Rachel Giordano took her five year old daughter Maddie to Marthas Miniatures in Denison, Texas to buy a new outfit for Easter. She was unsurprised when Maddie made a beeline for the boys suits.

Ms Giordano told DFW : Shes a tom boy. Shes preferred to dress in boys clothes since she was about three-years-old. She just gets a suit every year. She looks forward to it.

She just wants to wear a suit and tie, and Easters the perfect time for it because theres always cute stuff out.

However when the shop assistantrealised the suit was for a little girl, Ms Giordano says she reacted extremely negatively: The womans face was just a face of disgust. She told me that I was promoting wrong behaviour. That parents should not let their children choose the way that they dress if its cross-gendered.

She just approached it in a very hostile manner and tells me thats wrong, I should not be encouraging this behaviour, that it sounds like its more of an issue on my part, than my daughters.

She says Maddie started to cry, so they left the shop. After encouraging friends to complain about the shop, the shop assistantapparently posted a statement on the shops Facebook page which has since been deleted.

It read: I was so shocked she asked for a boys suit for the child. I asked her why she was encouraging this. This is child abuse for the mother. I am sorry, I did not say anything to the children, just to the mom. She is wrong to encourage this.

Ms Giordano eventually bought a suit in another shop, and says: People dont need to pick on little kids for what theyre wearing.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/04/02/mother-accused-of-child-abuse-for-letting-daughter-wear-a-suit/