╌>

Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61

Category:  News & Politics

By:  tfargo  •  6 years ago  •  43 comments

Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61

The whole story: https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

New York (CNN)Anthony Bourdain, a gifted storyteller and writer who took CNN viewers around the world, has died. He was 61.

170905122613anthonybourdainpartsunknowntrinidadexlarge169.jpg

CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide.

"It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the network said in a statement Friday morning. "His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time."

Bourdain was in France working on an upcoming episode of his award-winning CNN series "Parts Unknown." His close friend Eric Ripert, the French chef, found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
1  author  T.Fargo    6 years ago

Horrible news for culinarians around the globe.  Anthony touched the lives of many.  He had the curiosity of a child, the language of a surly savior and the story telling ability of a wizened old man.  I will miss him and ask for peace to his family and friends.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1  evilone  replied to  T.Fargo @1    6 years ago

I read the news this morning. Both B and I were fans of his shows. Not only did we learn about food, we also learned about how food plays a big part of culture. The world is a little dimmer today with his passing. 

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
1.1.1  author  T.Fargo  replied to  evilone @1.1    6 years ago

crying I agree.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     6 years ago

Damn, ''Parts Unknown'' is one of the very few TV programs that I bother to watch...Really enjoyed the show and Anthony.

RIP

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
2.1  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Kavika @2    6 years ago

Extremely saddening news. Yes, Parts Unknown was a good one. I want to say that I became a fan with No Reservations. He was witty, and a had sense of humor much like mine. Sad deal. 

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
2.1.1  author  T.Fargo  replied to  Transyferous Rex @2.1    6 years ago

I watched every episode of No Reservations.  Him and Zamir Gotta would crack me up.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.2  epistte  replied to  T.Fargo @2.1.1    6 years ago
I watched every episode of No Reservations.

Bourdain's Russian friend was hilarious. I loved him.

I read Kitchen Confidential in about 4 hours and loved it.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  epistte @2.1.2    6 years ago

To my late son, who was also a classically trained professional chef, Anthony Bourdain was his favorite television personality and he never missed any of his shows. May they both swap recipes in the great kitchen in the sky. RIP!

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
2.1.4  author  T.Fargo  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.3    6 years ago

Many thoughts to you now for your loss.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @2    6 years ago

Ditto.........

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3  MrFrost    6 years ago

Love his Parts Unknown show, was watching some older episodes last night. Story telling, food, culture....great combination that made for a wonderful show. 

It's sad that he felt his problems were too great to overcome and took his own life. I've never understood why people kill themselves, but i admit that it's something that has been on my mind a lot lately.

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
3.1  author  T.Fargo  replied to  MrFrost @3    6 years ago
Call 1-800-273-8255
Available 24 hours everyday
Online Chat

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3.1.1  Enoch  replied to  T.Fargo @3.1    6 years ago

Dear Friend T. Fargo: Thank you for posting that hotline number.

There are new medications and therapies which are very affordable.

Increasingly, they are covered by health insurance.

They are more effective daily.

There is hope.

The first step is to get help.

It is there.

Peace and Abundant blessings To One and All.

Enoch.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4  Sunshine    6 years ago

So sad.  He had an eleven year old daughter.  Hard to understand suicide especially when one seems to have everything going for them.  My thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5  pat wilson    6 years ago

When I saw this this morning it was like a punch to the gut. I admired Bourdain immensely. Such talent ! So sad.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

Reminds me of Hunter S. Thompson's demise.  A beloved member of American counter culture decides today is the day to die, and just does it - with nobody close to him having any idea it was on the horizon.  Sad and shocking, but it's how he wanted it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

There is a bigger picture here and one that is far more disturbing. 

The CDC just released their findings on suicide.

Suicide rates are up 30 percent since 1999, CDC says

There is something else going on and that is what we all should be taking note of.

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
7.1  author  T.Fargo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7    6 years ago

I just read that in a VOX article too.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
7.2  Sunshine  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7    6 years ago

The stigma that goes along with someone admitting that they are considering suicide needs to go away.  More would seek help, IMO.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.2.1  epistte  replied to  Sunshine @7.2    6 years ago
The stigma that goes along with someone admitting that they are considering suicide needs to go away.

The mental health system in the US is a bad joke, and its often driven by people who profit from medication instead of making sure that you get better.  This is not just an opinion of mine because I have experienced it first hand because of my PTSD.  If we treated heart attacks, cancer or strokes in the same way that we treat mental heath there would be riots but there are many people, doctors included, who do not take mental health seriously because it cannot be diagnosed with lab tests or an MRI/scan. 

Tony Bourdain was a idol of mine because of his humanity for others, his willingness to experience cultures that were unknown even to him and his ability to talk about food in ways that were not often media friendly.  I followed him from the Food Network, to the Travel Channel and then to CNN.  Rest in peace sir but I wish that you have stayed with us for a few more decades because your voice is already missed.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  epistte @7.2.1    6 years ago
The mental health system in the US is a bad joke, and its often driven by people who profit from medication instead of making sure that you get better.

Agreed!! 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
7.2.3  Sunshine  replied to  epistte @7.2.1    6 years ago
The mental health system in the US is a bad joke, and its often driven by people who profit from medication instead of making sure that you get better.

A more holistic approach maybe would be more beneficial to the patient.  I have not had to be treated for mental health nor anyone in my family accept my brother.  He would not get the help he needed though.  

I do know that I could comfortably tell my boss I need a few weeks off to recoup from surgery, but telling him I need time off to treat my mental health would not be a wise decision.  

This needs to change. 

epistte
Junior Guide
7.2.4  epistte  replied to  Sunshine @7.2.3    6 years ago
I do know that I could comfortably tell my boss I need a few weeks off to recoup from surgery, but telling him I need time off to treat my mental health would not be a wise decision.

To many people, mental health is for those who are weak. There are many people who think that I am lying when I say that I have PTSD but the source isn't from military service. They are conviced that only vets have PTSD.  The system to treat PTSD is obvioiusly biased towards veterans and leaves many civilians out of the loop. 

The worst comment that I have received has come from a former Dr.  I told him that the changes that he was making was making my PTSD worse. His response was "I don't care about your mental heath and your concerns aren't going to change what I am doing. Tell your concerns to someone who cares." That was the last time that I spoke to him. I sent to a letter to the state medical board less than a week later detailing his behavior.  My psychiatrist tried to talk with him about his actions before but he yelled at her and hung up. He went to far as to berate a pharmacist when he questioned a script.

This was not a country Dr, but a Dr at a major medical facility that is commonly in the news for their cancer and trauma care. They might be good at cancer but they don't not see anything that isn't on a lab test. You are not a person to them but instead are an ambulatory test tube. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  epistte @7.2.1    6 years ago

I'm getting a lecture right now on another forum about how depression isn't really a disease.  From a health care professional, no less.  And he can't see how that attitude might be offputting to those who might need to reach out for help.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.2.6  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.2.5    6 years ago
And he can't see how that attitude might be offputting to those who might need to reach out for help.

I hope that this person is not an a medical specialty of direct care so someone doesn't go to him with their concerns and have him tell them that he doesn't think mental health is a serious problem. If he is in a direct care field I'd consider reporting his statements to the state medical board where he lives or works.  Nobody deserves to be treated that way.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  epistte @7.2.6    6 years ago

He's a dentist, like me.  So, unlikely to deal with patients with suicidal tendencies in a professional capacity, but that doesn't rule it out in his personal life.  And he is likely to deal with patients with depression, anxiety, and addictions.  We all do.  We're just not likely to be advising them about those issues, except as they relate to dentistry.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.2.8  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.2.7    6 years ago

I was not aware that you are a dentist.  WOW!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  epistte @7.2.8    6 years ago

It's no big deal.

But I think all healthcare providers ought to have at least a rudimentary knowledge of health care in specialties other than their own.  Sometimes, as in a patient with complicated health issues, it's a matter of patient safety.  And sometimes, as in depression and suicide, it's a matter of showing compassion and being worthy of trust.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @7.2.2    6 years ago

Not only the USA, but everywhere, and I speak as a survivor.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8  Raven Wing    6 years ago

I have not owned a TV for over 20 years, so I didn't watch his program on TV. But, I did read many of his articles and he was an excellent writer. He too, had a way of making a person feel they were actually part of the experience being discussed. 

He will certainly be missed in more ways than just what his TV program offered. 

RIP Mr. Bourdain.

Ender
Professor Principal
9  Ender    6 years ago

Sad.

When I have watched him, he always seemed happy.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
10  pat wilson    6 years ago

Anthony ! Why ?

I know it’s not my business.

I just know you gave us the world, a gift of talent, love, culture and taste.

Now you’ve taken it back. Am I selfish to be so angry, maybe.

Fu#*k, I don’t know anymore.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
11  magnoliaave    6 years ago

I really liked him.  He travelled the world alone except for his production crew and, usually, a guide.  For some reason, I felt so much compassion for this tall man who quietly went about his way brining us a new way to look at food and culture.  He seemed so lonely.  I remember a segment when he went back to see his wife and child.  Didn't last long.  He, also, said he enjoyed KFC. I think he had enough of being alone....he gave out mentally and physically. God love you.  Thank you.

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
13  author  T.Fargo    6 years ago

For Anthony and ultimately us all.  No matter our differences, I love you all.