╌>

What having a dog does to your brain and body

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  6 years ago  •  99 comments

What having a dog does to your brain and body

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

cute-puppies.jpg
(Photo: HC at Auburn University )

Your pets have a larger effect on your body and brain than you might think. They have the ability to increase levels of oxytocin in the brain, bringing you a state of calm. Following is a transcript of the video.

Narrator:  Puppies, they're the furry friends we take for granted. But, how does having one affect us?

Meg Olmert:  My name is Meg Olmert and I'm the author of "Made For Each Other: the biology of the human-animal bond." Our journey with dogs began about 45,000 years ago according to the latest archeological evidence. It preceded many hundreds of thousands of years with a more casual, and perhaps distant, pragmatic relationship with wolves as well.

But about 45,000 years ago we start to see the bones change and indications that A, dogs are certainly living with us. And that living with us appears to have had certain effects on their biology and their physiology. That is what enabled them to become our best friends.

Narrator:  How does this relationship work? (cont'd)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

I think most people know the effects having a dog has on people-- but here's some of the science behind it.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

Can't you just say that dogs make our brains wobbly?

user image
Freshman Silent
2.1    replied to  Bob Nelson @2    6 years ago

And not to forget that the so called " Monkey Virus " and other associated ailments :-)

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    6 years ago

having dogs is good for you

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

Narrator: What happens to your body when you're with your dog?

Olmert: Your heart rate comes down, your blood pressure comes down, your heart rate variability which is the ability of the heart to duck and dive and respond to stress improves. You release oxytocin, the opioids, adrenaline, and serotonin. So, all of these great reward chemicals and anti-stress chemicals can be released in both you and the pet.

I live with a pack of Full grown AKC Chow Chows having the full run of my home and yard. I have puppies when they make them. I love it.

I see the calming effect the article talks about going both ways as well.

Although from time to time these wonderful babies cause my heart rate to sore. 

For example ; Recently I had agreed to do a favor for a friend who was going in the hospital by dropping of his rent check that needed to be dropped off about the same time he was to be admitted.

You guessed it, my dogs got ahold of his check and ate it. about 2:30 AM I discovered a pile of chewed up paper in the middle of my front room. Instantly, I looked over to where I kept my important papers and sure enough the top envolope was gone... My friend's rent money order.

Evidently it had his scent on it and they figured it wasnt mine, it was in their territory, so, it must be theirs. Because I have stuff there everyday and they have never messed with my paperwork. Ever, in years.

WOW I was in shock. This guy was being admitted to the hospital in just a few hours and western union didn't even open till after he was supposed to be admitted. And all I was looking at was a plie of shards of what was his rent check.   Yeah it works both ways !!  

For That sure as Hell was NOT a calming moment with my babies !!!

lol

kk 006.JPG

kk 007.JPG

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

I love my all my Chow Chow monsters babies !!

Untitled3.jpg

Sophomore Guide
4.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4    6 years ago

PS: I'm Not sure which helps relax the other more, me relaxing my dogs or them helping me to relax. I think it kind of balances out though we help each other when needed. At least that's how it seems to work here. 

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1.1    replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1    6 years ago

E.A   Could it be the " Placebo " effect?

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  @4.1.1    6 years ago
Could it be the " Placebo " effect?

Maybe a better word might be . . ."symbiosis"...???

Sophomore Guide
4.1.3  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  @4.1.1    6 years ago
Could it be the " Placebo " effect?

I look at it as a contagious effect. When they get all agitated I talk in a very calm voice and they respond accordingly. I have one dog in particular that when I'm upset or sick she picks up on it and comes up and gives me this special look that  says "I'm here for ya."  If I even sneeze she pays attention. 

She know who controls and has the goodies !!! LOL 

Chow loyalty .....BS they just protect where their food comes from. lol

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1.4    replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.3    6 years ago

E.A   LOL 

BINGO  

Yes Basic Survival, did I read somewhere where a pack ate their " owner "?

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1.5    replied to  Krishna @4.1.2    6 years ago

E.A     Hmmm...  Parasitic Symbiosis,  yes that might fit at and for a times and then " One becomes Tucker "

Sophomore Guide
4.1.6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  @4.1.4    6 years ago
Yes Basic Survival, did I read somewhere where a pack ate their " owner "?

LOL MY pack has their instructions. "IF found dead, they are to,"

Eat the bag of dog food that I always leave on the floor for just this reason first, then if you must, start at my fingers and toes. 

lol, I'm sure they listened.... 

Time will tell.

lol

Sick as it is, I'd rather they did eat me rather than die of starvation, I doubt I'd know. 

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1.7    replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.6    6 years ago

lol  sure sure, just make sure you have the Video Cameras turned on just for, ?

"  scientific research and further human development " : :-)

Sophomore Guide
4.1.8  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  @4.1.5    6 years ago
Parasitic Symbiosis,  yes that might fit at and for a times and then " One becomes Tucker "

LOL ...  Certainly NOT MY intent.

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1.9    replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.8    6 years ago
Certainly NOT MY intent.

Sure sure ...

I am sure those Plane travellers that crashed  " did NOT have that Intent " :-)

Sophomore Guide
4.1.10  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  @4.1.9    6 years ago
I am sure those Plane travellers that crashed  " did NOT have that Intent "

True I guess they could have stayed home and I could get rid of my dogs. for now I think I'll keep chancing it. 

But thanks for your deep concern...

lol

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1.11    replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.10    6 years ago
for now

E.A " For NOW... " makes for a good ending....

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1.12    replied to  @4.1.11    6 years ago

Steve got any of this??

: Thanks for Dropping in just wanted to show that this place exists .."  That Line was posted and ready in the Public Chat entry
Thanks for a " humane chat "

Sophomore Guide
4.1.13  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  @4.1.12    6 years ago
Steve got any of this??

Yes I saw it just as I was logging off for a break 

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1.14    replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.13    6 years ago

Better Late... then Never!!

Sophomore Guide
4.1.15  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  @4.1.14    6 years ago
Better Late... then Never!!

I happened to see the little red reply button on the left side of the screen or I would have missed this. 

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1.16    replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.15    6 years ago

ok.. now that you know that the Chat room is there, you can  come and bring a friend.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
4.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4    6 years ago

They are too adogable!

Sophomore Guide
4.2.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.2    6 years ago

They are too adogable!

Thank you Perrie, I love my babies, Here are a few more picts:

1.JPG  

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     6 years ago

These are my girls. Wiki Warrior Wonder Wiener and Annie. 

Sadly Annie walked on a month ago after a long battle with cancer. I sure do miss her and so does Wiki.

You can't have a better friend than a dog.

IMG_0447 1.JPG

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Kavika @5    6 years ago
You can't have a better friend than a dog.

So true! 

Sophomore Guide
5.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika @5    6 years ago
I sure do miss her and so does Wiki.

I'll bet. I remember that time and talking about it on here. I'm sorry for your lose. I have lost a few very treasured canine friends as well. It's tough enough to deal with the lose but understand your best friends lso is also his or her best friends lose as well sure adds to the grief. 

Many of the puppies I rehome go to others who have lost their beloved baby as well. almost every puppy I rehome goes to replace a chow chow someone has lost. 

Myself I feel so fortunate to have been able to have a second chance at a beloved chow that is very close in many ways to a wonderful one I lost years ago. 

Don't give up another baby may just be waiting on you and Wiki to arrive.

Thankfully you and Wiki still have each other to remember Annie together. 

(Smile)

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Kavika   replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @5.2    6 years ago

Thanks Steve, I've had dogs all my life and can't imagine not having one. 

Perhaps in a while we might just rescue a mini doxie for Wiki.

Sophomore Guide
5.2.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika @5.2.1    6 years ago
Perhaps in a while we might just rescue a mini doxie for Wiki

Perhaps in a while Wiki wil be ready ! I believe dogs are happier and live longer with a dog friend to share their life with. Best of luck for you both, I know it's not easy. But from my experience it does get just a little easier with time, especially if and when there is a new doggy family member to welcome into the home.

I dont grief too long myself before looking for a new puppy friend, Grieving for a lost dog friend doesn't me a lot of good in the long run anyway. I'm better off starting to care for a new one, and so is the new dog. Cause my doggies all get lots of lovin !!! LOL 

So, Again, Best of luck for you both.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
5.2.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @5.2.1    6 years ago
Perhaps in a while we might just rescue a mini doxie for Wiki.

I think that is a good idea.

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
5.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @5    6 years ago
I sure do miss her and so does Wiki

How is Wiki doing since Annie walked on? I am sure she was grieving for a while, they were so very close to each other. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.3.1  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @5.3    6 years ago

She is still a bit lost RW...Keep looking for Annie from time to time...It will take time for her to come to the realization that Annie won't be coming back.

epistte
Junior Guide
6  epistte    6 years ago

Cats rule and dogs drool.

Signed, the NT cat contingent.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1  Kavika   replied to  epistte @6    6 years ago

I wrote a story some time back where Wiki saved a kitten around a week old...

So she is a kitties bestist friend.

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.1  epistte  replied to  Kavika @6.1    6 years ago
So she is a kitties bestist friend.

One of my regular strays has a tiny black kitten. It's about 3-4 weeks old.   I gave it a box to sleep it with an old washcloth for a bed. As soon as the kitten is weaned the mother cat gets a trip to the vet to get fixed.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
6.1.2  Skrekk  replied to  epistte @6.1.1    6 years ago

Cats are evil.   My last one had anal leakage and got eaten by an owl.

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.3  epistte  replied to  Skrekk @6.1.2    6 years ago

I am the cat whisperer because I seem to speak their language.   I have other peoples cats and a few strays hang out at my house because I am very generous with catnip.

They can be jerks but they are cute.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
6.1.4  Skrekk  replied to  epistte @6.1.3    6 years ago

I consider it one of my greatest accomplishments that I taught my current wolf hybrid not to eat the kitten.   It took several weeks to get to that point.

On the other hand I waited to get a kitten until the white wolf was gone because he failed all the kitty tests, big time.   I knew there was no way I could train him not to go after cats without being under direct voice control at all times.    I did teach both dogs not to chase deer or horses when I was out running with them, despite both dogs having a very high level of interest in becoming One with the bigger animals.

Sophomore Guide
6.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  epistte @6    6 years ago
Cats rule and dogs drool.

I'm a cat lover as well. Unfortunately ...  so are my 5 Chow Chows. 

lol

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
6.2.1  Explorerdog  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.2    6 years ago

I worked telephone repair for years and made friends with virtually every animal I encountered hundreds and hundreds, the only dogs I would not trust were chows and akita's, they would act friendly until they could position themselves between you and the exit then become aggressive, it is something breed specific. The dogs people think are really scary like Rottweiler's and Dobermans let you know where they stand and are predictable. Deal with them on their terms and they become your best buddy.

Sophomore Guide
6.2.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Explorerdog @6.2.1    6 years ago
I would not trust were chows and akita's, they would act friendly until they could position themselves between you and the exit then become aggressive

LOL No one's been silly enough with my 5 big chows to let themselves get in that position and I doubt they ever will. I have a 6ft concrete fence around my property.  

NO ONE is allowed in my yard with my dogs able to get to them, IF anyone is stupid enough to climb that fence my dogs likely wont allow them to go anywhere except back over the wall the same way they came in.

Personally IF these were not MY dogs I wouldn't trust em either. If they so desired they could quickly kill a human because of what they are, big strong healthy animals with lots of teeth and claws. 

I do stay with full blood AKC registered Chow Chows. all the horror stories I have ever heard were not full blooded chows it was always a mix of something with chows. 

However I have had and raised chow chows for appx 40 years now and I have never had one of my babies bite anyone. Ever.  

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
6.2.3  Explorerdog  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.2.2    6 years ago

I worked in a city and everyone had a fenced yard, I needed access to complete repairs so making dog friends was vital, I did get bit once but didn't even know there was a dog in the yard and was talking to the homeowner when it struck me from behind. I trust dogs way more than people, chows I just trust differently!

Sophomore Guide
6.2.4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Explorerdog @6.2.1    6 years ago
the only dogs I would not trust were chows and akita's, they would act friendly

LOL My chows dont act friendly, they "act" like they want to tear ya a new one, but only for a few minutes then they want petted by the new people. 

These dogs "size" us humans up pretty darn quick. One way or another. They instinctive seem to know the people whom they can trust and the ones they don't.

They also seem to be correct most of the time on it.

Any decent person would be welcomed into my home by my monsters fairly quickly and are. however shady strangers better beware. Forever. 

Sophomore Guide
6.2.5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Explorerdog @6.2.3    6 years ago
chows I just trust differently!

You are not wrong there. Chows are different. If a chow chow does not know and trust you.. do not trust it. Instead give it time.

Because once it does trust you, you're golden. 

My chows normally take a while to start to trust new people (5 to 10 minutes) and then their trust grows in stages like it does with me. 

However i like I just said, "Once trusted, your golden." 

I've had at least one chow chow in my home most of my adult life without incident 40 + years now.  But I'm selective on the quality I allow in from the start and I pay for that quality. (each time) and I'm aware of the dangers of what I possess. Not unlike a responsible gun owner should be. 

user image
Freshman Silent
6.2.6    replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.2.5    6 years ago
Not unlike a responsible gun owner should be.

E.A Now  you done it :-) Now all the " Bleeding Hearts " will come after you " Bone Blood and Flesh " you have equated Dogs to GUNS,,

Tch cth tch!! 

Cloud With Lightning and Rain on Samsung Experience 9.1Cloud With Lightning and Rain on Samsung Experience 9.1Cloud With Lightning and Rain on Samsung Experience 9.1Cloud With Lightning and Rain on Samsung Experience 9.1

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
6.2.7  arkpdx  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.2.4    6 years ago

I never trust anyone my dogs do not like. That is especially true of my Basset. Generally he likes everyone but if he doesn't that person is not trust worthy 

Sophomore Guide
6.2.8  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  @6.2.6    6 years ago

LOL ... Thanks, I never thought of that. I do think responsibly about these animals in the same way I would hope any responsible person would with anything they possess that has any chance of doing harm to anyone. 

So, Maybe that will help ? ...lol

Sophomore Guide
6.2.9  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  arkpdx @6.2.7    6 years ago
I never trust anyone my dogs do not like

I agree !! I may have to deal with that person But I'm already alerted to especially "watch em."

lol

user image
Freshman Silent
6.2.10    replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.2.8    6 years ago
Maybe that will help ?

E.A  Maybe  I hope you have " High Faith to go with that High Hope " 

And  do not forget the Video Cameras, they might show the Hordes coming to get YOU!

Place of Worship on LG G5

Sophomore Guide
6.2.11  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.2.9    6 years ago

to bad they can't do the same for us online. lol

Sophomore Guide
6.2.12  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  @6.2.10    6 years ago
E.A  Maybe  I hope you have " High Faith to go with that High Hope "

LOL ... It really doesn't matter I'd think a responsible gun owner would appreciate the acknowledgement of them being a responsible example of protecting the public. If not, well that's not really my problem anyway.

user image
Freshman Silent
6.2.13    replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.2.11    6 years ago

E.A  Ha … More wishful thinking!!!  

You not heard of " Exploding Hard Drives, they get REAL HARD  as they explode :-)

Or Fire Breathing Mother Boards, that be the " Mother of ALL fires " :-)

Sophomore Guide
6.2.14  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  @6.2.13    6 years ago
Or Fire Breathing Mother Boards, that be the " Mother of ALL fires "

LOL.. Frankly, I'm more concerned about being eaten by my monsters at home. 

user image
Freshman Silent
6.2.15    replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.2.14    6 years ago
I'm more concerned about being eaten by my monsters at home.

E.A  Ahh there we go we have " Rounded the Circle " and we are back to " Bare Facts "   and what " Bones are to Dogs "

and not to forget " The Circle of Life " nice exchange  many thanks!

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
6.2.16  Skrekk  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.2.4    6 years ago
My chows dont act friendly, they "act" like they want to tear ya a new one, but only for a few minutes then they want petted by the new people.

A friend of mine had a neighbor feed and potty his female chow for a few days while he was out of town.    Except the dog wouldn't let the neighbor in the house and wouldn't come outside.....and the dog held it until the owner got home.    No accidents in the house at all.    I know I couldn't do that.

Sophomore Guide
6.2.17  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  @6.2.15    6 years ago
The Circle of Life " nice exchange  many thanks!

You as well the lighthearted stuff makes coming here more enjoyable  so Thank you as well. 

I'm off here for a while, have fun

Sophomore Guide
6.2.18  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Skrekk @6.2.16    6 years ago
A friend of mine had a neighbor feed and potty his female chow for a few days while he was out of town.

Living with a pack of Chows, I dont "go out of town." However if I did I probably would have the same problem. My dogs would be very wary of anyone in their home without me being present. 

user image
Freshman Silent
6.2.19    replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.2.18    6 years ago
My dogs would be very wary of anyone

E.A

Kai Hansen with terrier Pippa (ABC News: Nadia Daly)

Crocodile eats beloved terrier that had spent a decade taunting it

user image
Freshman Silent
6.2.20    replied to  @6.2.19    6 years ago

A pet crocodile 'Casey' lives on Goat Island, about 1.5 hours from Darwin.

Photo: Casey the crocodile had been taunted by Pippa for a decade. (ABC News: Nadia Daly)

Some on social media lashed out at Mr Hansen, saying he was to blame for encouraging the little dog to run up to the reptile.
But he said it was simply part of the dog's nature, comparing it to the dog he had as a child that would not stop chasing after cars.

Sophomore Guide
6.2.21  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  @6.2.20    6 years ago

I photoshopped this picture and used it on craigslist when advertising a litter of my puppies once. 

The caption I used said,

"Chow Chow puppies going fast"

13615177_296445767374125_5136045177807621725_n.jpg

user image
Freshman Silent
6.2.22    replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.2.21    6 years ago

Yes a " Dogs Day " they can be a Hero till .....  SPLAT!!!    they are no more but a  ____ on the Bull/Cows .… Or Crocodiles .. Gizzards  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
6.2.23  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.2    6 years ago

Make sure you keep them away from my Wally... He's the bestest. Screen Shot 20180606 at 11.29.56 PM.png

Sophomore Guide
6.2.24  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.2.23    6 years ago
Make sure you keep them away from my Wally... He's the bestest.

Fortunately due to the fact I possess a tad of common since and use realistic caution I don't have a kitty cat at this time.   I've had a number of precious feline babies before though when I had a single chow, now with 5 of them I dont dare.

OMG that train of monsters blasing thru my home chasing a poor lone kitty cat wrecking my house and ending O so poorly for Mr pus-n-boots deffently keeps me from having and enjoying another kitty cat at this time.  

Otherwise I can even picture my cat.

Another huge declawed grey male like the one I loved so much years ago.

Too bad my other babies just wouldn't accept it for anything except prey at this stage. They're too far past being puppies and there is too many of them.   

Like I need another damn pet anyway...lol 

When I have more that one litter at a time now I have upto 16 chows here at once as it is. (The puppies dont have the run of everything though) 

Maybe I can sneak a kitty into a litter...lol 

not.

Yep Kitty cats are great too !! 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
7  Skrekk    6 years ago

Dubya after a summer shave:

DSCN0407.JPG

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1  Tessylo  replied to  Skrekk @7    6 years ago

Cutie!

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
7.1.1  Skrekk  replied to  Tessylo @7.1    6 years ago

That was 4 years ago but he still looks and acts the same today at the age of 12.   No graying, no slowing down yet.

Right now his coat looks much worse.   Here's the two dogs:

IMG_0362_rsz.jpg

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Skrekk @7.1.1    6 years ago

Yeah I think Thor was always a 'puppy'.  I don't think he ever slowed down.  

Sophomore Guide
7.1.3  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Skrekk @7.1.1    6 years ago

Great shot !

GRrrrr !!! LOL 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
7.1.4  Skrekk  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @7.1.3    6 years ago

That had to be the laziest play fight I've ever seen.

By the way the white dog is what my avatar grew up to be, over 6' long and tall enough to put his head down on the kitchen table.   At least 4" taller and 1' longer than the other dog but they were the same weight, 95-100 lbs in the winter.

Sophomore Guide
7.1.5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Skrekk @7.1.4    6 years ago
That had to be the laziest play fight I've ever seen.

LOL Mine do that on a regular bases I love watching them when they play like that.

I've even seen two of my chows both up on their hind legs basicly pushing against each other like large wild animals do sometimes. Testing strength.

I would have loved to have gotten a picture of that, I only saw them do that one time, IT was so cool and unusual to watch ! I was almost spell bound. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
7.1.6  Skrekk  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @7.1.5    6 years ago
I've even seen two of my chows both up on their hind legs basicly pushing against each other like large wild animals do sometimes. Testing strength.

I've only seen that once with my two guys and it was 10 minutes straight of brutal NFL chest bumps.   I'd never seen dogs do that before, so it must just be a dumb thing that all guys do.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who's seen that!

Sophomore Guide
7.1.7  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Skrekk @7.1.6    6 years ago
it must just be a dumb thing that all guys do.

I'm not really sure now which of my two did that, but considering I only have one male I know it wasnt two males that I saw doing it. In fact I believe it was my two females that are very much the same size and only about a year apart in age. (3 and 4 year olds)

I sure wish I'd gotten a picture of them !! It was a once in a lifetime sight for me so far at least and it was Awesome to watch !!  It did only last for maybe 4 or 5 minutes though and that was the only time I've ever seen them play fight like that. 

Unfortunately, I'd love to see em do it again and maybe I could get some pictures or a video of them play fighting like that. I'd put it on youtube even maybe. very unusual and cool .. LOL 

Sophomore Guide
7.1.8  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Skrekk @7.1.4    6 years ago
the white dog is what my avatar grew up to be

I suspected as much... Beautiful !!!  I voted for him for avitar best pic even.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
7.1.9  Skrekk  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @7.1.7    6 years ago
I sure wish I'd gotten a picture of them !!

Same here - I wish I had taken a video but they would have stopped if I had gone inside to get a camera.    No one else believes me when I tell that story.

They had already figured out which dog was dominant in which circumstances so I'm not sure what that was all about.

Sophomore Guide
7.1.10  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Skrekk @7.1.9    6 years ago
but they would have stopped if I had gone inside to get a camera.

Yes sir, that's the same reason I miss so many "photo"moments with my babies as well. As soon as I get up, it gets their attention and the shows over.

I've learned to just sit there quietly and enjoy the show. I've even laughed so hard it stopped "the show" so now I even have even learned to be quiet. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     6 years ago

Oh for goodness sake people...Yaw yaw, Chows and others are bad asses. Yada yada. 

Oh BTW, here is a photo of Wiki running a rhino off our property...

main-rhino-dog.jpg

When she isn't running off rhino's, lion's and the like she is rounding up the cattle on the ranch..

Sophomore Guide
8.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika @8    6 years ago

Chows and others are bad asses. Yada yada. 

Yep hands down... Wiki Wins !!! 

That is awesome !!!    Run you poor little o rhino run. !! 

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Kavika   replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @8.1    6 years ago

LOLOLOL, you don't even want to know about the time she went nose to nose with a lion and the lion backed down....That is a very true story. 

Sophomore Guide
8.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika @8.1.1    6 years ago
you don't even want to know about the time she went nose to nose with a lion and the lion backed down...

Its not something I'd want to see that's for sure I'd be scared to death the whole time for the dog, any dog in that situation. 

It's wonderful and somewhat surprising shes still is Wiki the wonder dog at all. 

One tuff little baby for damn sure !!

Sophomore Guide
8.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika @8    6 years ago

That picture of Wiki and the Rhino needs to be published somewhere !!!  

Immortalized !!!

lol

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.2.1  Kavika   replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @8.2    6 years ago

OK, so here is Wiki nose to nose with a full grown male lion...You can see who is backing down..

Screen-Shot-2017-03-20-at-9.23.19-AM.png

Beside being a doxie she is also a Rez Dog. If your not familiar with Rez Dogs, they make a junk yard dog look like a wuss.

In fact it's been said that when it's 105 degree's out a Rez Dog will walk into a sweet lodge, hang out for an hour or so and they come out into the 105 degree heat and tell you now refreshing it is...

I do not speak with fork tongue.

user image
Freshman Silent
8.2.2    replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @8.2    6 years ago

E.A it is a great education as to how strong the " Fight or Flight " instinct is,  if it is NOT  for eating, and it is chasing RUN!!!!

Sophomore Guide
8.2.3  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika @8.2.1    6 years ago
Wiki nose to nose with a full grown male lion

Utterly amazing !!  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.2.4  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Kavika @8.2.1    6 years ago

Wiki has the heart of a Wolverine.

Sophomore Guide
8.2.5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika @8.2.1    6 years ago

Those two staring eye to eye like that is amazing.

Respect !  

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.2.6  Kavika   replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @8.2.4    6 years ago

You remember the story...LOL

Miji Manidoo...Devil Dog

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.2.7  Kavika   replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @8.2.5    6 years ago

HA, remember her story, Miji Manidoo the Devil Dog.

Sophomore Guide
8.2.8  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika @8.2.7    6 years ago
remember her story, Miji Manidoo the Devil Dog.

Nope, I must have missed it. Sometimes I dont have time to read everything on here either so..  But no I dont remember her story.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.2.9  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Kavika @8.2.6    6 years ago

Of course it's one of my favorites. Happy

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
8.2.10  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @8.2.7    6 years ago
remember her story, Miji Manidoo the Devil Dog.

Yes!  I do indeed remember that story, and I loved it, and I would love to rad it again! thumbs up

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.2.11  Kavika   replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @8.2.8    6 years ago

Here ya go steve.

Sophomore Guide
8.2.12  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika @8.2.11    6 years ago

O yeah I did see and read that story and even commented on the poor visiting armadillo falling down the hill. 

Good story. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
8.2.13  Skrekk  replied to  Kavika @8.2.11    6 years ago

Do you have to worry about leprosy with an armadillo around?

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.2.14  Kavika   replied to  Skrekk @8.2.13    6 years ago

Actually there are hundreds of armadillos around the area..Probably thousands. Amos lives on the other side of the house and never has contact with Wiki or Annie. Armadillos have very poor eyesight but an amazing sense of smell and there are some smells that will keep them from areas you don't want them in...I use vinegar to keep him in his ''area''....just pour some along a line on the ground and he'll not come near it. He has his 1/2 acre to wander around in and he stays there.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
8.2.15  Skrekk  replied to  Kavika @8.2.14    6 years ago
I use vinegar to keep him in his ''area''

That would work on me too!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
9  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

Wiki is one tough ombre! 

Sophomore Guide
9.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9    6 years ago
Wiki is one tough ombre!

I don't think I'd want to put my whole pack up against Wiki. 

Seriously my babies would have probably fled like cowards from that damn rhino and the lion would probably tear the crap out of em. 

Wiki seems to rule.

Even my big male would probably take one look at either (Rhino or lion) and shoot a look at me with that look of "Dude your on your own, I'm outta here" as he bolted.

He'd figure he could find a meal elsewhere anyway and beat feet !!!

Can't say as I'd blame him though. I'd be right behind him.

lol

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
9.1.1  Skrekk  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @9.1    6 years ago

Dubya will get all manly and gruff whenever there are furry or 4-legged critters on TV, the bigger the better.   He especially gets excited by cartoon dinosaurs for some reason, and he also loves the Planet of the Apes movies and any of the Puppy Bowls.   Any he really reacts to the MGM lion.

I think it's because his visual scan rate must be slow enough for TV images to make sense to him.   The other hybrids I've had never reacted to TV images.

Sophomore Guide
9.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Skrekk @9.1.1    6 years ago
Dubya will get all manly and gruff whenever there are furry or 4-legged critters on TV,

LOL... I have a couple of my babies who like to watch TV as well. I used to leave "The Animal Planet" on for them when I was gone till I came home one day and The animal planet had a show on about abused puppies and they were all whining and howling and my poor dogs looked terrified. 

Now, they no long are subjected to "The animal planet" when I'm gone.

Live and learn !