╌>

How Windmills as Wide as Jumbo Jets Are Making Clean Energy Mainstream

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  bob-nelson  •  6 years ago  •  6 comments

How Windmills as Wide as Jumbo Jets Are Making Clean Energy Mainstream

oakImage1520029999861superJumbo.jpg

At the northern end of Denmark’s Jutland peninsula, the wind blows so hard that rows of trees grow in one direction, like gnarled flags.

The relentless weather over this long strip of farmland, bogs and mud flats — and the real-world laboratory it provides — has given the country a leading role in transforming wind power into a viable source of clean energy.

After energy prices spiked during the 1973 oil crisis, entrepreneurs began building small turbines to sell here. “It started out as an interest in providing power for my parents’ farm,” said Henrik Stiesdal, who designed and built early prototypes with a blacksmith partner.

The initial windmills made by small operations had quality problems. Blades — then just 15 feet in length — would break or fall apart.

Now, they are giants, made by global players pulling off enormous feats of engineering.

Extract from the Original article by STANLEY REED, CARSTEN SNEJBJERG and RASMUS DEGNBOL , in NYT energy-environment .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

The photos and short-videos are fabulous.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

There is nothing to see when I click the link other than a pop-up from the NYT trying to sucker me out of ten bucks. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    6 years ago

Dean,

I just checked the link and I saw the article. You are only allowed 10 free articles a week at the NYT, so I guess you went over your limit. 

Bob, that is something to keep in mind. You might want to post more of the article, since I run into this issue a lot, too. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.1  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    6 years ago

Dean,

The URL is

Perrie,

I don't see any way to seed the videos, which are the coolest part...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.1    6 years ago

Yes I see that... the NYT is very sneaky about hiding their codes so you have to pay for the service. You can use the permalink located on the upper right corner, after you scroll a bit. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.3  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.2    6 years ago

I don't see the link you're talking about, but I'm a subscriber and I'm on an android tablet.