╌>

The Silent Minority?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  colour-me-free  •  6 years ago  •  51 comments

The Silent Minority?

Last night my youngest son was having a discussion regarding guns with a gaming buddy in Florida - Ta Da, there is at least one student with a different point of view when it comes to gun control and school safety...  Sadly most everything that he has to say is being picked up by FOX news (just not a source that I rely on/turn to) yet they are the ones that are listening to the other side of the aisle when it comes to the 'Never Again' movement.

I spent the morning watching interview after interview of Parkland students/survivors .. I was looking for a different message than ban guns .. difficult to find for sure - David Hogg certainly gets plenty of air time  ... 

Here is what I found, that involves a different student point of view without coming from FOX!....

Kyle Kashuv, a junior at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, joins Margaret Brennan to discuss gun rights and school safety reforms.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1  seeder  Colour Me Free    6 years ago

Definitely not interesting in an argument, but this young person represents the voices that I am hearing in my lil piece of the world .. there are other avenues for safety besides banning.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Colour Me Free @1    6 years ago
'there are other avenues for safety besides banning.'

Yes indeed there are and it appears that you are the only one saying that people are saying to ban all weapons - ban all guns

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1.1.1  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    6 years ago

Please show me where I stated ban all weapons / ban all guns .. take the drama elsewhere, your dishonesty is not welcome here..

Thanks

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Colour Me Free @1.1.1    6 years ago
'Please show me where I stated ban all weapons / ban all guns .. take the drama elsewhere, your dishonesty is not welcome here..'

Your omissions are glaringly obvious.  

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1.1.3  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.2    6 years ago

I omitted nothing... there are NO assault weapons available to the general public, so calling for the ban of said weapon is disingenuous at best.  A weapons ban is being called for.. end of story. 

I have not once said that the weapons ban encompassed all weapons - that is what those that lack knowledge seem to like to contribute to the conversation, as if to call gun owners paranoid, clinging to their guns and bibles is factual .. quite dishonest, but it fits a narrative, so run with it?  correct? 

I have nothing further for you Tessylo, as I stated yesterday "your dishonesty is not welcome here"....

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Colour Me Free @1.1.3    6 years ago
'I omitted nothing..'
Yeah, you did
'as if to call gun owners paranoid, clinging to their guns and bibles is factual ..'

You left out a part dear - they cling to their guns, bibles and ignorance - THAT IS FACTUAL.  

I'm not dishonest.  The dishonest part is your omission.  

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1.1.5  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.4    6 years ago

Please make no further comments to me .. thanks!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Colour Me Free @1.1.5    6 years ago

No value {SP}

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  sixpick  replied to  Colour Me Free @1.1.3    6 years ago
I have not once said that the weapons ban encompassed all weapons

But that is the objective.  Just because some don't get it, doesn't mean it isn't so.  

I was switching the channels last night and I think it was MSNBC, but it could have been CNN, was having a discussion about guns with some teenagers.  One of the teenagers didn't want the armed guards in the school because she said it was a gateway to prison for black students.  You know, when will we accept the fact that if you don't commit the crime, you won't have to be looking over your shoulder or wondering if someone is looking at you with suspicion?  You may be completely innocent, but some of your classmates aren't and they bring this suspicion on you for their actions.

I know this is off topic and you can remove it if you want.

I was at a store yesterday and the store was closing for good at 6pm.  We had some equipment in the store and were going to remove it before the store closed.  I had to wait there until my friend with his SUV arrived.  I've never seen so many people shopping at that store.  The owner is in another town and left the employee there for the closing.  I saw people coming in and walking out with a case of beer in each hand.  Then a few minutes later, I would see the same people coming back in as though it was the first time and walking out with another couple of cases of beer and some cigarettes.  The parking lot was full of cars and they were there to get in on the giveaway.

The employee asked one little girl who was with what he called his mother if she wanted some candy and told her 'have at it'.  The mother went back to the cooler, picked up a couple more cases of beer while the little girl 'had at it'  My point is I see crap like this every day, not a store closing, but a mentality of dishonesty and thievery.  Also think of the influence this has on the little girl.  It's a never ending story of setting the stage for a lifestyle of crime on the future generations.  It reminded me of 'Idiocracy', the movie.

It's time these parents started setting good examples of how to live your life, instead of the examples they are setting and stop blaming others for the suspicions they have against them, which are justified.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1.1.8  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  sixpick @1.1.7    6 years ago

Morning sixpick..

Ultimately, yes I agree that if all guns could be regulated/controlled it would be a wet dream come true for many - already we see discussion over Switzerland gun laws and how they work - Canada has similar laws, just not as many guns .. even how Australia has done things is a topic of conversation...

Interestingly enough, I had a conversation with my youngest and one of his buddies last night (the 2 of them hung cupboards in my laundry room) we spoke on guns and school safety ... neither of them seemed to think that banning of 'specific' weapons was an answer .. having guards in the school they both seemed to think was like having a big brother watch your back.

2 weeks ago a student brought a gun to my son's high school (as well as drugs) the resource officer listened to the students and stopped the young man in the parking lot before he could enter the building - the student fled after trying to run the officer over, shots were exchanged and a high speed pursuit took place .. catching the perp about a mile from the high school - he tossed his gun into the lawn of an assisted living/nursing home. (NO clue what happened to the drugs).  Now the student is claiming racial bias by the officer ... dishonesty is a part of life ... Change through Blame .. what a concept huh?

I do not care about off topic as long as a discussion is taking place - and not the tossing back and forth of inane comments of whataboutism and I know what you are but what am I ... 

Peace

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.1.9  1stwarrior  replied to  Colour Me Free @1.1.8    6 years ago

Colour - remember, the Swiss have a MANDATORY two year military obligation (minimum) for all males - females can voluntarily serve - and they are ALL issued rifles at their enlistment.

So, in effect, you're comparing apples to oranges since the U. S. did away with their draft after the 'Nam war, 45 years ago.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1.1.10  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  1stwarrior @1.1.9    6 years ago

I am comparing nothing .. others speak of the lack of gun violence in Switzerland, and the per capita gun ownership .. always failing to mention that many gun owners cannot actually bring their weapons home and that ammunition must be accounted for...

already we see discussion over Switzerland gun laws and how they work - Canada has similar laws, just not as many guns .. even how Australia has done things is a topic of conversation...

My statement in NO way compared US gun laws to any other country - none of the countries whose gun laws have been discussed in other seeds have a Constitutional right to bear arms.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Colour Me Free @1    6 years ago

Thanks for posting this. I've seen Kyle in a couple of interviews. He's a very well-spoken young man. Here's another interview if you're interested:

I found it sad that one of Kyle's outspoken fellow classmates,  Cameron Kasky, backed out of a debate with him because his feelings got hurt:

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1.2.1  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2    6 years ago

Thanks for the links Jasper....

I watched a couple interviews Kasky this morning .. had NO idea there had been a possible debate scheduled - would have been good programming, both are well spoken young people...

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Colour Me Free @1.2.1    6 years ago
had NO idea there had been a possible debate scheduled - would have been good programming,

I didn't know until I ran across that article. I definitely would have watched it. 

both are well spoken young people...

I agree, although I still don't understand why Cameron got so upset.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1.2.3  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2.2    6 years ago
I still don't understand why Cameron got so upset.

NO clue ... other than emotions are running high .. 

I admit, when I saw a report on clear backpacks, I cringed - it solves nothing, def does not ensure school safety .. yet neither will the ban of weapons.  Between 2009 and 2016 there were 156 mass shooting .. 2 of which were committed by an individual under 21 with an AR-15 (or semi automatic rifle)

Here is a couple interesting reads:

Raising the age limit on the AR-15 from 18 to 21 would do depressingly little

Very few teenagers commit mass shootings with semiautomatic rifles.

What we know about mass shootings

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
2  magnoliaave    6 years ago

How would one go about banning guns in the U.S.?  Would there be a door to door search?

Violence by students..what to do about that?

Stricter laws that are followed might work.

LEO following all leads of questionable circumstances might work.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
2.1  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  magnoliaave @2    6 years ago

Hi mags ...

Nahh, I would doubt a door to door search would take place .. but those with registered guns might see an officer at their door - hard to say..

The banning would be from 'this' time forward .. I have not read anything regarding the confiscation of weapons that 'law abiding' citizens of the US already possess...

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3  Spikegary    6 years ago

Glad to see at least one dissenting voice can be heard.  I've seen this young man's interview before.  There are measures that fall between the extremes of the pendulum swings.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.1  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  Spikegary @3    6 years ago

Agreed Spikegary .. when my (not so) lil man told me about Kyle - I had to go and see what I could find (I watch Meet the Press, but that is about it regarding network television political programming)  Kyle is it ... I hear the voices locally, but they are not being interviewed here either - the only students 'changing' America are the ones with a ban weapons message ... everyone else is not invited to the party? .... so to speak.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Spikegary @3    6 years ago
There are measures that fall between the extremes of the pendulum swings.

For once we agree. I've never supported any outright ban of guns in the US. I'm for strict universal background checks, waiting periods, limits on magazine size, bans on bump stocks and military style assault rifles including some semi-automatic rifles. That in no way violates the 2nd amendment so there is no need to modify or repeal it.

We should approve a ban on new sales of assault style rifles and implement a volunteer buyback option similar to what they did in Australia but only for those specifically listed assault weapons. We should require a background check for all gun sales including gun shows and aftermarket private sales. Will those measures guarantee there won't be another mass shooting with someone who got their hands on an AR-15 or other semi-automatic assault rifle? Of course not, but it will help limit criminals and the mentally ill from getting their hands on them. Much like locking your doors and windows doesn't mean a burglar can't get into your home, it's still a good idea to lock up instead of just openly risking an easy target home invasion. Let's stop making it so easy for criminals and the mentally ill to get their hands on weapons designed for maximum casualties.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.2    6 years ago
Let's stop making it so easy for criminals and the mentally ill to get their hands on weapons designed for maximum casualties.

Right! All those really, really strict gun laws will keep those criminals and the mentally ill from getting those evil guns

NOT!

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.2.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Greg Jones @3.2.1    6 years ago
Right! All those really, really strict gun laws will keep those criminals and the mentally ill from getting those evil guns

They would stop some, in my opinion a large portion of them. Is it not worth doing at all just because it's never going to be 100% effective? That's a sad defeatist mentality.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.2.3  Spikegary  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.2    6 years ago

I won a shotgun form a gun raffle a few eyars back.  When I picked it up, I had to fill out federal paperwork, then wait for the background check, which was pretty fast actually, before I could pick up the weapon.  For my pistol license in New York, I had to fill out mucho paperowrk, detail everything that has happened in my life, then go to a class, then wait (about 60 days total) for a judge to approve my pistol license.  I have to go to the county pistol office before i can take posession of a purchased or gifted pistol.

Assault Rifles are what exactly?  You cannot buy, without a serious Federal Firearms License (FFL), automatic weapons.  So what is an assault weapon?  A semi-automatic rifle?  Why is it that?  Without addressing the operator, banning the instrument does nothing.  In Britain, acid attacks are becoming commonplace, plus knifings are also happening.  How do you stop someone intent on doing evil?  It's impossible to ban everything when the head and heart are bent on doing murder.

Maybe video games that gloriy shooting other people?  We might want to address that.....or how about television shows that have people shooting others (although I did watch the rifleman as a kid-reruns-for you old farts-and I have never shot anyone).  So how do we address the operator?  As the operator is the real cause.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.2.4  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  Spikegary @3.2.3    6 years ago
How do you stop someone intent on doing evil?
So how do we address the operator? As the operator is the real cause.

I question the number of individuals that actually believe that evil exists .. Most everything is considered 'mental illness' .. must prevent the 'mentally ill' from obtaining weapons, when less than 1% of annual mass shootings are committed by the seriously mentally ill.  Go figure, I wonder how long it will take for individuals to figure that out?

Evil bastard exist .. the Colorado theatre shooter lost his mind after he discovered just how evil he could be!   (my opinion)

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
3.2.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Greg Jones @3.2.1    6 years ago

Right--removing the option to get an AR-15 will definitely keep those people from getting them.  It worked when the AWB was in effect. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    6 years ago

'I spent the morning watching interview after interview of Parkland students/survivors .. I was looking for a different message than ban guns .. difficult to find for sure - David Hogg certainly gets plenty of air time  ... '

I don't know where you are finding these folks who are talking about banning guns.  

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
5  DRHunk    6 years ago

They are making the leap that the call to ban assault weapons = banning all guns.  a post above even went so far as to say ban weapons removing the word assault either unknowingly or purposefully to cause mischief.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  Tessylo  replied to  DRHunk @5    6 years ago
'either unknowingly or purposefully to cause mischief.'

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
7  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

I know I'm part of the silent minority that is sick of the ban and would like to see new machine guns available to the public. This old junk is overpriced due to the governments distortion of the free market.