On This June 6th, Please Be Grateful For Your Precious Freedom

Category:  Other

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  6 years ago  •  80 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Bev Perlson, Geller Report, June 6 2018

dday400x267.jpg

The heroism of the Allied Troops who landed at Normandy 74 years ago today literally saved the world. D-Day was the largest seaborne invasion in history and began with 24,000 brave American, British, and Canadian airborne troops landing at midnight on June 5th. The airborne assault was followed on the morning of June 6th by infantry and armored divisions storming the beaches of Normandy, under heavy gunfire from above.

A tribute to the brave men who jumped behind enemy lines on the night of June 5th, 1944. I’m in awe of the incredible bravery of all who sacrificed during the D Day invasion:

Airborne Invasion of Normandy | D-Day Minus One | 1944 | World War 2 Documentary. [I am unable to open the documentary, so please click on this link to open the original article to watch it]:

https://gellerreport.com/2018/06/june-6-freedom.html/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

The US Cemetery at Colleville, above Omaha Beach...

Cimetiereamericainplage.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Please note that this was published by Pamela Geller as a tribute to the armed forces who fought and those who died to preserve the freedom that we should uphold, such as freedom of speech. No value [ph]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    6 years ago

I don't see any "left" or "right" labels on the crosses, Buzz.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1    6 years ago

I have been to  Gettysburg and countless other national and state cemeteries for veterans

and never have I seen a service member "identified"  as an Republican or any other political party.

But I thank you Buzz, while this was only the second article to mention D-Day,

this one was specifically on point about those heroic men.

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
2.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.1    6 years ago

Both my Father and Brother are buried at Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery, and when I lived in San Diego I visited there many times, and never have I ever seen any crosses that had any political preference visible on any of the crosses. I truly don't think that any political information was ever requested at the time of burial request, and due to limited space on the crosses, and the name plates for the mausoleum, adding specific political preference information would likely not be possible, and I have never seen that kind of information on any of the name plates at the mausoleum either.

At least that is at Ft Rosecrans National Cemetery when I have visited. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1    6 years ago

Yep, not on our dog tags either ....

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    6 years ago
Another NT member has posted another article about D-Day that appears to be designed to make a political accusation.

I just ran across that article. It was a deliberate political and media bias hit piece cloaked as a "D-Day tribute".

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2    6 years ago

The title of the other article and the seeded content are clearly not a tribute to D-Day in any way. 

The "other" seed is about a poorly performed press conference that poorly expressed any historical or geopolitical understanding by

the State Department's Spokesperson Heather Nauert when she included  D-Day as part of our long standing good relationship with the government of Germany.

The press release was poorly worded and poorly delivered by Nauert and deserves to be criticized.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.1    6 years ago

Thankfully, on that "other" article, several members had the good grace to take the time to remember their relatives who served, not just on D-Day,

but anywhere on the planet that they were called to defend the USA and it's allies against those Axis powers that declared war on us.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.1    6 years ago
The title of the other article and the seeded content are clearly not a tribute to D-Day in any way. 

That "other" article has a very obviously altered headline. Isn't that a CoC violation? Yes, it is, but mods ignored it even though it had been reported. 

Article and seed titles should accurately reflect the content of the article. Seeded articles should us [sic} the title from the article they are seeding from in accordance to copyright law.

I placed "D-Day tribute" in quotes for a reason known as sarcasm . There's no way to sugar-coat the obvious reason that "other" article was posted on the sacred day known as D-Day.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.3    6 years ago

One more thing, SP - Please don't delete my comment citing "off topic" or something like that. I replied to your off-topic comment. Thanks.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.5  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.3    6 years ago

The seeded "article" appears to be a blog (The best and the brightest)by Erik Loomis, and as such, may or may not be copyright protected, I'll leave that up to Perrie.

However the second link in the "article" (State Department spokeswoman notes D-Day in answer on 'strong relationship' with Germany)

is similar enough to the title that JR listed, to fulfill the CoC requirements. Perhaps JR should have, or intended to, link the other article.

This happened to Norman the other day and I switched it for him.  In this case , it is flagged for the RA's review.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
2.2.6  Explorerdog  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.2    6 years ago

What can give greater reverence to the remembrance of battle than immortalizing the fallen especially when they are family, the simple fact that the overwhelming incompetence of this administration does nothing to reduce the ultimate sacrifice made by those men. I love history, but there are places and times I am glad I wasn't  yet a member of the human race to participate in and D-Day is one of those times. Trump says he loves war, at least as long as others are fighting in it and I fear he could want to realize his fantasy, this planet would never be the same.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.7  Jasper2529  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.5    6 years ago

Look, I'm not going to dicker with you about that "other" seed. Continuing to be off-topic is disrespectful to Buzz and the importance of his seed. All I'll say is that the "other" seeder altered his headline for a specific reason and we all know why. According to our CoH, it's a no-no and to do so on a solemn day like D-Day makes it even more reprehensible.

Thanks for pointing it out.

You're welcome.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.8  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.4    6 years ago

I'm sure you realize that my participation here, prevents me from moderating your comments, but thanks for the criticism.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.9  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.7    6 years ago
Continuing to be off-topic is disrespectful to Buzz and the importance of his seed.

First off, Buzz was disrespectful to JR, both here and on JR's seed.

Secondly, the importance of any seed is too subjective to merit any discussion.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.10  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2    6 years ago

It was not "cloaked as" anything. Get a grip.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.11  JohnRussell  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.1    6 years ago

Yep. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.12  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.3    6 years ago
That "other" article has a very obviously altered headline. Isn't that a CoC violation? Yes, it is, but mods ignored it even though it had been reported.

The original title of the other article was "Hmmm".  I didnt think that was a good description of the content so I made it more reflective of what was in the article. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.13  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.7    6 years ago
According to our CoH, it's a no-no and to do so on a solemn day like D-Day makes it even more reprehensible.

Oh please. The entire day of D Day went by without any articles or comments about it that I saw. Late in the evening I posted something that was funny, concerning not D-Day, but something said by a Trump official. 

If their constant gaffes offend you so much, tell them to stop making them. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.14  Jasper2529  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.9    6 years ago
First off, Buzz was disrespectful to JR, both here and on JR's seed.

Neither Buzz's nor my comments mentioned JR by name on this seed, but yours and JR's have. 

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
2.2.15  cobaltblue  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.7    6 years ago
solemn day like D-Day makes it even more reprehensible

Snarkasm noted, Jasper. As is your flair for what seems pretty dramatic. Reprehensible? Children dying from starvation is reprehensible, Jasper. People being afraid to send their kids to school is reprehensible, Jasper. I see you find the moderating here not to your liking. I find the moderating here very fair. I’ve yet to be spanked but I’ve yet to spend much time here. But I can assure you, and I know you’re aware, that I’m not exactly everyone’s favorite. It will only be a matter of short time before someone finds my being incredulous at what some think is clear and rational thought being ‘not nice’ as offensive. Have you ever been banned from any newsites ever? You’d only be banned if you egregiously abuse the site by behavior that’s less than moral and upright. It seems, but I can’t be sure, that this site is run on a point system. And it’s also clear you would like to call your teaching past to come into play in the hopes of making everyone play fair. Using your rules. Not seeing the forest for the trees and NOT basing a conversation on intellectual intercourse can be totally counterproductive. [Yes … I said ‘intercourse.’ You know I had to do it … Jasper.] I see people on the left get smacked and I see people on the right get smacked. I find that nitpicking every single thing to death while ignoring the obvious can make it appear as if I’m not that intelligent … more self-serving. So I don’t do it. Pointing out every misbehavior, in a sense abusing your flagging privileges, only makes others want to nitpick everything YOU do … Jasper. Quit blaming the mods here. They’ve proven themselves to be adept and used to using the CoC as it should be. Including the ones that don’t like me.

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
2.2.16  Raven Wing  replied to  cobaltblue @2.2.15    6 years ago

Very, very well said, and spot on!!! I'm not very liked by a few here as I won't roll over and let them bully me. I have been spanked a few times here on NT, but, I expected it. And even when I didn't I accepted it as being my own fault. I don't blame others for my own wrong doing as some here constantly do, thinking that they shouldn't have to abide by the CoC or ToS, as they are above the law here. 

And yes, there are those who only come to NT to try see how much hate and divisiveness they can create. They feel they own the site and can dictate to others here what they can and can't do according to their own rules. 

But, the majority of the Members here are really great people, and there are many here who I have been Friends with for many years, and have made a lot of new ones. So in spite of those who do their best to undermine NT and drive away those they disagree with to try and create an echo chamber out of NT, I do enjoy my time here to be with my Friends, and those who wish to share their own life experiences and knowledge that I can learn from.  

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
2.2.17  cobaltblue  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2.16    6 years ago
But, the majority of the Members here are really great people, and there are many here who I have been Friends with for many years, and have made a lot of new ones. So in spite of those who do their best to undermine NT and drive away those they disagree with to try and create an echo chamber out of NT, I do enjoy my time here to be with my Friends, and those who wish to share their own life experiences and knowledge that I can learn from.

You know Raven ... you're not only in the highest IQ percentile, but you're intuitive. That can't be measured. But it's invaluable. There's something about people like that. I gotta ask: when you're waiting in line at a grocery store and there's a baby in the cart in front of you, do they make eye contact and stare for awhile? Do they reach out to you? Are animals drawn to you? When you bend to pet them, do they lean into it not shrink away since they don't know you? Do you work outside while bees and wasps are pollinating and hive making and they just work around you? 

I take it as a compliment that you see things through eyes like mine. 

I don't care about another article about the same thing. I like this one and it honors those whose courage and love of country is unchallenged. They fought despite their fear to give us freedom from oppression. And free others from oppression. I only need to comment on this article. It's inappropriate given the nature of the article to do otherwise. 

Love you, Raven. 

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
2.2.19  cobaltblue  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.13    6 years ago
Oh please. The entire day of D Day went by without any articles or comments about it that I saw.

Oh, the drama. Reprehensible. And no one should be annoying you, Jr. It seems to me if someone who had an IQ over the 40 range, they would know they find fault with your articles so they would avoid them. 

Notice to all: Be nice to JR. He's respectful and bright. Nor is he a shrinking violet. And I'm his bitch. Sometimes. 

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
2.2.20  Raven Wing  replied to  cobaltblue @2.2.17    6 years ago
when you're waiting in line at a grocery store and there's a baby in the cart in front of you, do they make eye contact and stare for awhile? Do they reach out to you? Are animals drawn to you? When you bend to pet them, do they lean into it not shrink away since they don't know you? Do you work outside while bees and wasps are pollinating and hive making and they just work around you?

Hi Cobaltblue,

To answer to all your questions; Yes. Even when waling down an aisle in the store little children will wave at me and smile, or make eye contact and smile, without my making the first move. Of course I always wave and smile back, or say hello.

I have always had a very intuitive relationship with animals, as I see them as not jut an animal, but as a being that shares Mother Earth with me. And when I want to pet them, they will not shy away or negatively respond. There was a horse in a stable that I was once volunteering in that I had made friends with. One day as I was hand feeding him some apple slices, the owner came around the corner of the aisle and screamed for me to get away from the horse, that it was mean and would bit and try to kick me. I looked at the owner, then back at the horse and asked the horse, "When do you do that?" and kind of laughed. As the owner came closer the horse became very agitated, and I could tell that the horse did not like the man. From then on, I was the only one the horse would let near him.

And as for bees, yes, I was been a beekeerper for several years, and loved being around them. Busy little beings that just want to do their job. I would take some of the honey from their hive for my Grandmother who loved the fresh honey, and it helped with her arthritis, but, I always made sure to be careful not to disturb any part of the hive that might contain any bee brood, and left plenty of honey for the bees. I have not been around wasps that much, but, if there is a nest around the house, I will remove it and take it elsewhere so that they can still have their nest. I also communicate with birds, especially Ravens, which are my Messenger Spirits.  

Each and every being on earth has a purpose, and all that are part of Mother Earth are connected. 

Thank you for your very kind words, I truly enjoy your comments and love that I can learn from you. You are truly a great Mentor to others. 

I am honored to be as insightful and see things as you do. In that we are truly Sister in Spirit. Big hugs

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
2.2.21  cobaltblue  replied to  Release The Kraken @2.2.18    6 years ago
total ass knuckles

Wait. What??? 

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
2.2.22  cobaltblue  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2.20    6 years ago

There are varying degrees of insightfulness. On the babies and animal scale, I'm pretty high up there. However, with those small but mighty beings that have the power to sting and welt me, I avoid them in order not to tempt fate. But I know someone whom I love deeply who has the same attributes as you and has the ability to coax Mother Earth to be fruitful. I can mulch, dig the precise measurements, etc., and have some success. My loved one can kick some dirt aside, plop it in, water it, throw coffee grounds on it and it flourishes. Everything responds to him. 

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
2.2.23  Raven Wing  replied to  cobaltblue @2.2.21    6 years ago
Wait. What???

"total ass knuckles"........have you ever seen an ass with knuckles" I haven't. Butt then, I don't make a habit of going around and asking to see strangers asses. Butt, I can't help think that they would be far more uncomfortable than hemorrhoids. $%^)@%(^   yelling

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
2.2.24  Raven Wing  replied to  cobaltblue @2.2.22    6 years ago
Everything responds to him.

Wellll.......I am not good at having house plants. They all die on me within a short time, no matter how I water or feed them, or where I put them in the house. Even false green ivy shrivels and turns yellow on me. So I don't have a very good thumb for house plants. But, I can grow just about anything outside. And I always made sure I planted enough vegetables for me and the critters that also loved vegetables. (smile)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.25  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.4    6 years ago

It would be improper for the mods to delete a comment as "off topic" unless the person who posted the seed or article requests it.  I rarely flag a comment as "off topic" unless it is mean-spirited or introduce religion or politics to the discussion when they are not the topic. However, the extremity of the off topic comments on this seed have gone beyond the pale, and would be more properly located in personal notes.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.2.26  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2.23    6 years ago
Butt, I can't help think that they would be far more uncomfortable than hemorrhoids.

I don't know about that, have you ever had something hard in your back pocket and, then sat down on it, ouch.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    6 years ago

Let me make a few comments to straighten something out here. Buzz is inferring that I seeded a disrespectful article about D Day last night. It wasn't disrespectful to D Day, it was a commentary on the State Dept official fumbling her thoughts badly enough so that it appeared she was saying that the D Day invasion of Nazi Europe by the Allies was an example of the US good relationship with Germany. It was an absurdist funny. 

Buzz likes to throw pointless little digs at me, but thats ok. 

JBB
Professor Principal
2.3.1  JBB  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3    6 years ago

Someone had to go looking to find ways to diss you over this article. What is up with that?

Ender
Professor Principal
2.3.4  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3    6 years ago

Actually your seeded article turned into nice conversation about people that have served. I enjoyed the exchange that happened there.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.3.5  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3    6 years ago
"Buzz likes to throw pointless little digs at me, but thats ok."

Just getting even, John.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

dday4.jpg

ww2_dday_landing-940x470.jpg

day-day.jpg

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  Vic Eldred    6 years ago

It was the beginning of the end for the war in Europe

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     6 years ago

Eisenhower+visiting+with+members+of+the+

My personal connection to D Day is my cousin, a member of the 101st Airborne jumped there and was later KIA at the Siege of Bastogne, 24 December, 1944. 

A little known fact was members of the 4th SAS of the Free French Army jumped at Normandy on D Day. 

''How far you going, all the way Airborne''...

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @5    6 years ago

Ahh Nuts.

Sorry for your family's loss.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @5.1    6 years ago
NUTS!

Anthony McAuliffe   ( 2 July   1898     11 August   1975 ) was the United States Army general who was the acting division commander of the   101st Airborne Division   troops defending Bastogne, Belgium, during World War II's   Battle of the Bulge , famous for his single-word reply of "Nuts!" in response to a German surrender ultimatum.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5.1.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @5.1.1    6 years ago

My best friend for decades, was a Screaming Eagle. This was the first story he told me of the 101st. He was one of the lucky ones who went through Jump School 2 times.

He broke his ankle on one of his last jumps and had 2 options. Wash out or go through Jump School again. He went through Jump School again and got his Wings.

Among other things, he taught me more than the basics of automotive mechanics.

Once he took me to the range to teach me how to shoot. After a couple rounds, he knew I was in a different league.

One of the best things he taught me was the appreciation of a good Cuban sandwich and nothing came close to Priscilla's yellow Spanish rice.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6  Jasper2529    6 years ago

Meet two D-Day survivors ...  Arlen Lincoln Harner and  MacDonald Leach ---

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
8  cobaltblue    6 years ago

My heart breaks for the lives of those lost and the generations of their families. It was truly the beginning of the end of the war, and each person laying their life on the line was a volunteer. Such courage. My pride is like a bandaid on my heart. It still hurts, but the pride I feel helps the ache. Thanks to all who served and to the families of those that served. They served stateside. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  Kavika     6 years ago

Some additional information about U.S. Airborne units. Prior to WWII the U.S. had no airborne troops. Seeing how the Germans and British used them and how successful they were the U.S. authorized the formation of two airborne divisions. The 101st Airborne Division (Screaming Eagles) and the 82nd Airborne Division (All American)...

Major General Wm C. Lee at the activation ceremony at Camp Claiborne LA. noted in his speech the following. 

''The 101st has no history, but it has a rendezvous with destiny''....

Indeed it did. December 1944, Siege of Bastogne. The 101st would go down in military annuals for their stand against overwhelming odds in freezing weather. As General McAuliffe told the German Commander when they asked for the surrender of the 101st at Bastogne. You are surrounded and outnumbered, low on food and ammo General McAuliffe told the German Commander....''NUTS"....

A member of my family has served with the 101st in WWII, Korea, Vietnam and the ME...

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
9.1  cobaltblue  replied to  Kavika @9    6 years ago
Some additional information about U.S. Airborne units.

I'm learning all sorts of stuff today! Thanks Kav ... it's good to see you. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Kavika   replied to  cobaltblue @9.1    6 years ago

Your most welcome cobaltblue... Good to see you as well. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10  Jasper2529    6 years ago

Excellent seed, Buzz. Thank you for posting it. It's sad that some people tried to derail a D-Day tribute that honored the bravery of those who were willing to give their lives so that future generations could live in freedom.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
10.1  cobaltblue  replied to  Jasper2529 @10    6 years ago
It's sad that some people tried to derail a D-Day tribute

You just had to do that, didn't you ... Jasper. Criminey. Quit making it about you and your 'reprehensible' stuff. Everything was fine til you chose to come back with that. You realize that sentence ALONE is a derail, don't you? Even 9mm and I were holding hands. How about saying ONLY "excellent seed, Buzz" ... and leave it at that. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  cobaltblue @10.1    6 years ago

Although I didn't consider some of the comments to be intentional derailling, some of them went way too far into personal conversations that belonged more as personal notes. 

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
11  Raven Wing    6 years ago

My Maternal Grandfather was color blind, and due to that, they used him to spot the hidden enemy artillery in the area of the beach where the forces would be landing on D-Day. Due to his being color blind, he could see past the camouflage that was used to hide the artillery and hidden forces. It was not the first time he had performed this kind of duty. And this, when my Grandfather was scared to death to fly. 

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
11.1  cobaltblue  replied to  Raven Wing @11    6 years ago
And this, when my Grandfather was scared to death to fly.

I'm puffed up with pride. I can only imagine how you must feel. 

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
11.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  cobaltblue @11.1    6 years ago
I'm puffed up with pride. I can only imagine how you must feel.

I am very proud of him as well. I did not learn of this part of his life until I was about 10 Y/o, and there was a celebration of D-Day on TV and we were watching. I mentioned how brave the men had to be to land knowing that they were a breath away from having their life taken. It was then my Grandfather told me about his helping as he did, and was very proud of how his spotting helped the troops on the ground and the aircraft take them out of action. I really was surprised, as he had always complained about being color blind, and my Grandmother had to help him buy clothes and lay out the cloths that he would were each day so that he would not be that abstract. While that might be considered bon vivant today, back then it would be be very outlandish. So I learned something I had never known about my Grandfather that day in more ways than one. And I could not help but be very proud of him for using what he has always considered a handicap to help save many lives. (smile)

Kavika
Professor Principal
12  Kavika     6 years ago

An additional bit of information on the Battle of the Bulge. 

In Steven Ambros book and mini series, Band of Brothers he mentioned a black nurse named Anna. 

This is the real person and her heroics during this critical battle. 

Ms. Augusta Chiwy 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago
Sixty-eight years ago my father was fighting in Normandy with the 82nd Airborne. He never talked much about it. Said "I just did my job." I went over to his place this morning and helped him with his shower. Always the comedian, when he got his clothes off, he said, "Okay, I'll get out in the hall and take one lap around the place and then it's your turn." So many other good men and women did not come home. They fought for unity and peace, not division and exclusion. We owe them.

My brother posted this on fb yesterday, it's were I got this picture of our dad,

Dad in the Army.jpg

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
13.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13    6 years ago
They fought for unity and peace, not division and exclusion. We owe them.

Indeed, I am sure that all of them did. But, in today's world, it seems to be all about who has the nukes and how many allies they can alienate. I think most of those who had that dream of unity and peace would cry seeing how their sacrifices resulted in today. Sad

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Raven Wing @13.1    6 years ago

My dad always said that there was a chance for unity but, in his later years he began to doubt it.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
13.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Raven Wing @13.1    6 years ago
They fought for unity and peace, not division and exclusion. We owe them.

Very true. Sadly, when many of those soldiers returned home they went back to accepting the division and prejudice that was alive and well at the time in America as starkly shown when black veterans returned and were denied most of the benefits of the GI bill that helped build a prosperous middle class. We've actually made a lot of progress in equality since then, though with the new era of Trumpism we are sadly taking several steps backwards with many of his supporters forgetting what those veterans fought and died for.

" For many black American veterans, coming back home after the war became a period of difficult transition. The treatment blacks received in Europe was much different than the racism and prejudice they had experience in America. In Europe they had been treated just like any other soldier, the color of their skin was not a consideration. One young soldier commented, "Had the ten months I spent in France been all in vain? Were those white crosses over the dead bodies of those dark-skinned boys lying in Flanders fields for naught? Was democracy merely a hollow sentiment? What had I done to deserve such treatment?".

" Whites were able to use the government guaranteed housing loans that were a pillar of the bill to buy homes in the fast growing suburbs. Those homes subsequently rose greatly in value in coming decades, creating vast new household wealth for whites during the postwar era. But black veterans weren't able to make use of the housing provisions of the GI Bill for the most part. Banks generally wouldn't make loans for mortgages in black neighborhoods, and African-Americans were excluded from the suburbs by a combination of deed covenants and informal racism. 

In short, the GI Bill helped fostered a long-term boom in white wealth but did almost nothing to help blacks to build wealth. We are still living with the effects of that exclusion today -- and will be for a long time to come."

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
13.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13.1.1    6 years ago
My dad always said that there was a chance for unity but, in his later years he began to doubt it.

I am sure that was the hope and prayer of all those who fought during the wars, and they did their all to try to make that happen, even making the ultimate sacrifice. But, those who sit safely in their lush offices far from harms way can't find it in them to have the same hope and prayers, only what will put more money in their own pockets and give them higher positions to feed their egos. And until the day comes when our hearts and hopes are all one, there will be little chance for unity and peace. Right now our country has become so divided and hostile within our own borders, there is little chance for peace and unity right here in America. And that is truly very sad.

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
13.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @13.1.2    6 years ago

Great comment, and very true. My Brother fought two tours of duty in Vietnam, and when he came home for the last time he could not understand why those who served in Vietnam were being treated as traitors or worse. He as so disheartened by it as he had been in several situations where his life was in danger, and watched as several of his fellow compeers were brutally killed. 

So he chose not to ever talk about it, not even to family. We did not even know that, and not even his own family knew, that he had been awarded a Purple Heart for saving the life of 24 Marines trapped on an islet by the Viet Cong. His crew laid in fire cover while the Marines were taken to safety in canal boats. However, their efforts to save the Marines cost the lives of all the crew aboard the PT Boat he was on except him and the coxswain. My Brother said he cried for two days for the loss of his crew mates, with whom he had become very close, having to depend on one another for survival. 

While the Vietnam war is in the long past, there is still a toxic stigma that seems to continue to hang on the very name Vietnam itself, and those who fought in that war. I have to wonder when it will finally end. My Brother never got to see the day when his service in Vietnam would cease to be a scourge.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13    6 years ago

My brother Frank and, his wife Suk-Hi, both retired Air Force,

Frank and SukHi.jpg

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
13.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13.2    6 years ago

What a great picture of your Parents. Thank you for sharing them with us. (smile)

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.2.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Raven Wing @13.2.1    6 years ago
What a great picture of your Parents.

LOL, that's my brother and, his wife, my dad is the Airborne in the picture above. This is my dad and, stepmother,

dad and kay.jpg

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
13.2.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13.2.2    6 years ago

Ahhh....sorry for the confusion. My error, I misread. Your parents look like a very happy couple! (smile)

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.2.4  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Raven Wing @13.2.3    6 years ago

They were, dad retired from Eastern Airlines and, Kay retired from banking, they went into renting out apartments in Miami and, did pretty well, then retired from that and, moved to Belleview Fl. Most likely my brother said something so funny that they couldn't help but crack up, he's like that.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.2.5  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Raven Wing @13.2.3    6 years ago

LOL, Frank would get a kick out of the mistake, just like me, no harm done, there's 16 years between me and, him.

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
13.2.6  Raven Wing  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13.2.5    6 years ago
there's 16 years between me and, him.

Now that's quite an older Brother!! (grin)

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.2.7  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Raven Wing @13.2.6    6 years ago
Now that's quite an older Brother!! (grin)

Don't let the age difference fool you, when I graduated high school he gave me a graduation card that read on the front, "Congratulations on graduating if anyone doubts you did", then when you opened it, it said, "Hit them with your crayons."