╌>

North Korea Pushes Back Against Trump Demands

Category:  World News

Via:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  50 comments

North Korea Pushes Back Against Trump Demands

(Bloomberg) -- North Korea abruptly canceled talks with South Korea and warned the U.S. to “think twice” about the fate of President Donald Trump’s planned meeting with Kim Jong Un next month, tamping down hopes of a breakthrough at the historic summit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/north-koreas-warning-to-us-throws-trump-summit-into-doubt/ar-AAxknIk

North Korea told South Korean authorities just after midnight local time that it was suspending “indefinitely” minister-level talks planned for Wednesday, South Korea’s Unification Ministry said. Kim’s regime cited U.S.-South Korean military drills and “improper acts” by authorities in Seoul in canceling the meeting, adding: “There is a limit in showing goodwill and offering opportunity.”

South Korea expressed regret over the cancellation and urged North Korea to resume talks to discuss implementing last month’s peace declaration, Unification Ministry spokesman Baik Tae-hyun told reporters in Seoul. Stocks tied to expectations of a resumption in inter-Korean business fell on Wednesday.

North Korea’s move undercuts some of the optimism after Kim agreed to discuss his nuclear weapons program in a first-of-its-kind summit with Trump on June 12 in Singapore. Tensions have built in recent weeks over the steps needed for the U.S. to ease sanctions against North Korea: The Trump administration wants Kim to give up his weapons before getting anything in return, while Kim favors a more phased approach.

Analysts noted the statement from the state-run Korean Central News Agency wasn’t signed by Kim or the military, and wasn’t likely to lead to a cancellation of the summit. Kim has pledged to publicly dismantle a nuclear test site next week and said he had no need for nuclear weapons if the U.S. ended its “hostile policies.”

“Kim really wants this summit,” said David Kang, director of the Korean Studies Institute at the University of Southern California. “The whole process has been going so smoothly since January, I would be more surprised if there wasn’t a reminder that Kim Jong Un and North Korea have a lot of cards to play.”

Kim Jong Un: ‘Little Rocket Man’ or a Shrewd Operator (Video)

White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said that officials “are aware” of North Korea’s remarks. “The United States will look at what North Korea has said independently, and continue to coordinate closely with our allies,” she said.

North Korea has in recent weeks issued repeated complaints about Trump administration efforts to maintain its “maximum pressure” campaign against the regime in the run up to the meeting. The KCNA statement specifically cited the deployment of B-52 bombers, which are capable of carrying nuclear bombs, and F-22 fighter jets as evidence of threatening behavior by the U.S.

“The U.S. will have to think twice about the fate of the DPRK-U.S. summit now on high agenda before a provocative military racket against the DPRK in league with the south Korean authorities,” KCNA said Wednesday, using an abbreviation for North Korea’s formal name. “We will closely watch the ensuing behavior of the U.S. and the South Korean authorities.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

It is reported tonight that North Korea is saying they will NOT ever denuclearize. 

I guess he's not as afraid of Trump as y'all thought. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago
SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea said it may reconsider holding a summit with the United States if Washington continues to unilaterally insist on North Korea giving up its nuclear program, the North ’s state media said on Wednesday.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  sixpick  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    6 years ago

The attitude of Liberals reminds me of when Margaret Thatcher said the Liberals would rather the poor get poorer if it would keep the rich from getting richer.  The Liberals seem to have the attitude that they would rather North Korea keep Nuclear Weapons if it would keep Trump from accomplishing anything.

lib50
Professor Silent
1.1.2  lib50  replied to  sixpick @1.1.1    6 years ago

No, we just don't believe he has the goods to deliver anything except lies and bullshit.     When he delivers something real, lets revisit this.  Meantime,  the only thing he did this week was make sure Bibi had a good excuse to kill Palestinians by lighting a match to the region. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  sixpick @1.1.1    6 years ago

Nice sentiments, but probably devoid of reality. 

I think Little Rocket Man got an idea in his head when Trump started praising him so much a couple days ago. He got the idea that Trump is desperate for this summit to happen, so Trump can do something no president has been able to do (Trump is obsessed with aggrandizing himself you know) . So Little Rocket Man thinks  " I''ll milk this desperate guy for everything I can".  Now Trump will either have to make concessions to Little Rocket Man just to make the summit happen, or be seen as someone who failed.  How sad. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    6 years ago

If that is a Trump failure, he is joined by just about every President since 1954. Are they all failures, too?

lib50
Professor Silent
1.1.7  lib50  replied to    6 years ago
Removed for context

That's not what we are doing.  NOTHING HAS HAPPENED!   And likely nothing will.  Some believe an incompetent liar, the rest of the world will believe it when they see it.  I wonder why some find it so easy to believe him when he doesn't even understand the basics about what he blathers on about, and lies about just about everything.    

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  lib50 @1.1.2    6 years ago

Kill Palestinians? The ones trying to enter Israel and rioting? How sad they keep falling for their terrorist leaders words.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.9  MrFrost  replied to    6 years ago
If Kim kills a couple million these same people will cheer because trump was wrong.

They will? Or is that what you tell yourself in order to justify your hatred? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.10  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    6 years ago

Trump got ahead of himself. Arrogance. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.10    6 years ago

Can you name the last President who got NK to negotiate, and what the actual results were?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.13  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.12    6 years ago

Trump hasn't gotten any results yet. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.1.15  sixpick  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    6 years ago

You know, people who really cared about other people would be sad if this summit failed.  They would want Trump to succeed in accomplishing what no other President had been able to do, as you said, but I sense a feeling of joy in the possibility of a failure to protect millions of people from someone who has taunted his neighbors and threatened the USA with Nuclear Weapons.  Now that is what is really sad.  That's why I said it reminds me of Margaret Thatcher saying the Liberals would rather the poor become poorer if it could keep the rich from becoming richer.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.16  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  sixpick @1.1.15    6 years ago
You know, people who really cared about other people would be sad if this summit failed.

I am sad the summit failed, but that's like saying I was sad that the guy who spent his very last dollar on a lottery ticket didn't win the million dollars. It was totally predictable but this orange clown bills himself as Mr. Unpredictable. Yeah, we have no clue what he'll do next but we can be damned sure of what the reactions will be if he takes certain actions without thinking. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.13    6 years ago

Not what I asked, but one HELL of a try for you!

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.1.18  sixpick  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.8    6 years ago

Kill Palestinians? The ones trying to enter Israel and rioting? How sad they keep falling for their terrorist leaders words.

I wonder if they even understand what you're talking about?  They'd be the first to draw their guns if a mob attacked them with the intentions of killing them.  And I wouldn't blame them, but these are not Israelis.  These people, who are attacking Israel, are not so much unlike these people who carry around hearts full of hate and nothing can penetrate a heart full of hate.  These people are not attacking because of the embassy.  They hate Jews and nothing will satisfy them except the complete extinction of every living Jew on this earth.

They talk about Klu Klux Klan, White Supremacists or even Fascists.  They don't even realize they have much more in common with all of these groups than they'd care to admit.

lib50
Professor Silent
1.1.19  lib50  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.12    6 years ago
Can you name the last President who got NK to negotiate, and what the actual results were?

No, Trump managed to elevate the little buggar to the status of a world nuclear power all by himself and has now been OUTPLAYED by little rocket man!  Trump didn't even have a plan when he decided he could play this dangerous game, he actually called the dictator HONORABLE.   How does it feel to be played?  Too bad he is dragging the reputation of the country down with him.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.20  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    6 years ago
Now Trump will either have to make concessions to Little Rocket Man just to make the summit happen, or be seen as someone who failed.

See, this is what they have been talking about this morning on the news, China and, NK are thinking 20, 30, 40 years into the future while Trump thinks from news cycle to news cycle. They are playing Mahjong while Trump is playing tidily winks.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.21  Texan1211  replied to  lib50 @1.1.19    6 years ago

WTF are you smoking??

TRUMP elevated him to a world nuclear power status?

WHERE do you GET this bogus, ill-informed information from???????????????

North Korea and weapons of mass destruction - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea_and_weapons_of_mass...

North Korea has a military nuclear weapons program, and also has a significant quantity of chemical and biological weapons. As of 2003 North Korea is no longer a party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons. The country has come under sanctions after conducting a number of nuclear tests, beginning in 2006.
Total tests: 6
First nuclear weapon test: October 9, 2006
Last nuclear test: September 3, 2017
Current strategic arsenal: 13–60 weapons

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.1.22  Spikegary  replied to  lib50 @1.1.19    6 years ago

Well, that's todays 'Stupidest Comment on The Internet'.  Anyone want to guess who had nuclear weapons before President Trump became president?

Bueller?  Bueller?

Come on, you can say it.  We know you know the answer.....come on......

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.23  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.10    6 years ago
Trump got ahead of himself. Arrogance.

What's even funnier is how far the NT right wingers got ahead of themselves over this.  It was entirely predictable that Trump's bluster about bringing Kim to his knees would have a backfire effect on any negotiations between the two.  Trump can't stop the stupid shit that continually flows from his head, no matter how badly it damages him.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.1.24  Spikegary  replied to    6 years ago

BF, if you are going there, please delete comments 7.1 and 7.1.3 from: 

We shuoldn't be treating some special people differently than all the rest here.

lib50
Professor Silent
1.1.25  lib50  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.21    6 years ago

Jesuschrist, you aren't getting this at all.   NK was on the fringe, wanting nothing more than to sit at the table with the world powers.  Trump basically gave him that right off the mark,   then he started puffing about how great he was and deserved the Nobel Prize, talking as if it was a done deal.    This BEFORE ANY NEGOTIATIONS HAD BEEN STARTED.   The usual steps start with that before the leaders get in the mix.  I have a hard time with people who are very literal and can't see past the first read.  Go deeper.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.26  Texan1211  replied to  lib50 @1.1.25    6 years ago

And I have problems with people who do absolutely nothing but bitch about Trump and EVERYTHING he has done and will do in the future. I also have a problem with people who say stuff like this and then backpeddle as fast as they can.

1.1.19 lib50 replied to Texan1211 @1.1.12 11 hours ago
No, Trump managed to elevate the little buggar to the status of a world nuclear power all by himself and has now been OUTPLAYED by little rocket man!

As has been pointed out to you, and is common knowledge, Trump didn't have one damn thing to do worth "elevating the little buggar to the status of a world nuclear power all by himself."

lib50
Professor Silent
1.1.27  lib50  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.26    6 years ago

Conservatives really have NO right to bitch about others after what they put everybody through under Obama.  Suck it up,  this isn't nearly as bad as what that lot gave out. 

And STILL you manage to miss the point and answer to something I'm not saying.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.28  Texan1211  replied to  lib50 @1.1.27    6 years ago

No, YOU "suck it up" buttercup.

You don't get to decide what MY rights are.

You claimed Trump made NK a world nuclear power, got called on that awful bullshit, and now are mad because of it.

Suck it up!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.29  Tessylo  replied to  lib50 @1.1.27    6 years ago
'And STILL you manage to miss the point and answer to something I'm not saying.'

That's his usual MO

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.30  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.29    6 years ago

You got something to say about me, say it TO me. Don't be pussyfooting around--be a real woman and tell ME.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.31  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.30    6 years ago
No Value {SP}
Going forward these will be written up as taunting

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.32  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.31    6 years ago

No Value {SP}

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.33  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.31    6 years ago

No value {SP}

Going forward these will be written up as taunting

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago
It is reported tonight that North Korea is saying they will NOT ever denuclearize.

Kimmy Poo is trying to save some face with his hardliners...this is simply for internal infernal consumption. Little Fat Ass is bluffing and he has no ace to play....the genie is out of the bottle....the cat is out of the bag....it's passed the point of no return. They were well aware of the upcoming planned exercises. This is just a blip in the sausage/agreement making.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.4  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

I guess they don't want to deal with an impotent psycho who is known to break promises.  Who would trust this turd?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @1.4    6 years ago

You're right...little Rocket Man is just like that.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.4.2  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @1.4.1    6 years ago

You know I was referring to the shitstain in Chief - Donald Rump.  

JBB
Professor Principal
1.4.3  JBB  replied to  Tessylo @1.4    6 years ago
an impotent psycho who is known to break promises.

The orangutan tinged King of Vulgaria would not know the truth if it walked up to him and slapped his face...

My ass has about as much chance of winning the Nobel Peace Prize as Trump but the righties are celebrating. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.4.4  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1.4.3    6 years ago

He will and we are!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.4.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @1.4.2    6 years ago

Why would anyone trust either one of these loons?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.4.6  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4.5    6 years ago

I don't trust Kim Jong Un either.  I don't trust either of them as far as I could throw them and there's no way I could even budge the donald's fat ass.  

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.5  Spikegary  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

Links please.

user image
Freshman Silent
1.6    replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

I guess this excites you to no end, John. In your mind, there's nothing better than North Korea having nukes to unleash on the United States and her allies. You think that's better than having Trump succeed in his efforts to stop NK from having nukes. The only thing that can top that is Trump's impeachment, right?

It takes a sorry-ass American to root for North Korea over the United States.       

Pedro
Professor Participates
2  Pedro    6 years ago
North Korea abruptly canceled talks with South Korea and warned the U.S. to “think twice” about the fate of President Donald Trump’s planned meeting with Kim Jong Un next month, tamping down hopes of a breakthrough at the historic summit.

A gentleman always pulls out.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4  Raven Wing    6 years ago

I think this was a given, at least for those who don't put their trust in NK regime, or China. (Sweeping generalizations removed) Telo

Just my own 2 cents worth.