(Photo: Becky Kagan Schott/Caters News)

Sunken Ship Gunilda

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Click this link to see the fantastic slideshow photos of a ship that sank in Lake Superior more than a century ago - and is in almost perfect condition:

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.1  arkpdx  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    6 years ago

There are two reasons why the ship is so well preserved even after 100 years. First the lakes are fresh water and does not corrode and rot the materials. Second, the water in the lake especially deep is very cold and preserves things. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  arkpdx @1.1    6 years ago

The biggest shipwreck in the Great Lakes was the Edmund Fitzgerald.

1280px-Edmund_Fitzgerald%2C_1971%2C_3_of

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
1.1.2  Old Hermit  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    6 years ago

Edmund Fitzgerald

Ha.

As I was enjoying your seed Gordon Lightfoot was signing quietly in the back of my mind as well Buzz.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    6 years ago

Maybe the word "shipwreck" isn't entirely accurate, because it was a huge storm that did the E.F. in.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.1.4  Spikegary  replied to  Old Hermit @1.1.2    6 years ago

I always enjoyed the song, though I didn't know Gordon also did it in sign language.

LOL

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Spikegary @1.1.4    6 years ago

There was a really good documentary on the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald on the Discovery Channel. You can get it on youtube.. but maybe Buzz can get it on Chinese youtube. It explains what actually happen to the ship. 

As for the song, I always loved it. It came out when I was a young teen, so I had assumed it had happened a long time ago. I was shocked to find out that it had only just happened. Gordon Lightfoot did a great job of making is sound like an old sea shanty. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.6  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.5    6 years ago

He changed some of the words of the song when the family of one of the crew thought that the original words were uncomplimentary about their lost loved one. Gord may not look it, but he is an exceptionally sensitive person. His song "If You Could Read My Mind" is about his wife when his marriage went south.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

Cool.

Those of us who have never spent serious time near the Great Lakes don't really understand that they are in fact inland seas, with full-sized ships... and inevitably... shipwrecks.

One of the Anna Pigeon books was set in an underwater park, with shipwreck.

TTGA
Professor Silent
2.1  TTGA  replied to  Bob Nelson @2    6 years ago
Those of us who have never spent serious time near the Great Lakes don't really understand that they are in fact inland seas, with full-sized ships... and inevitably... shipwrecks.

In some ways, they're rougher than the ocean.  Since they're not as deep as the major oceans, the wave action is much rougher in a storm.  On the wall in this office I have a map showing shipwrecks in the Great Lakes.  It's covered with little red marks and descriptions of the ships, over 900 of them.  The Great Lakes have the highest concentration of shipwrecks in the world.  The first was the Griffon.  She set out from Green Bay bound for Sault Ste. Marie, with a cargo of furs in 1679,and disappeared.  Every now and then, some diver says that he found her, but it always turns out to be some other vessel.

The largest was the Edmund Fitzgerald.  She went down about 20 miles off Whitefish Point in November of 1975, right out there......

2001VacationWhitefish Point11.jpg

If my compass bearings were right, she should be about 10 miles over the horizon, just to right of center in this picture and about 200 feet down.  I took this shot from the beach in front of the Whitefish Point Museum in 2001.  I also got this one inside the building....

2001VacationWhitefish PointBell of Edmund Fitzgerald.jpg1.jpg

This is the ship's bell from the Fitzgerald, brought up with the permission of the families of the crew, for display at the museum.  As you can see, the room is kept pretty dark (a few years back, Mac helped me lighten it a bit without it going grainy; the original picture was much darker).  The song by Gordon Lightfoot is played, at a very low sound level, all the time while the museum is open.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA @2.1    6 years ago

For a couple of years, Gordon Lightfoot lived only 4 houses away from mine.  The only time I ever visited him was when Ramblin' Jack Elliott was staying over at my house and he wanted to spend some time with Gordon.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Kavika   replied to  TTGA @2.1    6 years ago

Having lived by Lake Superior and a number of my family worked the ore boats out of Duluth/Superior I have a great respect for Gitchi Gumi. 

She is legend among the Ojibwe people. The Apostle Islands are sacred to our people. 

Photo of Split Rock Lighthouse on the North Shore, near Duluth MN. 

Image result for photos of split rock lighthouse on lake superior

Along the North Shore the legend of John Beargrease lives on.

Veronica
Professor Guide
2.1.3  Veronica  replied to  TTGA @2.1    6 years ago

Awesome pics.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
2.1.4  Spikegary  replied to  Kavika @2.1.2    6 years ago

Don't you have a story of a horrendous creature that lives on one of the islands?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Kavika   replied to  Spikegary @2.1.4    6 years ago

Not on these islands Spike. You might be thinking of Weendigo Island on Lake of the Woods in MN/Canada. Another inland sea. 80 miles wide by 80 miles long with 14,000 islands on it. It is the home of the ''Hunting Wind'' and the most evil of all creatures of the Ojibwe, The Weendigo.

TTGA
Professor Silent
2.1.6  TTGA  replied to  Kavika @2.1.2    6 years ago

Kav,

Did you notice that, in both your picture and mine, the lake is nice and calm and smooth.  Don't know about yours but mine was taken in mid June.  To all you folks out there, who have never seen the lakes, none of them, particularly Lake Superior, look at all like that in October and November.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Kavika   replied to  TTGA @2.1.6    6 years ago

I did notice that TTGA. Mine was taken in August I believe...

The gales of November.

Image result for photos of lake superior in november storm

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.8  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA @2.1.6    6 years ago

Nobody depicts that fact better than Canada's famous artists, The Group of Seven (plus Tom Thompson)

Tom Thompson: The West Wind

EG00923.jpg

Fredric Varley, Group of Seven

422506461.jpg?mw=1920&mh=1080&q=70

Sketch of the Lovely North

VAG-2014_JEH_Macdonald_334jpg.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @2    6 years ago

I lived all of my life until I moved to China next to Lake Ontario.  When I was a kid I used to swim in Lake Ontario at Burlington Beach, where my grandmother had a cottage and I spent my summers there.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
2.2.1  Spikegary  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2    6 years ago

Port Dahlousie on the old Welland Canal is a wonderful place to go spend time ont he lake, though dependent on alot of facvtors, the waters can be 'off limits' due to bacteria.

I had my boat in the Oak Orchard River (Orleans County, N.Y.) and would go onto Lake Ontario.  It can be pretty daunting, even on what appears to be a calm and sunny day.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.3  Sunshine  replied to  Bob Nelson @2    6 years ago

Most people do not realize how much coastline Michigan has.  We have almost as much as California.  I have spent a lot of time on Lake Michigan and traveled to Lake Superior a few times....Pictured Rocks, Marquette, and Sault St. Marie, Soo Locks, Mackinaw Island.   Northern and Upper Michigan is absolutely stunning.  

TTGA
Professor Silent
2.3.1  TTGA  replied to  Sunshine @2.3    6 years ago
Most people do not realize how much coastline Michigan has.  We have almost as much as California.

Yep.  We have the longest fresh water coastline in the world.  Only State that has one that is longer is Florida, and that's not fresh water.  Alaska comes close but had to settle for the title of largest population of mosquitoes.  They just barely beat us on that one.

I have a bunch more pictures from that 2001 trip.  If it's OK with Buzz, I'll post some of them here.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.3.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA @2.3.1    6 years ago

No problem, please post.

TTGA
Professor Silent
2.3.3  TTGA  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.3.2    6 years ago

Buzz,

When I checked the pictures I had of three different trips up there (1981, 1990 and 2001), I found that I had over 32 of them concerning 7 different locations.  That many would almost certainly derail your excellent article.  So, what I will do is put a couple of nice ones here, one in the Thursday/Friday article on the Photography Group and use the rest to write another article.  Perhaps I'll call it "A Scenic Tour of Northern Michigan" or something like that.  I'm thinking that, since Bob has already put up some very nice pictures from Northern Arizona and that you have done much the same for the area of China where you live, those articles might inspire the folks here on NT to put up similar articles showing scenic photos of the areas where they live. We'll see whether it works.  Even if it doesn't inspire others, they're fun articles to write.

Here are a couple of shots of the Pictured Rocks area taken while on a boat tour out of Munising, Michigan in 1990.

The young man in this picture is now  34 years old and the dad of the four kids shown in my avatar.  The older one already had a lot of white in his hair but, as my son just told me, at least then, he still had hair.

1990VacationPictured Rocks TourDad and Bobby.jpg

This shot shows the erosion which produced the structure of this part of the Southern shoreline of Lake Superior.

1990VacationPictured Rocks Tour05.jpg

This picture shows the formation that, for obvious reasons, is called The Flower Vase.

1990VacationPictured Rocks TourFlower Vase.jpg

This one is known as the Colored Caves.

1990VacationPictured Rocks TourColored Caves.jpg

Last is a picture of the Tahquamenon Falls, the Niagara of Northern Michigan, near the town of Newberry.  The brown color of the water comes from the fact that the river flows through a Cedar swamp upstream of the falls.  The tree bark leaches Tannic Acid into the water.

2001VacationTaquomonen Falls11.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.3.4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA @2.3.3    6 years ago

Interesting - things I've never seen before. Thanks, TTGA, for posting them. I look forward to your proposed article.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

Amazing series of photos Buzz...

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     6 years ago

The story of another shipwreck on Lake Superior.

SS Bannockburn, a.k.a. “The Flying Dutchman of Lake Superior”

Lake Superior Shipwreckshttp://images.dailyhive.com/20161017132714/Bannockburn-shipwreck-1024x758.jpg 1024w, 500w, 1200w, 1280w" sizes="(max-) 100vw, 1024px">

Wikipedia

SS Bannockburn was a Canadian steel-hulled freighter that disappeared on November 21st, 1902. Its loss is one of the biggest mysteries on Lake Superior, with no trace of the missing vessel ever to have been discovered. Since her disappearance, many sailors claimed to have seen her running without lights during stormy weather.

The ship was lost in the middle of the lake, and all 21 people on board lost their lives. The Bannockburn, which was 245 feet (75 meters) long, and 40 feet (12.2 meters) wide, was on her way from Port Arthur to the Soo with a load of wheat, but disappeared without a trace sometime after 11:00 PM on November 21st.

She had been launched 9 years prior her disappearance, in 1893, and had quite an unusual profile for a freighter. On her voyages hauling grains for the Montreal Transportation Company, captains from other ships could recognize the Bannockburn before they could even read her nameplate. The ship had become a common sight on the Great Lakes.

What’s interesting about the Bannockburn is the fact that she had 2 major incidents before she sank. In April 1897, the ship ran aground on the rocks near Snake Island light. Even though no lives were lost, she was badly damaged. Several months later, in October 1897, on her way to Kingston carrying grain, she struck the wall of the Welland Canal and took 9 feet of water.

On November 20th 1902, one day before her final voyage, the ship ran aground shortly after leaving Fort William, and turned back to port. Having suffered no apparent damage, the Bannockburn recommenced her journey on November 21st 1902.

The ship was later spotted by the famous Captain James McMaugh of the Algonquin, who estimated that the Bannockburn was 80 miles off Keweenaw Point and 40 miles off Isle Royale. Later that night, as a strong winter storm began on Lake Superior, the Bannockburn was spotted at about 11:00 PM by the passenger steamer Huronic, never to be seen again. On November 30th 1902, the ship was declared lost.

However, this doesn’t mean that the Bannockburn wasn’t allegedly sighted afterwards. Easily identifiable by her profile, it’s hard to mistake it for another ship. While some of the sightings are clearly just stories, others are not that easy to dismiss, and have been reported in regional newspapers.

One such story was that of the ore freighter Walter A. Hutchison, shortly after World War 2. When the crew saw the Bannockburn just a hundred yards away coming straight at them, the captain tried to put some distance between the Walter A. Hutchison and the Bannockburn, and steered to the northeast. The Bannockburn went past Walter A. Hutchison safely, only to run aground and disappear. If the captain of the Walter A. Hutchison hadn’t changed course, the ship could have easily be destroyed by the rocks.

Veronica
Professor Guide
4.1  Veronica  replied to  Kavika @4    6 years ago

Interesting.  I love reading articles & books about the Great Lakes.  They are so mysterious and awesome.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @4    6 years ago

So it was another ship lost due to the "gales of November"........or was it......................

Veronica
Professor Guide
5  Veronica    6 years ago

That is so amazing to see.  Kind of spooky though.  

Live in Rochester NY near Lake Ontario.  All the lakes have their dark side.  I love to read about the lakes & the things that have gone on in and near them.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
5.1  Spikegary  replied to  Veronica @5    6 years ago

I live just west of you, less than an hour or so....Enoch lives closer to you........I'm actually heading to Spencerport on Saturday.

Veronica
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Veronica  replied to  Spikegary @5.1    6 years ago

I used to live closer to Enoch than I do now.  I was in West Henrietta a mile from Scottsville, now I am in Chili Center.  

evilone
Professor Guide
6  evilone    6 years ago

Since I live within spitting distance of Lake Superior and while in the Coast Guard sailed on all the Great Lakes I can attest to how quickly and crappy the weather can get. I've sailed on the Atlantic up around Georges Banks in the winter where we had 20 foot seas and 4 foot waves. That's pretty bad, but no quite like the pounding you get with 4 foot waves constantly hitting you on Lake Superior in November. Both are bad, just in different ways. 

From less than two weeks ago

lighthouse_wave_wide_2.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.2  Kavika   replied to  evilone @6    6 years ago

Great photo EG....She is the devil in November.

Pedro
Professor Participates
7  Pedro    6 years ago

My wife and I were talking about the big shipwreck map for Lake Superior earlier today. Very neat article.