╌>

Immaculately Restored Film Lets You Revisit Life in New York City in 1911

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  jasper2529  •  6 years ago  •  33 comments

Immaculately Restored Film Lets You Revisit Life in New York City in 1911

Other than one or two of the world's supercentenarians, nobody remembers New York in 1911. Plenty of living historians and enthusiasts of the city have paid intensive attention to that booming time period when the city's population fast approached five million, but none experienced it first-hand. 

Take a look at the tailored or tailored-looking clothing on nearly everyone, even the one-legged man making his deliberate way past the Chinese grocery. Then as now, most New Yorkers got around on foot, and since the city's first subway line had opened just seven years before, the dominant public transit options remained streetcars and elevated trains.

MoMA, which exhibited the footage last year, also points out familiar landmarks: "Opening and closing with shots of the Statue of Liberty, the film also includes New York Harbor; Battery Park and the John Ericsson statue; the elevated railways at Bowery and Worth Streets; Broadway sights like Grace Church and Mark Cross; the Flatiron Building on Fifth Avenue; and Madison Avenue." Any modern New Yorker halfway interested in the city will know all those places, and even if the city has changed in countless other ways, they'll sense the very same characteristic vitality in these clips that they feel there today. 

http://www.openculture.com/2018/04/immaculately-restored-film-lets-you-revisit-life-in-new-york-city-in-1911.html

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Jasper2529    6 years ago

Will New Yorkers of the future have the same reaction, to, say, the 

"> Japanese high-definition video demo footage  shot on those very same streets in the 1990s? It'll take about eighty years to find out. We probably won't be here by then, but New York certainly will.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @1    6 years ago

Nice pics, thanks. Amazing how different the city used to look. Cleaner and for that time a modern metropolis. Today it's loaded with barriers, heavy traffic and how should I say it, danger can arrive in a minute from out of nowhere!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

Very, VERY cool!

We've all seen cinema reproductions of the same period, but this is the real thing... and it shos us that the movie-makers are wrong about one thing, bigly! Movies always show the streets teeming with people... but in fact, they were mostly empty! Pedestrians could wander at will...

Very, VERY cool!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Bob Nelson @2    6 years ago

I'm glad you enjoyed it. One of many things I noticed is that the vehicles' steering wheels were on the right instead of the left as they are today in US cars. Thank you for commenting!

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1    6 years ago

Lots of stuff to notice that is far different today.. Thank you for sharing the video. I watched in amazement. Footage shot like this is so telling. So real and so rare.

Thanks again 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.1.1    6 years ago

You're welcome, and thanks for stopping by to comment.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Very cool. It seems that people in 1911 dressed just like they do in movies about that era. Ain't that somethin !

Not one of the 115 tallest buildings in NYC today existed in 1911.  Closest is the Woolworth building which went up in 1913. 

TTGA
Professor Silent
3.1  TTGA  replied to  JohnRussell @3    6 years ago

John,

The triangular looking building in the opening is the Flatiron Building.  When it was first built in the 1880's, it was the tallest building in the city and is considered to be the first skyscraper built in New York.  Doesn't look all that tall compared to what is there today, and it looks like it was already outstripped by some of the others there in 1911, but it was considered almost a Wonder of the World when it was built.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4  Sunshine    6 years ago

Very cool Jasper, Thanks.

It is amazing how quickly America progressed in just a few years.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
5  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Several years ago, I acquired roughly 1000 Magic Lantern glass slides; these dated from roughly 1876-1920.

I have restored many of them, created digitized files, some of which depict scenes from New York City, Several World's Fairs, Europe, and other subjects I cannot identify as to time and place.

I will go through my data base and post some.

TTGA
Professor Silent
5.1  TTGA  replied to  A. Macarthur @5    6 years ago

That's great.  I always love those.

Very well restored.  I'm glad that they corrected the speed.  All of the previous old films I've seen look as if everyone is running.  That was due to the cameras and projectors being hand cranked and not synchronized with each other.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     6 years ago

The condition of the film is amazing. It's like it was filmed yesterday. 

It's so very cool to see things like they really were in 1911 and not in a Hollywood film.

Great article Jasper.

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
7  Fireryone    6 years ago

Very cool!  I'm glad you shared this.

Ender
Professor Principal
8  Ender    6 years ago

Hats, hats and more hats. I guess everyone wore a hat!  ha.

Nice find.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Ender @8    6 years ago

They did. Even when I was growing up, where I lived both men and women still wore hats. Men wore them all the time, and women wore hats and gloves for church, shopping, going to the theater/movies, and visiting. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @8    6 years ago

That continued until the 1950s.

zuksam
Junior Silent
9  zuksam    6 years ago

The weirdest thing is the sound which I know is fake but it's so quiet compared to when I've visited NY that you can hear footsteps. Modern NY has a constant drone that drowns out everything but the very loud or very close.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10  TᵢG    6 years ago

What a great find!   Surreal really.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

Very cool Japer. I think that was the year my grandmother came to New York. 

Loved the shots of the Flatiron building. Here it is now:

Image result for flatiron building

In some ways the city has changed and in others it looks familiar. The downtown area didn't change that much but the rest of the city wow. 

Thanks for posting this. It was an amazing look back at a by gone day. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
12  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

As indicated previously, I am posting a RESTORED IMAGE … this originating as a MAGIC LANTERN GLASS SLIDE; the caption was added by me.

hazyafternoonseasidepavillionnewjerseyshore1915vintaagurmankin.jpg

I have restored and created digital counterparts for roughly 1000 of these slides.

© A. Mac/A.G.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
12.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  A. Macarthur @12    6 years ago

I like it. There's a retro-futurist aspe t...

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
12.1.1  A. Macarthur  replied to  Bob Nelson @12.1    6 years ago

Have many, many, many others.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
12.2  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  A. Macarthur @12    6 years ago
As indicated previously, I am posting a RESTORED IMAGE … this originating as a MAGIC LANTERN GLASS SLIDE; the caption was added by me.

Very nice photo, but it would be more appropriate and polite to submit your photographic work on your own article instead of detracting from my seed.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
12.2.1  A. Macarthur  replied to  Jasper2529 @12.2    6 years ago
it would be more appropriate and polite to submit your photographic work on your own article instead of detracting from my seed.
Excuse me … I will never again detract from your seeds.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
12.2.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jasper2529 @12.2    6 years ago

You're wrong, Jasper.

Mac's post adds to the conversation. Your film is a period piece. Mac's photo is a period piece they fit together very nicely.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
12.2.3  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Bob Nelson @12.2.2    6 years ago
You're wrong, Jasper.

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Mac's post adds to the conversation. Your film is a period piece. Mac's photo is a period piece they fit together very nicely.

While I agree that both Mac's and my photos/film are period pieces, if I had added my film to his or someone else's seed/article, a moderator would have stepped in to tell me that my film was off-topic and detracting from Mac's topic. It is what it is.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
12.2.4  A. Macarthur  replied to  Jasper2529 @12.2.3    6 years ago
While I agree that both Mac's and my photos/film are period pieces, if I had added my film to his or someone else's seed/article, a moderator would have stepped in to tell me that my film was off-topic and detracting from Mac's topic. It is what it is.

Absolutely incorrect, and, contradicted by perhaps, a hundred or more photo and Creative Arts Group discussions in which, not only did such moderation NOT occur, but, within which, the very opposite has taken place and continues to take place! "Photography and Creative Arts are not only the names of the feature and Group, but inherently, the VERY TOPIC ITSELF regardless of the subject or medium.

Feel free to add any of your film or photos to those discussions without fear of being "moderated."

Certainly in the political forums where "off-topic" is frequently used as an excuse to thwart disparate opinions … that occurs … but not in the photography nor the Creative Arts Group.

And for the record, the photograph to which you objected is quite ON-TOPIC since it represents the restoration of a graphic medium iteration from the same photographic and film technological era.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
12.2.5  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  A. Macarthur @12.2.4    6 years ago

Feel free to add any of your film or photos to those discussions without fear of being "moderated."

Certainly in the political forums where "off-topic" is frequently used as an excuse to thwart disparate opinions … that occurs … but not in the photography nor the Creative Arts Group.

Then I stand corrected and deeply apologize. In my 6 months of membership, it has been my impression that NewsTalkers does not allow that which deviates from the topic of a seed or article. I did not know that some groups allow deviations.

Thank you for your invitation to add your group.

Kavika
Professor Principal
12.2.6  Kavika   replied to  Jasper2529 @12.2.5    6 years ago

Jasper, you'll find that the photography group is a fun group and everyone contributes photos. Some are of professional quality and others, like mine, are just the best I can do with phone/camera. 

There are also a number of photo essay's that are great and people add to the photos or comment. 

Give them a try, you'll enjoy it.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
12.2.7  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Kavika @12.2.6    6 years ago

Thanks, Kavika. When I found this movie, I wanted to share it on NT, but I didn't see a group I belonged to where I could do it. When I saw this group, I thought, "Well, I'm not a member, but maybe I can add the movie to it" and sure enough, I could.

I'd like to again apologize to everyone I offended, and I won't make that mistake again.

I don't take photos, but when I find something interesting on the Internet, I'll seed it to this group.

Kavika
Professor Principal
12.2.8  Kavika   replied to  Jasper2529 @12.2.7    6 years ago

Jasper, I would add a photo of my lovely wife of many many years that was taken on a stoop in the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn in 1945. 

If I dared she would say something to the order of,  ''hey dumb ass, what do you think your doing''.

LOL

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
12.2.9  A. Macarthur  replied to  Jasper2529 @12.2.5    6 years ago

Jasper,

Please be a frequent contributor and consider the Photography & Art, and, the Creative Arts Group as "OPEN" forums for stills, film, video … all things creative  …

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
12.2.10  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  A. Macarthur @12.2.9    6 years ago

I will! Thanks very much!