were marching down the street with tiki torches screaming "Jews will not replace us!"

Btw......if any Muslim did that they would definitely be a rightie!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
7.1.1  Spikegary  replied to  Willjay9 @7.1    6 years ago

A rightie?  In France?  Because the accused may be a muslim?  WTF kind of thought process comes up with that?  That's just ignorant partisan stupidity.

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
7.1.2  Jonathan P  replied to  Willjay9 @7.1    6 years ago

New world record.

I have never seen a more shameless deflection, even in the blogosphere.

Congratulations.

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
7.1.3  Willjay9  replied to  Jonathan P @7.1.2    6 years ago

Really? So you have information that a Muslim did this? Or are you once again deciding to go down the bigoted speculation highway?

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
7.1.4  Jonathan P  replied to  Willjay9 @7.1.3    6 years ago

Deflection, and now projection.

At the track, we call that the Exacta.

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
7.1.5  Willjay9  replied to  Spikegary @7.1.1    6 years ago

"That's just ignorant partisan stupid"

You mean like the assumption that France doesn't have a right wing?!.....lol!

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
7.1.6  Willjay9  replied to  Jonathan P @7.1.4    6 years ago

Deflection and projection?! You mean like making a baseless assumption that either a Muslim or some leftwing person murdered this person? Someone was murdered but instead of saying about this tragedy you all on the right immediately deflect to leftwing and project your bigotry toward Muslims into this death.....In record time or is the comments and time stamp wrong?

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
7.1.7  Jonathan P  replied to  Willjay9 @7.1.6    6 years ago

Excuse me, but it was you who brought up political affiliations AND faith.

You immediately went on the attack, and you brought it all the way across the pond so that you could do that. You seem to be preparing a defense for something that is either 1)not in need of defense or 2)indefensible.

If that's not a deflection, please tell me what is.

PJ
Masters Quiet
7.1.8  PJ  replied to  Jonathan P @7.1.2    6 years ago

Now wait a minute!  I thought I was the most deplorable?  :0)

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
7.1.9  Willjay9  replied to  Jonathan P @7.1.7    6 years ago

"Excuse me, but it was you who brought up political affiliations AND faith."

Oh! I was?! So I  guess  Buzz and Rmando comments in which I responded to don't count in your eyes then! I guess comments and time stamps REALLY mean NOTHING to you when it's gets in the way of your agenda!...lol

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
7.1.10  Jonathan P  replied to  Willjay9 @7.1.9    6 years ago

Comment 7.1, written 22 hours ago:

Or it could have been some of those "good people" Trump was talking about who were marching down the street with tiki torches screaming "Jews will not replace us!"

Btw......if any Muslim did that they would definitely be a rightie!

You wrote this yesterday. Now cut your blather about timestamps.

Own it.

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
7.1.11  Willjay9  replied to  Jonathan P @7.1.7    6 years ago

Dude none knows who killed the woman or the motivation was behind the killing, but that still didn't stop you all from projectioning your bigotry toward Muslims into this! 

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
7.1.12  Willjay9  replied to  Jonathan P @7.1.10    6 years ago

Really? So the comment in which I replied with that statement didn't bring up political afflilition first?!........laughing dude

Point blank I didn't open that door.....your side did, so don't get butthurt if I walk in!

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
7.1.13  Jonathan P  replied to  Willjay9 @7.1.11    6 years ago
but that still didn't stop you all from projectioning your bigotry toward Muslims into this!

Please show me where I made reference to this, and then check your own butt for hurting.

Glad you think this is so funny. It's all one big politically motivated joke to you. That's why you have no cred in this argument. You earned your cred on NV, where you were much more comfortable with those who had no problem making the point more point-blank than yourself. You spin well, but one only need to look at the wake to see the filth.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.14  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Willjay9 @7.1.11    6 years ago

Okay, Willjay9, it's now been reported that the two perpetrators have been arrested, and that they are both of North African descent.  So tell me, in your opinion, do you think that would make them Swedish Christians? Maybe Canadian Inuit? How about Tibetan Buddhists? AT NO POINT DID I SAY THEY WERE MUSLIMS. 

APOLOGIZE, if you are man enough to do so.

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
7.1.15  Jonathan P  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1.14    6 years ago

Why should he apologize?

The Christians did it hundreds of years ago...

thumbs down

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
7.1.16  Willjay9  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1.14    6 years ago

Really? Care to provide up vude a link to that because the only ones I read about the suspect doesn't give any information

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
7.1.17  Willjay9  replied to  Jonathan P @7.1.15    6 years ago

Same question care to provide a link to the suspects descriptions?

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
7.1.18  Willjay9  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1.14    6 years ago

AT NO POINT DID I SAY THEY WERE MUSLIMS.

Sure you didn't! But your insinuation in your first comment with absolutely no proof reads volumes!

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
7.1.19  Willjay9  replied to  Jonathan P @7.1.13    6 years ago

Still waiting to show me where I was the first to initiate political affiliation and religion!

sixpick
Professor Quiet
7.1.20  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Willjay9 @7.1.11    6 years ago

It's not bigotry Willjay.  It's the voice of experience. 

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
7.1.21  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jonathan P @7.1.10    6 years ago
Own it.

Look who's talking.

Junior Participates
7.1.22  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  sixpick @7.1.20    6 years ago
It's the voice of experience.

Yes, the experience of a lifetime of bigotry. 

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
7.1.23  Willjay9  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @7.1.22    6 years ago

Exactly!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
8  Enoch    6 years ago

Dear Friend Sixpick: Hatred in the heart is no way to live. 

It never ends well for anyone.

The behavior that all who are "different" must be despised: targets of bigotry, hated, discrimination and persecution is not new.

As it is written in the Passover Hagaddah in every generation will rise up those who want to enslave you. You must oppose them to earn freedom in your own time.

This is no exception.

Those who do good in this world must act together in concert and harmony to oppose and over rule those bent on doing evil. 

The odds, and the numbers are on our side.  

We must be ever vigilant to fight for freedom, human rights and dignity.

This is so wherever on the political and other ideological part of the spectrum in which we dwell.

Peace, Abundant Blessings and the Freedom to Enjoy Them Together by Replacing Hatred Without Cause with Love and Acceptance Without Limits or Conditions.

Enoch.    

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch @8    6 years ago

Well said, dear Brother in Spirit and Mentor. Well said indeed. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
8.1.1  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @8.1    6 years ago

Dear Sister Raven Wing: Many thanks.

When you approve something I post its clear I am on the right track.

Peace and abundant Blessings to You Dear Friend.

Enoch.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch @8.1.1    6 years ago

Big hugs

sixpick
Professor Quiet
8.2  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Enoch @8    6 years ago

Enoch, you are truly an inspiration.  You're almost as good as Buzz when it come to hitting the ball right in the center of the sweet spot.

A little seven year old girl experienced the worse life could have laid out for her many years ago.  After 73 years it all came back again, all the hate directed at her for just existing.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
8.2.1  Enoch  replied to  sixpick @8.2    6 years ago

Dear Brother Sixpick: Many thanks.

In this season of celebrating freedom, rebirth, and hope let's continue to work together for the greater good. 

E.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
8.2.2  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Enoch @8.2.1    6 years ago

I'm trying,  but it isn't easy. 

Junior Participates
8.2.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  sixpick @8.2    6 years ago
You're almost as good as Buzz when it come to hitting the ball right in the center of the sweet spot.

That's funny.  The sweet spot's not on the ball.   But that mutilated metaphor works perfectly for those it was intended.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

TWO ARRESTED OVER BRUTAL KILLING OF 85-YEAR-OLD FRENCH JEWISH HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR

Times of Israel , March 26, 2018:

PARIS, France — Two men have been arrested over the killing of an 85-year-old Jewish woman, a Holocaust survivor, whose stabbed body was found after her Paris apartment was set ablaze, police sources said Monday.

An autopsy conducted on the woman, identified Monday as Mirelle Kanol, who lived alone, showed her charred body also had at least 11 stab wounds.

A forensic examination of the apartment showed that an arsonist started a fire in at least five distinct areas of that space, the report also said….

The Paris prosecutor’s office said Sunday that it had not yet determined a motive, but “is not excluding any hypothesis.”

One suspect was identified as a a 29-year-old man. No details were given on the second suspect.

However, a granddaughter of Kanol, Noa Goldfarb, wrote on Facebook that her grandmother was murdered by a neighbor who is a Muslim.

“Twenty years ago, I left Paris knowing that neither my future nor that of the Jewish People is to be found there,” wrote Goldfarb, who lives in Herzliya, Israel. “But who would’ve thought that I was leaving my relatives where terrorism and cruelty would lead to such a tragedy. Grandmother was stabbed to death 11 times by a Muslim neighbor she knew well, who made sure to set fire to her home and left us not even one object, a letter, a photograph, to remember her by. All we have are our tears and each other.”

A Paris lawmaker who spoke with one of the woman’s sons said she had managed to evade as a child the notorious 1942 roundup of over 13,000 Jews in Paris during World War II….

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10  Sparty On    6 years ago

Wow, there are some truly messy up people in this world and whoever did this is beyond FUBAR.

Damn!

sixpick
Professor Quiet
12  seeder  sixpick    6 years ago

The French are like many of the other European countries, they feed their citizens propaganda for as long as they can before actually admitting the truth.  And even them as they do here in the USA, the MSM twist the truth to make it less significant if it goes against their agenda.  It took a year for them to finally admit the murder of Sarah Halimi was anti-Semitic.

Paris: Two charged with anti-Semitic murder of 85-year-old Holocaust survivor

Paris: Two charged with anti-Semitic murder of 85-year-old Holocaust survivor

Two people have been charged with the murder of an 85-year-old French Jewish woman, who was repeatedly stabbed and whose body was then set alight in a crime being treated as anti-Semitic, a judicial source said Tuesday.
Mireille Knoll, who managed to flee a mass roundup of Jews in Paris during World War II, was found dead Friday in her apartment in the east of the French capital, where she lived alone.

An autopsy showed she had been stabbed several times before the apartment was set on fire.

Two men were arrested over her killing on Monday and were to be brought before a magistrate to face possible charges of "murder related to the victim's religion, real or imagined" as well as aggravated robbery and destruction of property, judicial sources told AFP.

One of the men was a regular visitor of Knoll's whom she treated "like a son" and who had visited her that day, her son told AFP, asking not to be named.
The apartment block in the 11th arrondissement of Paris where the alleged murder took place. Photo: AFP
"We are really in shock. I don't understand how someone could kill a woman who has no money and who lives in a social housing complex," her son added.

Speaking during a visit to Jerusalem on Monday, Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said it was "plausible" that Knoll was killed because of her religion and her death showed the need for a "fundamental and permanent" fight against anti-Semitism.

The chief rabbi of Paris, Haim Korsia, wrote on Twitter that he was "horrified" by the killing.
After meeting one of Knoll's sons French MP Meyer Habib wrote a Facebook post that began with the words: "The nightmare continues for French Jews".

"The authorities are being cautious and seem reluctant to recognize at this stage the anti-Semitic character [of the murder]. But for the family it's almost a certainty," said Habib.

Investigators had initially said on Sunday they were "not excluding any hypothesis" with regard to the motives for her murder.

But Jewish organisations in France have been keen to make sure French police looked into the possible anti-Semitic nature of the murder.

"The investigation does not reveal any anti-Semitic elements, however, this path has not been ruled out to date and needs to be further explored," said the Protection Service for the Jewish Community (Service de protection de la communauté juive, SPCJ)  a body which keeps close watch an anti-Semitic acts in France.

France's leading Jewish umbrella group CRIF (Representative Council of French Jewish Institutions), said in a statement that it "expects the authorities to operate with the utmost transparency in the ongoing investigation so that the motives for this barbaric crime are known to everyone as soon as possible." 

Although the investigation is at an early stage, the killing has echoes of the murder of Sarah Halimi , an Orthodox Jewish woman who was brutally murdered in her own home, also in the 11th arrondissement, by her neighbour in April 2017. 

Amid shouts of "Allah Akbar" (God is great), Koranic verses and insults, her attacker beat Halimi before throwing her out of the window.

The president of Jewish community group the Consistoire Israelite, Joel Mergui, told AFP that he wanted to "understand what happened and not let the same silence that followed the murder of Sarah Halimi a year ago in the same arrondissement happen again."

Paris woman’s brutal murder declared anti-Semitic act: After initially balking at ascribing killing of Sarah Halimi to anti-Jewish sentiment, magistrate now accepts hate crime element in indictment against Kobili Traore TimesofIsrael pic.twitter.com/Gfs4yKO0Y4

— Jewish Community (@JComm_BlogFeeds) February 28, 2018

Anti-Semitic violence

The most recent figures available show that anti-Semitic violence increased by 26 percent last year in France and that criminal damage to Jewish places of worship and burials increased by 22 percent.

In January an eight-year-old boy wearing the Jewish skullcap was beaten up by two teenagers in the northern Paris suburb of Sarcelles in what prosecutors said appeared to be attack motivated by the child's religion.   

A record 7,900 French Jews emigrated to Israel in 2015 following the deadly jihadist shooting at a Parisian kosher supermarket two days after the attack on satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.

That exodus has since slowed, but a spate of anti-Semitic attacks since have continued to frighten one of Europe's biggest Jewish communities, numbering an estimated half a million.

A global study in 2014 found that one in three French people held anti-Semitic views, although experts suggested the figure exaggerated the problem of anti-Semitism in France. 

"Stating 18 million French people show signs of anti-Semitic attitudes seems excessive to me," Marc Knobel, head of studies at CRIF told The Local at the time . "I have never seen a figure like that before."

"I don't doubt that anti-Semitism exists in certain categories of the French population, and there is anti-Semitic violence in France, but France is not an anti-Semitic country," he said.

Junior Participates
13  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    6 years ago

Just to light things up a bit:  The French National Front is all white and (mostly) European and is openly anti-semitic.*  It's founder Jean-Marie LePen had some really bons mots to say to and about Jews:

So, for all we know this woman's murderers could have been followrers  and admirers of LePen's Jew hatred. 

Oh, and by the way, the hypocritical contradiction of  rightwingers being so concerned about this heroic woman's story of eluding the Nazis when you constantly pour your antisemitic libels and slanders on George Soros, who has the same story, is noted. 

Since the old Jew hater died, his descendents have desperately tried to put lipstick on their pig but Jews aren't having it: