S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Somehow this no longer seems like news:

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1  seeder  Skrekk    6 years ago

Is anyone surprised by this given that the GOP elected a racist and misogynist who lusts after his own daughter?

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Skrekk @1    6 years ago
Is anyone surprised by this given that the GOP elected a racist and misogynist who lusts after his own daughter?

Nope. And there may be more like him that we don't hear about. Apparently Ivanka loves it too as she has never shown any objection to where he puts his hands on her. 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2  epistte  replied to  Skrekk @1    6 years ago

Who is the current administration will come to his defense first? Trump, Pence or Jeff Sessions?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.3  pat wilson  replied to  Skrekk @1    6 years ago

Sick bastard.

Veronica
Professor Guide
2  Veronica    6 years ago

This is just sick.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.1  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Veronica @2    6 years ago

The part I found most disturbing is that the racist moron doesn't even know how to spell "mulatto".   Seriously, "Milato"?

To Make America Great Again we're going to need smarter bigoted Republicans who can spell correctly and are slightly more coy when they support raping kids.    Speaking of which.....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Skrekk @2.1    6 years ago

Good spelling is important otherwise they really just look like a dumbass

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Skrekk @2.1    6 years ago

Not able to wrap my head around the report on sheriff's deputy abusing a 4 year old...WTF

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.3  lennylynx  replied to  Kavika @2.1.2    6 years ago

Not surprising in Trumperica.  They are separating the boys and girls, and can't say where the girls are being held.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  mocowgirl  replied to  Kavika @2.1.2    6 years ago
Not able to wrap my head around the report on sheriff's deputy abusing a 4 year old...WTF

Unfortunately, this is not uncommon in the US or elsewhere in the world.

In the US, the majority of this is not reported (even children).  If it is reported, there are sympathetic judges who side with the pedophile.  In the 1990s, there was an AP release in my local Arkansas paper about a Colorado judge who dismissed a rape charge against a man charged with raping a 5 year old.  The judge said the 5 year old was "provocative".

Below is something more recent and from the liberal state of California.

In April 2015, t he judge said that he was sure that although Rojano-Nieto sodomized the girl and covered her mouth so she couldn't scream out, 'there was no violence or callous disregard for the victim's well-being,' according to   KTLA .

The judge said that Rojano-Nieto 'inexplicably became sexually aroused but did not appear to consciously intend to harm the victim.'

An Orange County judge who imposed less than half the mandatory sentence on a man who sodomized a three-year-old girl was told Tuesday to resentence him.

In 2015, Orange County Superior Court Judge Michael Marc Kelly sentenced him to 10 years in prison rather than the state-mandated term.

The mandatory term would be 'grossly disproportionate' in the case and would be unconstitutionally cruel and unusual, Kelly wrote. 'The manner in which this offense was committed is not typical of a predatory, violent brutal sodomy of a child case,' he wrote.

Although he acknowledged the act was 'serious and despicable,' Kelly said Rojano-Nieto stopped the assault within seconds and was remorseful, the girl wasn't seriously injured and her parents had urged leniency.

An update on the required sentencing.  Please note that he molested a family member.  The victim's father even requested leniency for the rapist despite the fact that it was his 3 year old daughter that was raped.

Momma is pleased that her son keeps a tidy room and can utter polite phrases.

We live in a culture that devalues females from the time that they are born.  It is what it is.

A   victim impact statement   submitted by her father argued that Nieto "understands the gravity of his actions and that he laments his mistakes," and had endured childhood trauma himself.

"He requires rehabilitation that focuses on psychological healing as a preventive measure, and not solely on retribution," the statement read.

Family members spoke again in court on Friday, and his mother Maria Rojano said she forgave him.

“He was always my perfect little boy. Always his clothes organized, room organized, ‘yes ma’am,’ ‘I love you mom,’ and something happened,” she said.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  mocowgirl  replied to  mocowgirl @2.1.4    6 years ago

This attitude that females, of any age, are just sex objects to be used by men is found in other "civilized" nations.

For more than two weeks, writer Caroline Criado-Perez has been leading a fight against the threats of violence online, which followed her banknote victory. Speaking today, she said: “This latest incident is the very front line of the sexism that still pervades UK society. For two weeks, Twitter has been awash rape and death threats against women who dare to speak out against abuse. The women are accused ‘provoking’ them.

“Now we have seen where this kind of attitude ends up: with what looks like a judge calling a 13-year-old girl a ‘sexual predator’ and letting her abuser off with a suspended sentence.”

In sentencing, Judge Nigel Peters apparently accepted the suggestions that Wilson’s teenage victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was complicit in the abuse; despite her being well below the age of consent.

The girl was accused in court of "egging her abuser on" and was described as "looking older" than her thirteen years, something the judge said he would consider in Wilson’s favour. But anti-rape campaigners railed at the accusation that the young victim was promiscuous. They argued that it helped facilitate the sexual abuse of children.

The support group Rape Crisis (England and Wales) said it was “appalled and bitterly disappointed” at what it called “shocking and entirely unacceptable treatment of a 13-year-old sexual violence victim in court”.

A spokesman said that the charity “utterly refutes the strong implication of the judge’s comments that a child’s behaviour can somehow mitigate that of an adult who perpetrates sexual violence against her”.

The spokesman added: “This is not only a gross misinterpretation of the law but also a sad and clear signal that we still have some way to go before rape survivors can confidently expect both social and criminal justice in this country.”

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  mocowgirl  replied to  mocowgirl @2.1.5    6 years ago

Most of now know that our brains fully mature around the age of 25.

However, facts, morals, ethics and basic decency do not matter in the slightest to sexual predators.

Read the comments at Debate.org about the question if the age of consent should be lowered to 13.

64% of the votes said "YES"!!!!!!!

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
2.1.7  mocowgirl  replied to  mocowgirl @2.1.6    6 years ago

A decent article about how we don't understand how to deal with men attracted to children.  It is vital that we have these conversations if our goal is to protect children.

Before we get started, can we all agree that there's a difference between trying to understand something and condoning it? There's nothing on Earth so awful that we should avoid talking about it completely. If anything, the more scared you are of a thing, the more you should try to understand it. Talking about a subject like pedophilia isn't going to make it worse. But   refusing   to talk about it -- or accusing those who do of glorifying it or normalizing it -- definitely will. No problem has ever been solved with ignorance.

And we   are   ignorant; pedophilia is almost a total mystery to modern science. We don't know what causes it, or how to prevent it, or how to cure it (short of   a form of castration ), because the moment a test subject admits they're a pedophile, they're ruined for life. Why would anyone ever come forward? Thus, society's insistence on taking the harshest possible position winds up exacerbating the problem.

So, here it goes: We sat down with several self-professed (but non-offending) pedophiles, as well as David Prescott (a therapist who specializes in sex offenders) and Dr. James Cantor (a scientist who studies their brains). They said ...

Remember what we said about Germany's Prevention Project Dunkelfeld? Well it's only possible because, unlike most countries, Germany has   no mandatory reporting law   for pedophilia. Does it work? Well, it's kind of impossible to know right now. But it's worth noting that for every two kids who die of abuse in Germany,   27 die in the United States .

And that's really what society has to ask itself: is it more important to save children, or to nail pedophiles? Because it looks like you have to pick one or the other -- driving them further underground just makes them more dangerous. Just to be clear: the goal isn't to make the world safe for child molesters, but to make the world safe for pedophiles   to seek treatment to prevent themselves from becoming child molesters . But when the comments under any article about pedophilia tend to look like this ...

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  mocowgirl  replied to  mocowgirl @2.1.6    6 years ago
However, facts, morals, ethics and basic decency do not matter in the slightest to sexual predators.

This is an emotional statement with no basis in fact.  My older daughter was almost 3 (in 1981) when she was molested by her 16 year old uncle.  My mother-in-law defended him and claimed I was just making it up.  The military doctor who examined my daughter refused to certify that she had been molested, but did tell me to NEVER leave my daughter with my mother-in-law again!  

I could qualify it by adding "sexual predators who act on their urges", but that isn't necessarily true.

Some scientists are claiming there is brain damage and that pedophilia is really a disease - mental illness.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  mocowgirl @2.1.8    6 years ago
pedophilia is really a disease - mental illness.

And there should be treatment...but that doesn't mean we let them around children

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.1.10  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Kavika @2.1.2    6 years ago

I'm not surprised the perp is a LEO given that the profession often attracts the wrong sort of person, and pedophiles will try to work in positions of trust with power over children.   

Apart from the rape of a child the other really big issue in that case is the immigration status of the mother who was (rightly) afraid to report the repeated rapes to the cops.    That's because it happened in a dimwitted red state like Texas which doesn't allow sanctuary cities and thus there are probably many more kids who were raped by this LEO.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
2.1.11  mocowgirl  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.9    6 years ago
.but that doesn't mean we let them around children

I agree that is the optimal solution.

However, pedophiles are drawn to occupations that allow them to be in trusted positions of authority over children like the clergy, coaching and teaching.

It is vital that we understand that it is the people that we trust most that have the most access to our children.  The pedophile is  likely to be the most liked and/or trusted member of the family, school or community.  This is why we must listen to our children and teach them that they should always share their feelings with us.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2.1.12  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  mocowgirl @2.1.4    6 years ago
In April 2015, the judge said that he was sure that although Rojano-Nieto sodomized the girl and covered her mouth so she couldn't scream out, 'there was no violence or callous disregard for the victim's well-being,'  

After a huge public outcry, Rojano-Nieto was resentenced to 25 to life.  Judge Marc Kelly and the victim's father and grandmother should be serving that sentence with him.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

Title must be the same as material presented. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.1  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    6 years ago

Sorry, I forgot about that.   I'll correct it.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.2  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    6 years ago

Actually I'm not sure how to edit that now.   The title of the seeded article is "GOP Candidate Normalizes Pedophilia Because The Bible".

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    6 years ago

The title Skrekk has is what's on the website

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.3.1  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.3    6 years ago

I think Perrie must have fixed it before I figured it out.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Skrekk @3.3.1    6 years ago

Ah...that explains it

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

Who is this guy?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    6 years ago

He's a GOP candidate for the Michigan state senate.    They've got some real kooks there.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Skrekk @4.1    6 years ago

He's a bastard

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.2  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.1    6 years ago

He reminds me of the governor of Maine and also a GOP gubernatorial candidate in NY who kept inadvertently letting racist comments slip out.     Someone needs to say to these guys: "You know we can hear you, right?"

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.2    6 years ago
Someone needs to say to these guys: "You know we can hear you, right?"

Yeahbut....they don't care. They are such hard core idiots they think they are beyond reproach. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.4  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.2    6 years ago

Carl Paladino is the guy in NY I was thinking of.    He can't seem to speak more than a sentence or two before he lets something racist or homophobic slip out.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.5  epistte  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.2    6 years ago

Carl Paladino?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.6  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  epistte @4.1.5    6 years ago

Bingo.    I knew the last name was Italian but I was blocking on the name.    It's a real shame what the GOP has become even in the north east.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.7  epistte  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.6    6 years ago
It's a real shame what the GOP has become even in the north east.

He paved the way for people like Trump in the GOP.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.1.8  lady in black  replied to  epistte @4.1.5    6 years ago

That jerk is from Buffalo, and he was on the Buffalo School Board but was kicked off for a very offensive email see link.

He has always been a blowhard know it all

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5  TᵢG    6 years ago

The Bible also makes no moral condemnation of slavery (but offers some nifty rules for proper enslavement).   So many examples of horrid moral principles and still in 2018 we have millions holding the Bible as divine.   Basically adopting the views of ancient naive men in cultures of thousands of years ago.

Makes No Sense

Imagine how life would be if people actually followed the moral lessons of the Bible.   This idiot should provide one a first clue.

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1  epistte  replied to  TᵢG @5    6 years ago

If the Bible is the literal word of god that suggests that their god could be Roy Moore's twin. 

The idea that those same people claim that the Bible is the foundation of morality is frightening. The fact that there is a sizeable demographic of people who agree with them in the 21st century is a condemnation of our public education system. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5.1.1  pat wilson  replied to  epistte @5.1    6 years ago

Handmaid's Tale coming our way !

Veronica
Professor Guide
5.2  Veronica  replied to  TᵢG @5    6 years ago

Also the selling of female children to dirty old men for goats.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5.2.1  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Veronica @5.2    6 years ago

I wouldn't settle for anything less than two goats for each of my daughters.

Veronica
Professor Guide
5.2.2  Veronica  replied to  Skrekk @5.2.1    6 years ago

Well, they must be something then (billy or nanny?)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Veronica @5.2.2    6 years ago

Oh, you must have at least one nanny. A billy goat is no good on his own. All he'll do is eat your flowers and shrubbery

Veronica
Professor Guide
5.2.4  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.3    6 years ago
A billy goat is no good on his own. All he'll do is eat your flowers and shrubbery

Huh, who knew.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Veronica @5.2.4    6 years ago

The nanny will, too, but she'll at least give you milk

Veronica
Professor Guide
5.2.6  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.5    6 years ago

Not sure about the milk, but love goat cheese.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.3  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @5    6 years ago

I'm waiting to see if biblical adherents actually try to defend the bible or biblical defense of pedophilia. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.3.1  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @5.3    6 years ago

You have hit on my single biggest issue with religious thinking.   Too many people resolve religious cognitive dissonance by vaporizing the contradiction.   In essence, all logical contradictions are deemed impossible when dealing with God.   Any contradiction recognized is presumed to be a contradiction in appearance only due to the inability of the human mind to comprehend the big picture (the domain of God).

It was another master stroke of religion to get people to think this way.   It keeps the religion whole by, in effect, dismantling critical thinking. 

In result, when some (most?) are presented with even blatant contradictions, the result is usually silence.   If not silence the next most common approach (in my observation) is obfuscation (straw man arguments, changing the meaning of words, etc.).    Honest recognition of the contradiction and honest responses like (good point, I really do not know) is rare to the point of non-existence.

Note:  a truly remarkable example of this would be the observation that in the Bible God does not denounce slavery as immoral.   Indeed, God seems to go along with slavery even to the point of making rules for proper enslavement of fellow human beings.   The defense of a God making rules prohibiting weaving fabrics woven from two different materials but never denouncing slavery is remarkable to behold.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.3.2  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @5.3.1    6 years ago

What's even more remarkable and even appalling are those who defend or justify a god that condones slavery, commits murder, ect., with rationalizations along the lines of "because it's god and god can do what he wants. Who are we to question god?" Any rational or sane person would question why they should worship a god that condones slavery, kills, unleashes plagues, ect.. But religion causes some people to abandon all rational and critical thinking, to the point that they are mental slaves to religion or religious doctrine. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6  Jeremy Retired in NC    6 years ago
Somehow this no longer seems like news:

Because it's not news.  The church normalized pedophilia decades ago.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
6.1  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6    6 years ago

And apparently the GOP normalized racism about 50 years ago.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Skrekk @6.1    6 years ago

Racism was a Democrat construct going all the way back to the 1800's.  Remember it was Democrats that didn't want to give up their slaves, hence the civil war.  It was Democrats that developed Jim Crow laws.  It was Democrats that gave birth to the KKK.  

But you keep along with your delusion.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
6.1.2  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6.1.1    6 years ago

It's definitely a conservative thing anyway - 150 years ago it was conservative southern Dems, but today it's the GOP.    That's why the KKK phone-banked for our new Fuhrer, the King of the Birthers who has a history of refusing to rent to black folks.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @6.1.2    6 years ago

Wow, you live in a country with a Fuhrer? 

Then why do you bitch so much about America?

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.4  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.3    6 years ago

The first step in fixing the problem is identifying it and starting to formulate a solution.

Why do you defend crimes such as pedophilia and racism?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @6.1.4    6 years ago

Rather obvious he doesn't live here--he has a Fuhrer!

And feel free to repost any post where I have defended pedophilia or racism.

You know, to prove your lie.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
6.1.6  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  epistte @6.1.4    6 years ago
The first step in fixing the problem is identifying it and starting to formulate a solution.

The Texas GOP has identified the real problem:

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @6.1.6    6 years ago

Glad we can agree that liberals are a problem!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @6.1.6    6 years ago

And if that particular road doesn't suit them, they can also take I-10, 20, or 30, or I-35.East, west, north, or south--take your pick!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @6.1.4    6 years ago

hmmm...no proof?

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.10  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.5    6 years ago

Don't be intellectually dishonest and obtuse. You know full well the Shrekk is referring to the many dictatorial ideas of Donald Trump when he called him the Fuhrer. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @6.1.10    6 years ago

Don't EVER fucking lecture me on honesty. I am still waiting proof for your slanderous and highly ignorant statement I defended pedophiles and racism.

Since you can't do it, you should retract your statement if you want me to think you have any integrity.

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.12  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.11    6 years ago
Don't EVER fucking lecture me on honesty. I am still waiting proof for your slanderous and highly ignorant statement I defended pedophiles and racism.

Conservative voters do not seem not to have a problem with people like this guy, candidates such as Art Jones from Illinois who is openly a member of the Neo-Nazis and other Republicans who espouse such bigoted and hateful ideas as the Klan, or racism/bigotry hiding behind religious belief.  Apparently in the GOP supporting the party is more important than criminal activity and equal rights for all.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @6.1.12    6 years ago

Deleted,  skirting  {SP}

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @6.1.12    6 years ago

You need to retract your slanderous statement.

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.15  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.14    6 years ago
You need to retract your slanderous statement.

I did not slander you personally. I was referring to the actions/platforms of the entire GOP. If you took it personally, then you apparently have a guilty conscience. That possibility is not my problem. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @6.1.15    6 years ago

Like hell you did.

6.1.4 epistte replied to Texan1211 @6.1.3 2 days ago
Why do you defend crimes such as pedophilia and racism?

if you have any integrity--retract your SLANDEROUS statement.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @6.1.15    6 years ago

Until you retract your slanderous statement--don't respond to me. Got it?

Do I need to be clearer?

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     6 years ago

''Milato'' Ah a graduate of the Betsy DeVos home schooling group.

What can you say other than being a sick/bigoted/racist/pedophile he seems like a OK guy. /s

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @7    6 years ago

The school systems were doing pretty well inmost states, and looking forward to expanding the technologies. However, with the dimwit Devos as the helm of the education system it is falling apart and failing our students as never before. Like most all of Trumps appointees she is totally unfit and unqualified for her position, and proves it more everyday. The hardships on our Teachers both pay wise and in the class rooms is shameful, to say the least.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
7.1.1  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Raven Wing @7.1    6 years ago

How much lurnin do children need beyond the Old Testament anyway?

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Skrekk @7.1.1    6 years ago
How much lurnin do children need beyond the Old Testament anyway?

And that is why some types of Christianity are mind altering organizations. The younger they start their mind altering program the easier it is for them to control their masses. This program takes priority over all other subjects. 

luther28
Sophomore Silent
8  luther28    6 years ago

Cuz the bible tells me so.

Too bad there is not a passage that encourages folks of this ilk to jump off the nearest rooftop. Although based on the applications of the bible of late, I am sure someone can find an interpretation that is close enough.

More hypocrisy.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  luther28 @8    6 years ago

I dunno...I think that verse about if thy right eye offend thee pluck it out should work.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.2  Gordy327  replied to  luther28 @8    6 years ago

I've actually had christians tell me they base their views and opinions on various issues based on "because the bible tells me." It's as if they're incapable of thinking for themselves and they need someone to think for them.

Veronica
Professor Guide
9  Veronica    6 years ago

In my many years of experience...(crone here) I have learned that if it is a girl that this happens to it is all fine & dandy to many of these people.  Because that is what females were created for.  On the other hand a young boy - oh no - it is an abomination.  All I have to do is look back on the Catholic Church issue.  Many people I spoke with were appalled more about the male alter servers being molested than the female alter servers being molested or women of the parish that were sexually assaulted or taken advantage of by priests.  The more things change the more they stay the same.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
9.1  luther28  replied to  Veronica @9    6 years ago

Not here, pedophilia is the worst of crimes, the maximum penalty should be applied regardless of victim gender.

Veronica
Professor Guide
9.1.1  Veronica  replied to  luther28 @9.1    6 years ago

Glad to hear that.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
10  lennylynx    6 years ago

Christianity, the last refuge of a pedophile...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  lennylynx @10    6 years ago

Um...there's lots of pedophiles in the Islamic and Jewish communities, too

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
10.1.1  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.1    6 years ago

Pretty much anywhere there are authority figures with access to children, so it's not surprising that apart from family members the offender is so often clergy, a cop or a teacher.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
11  lady in black    6 years ago

Disgusting vile poor excuse of a human being.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1  Tessylo  replied to  lady in black @11    6 years ago
'Disgusting vile poor excuse of a human being.'

Same for most of the gop unfortunately.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
11.1.1  lady in black  replied to  Tessylo @11.1    6 years ago

Unfortunately you are correct.  

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
12  mocowgirl    6 years ago

I found this TEDTalk to be enlightening and inspiring.

Seek first to understand.  

I am posting this here in the hope that many of you will share this video with others at times and places where you feel it would be appropriate.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  mocowgirl @12    6 years ago

I went to high school with a person who was raised male, but is now female.  She was intersex at birth, and her parents and doctors decided it would be best to raise her as male.  In her late 30s/early 40s, the testosterone supplements needed to maintain masculinity began to cause severe heart disease, and doctors recommended discontinuing the supplements.  After that, female traits started to assert themselves, so she transitioned.

She was an engineer.  Several years after her transition, she posted on Facebook about how much harder her job was.  Not the work itself.  The interpersonal stuff.  She said that when she'd been male, nobody ever felt the need to question her work or double check her math.  Her competence was just assumed.  Now, she has to prove her competence over and over, because her incompetence is assumed.  People still think girls can't math.

I get it sometimes, too, and over silly stuff.  The coaches were lining the baseball field for my son's practice a few weeks ago.  They couldn't remember whether they were to measure the base paths from the center of home plate, or the rear corner.  I told them it was the rear corner.  Then they went around asking the other parents (all dads, as it happened).  One of the coaches just rolled his eyes and asked the others why they were asking again, as I'd already answered their question, and correctly.  He knew the answer, too, and I'd just said it before he did.  He'd already started to measure, from the rear corner.

As a matter of practicality, who tries to measure from the center of a pentagon? Eye Roll  But girls don't know anything about baseball, either.

epistte
Junior Guide
12.1.1  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @12.1    6 years ago

She was an engineer.  Several years after her transition, she posted on Facebook about how much harder her job was.  Not the work itself.  The interpersonal stuff.  She said that when she'd been male, nobody ever felt the need to question her work or double check her math.  Her competence was just assumed.  Now, she has to prove her competence over and over, because her incompetence is assumed.  People still think girls can't math.

This attitide toward women is SOP in engineering. You need to be able to see the flaws in someone else's work just to keep your own.  You cannot be just as good as your male co-workers, but you need to be better than them, just to be seen as competent because engineering continues to be an old boys club. It drives many women away. 25% of women with engineering degrees leave the field because of harassment on various levels.   Then they call you a man-hating bitch because of your attitude.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
12.1.2  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  sandy-2021492 @12.1    6 years ago

Hopefully the practice of needless intervention in intersex cases is coming to an end.    There's the famous and tragic case of David Reimer which isn't intersex or transgender per se but it reveals the serious risk of the parents and doctors making these GRS decisions before a child's gender identity is known and before they can make the decision for themselves whether to have GRS.    Reimer's penis was mutilated as an infant by a botched circumcision and he was then given GRS and raised as a girl.    Of course that didn't match his gender identity so chaos resulted and he killed himself at 38.    It's an especially notorious case due to the additional aspects of academic fraud and unethical human experimentation.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
12.1.3  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  sandy-2021492 @12.1    6 years ago

Also you might be interested in this hour-long PBS program about gender identity which includes a discussion with a transgender male medical research scientist who transitioned mid career and thus personally experienced the differential treatment between men and women at the professional level.    It's a very well done and informative program.......although we now know that the host was a serial sexual harasser of women.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
12.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  epistte @12.1.1    6 years ago

There's a young woman next to me that's an Engineer Supervisor. She has to put up with this old fart who can barely hear and constantly argues with her. Fortunately, the other men she supervises seem to respect her.

I work with mostly men. For the most part they are all pretty good guys but there are a few who make it their business to talk down to you or find some way of making you uncomfortable. There seems to be this unspoken thing that if I don't kiss their asses I won't get the information I need to do my job. And that shit pisses me off. I don't have to like you or even say good morning to you to work with you.

epistte
Junior Guide
12.1.5  epistte  replied to  Trout Giggles @12.1.4    6 years ago
I work with mostly men. For the most part they are all pretty good guys but there are a few who make it their business to talk down to you or find some way of making you uncomfortable. There seems to be this unspoken thing that if I don't kiss their asses I won't get the information I need to do my job. And that shit pisses me off. I don't have to like you or even say good morning to you to work with you.

I had a great boss when I worked for GM and loved that job. The fact that the people above him were mindless suits with MBAs who knew next to nothing about the car business. Everything was just numbers on a page to them to be optimized on a 90-day projection report. Those morons could not manage a lemonade stand in Phoenix and make a profit. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  epistte @12.1.1    6 years ago
This attitide toward women is SOP in engineering.

I'm not surprised.  When I was in undergrad, the classes I had as a biology major that overlapped with the physics majors' classes were filled with chauvinists who were surprised when I could pull an "A" in Organic Chem.  How flattering.

And in dental school, one oral surgery resident told one of my female classmates that women only went to dental school to find husbands.  Yes, you jackass, we went tens of thousands into debt and muddled through semesters in which we took 37 credit hours just to get our "Mrs." degree.  Especially when the pickings seem to include tools like you.

Ok, rant over.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12.1.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  Skrekk @12.1.2    6 years ago
Hopefully the practice of needless intervention in intersex cases is coming to an end.

I hope so.  At the time, that was just what was done.  I don't think the dangers were recognized back then - would have been early 70s.  And this woman made no mention of having felt like she was the wrong gender when male.  I honestly had no clue when we were growing up that this was the case.  Then, she seemed like a fairly typical nerdy teenage boy - into building stuff, Dungeons and Dragons, etc.

Sadly, when she had to transition, she was run out of our hometown by threats of violence to her family.

epistte
Junior Guide
12.1.8  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @12.1.6    6 years ago
Yes, you jackass, we went tens of thousands into debt and muddled through semesters in which we took 37 credit hours just to get our "Mrs." degree.

I got the same thing in college. If you have every seen 75% of mechanical, electrical, civil, or electrical engineers you would not consider them to be prime marriage material, unless you are the kind of person who watches The Big Bang Theory for the beefcake.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12.1.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  epistte @12.1.8    6 years ago
unless you are the kind of person who watches The Big Bang Theory for the beefcake.

laughing dude