╌>

‘I want to die’: David Goodall, 104, hours away from ending his life in Switzerland

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  tfargo  •  6 years ago  •  75 comments

‘I want to die’: David Goodall, 104, hours away from ending his life in Switzerland

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/people/2018/05/09/david-goodall-assisted-dying/

In less than 24 hours, Australia’s oldest scientist will be injected with a lethal mix of drugs, closing the chapter on his 104-year life.

On Thursday (Switzerland time), Dr David Goodall will voluntarily end his life in an assisted dying clinic in Basel, in north-western Switzerland.

Dr Goodall will likely become the 45th person from Australia to have undergone euthanasia in a foreign country.

In the past 15 years, 44 Australians have travelled to Switzerland to end their lives through voluntary euthanasia, Dr Philip Nitschke, founder of euthanasia advocacy group Exit International, told The New Daily.

“There’s not going to be many people who have either the ability or the money or the willingness to go through what is quite a long and difficult journey,” Dr Nitschke said from Switzerland.

DavidGoodallathome960x540.jpg

‘I want to die’

Before deciding to end his life in an assisted dying clinic in Switzerland, Dr Goodall reportedly attempted suicide three different times.

After having his driver’s licence revoked at age 94, the esteemed academic and grandfather of 12 said his loss of independence made him want to die.

“At my age, I get up in the morning. I eat breakfast. And then I just sit until lunchtime. Then I have a bit of lunch and just sit. What’s the use of that?” he told CNN.

With more than 100 research papers published and three doctorates under his belt, Dr Goodall was awarded a Member of the Order of Australia for his contributions to science, specifically the areas of plant ecology and natural resources management.

He continued to work well past the age of 100.

for more, click the link atop the page.

For some this is a morbid subject - Euthanasia of human beings.  Why is it in society, we feel a deep sadness for a sick pet that cannot be whole again and euthanize that pet, but when we feel that sadness for a human being that can make that decision for themself, society doesn't allow them to within the letter of law?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
1  seeder  T.Fargo    6 years ago

I believe in death with dignity.  A DNR is not the same as a proactive approach to inevitability.  Thoughts?

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1  JBB  replied to  T.Fargo @1    6 years ago

I could not agree with you more. Just about everyone has experienced the prolonged suffering of loved ones who begged for escape without legal relief. It makes me sad that David Goodall has reached the point where he feels it is time but he has had a long ride and only he knows what indignities he is living with today. I don't know about you but when it is my time I would rather lay my burden down of my own accord rather than have it snatched from me unexpectedly or worse to linger interminably possibly long past mental acuity attached to machines and dependent upon others to wipe my behind...

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  T.Fargo @1    6 years ago

I have a DNR and, my kids know when I reach that point I don't want to be kept alive just to satisfy some need they have.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.2    6 years ago
I have a DNR and,

As do I. I have experienced the results of being resuscitated with my Maternal Grandfather. He had been gone for several minutes by the time the Paramedics arrived, but, my Grandmother insisted that he be brought back. The results of being resuscitated was that he was left a living vegetable. He could not speak, was deaf, and totally unable to move. He could not even recognize my Grandmother, nor any other members of our family. He could only lay in bed and cry out loud. He could not feed himself, and his organs were seriously malfunctioning. He had to be in a Care Home and fed through a tube. 

Yes, he was alive once again, but, at what price to him? 

I will not put my family through that, nor do I want to end up that way. When the Creator has decided it is my time to move on to the next steps of my own eternal journey, then no one has the right to challenge that decision. Not even me. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Raven Wing @1.2.1    6 years ago

I'm sorry you had to watch that, RW.

A high school friend witnessed the same with her father.  He had a severe heart attack, but was revived.  He was unable to breathe on his own, so he was put on a ventilator and couldn't speak.  He didn't have a living will.  His wife couldn't let go, and when asked, told the doctors to do all they could to keep him alive.  My friend said her father was shaking his head to tell them that he didn't want that, but the doctors complied with his wife's wishes.  He lingered for months.  Most of his organs had suffered from lack of oxygen, and failed slowly, one at a time, until he passed.  Not the way he wanted to go.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.2.3  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.2    6 years ago
Not the way he wanted to go.

No one should have to live like that, as that is not truly living, it is simply having a heart beat. I can understand it is hard to lose a life's partner, as when my Mother walked on she and my Father had been married for 64 years. Losing her was very hard for my Father, harder for him than the rest of the family. They were both in the teens when they married, and stood together through many trials and tribulations over the years. But, their love was strong and held them together. Before he walked on as well, my Father said, "It's time I went to be with Mother". Three days later he did just that. While I missed him terribly, I felt happy for him to finally be with his beloved life partner again. 

When he came down with pneumonia the Dr wanted to put him in the hospital, but, he refused to go, saying. "If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die at home." I had no objection to his doing that, and looked after him until he walked on. I knew he would be very unhappy and feeling alone with strangers in the hospital, so allowing him to stay at home and having peace of mind, with his family with him, he was be able to go in peace. 

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
2  seeder  T.Fargo    6 years ago

Cosmos reports the distinguished Doctor is no more.

May the grieving be brief for his friends and family.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  T.Fargo @2    6 years ago

RIP, Sir.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
3  magnoliaave    6 years ago

It is our call.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  JBB  replied to  magnoliaave @3    6 years ago

It should be but mostly it is not and it is a lot harder to accomplish that many think without assistance...

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
4  seeder  T.Fargo    6 years ago

Where else is assisted dying allowed?

Assisted suicide describes any act that intentionally helps another person kill themselves, for example by providing them with the means to do so, most commonly by prescribing a lethal medication.

It differs from euthanasia, which is a third-party intervention to end a life to relieve suffering, such as when a doctor administers the lethal dose.

• In Switzerland, assisted suicide is allowed only if the person assisting acts unselfishly. It is the only country with centres offering assisted suicide to foreign nationals
  • The Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg permit euthanasia and assisted suicide. In the Netherlands and Belgium, euthanasia is available to minors in specific instances
  • Colombia allows euthanasia
  • Six US states - Oregon, Washington, Vermont, Montana, California and Colorado - permit assisted dying for terminally ill patients. The US capital Washington DC implemented a similar law for the city's residents in 2017
  • Canada followed the province of Quebec in permitting euthanasia and assisted suicide in 2016

Cite

Enoch
Masters Quiet
5  Enoch    6 years ago

Dear Friend T. Fargo: Great topic.

One of universal relevance.

I must recuse myself from comment.

I am a Chaplain who specializes in end of life Pastoral care.

Connecting the dots on my recusal is easy.

I am favorably impressed by the wisdom, compassion, and clarity of vision shown by those commenting in this discussion thread.

Be proud of yourselves.

I am of all of you.

Peace and Abundant Blessings Always.

Enoch.

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
5.1  seeder  T.Fargo  replied to  Enoch @5    6 years ago
Be proud of yourselves.

Enoch, I applaud you for the work you do.  

Yesterday my wife and I gave comfort to an old friend and neighbor who is still distraught from the recent loss of her brother.  The discussion wavered between the stages of grief, scientific observation and faith and yet our goals were the same.  To feel love and belonging while present in this world.

LynneA
Freshman Silent
6  LynneA    6 years ago

Terminating life is undoubtedly the most intimate, personal decision.  Moral questions surrounding when, under what circumstances, family approval, etc. are best left to the individual.   Without a legal proclamation of right or wrong, society could allow for self-determination.

That said, the possible abuses, given the depravity of man, lend themselves to government intervention.

An issue with no foreseeable absolutes.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  LynneA @6    6 years ago
That said, the possible abuses, given the depravity of man, lend themselves to government intervention.

Soylent Green

JBB
Professor Principal
6.2  JBB  replied to  LynneA @6    6 years ago

I have questions about a government that keeps people alive long after they want to be for corporate profits...

While I do not want to be dispatched to save the government money I don't want to be extended for a profit.

Regulation must be enforced but I see no reason people's lives should be extended against their own decision.

Unable to even roll over in bed despite his brain continuing to work fine Daddy begged for release for years...

So, I kinda take the subject personally. Doctors, suppliers and hospitals profited from his prolonged suffering.

LynneA
Freshman Silent
6.2.1  LynneA  replied to  JBB @6.2    6 years ago
Regulation must be enforced but I see no reason people's lives should be extended against their own decision.

I'm totally on-board. 

Sorry to hear of your Dad's suffering.  Our road was easier to hoe as our daughter was declared brain dead.  Still the most intimate personal decisions we've ever made...keep on life support or become a donor family. 

If our world encompassed only loving, caring families there would be no issues to regulate.  Unfortunately we don't.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.2.2  Freefaller  replied to  JBB @6.2    6 years ago
no reason people's lives should be extended against their own decision.

Definitely agree in cases of incurable diseases, injuries and such, but believe there should be a review process/limitations in place for people suffering from mental illness (ie depression).

JBB
Professor Principal
6.2.3  JBB  replied to  Freefaller @6.2.2    6 years ago

I agree and I did say it should be regulated though maybe sometimes depression is a fatal disease...

Heck, olde age is fatal 100% of the time. Forty years his junior I can only imagine the pain being 104.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.2.4  Raven Wing  replied to  LynneA @6.2.1    6 years ago
Our road was easier to hoe as our daughter was declared brain dead.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your Daughter. There is no greater pain than the loss of a child. Living with the knowledge that there is nothing you can do as a Parent is truly very hard to deal with as well. And making the decisions that must be made in their best interest at such a time is heartbreaking. 

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Lynne}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.2.5  Freefaller  replied to  JBB @6.2.3    6 years ago
Heck, olde age is fatal 100% of the time. Forty years his junior I can only imagine the pain being 104.

Cant argue that.  Lol I'm 10 years your junior and have trouble envisioning being 64

LynneA
Freshman Silent
6.2.6  LynneA  replied to  Raven Wing @6.2.4    6 years ago

Thank you Raven Wing, if I recall you speak from personal experience.  Fortunate many of us are able to come through, with our scars and brokenness, to embrace every day we're given on this earth.  Choosing to live joyfully has always been the right path for me.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.2.7  Raven Wing  replied to  LynneA @6.2.6    6 years ago
Choosing to live joyfully has always been the right path for me.

You are most welcome Lynne.  Yes, I have indeed experienced the loss of a child, and the serious heartbreak that goes with it. But, like you, I decided to live as happy and full a life as I can, and the Creator has given me the strength to do so. To do otherwise would be a dishonor to my Son, who fought so bravely through is terminal cancer and faced death at such an early age with dignity. He was truly a great Warrior, and made not only me, but, his Cherokee ancestors proud. 

LynneA
Freshman Silent
6.2.8  LynneA  replied to  Raven Wing @6.2.7    6 years ago

Big hugs

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8  Split Personality    6 years ago

Exit International, which represented the scientist, said Goodall passed away while listening to Beethoven's "Ode to Joy."

"My life has been out in the field (working), but I can't go out in the field now," Goodall, who needs a wheelchair and walking frame to get around, said during an interview at his Basel hotel.

"I would love to be able to walk into the bush again, and see what is all around me," added the father of four, who during his long life had three wives.

"I could still enjoy birdsong," he added. "But my lack of vision would seriously impair it."

Goodall told CNN he would have preferred to have died when he lost his driver's license in 1998, adding that the loss of independence at 94 was a big moment in his life.

"At my age, I get up in the morning. I eat breakfast. And then I just sit until lunchtime. Then I have a bit of lunch and just sit. What's the use of that?" said the scientist, who appeared to have lost none of his sense of humor on Tuesday, wearing a top inscribed with the words "Aging Disgracefully."

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

I have my concerns about this. This is not a man with a terminal disease. Many seniors suffer from depression and I think that before someone who has no real medical issues, should be evaluated before being allowed to be take their own life. 

This all feels a little Soylant Green to me. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9    6 years ago

Even if he is suffering from depression, do we as a society have the right to tell him he has to wait until he dies of natural causes? How does his family feel?

LynneA
Freshman Silent
9.3  LynneA  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9    6 years ago
This is not a man with a terminal disease.

Not medically.  Perhaps being alive with no purpose was incurable.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  LynneA @9.3    6 years ago
Even if he is suffering from depression, do we as a society have the right to tell him he has to wait until he dies of natural causes? 
Not medically.  Perhaps being alive with no purpose was incurable.

What if a 35 year old said that? Would you feel the same way?

If the senior is found to be depressed, shouldn't the depression be treated first before a decision like this is made?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.3.1    6 years ago

If they have no family, why not?

LynneA
Freshman Silent
9.3.4  LynneA  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.3.1    6 years ago

If the 35 year old was in the physical and mental state of this 104 year old...I think I would.  However, trying to ascertain how I'd personally respond is guesswork at best. 

When we've emotional attachment and faced with "what would you do?", decisions take on a different life.  That's when people like Enoch are invaluable.

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
9.3.5  seeder  T.Fargo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.3.1    6 years ago

Many [depressed] 35 YO's jump in front of trains in Germany.  Seniors there lay down on the tracks.  It seems for those with a wish to die, they will accomplish it.  Maybe the offer of assisted euthanasia could help identify those with cureable depression and avoid a scenario like derailing a train and putting other lives at risk? 

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
9.3.6  seeder  T.Fargo  replied to  LynneA @9.3.4    6 years ago
That's when people like Enoch are invaluable.

Clapping

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.3.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.3.2    6 years ago
If they have no family, why not?

Because it would still be ethically wrong. Think about when people go on trial. The court always determines if a person is of sound mind. 

If a person is depressed they are not competent. If after the depression is cured and they still want this, and there is a sound reason for it, then I guess ethically it is OK.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.3.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.3.7    6 years ago
Because it would still be ethically wrong.

good points

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.3.9  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.3.8    6 years ago

TY :)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.3.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.3.7    6 years ago
If a person is depressed they are not competent.

I'm not sure I agree here.  Some depression is situational.  In Dr. Goodall's case, the cause of his depression - loneliness, boredom, not being able to do the things that gave his life meaning, probable loss of most of his loved ones - aren't likely to improve, but would have worsened as he aged.

A psych evaluation is warranted before assisted suicide, I think, but I don't think depression itself should be a disqualifying factor.  Some people are depressed for very good reasons that aren't fixable.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.3.11  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  T.Fargo @9.3.5    6 years ago

Of course people who suffer from depression can find a way to die. I lost a friend to a jump. But we as a society should be doing our due diligence before we willfully participate in such an act. 

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
9.4  seeder  T.Fargo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9    6 years ago
someone who has no real medical issues

I don't think all issues can be observed, nor do I think individuals should be gaslighted into thinking they're okay and should plug on.  I think that all creatures, great and small (hat tip to James Herriot), inherently know their time is up when a long life has run its course.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.4.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  T.Fargo @9.4    6 years ago

I don't disagree with that, but I do think that depression should be considered. I think that this is a slippery slope issue. 

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
9.4.2  seeder  T.Fargo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.4.1    6 years ago

Please keep in mind the intent for my euthanasia argument is in its application to senior citizens and terminally ill.

When it comes to suicidal thoughts of those at any age, they either go through with it and succeed or do something that raises the flag for help needed.  My thought experiment earlier, now that I have thought on it more, that euthanasia offered to those of all ages seems a bit extreme and unlikely to do much good.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.4.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  T.Fargo @9.4.2    6 years ago

Please clarify.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9    6 years ago
This all feels a little Soylant Green to me

That is what came to mind when I first read about it. There were times in my own life when I felt that I had no real reason to continue living, as there was really no need for me any longer. Only once in my life did I consider ending it myself, but, decided to give it one more try to see if things would change. And they did. 

I discovered I have a knowledge and talent that can help others, and decided not think about what I thought didn't matter anymore. I also discovered that when we think we no longer have value here on earth, the Creator helps us find a way to think beyond ourselves if we are willing to try.

With the longevity of this man who so wished for death, his vast, rich knowledge and experiences over the years would undoubtedly be of great value to others if he had given it a chance. I myself would have loved to have met him and learned from him. 

It is very sad that he felt he no longer had any value here on earth. Even sadder, that obviously, no one really gave him reason to not feel that way. 

I hope that he will finally find the peace that he wanted, as he now moves on to the next steps of his own eternal journey. 

nv-wa-do-hi-ya-dv (Peace)

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
9.5.1  seeder  T.Fargo  replied to  Raven Wing @9.5    6 years ago

He did pass on much of his knowledge in his publications.  His written records will "live" far into time.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9.5.2  Raven Wing  replied to  T.Fargo @9.5.1    6 years ago

That's good. However, I am sure there was much more to him than he shared in his publications. But, at least he left them for others that follow in his foot steps to benefit from.

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
9.5.3  seeder  T.Fargo  replied to  Raven Wing @9.5.2    6 years ago
much more to him than he shared in his publication

Agreed, academia does not necessarily include a person's spirit.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9.5.4  Raven Wing  replied to  T.Fargo @9.5.3    6 years ago

As a Scientist, I am sure that many of his findings are of great value to Science. But, I am sure he had a life outside of science that was also interesting and had value to others. No one's life is of no value, no matter how learned or uneducated they may be. Every life has a purpose, and a value, it simply depends on what people are looking for. I tend to look beyond the obvious, and into the heart of an individual. Often they are actually much different than how they appear in their chosen field. 

I am sure he had much more to share then he did, perhaps he was not encouraged to share outside of his scientific knowledge. Being 104 y/o is a treasure trove of knowledge and experience well beyond what their chosen career level of expertise may be. It is a shame that we will never get to know that side of him. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.5.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing @9.5.4    6 years ago

Well said Raven. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9.5.6  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.5.5    6 years ago

Thank you. Happy

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
11  magnoliaave    6 years ago

This gentleman said it all.....I get up in the morning.......etc.

When the fat lady sings...it is over for me.

No one should suffer while lying in a bed unable to move.  Inhumane.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
11.1  mocowgirl  replied to  magnoliaave @11    6 years ago
No one should suffer while lying in a bed unable to move.  Inhumane.

I completely agree.

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
12  Fireryone    6 years ago

At 104 I can imagine he just wanted to go out on his terms.  I cannot fault him for that.