╌>

Ireland abortion referendum: Country votes in landmark ballot

Category:  World News

Via:  gordy327  •  6 years ago  •  18 comments

Ireland abortion referendum: Country votes in landmark ballot

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

From MSN:

Voters in Ireland are casting their ballots in a landmark referendum to decide whether to remove a constitutional amendment that bans abortion in almost all circumstances.
Polling stations across 40 constituencies in the republic opened at 7 a.m. local time (2 a.m. ET). An electorate of around 3.2 million are eligible to cast their ballots, including thousands of Irish people living overseas who have flown home to vote. If the Yes campaign wins, Irish lawmakers are expected to enact legislation allowing for terminations in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy -- and later in cases where there is a risk to the mother's life or the fetus is not expected to survive.

A No vote would keep Ireland's abortion laws -- some of the strictest in the developed world -- in place.
The Eighth Amendment, which was added into the constitution following a referendum in 1983, places the rights of the fetus and the rights of its mother on equal footing, effectively banning abortion barring a "real and substantial risk" to the mother's life. As with any proposed change to Ireland's constitution, the question has to be put to a referendum.

Abortion-rights activists -- advocating a Yes vote on Friday -- have long argued that the Eighth Amendment punishes women and doesn't stop abortions, which are exported, mostly to the UK, instead.
Their longstanding campaign to repeal the Eighth, as it is commonly known, has seen some change over the past three decades.  In 1992, the X Case made it legal for Irish women to travel abroad for abortions, adding the threat of suicide as grounds for abortion. In 2013, Savita Halappanavar died of sepsis after being denied a termination of a miscarrying fetus in a Galway hospital, prompting the government to pass a bill allowing abortions when a woman's life is in danger. And in June 2016, the UN's Human Rights Council ruled that the country's abortion regime subjected Amanda Mellet, a dual Irish-American national, to "cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment," and called on the Irish government to reform its laws.

Throughout the years, Ireland's abortion-rights campaigners have mobilized en masse, with demonstrations that have brought Dublin to a halt and found support across the globe.
Anti-abortion activists will be voting No, arguing that the Eighth has saved thousands of lives and encouraged compassionate alternatives to abortion, such as perinatal hospice care when the baby is not expected to survive or adoption for babies born to women in challenging circumstances. The No campaign has also found support from anti-abortion groups worldwide, including some American activists who have traveled to speak at rallies.

Polls will close at 5 p.m. ET (10 p.m. local) on Friday. Counting of ballots will get underway on Saturday, with a result expected by mid-afternoon.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Gordy327    6 years ago

Hopefully Irish voters will do the right thing and vote yes to loosen some of Ireland's draconian abortion laws. Abortion laws like Ireland's do nothing but make women second class citizens and slaves to an embryo/fetus.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @1    6 years ago

I hope they do the right thing, too.

The Catholic Church has their fingers in this "fetus before the mother" bullshit. It makes no sense to sacrifice a woman's life over a fetus when the probability of the fetus surviving after the mother dies is pretty slim.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    6 years ago
The Catholic Church has their fingers in this "fetus before the mother" bullshit.

Indeed.

It makes no sense to sacrifice a woman's life over a fetus when the probability of the fetus surviving after the mother dies is pretty slim.

It's not even that much. The idea that a woman has no say and is forced to surrender choice and autonomy once she's pregnant is both cruel and absurd! And yes, the church does play a big role in that, especially in Ireland.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
1.2  luther28  replied to  Gordy327 @1    6 years ago

This is one of the holdovers from when the Catholic Church held great sway in Ireland, not so much any longer. With the influx of the younger folks I believe this will pass.

But in the end it is for the Irish to figure out.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.1  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  luther28 @1.2    6 years ago
This is one of the holdovers from when the Catholic Church held great sway in Ireland, not so much any longer.

I think they still have significant pull. But as you say, not as much as they used to. It's nice to see people overcoming the doctrine (or indoctrination) of superstition.

With the influx of the younger folks I believe this will pass.

I just read that it did pass.

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2  Fireryone    6 years ago

I'm hoping this passes.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  Fireryone @2    6 years ago
I'm hoping this passes.

As am I. Considering that this proposal is up for consideration and vote is progress I suppose. Now we'll see if it actually passes. 

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.1  Fireryone  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1    6 years ago

It looks like it is going to pass with no problem.  Hooray for Ireland!

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
2.1.2  Phoenyx13  replied to  Fireryone @2.1.1    6 years ago
It looks like it is going to pass with no problem.  Hooray for Ireland!

Good for Ireland !! maybe some people in this country will get a clue as well ?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.1.3  Skrekk  replied to  Fireryone @2.1.1    6 years ago

Two exit polls indicate an overwhelming victory for reproductive rights, 69-31%.     That's even higher than the percentage which rejected superstition and homophobia with the vote for marriage equality (62-38%).

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.4  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  Skrekk @2.1.3    6 years ago

It looks as if Ireland is catching up to the 21st century.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.1.5  Skrekk  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.4    6 years ago

The final tally was 66.4% to 33.6%, just a bit lower than the exit polls indicated.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.6  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  Skrekk @2.1.5    6 years ago
The final tally was 66.4% to 33.6%, just a bit lower than the exit polls indicated.

It's still a win. Although, I thought it would be more evenly split down the middle. Still, it's good to see.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.1.7  Skrekk  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.6    6 years ago

Not just a win, a landslide!   It's a real rejection of theocracy and Catholic extremism - hopefully that translates into momentum on the other secular reform issues like the school system.

Somehow I thought all the theocratic aspects of their constitution were going to be fixed all at once rather than piecemeal, but I guess this makes better sense anyway since it increases the likelihood of a yes vote.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.8  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  Skrekk @2.1.7    6 years ago
Not just a win, a landslide!

Indeed. 

It's a real rejection of theocracy and Catholic extremism

Which shows promise for Ireland.

- hopefully that translates into momentum on the other secular reform issues like the school system.

Hopefully.

Somehow I thought all the theocratic aspects of their constitution were going to be fixed all at once rather than piecemeal, but I guess this makes better sense anyway since it increases the likelihood of a yes vote.

Every little bit helps. Baby steps you know. winking

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.1.9  Skrekk  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.8    6 years ago

Right now Theresa May opposes allowing a similar referendum on reproductive rights in northern Ireland, but there might be some movement on the issue:

Theresa May was facing growing demands to allow a referendum on relaxing the abortion laws in Northern Ireland on Sunday after signalling that she will not risk alienating her DUP allies by letting MPs settle the matter with a parliamentary vote.

Conservative MPs and the Royal College of Midwives were among those calling for a referendum, which would give voters in Northern Ireland the chance to follow the example set by the Republic of Ireland after it backed abortion liberalisation by a surprise landslide of two to one.

Around 160 MPs have backed a letter, championed by the Labour MP Stella Creasy, saying the government should legislate to relax the abortion rules in Northern Ireland, which will now be the only place in Britain and Ireland where abortion is in most circumstances illegal. Creasy wants to force a vote by tabling an amendment to the forthcoming domestic violence bill.

Downing Street’s initial response was to reject the idea of giving MPs a vote, on the grounds that abortion is a devolved matter and one that should be decided by the power-sharing executive and the Northern Ireland assembly. A source said that Theresa May’s focus was on getting the executive, which has been suspended for more than a year, “back up and running”.

But there were reports on Sunday of opposition even within the cabinet, with women and equalities minister Penny Mordaunt saying on Twitter that the hope for change in Northern Ireland “must be met” amid calls for the region to have a referendum – although she did not specify how.

I know there's a similar effort on marriage equality for the north but I think just as a vote in the UK Parliament not as a referendum.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3  Split Personality    6 years ago

Good for Erin !!!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Gordy327    6 years ago

An update on the issue: Ireland voters have voted to repeal the country's 8th Constitutional Amendment, thereby ending the ban on abortion. Good for them. Women now have some rights and autonomy over their own bodies and choices.