╌>

Roti - A Welcome Indian Snack

Category:  Photography & Art

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  6 years ago  •  20 comments

Roti - A Welcome Indian Snack

In the mall area below our apartment, a tiny Indian Roti kiosk opened.  In Toronto, I loved Indian food, and even now my wife makes a good veggie, meat and rice curry, but the nearest Indian restaurant is about a half-hour walk away.  Now I'm happy to say that at least I can enjoy an nice roti snack that is close at hand.

roti 3.jpg

The chef made me a banana roti, spreading banana slices over the "pancake", folding it up and then it was fried on a griddle.

roti 1.jpg

All it cost was 12 Yuan (the equivalent of US$2,) and there was more than I could eat for just a snack.

roti 2.jpg

They cut it into 2" squares, that are a little crispy and delicious.

roti 4.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Does anyone like East Indian food?

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
1.1  T.Fargo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    6 years ago

When I read East Indian food, I think of Jamaican food.

I made some curried French lentils that would go great in roti.  Just plan for some alone time next day.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    6 years ago

I don't know if what I like is East Indian or not, but, I do like the spicy Indian food.

I used to grow habaneros in my garden next to my tomato plants, as the hot peppers deter the tomato worms, as well as garlic. Tomato worms really hate both, so they make for a nice natural way of dealing with the pests.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
2  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Only if it's spicy enough to necessitate excessive cold beer consumption.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @2    6 years ago

.LOL  Here I am in the Chinese "hot-pot" spiciest restaurant place and I can't eat really spicy food.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
3  sixpick    6 years ago

Never had any of it and I should as many Indians I am around everyday.  I should ask some of them what they think I would like and stop by one sometime.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

Is that something like a streudel?  It looks yummy.

I haven't tried much Indian food, but what I have tried, I've liked.

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
4.1  nightwalker  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4    6 years ago

LOL

You might want to practice a little by gargling tabasco sauce to get that extra layer of skin on you tongue and throat first. When they say hot they mean it.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.1  Skrekk  replied to  nightwalker @4.1    6 years ago

Don't set your sights so low, start with the good stuff and gargle with Nepalese ghost pepper juice.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  nightwalker @4.1    6 years ago

Ha!  The older I get, the more I can handle spicy food.  Maybe I'm roasting my taste buds.  I don't know if I'll ever be ready for ghost peppers, though.  I'm skeert to try.

A few years ago, I took a Thai cooking class, and most of what we made was pretty spicy.  I have to tone it down when I make it for other people.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.2    6 years ago

The opposite for me - I have less and less tolerance for spicey.  My nephew when a young kid had a West Indian nanny who cooked a lot of meals for him, and he can eat fire. 

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
4.1.4  nightwalker  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.1    6 years ago

Yeah, I know about that ghost pepper sauce, one of the few sauces that HAS to be packaged in glass or it melts the container into a smoldering puddle. I even tried it on a nice beef stir-fry but I put in on like tabasco sauce and my so-called FRIENDS let me do it. I showed them, I ate it all. But I remember the taste every time I see a image of a forest fire. That ghost pepper sauce will make you glow in the dark for days.

blushing

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
4.1.5  nightwalker  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.2    6 years ago

Thai food uses something that comes in sprigs like rosemary to heat it up, do you know what it's called? I find the heat of the few tai dishes I go for just about right if I order it hot.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  nightwalker @4.1.5    6 years ago

I'm not sure what that would be.  Several dishes used Thai basil, which tastes a lot like licorice, and isn't hot.  I now grow Thai basil in containers on my deck, because it's hard to find in stores.

For everything else, we used either Thai chilis or chili paste, and adjusted the spiciness by varying the amounts.

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
4.1.7  nightwalker  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.6    6 years ago

Hmm I went digging through the dish (beef and veggies) looking for any peppers but I couldn't find ANY. Had kind of a white sauce and the only thing I found specifically that lit me up when I ate it was the sprigs at the bottom. I can't ask, the place closed up (probable had a fire in the kitchen) but it was called "tai foods" when it was open.

Perhaps the sprigs soaked up the heat from the sauce somehow, it had black and some green but tiny particles in it.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  nightwalker @4.1.7    6 years ago

I'm really not sure what it would be, then.  Of course, I only took one class, and learned 6 or 7 dishes, so I'm sure we didn't cover all seasonings used in Thai cooking.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4    6 years ago

Much thinner than streudel, even thinner than regular soda crackers, but still crispy and a little flakey.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
6  magnoliaave    6 years ago

I really like the curry.  I make a simple chicken curry dish.  Cooks almost all day. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  magnoliaave @6    6 years ago

Because of me, we use a very mild curry.