╌>

The Left's Ideas for Saving America's Soul Are Instead About Selling It

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  heartland-american  •  6 years ago  •  43 comments

The Left's Ideas for Saving America's Soul Are Instead About Selling It

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

When I was young, the American Right was the group most associated with trying to legislate morality. Now, decades later, the tides have changed. The left is trying to use its morality as a bludgeon to force people to submit to their progressive politics.

An op-ed at the Salt Lake Tribune presents  seven ways to "save America's soul," a claim that certain moral choices are the only way to protect America's goodness. The piece completely ignores the moral arguments against these seven, trying to make the case that Leftism can't be debated because the opposition is inherently evil by definition.

I'm going to address each one. From the op-ed:

1. Abortion rights for women must be supported. While abortions should be legal and rare, the solution is to make unwanted pregnancy rare. Quality sex education in school and easy access to contraception would help. Let’s put abortion clinics out of business by taking away the need for them!

Let's start with a bang.

Look, I'd like to see the demand for abortion reduced to zero. However, let's also face the fact that abortion activists aren't actually working toward making abortion unnecessary. They're encouraging people to get abortions, and demanding the American taxpayer help foot the bill.

Contraception is already  incredibly easy to access.

County health clinics provide birth control pills for those who can't afford them, though they are available at pharmacies for less than $10 a month. Condoms can be found inexpensively in every drug store in the country, and are also provided for free at clinics.

How much "easier" could the access possibly be?

And yet, there's still a demand for abortion.

So let's not pretend that supporting abortion rights has anything to do with eliminating them.

2. There can be no compromise on equal rights for all. Everyone should have equal rights and protection under the law!

The problem, of course, is that the Left simply does not want equal rights. They want superior rights granted based on DNA.

They lash out at men or "whiteness" for causing whatever ills they decide are relevant at that moment, calling for  men to lose their jobs and even property simply because of their existence.

These people don't want equal rights. They want to reverse the sins of the past by creating new state-enforced inequality, so they can exact some form of revenge.

How is that good for America's soul?

3. With immigration, there are areas for compromise. But like abortion, let’s reduce the need for immigration. Most people who want to immigrate are doing it for economic and security reasons. Instead of them fleeing bad situations, let’s do a better job of helping those people and their governments with these issues. Foreign aid for these kinds of projects has been decreasing. That is shortsighted. Good people are leaving these bad situations. Let’s help them stay and make those countries more successful!  

I'm sorry, but their problems are not going to be fixed by our foreign aid. Their problems will instead be subsidized.

Recovery after a natural disaster is one thing. But places that have managed to destroy themselves, like Venezuela, aren't places we need to devote our resources to. Countries that have squandered their own resources to such a degree that they are now destitute will not be helped whatsoever by foreign aid.

This is called "enabling," and it's never a good thing.

4. Climate change has been studied for more than 40 years, and a consensus that it is human caused has existed for more than 20 years. The last-breath argument against human-caused climate change seems to be that it is some “natural cycle.” There is no “natural cycle” that can explain the degree and speed of the warming we have seen the past 40 years. While there are ways that the Earth can cool quickly -- think nuclear winter, large asteroid impact or very large volcanic activity -- no such mechanism exists for sudden warming. It is time to move aggressively and quickly into solution mode.

Nearly none of the above is true.

Climate change models have been spectacularly wrong at predicting the present, and even the past. There is no consensus, and no data to support one. It's time that scientists figure out exactly what the hell they're talking about before they further destroy entire economies. Especially since the climate  has changed throughout the millennia, and nothing occurring right now is even out of the ordinary, let alone unprecedented.

width="300" height="250" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0">

How does reversing progress and modernity save anyone's soul?

5. The bottom line for gun control is that all sales of guns must have background checks and automatic weapons must be illegal.

Good news! Automatic weapons are already illegal. Since 1935!
As for background checks, most all legal gun sales already require them.
The sales you have to be worried about are black-market sales that already bypass the law. Pro tip: Those will keep happening even if you ban them again.
Feel-good efforts proposed by know-nothings that can't possibly prevent crime won't do anything for America's soul. In fact, they are the kind of authoritarianism that invariably leads to the most immoral societies.

6. While the Affordable Care Act had its problems, it was much better than where we are going now. Medicare for all is the simplest and most efficient solution. While there is room for how to get there, it is time for America to catch up with the rest of the advanced world in supporting health care as a right!

There's so much wrong in this one point that many books have been written to disprove  it all.
Universal health care, regardless of what label you slap on it, ultimately requires massive, and ever-increasing spending by the government to provide subpar health care -- it creates rationing, which quite literally means death panels. If watching the UK's NHS and judicial system not only refuse to treat an ill child, but also refuse to allow the parents to take the child elsewhere to get treatment didn't convince you that universal health care is inherently monstrous, then you have a problem.
That is the future of any universal health care scheme. Health care is not a right, but a service provided by people, so creating unlimited demand requires rationing. If it's controlled by the government, which has no competition, the situation can't possibly innovate and improve. A system that will force people to die and forbid their treatment simply because it's more cost effective is not how you save a nation's soul.

7. The last tax package has produced an unsustainable deficit whose impact will likely fall mostly on the young (they will be paying the interest and the principal), the poor and the elderly. There are reasonable compromises in both taxes and a sustainable safety net, but they will only be found if there is a return to more balance of power in our legislative branch. One area where the economic safety net needs to be expanded and strengthened is for those adversely affected by the move away from fossil fuels. Not only could carbon fees reduce CO2 production, but a part of those fees could be directed toward helping those people and their communities.

Only a liberal would think that allowing people to keep the money they earn is a sin. I honestly don't need to offer anything else on that one.
But this is what progressives think. This is what they call morality. Taking money from people to do things that may or may not benefit anyone, simply because they think they are wiser, and should be allowed to experiment with our lives. At the end of the day, the Left wants to return to a tiered society of unequal power and restricted rights. Imposing that on people is the definition of immoral.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

“Only a liberal would think that allowing people to keep the money they earn is a sin. I honestly don't need to offer anything else on that one.

deleted

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    6 years ago

To see what was deleted in the quote from the seeded article, please refer to the article itself for the fine point made.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    6 years ago

America has no soul.  Conservatism, Supply Side Economics and it's bastard baby, Citizens United murdered it.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  bbl-1 @2    6 years ago

Conservatives are America’s soul.  We are the conscience of America .  We defend the honor of our fine country.  America is a shining city on a hill a light to the rest of the world.  Our country is an exceptional nation deleted

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  arkpdx  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    6 years ago

applause

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.2  lennylynx  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    6 years ago
"America is a shining city on a hill a light to the rest of the world."

Well, it was until Trump got elected... 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  bbl-1  replied to  lennylynx @2.1.2    6 years ago

No.  Reagan's 'shining city crap' was the bait and switch as he brought SSE and the Contra 'freedom fighters' money flush to America. 

Every social and economic advance was brought by liberal policies.  Conservatives stood in the way of every single one and continue to this day. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  lennylynx @2.1.2    6 years ago

No. It resumed our rightful status after obama hid our light under a bushel so we could blindly lead from behind for eight years.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    6 years ago

Such delusions of grandeur. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.6  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.5    6 years ago

Do all progressives presume America to be delusions of grandeur?  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.6    6 years ago
Do all progressives presume America to be delusions of grandeur?  

Nice deflection. Perhaps you should read my post again. Maybe you'll actually get it. Or maybe not.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  bbl-1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.4    6 years ago

Conservatism has 'no rightful status.'  Conservatism's only basis is built on deceit and fraud.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1.8    6 years ago

Hey, did you ever find any stats on foreign-run businesses started with foreign investments?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.10  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.9    6 years ago

Did you?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1.10    6 years ago

No, I did not.

Of course, I didn't make the claim that the majority of businesses started in the US were foreign run with foreign investments, either.

I do believe it was you who offered that unsubstantiated opinion.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.12  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.11    6 years ago

Check it out yourself.  I will not do it for you.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1.12    6 years ago

I just told you--I did. I could find nothing to support your notion that what you said is even remotely true.

I know this game--you'll say something outlandish (check),, I'll ask you to prove it (check), then you'll come back with "look it up yourself! (check), and then I'll say this is what so many people do--make outlandish statements, get called out, be unable to prove their outlandish statement, try to shift the burden of proof onto the opponent, then blame opponent when their outlandish statement can't be proven. Check.

Then you'll disappear for a few days.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.14  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.13    6 years ago

One clue and goodbye.  The Mercedes plants in the US are foreign owned through foreign investment.

Pay attention...………..jfc.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1.14    6 years ago

Wow.

You cite ONE business in support of your outlandish statement that the MAJORITY of new businesses are ran by foreigners and with foreign investments?

Seriously, dude?

That is freaking hilarious!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.16  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.15    6 years ago

?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.17  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.13    6 years ago

You summed it all up exactly right.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1.16    6 years ago

So now you pretend you don't understand English?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.19  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1.16    6 years ago

And do they bring in foreign workers to operate the factories these investments create?  

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2.1.20  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.19    6 years ago
do they bring in foreign workers to operate the factories these investments create?

......I sure as Hell would !!

I figure whats profitable and right for the billionaire president is probably the way to go. Why reinvent the wheel ?

Trump’s “Winter White House” has applied to hire 21 cooks from other countries to work at the resort from October to May. The Palm Beach, Fla., club also wants to hire 40 foreigners for wait-staff positions.

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    6 years ago

Blah, blah. blah

Liberals bad

Blah, blah, blah

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ender @3    6 years ago

Well confession is good for the soul. Consider yourself on the first step toward self healing.  

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Ender  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1    6 years ago

Some may think this is cute. To me it looks desperate.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ender @3.1.1    6 years ago

Liberals are desperate in the face of the American economy during the Trump Presidency.  

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    6 years ago
the Left wants to return to a tiered society of unequal power and restricted rights.

I have noticed that when the right says things like this, they are usually doing it themselves.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ender @4    6 years ago

It is the left that attempts to impose itself and its ideas upon the rest of us.  

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Ender  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1    6 years ago

Uh huh, sure.

Taxes bad, guns good...skip...taxes bad, guns good...skip...taxes bad, guns good...

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1    6 years ago
It is the left that attempts to impose itself and its ideas upon the rest of us.  

Remind me, which group, the "Left" or, the "Right", was it that tried to "legislate" a woman's vagina in Virginia? If I remember correctly, it was the Right.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ender @4.1.1    6 years ago

Excessive taxes are bad and gun rights under the constitution are good.  I’m glad you’ve finally got it!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1.4  bbl-1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1    6 years ago

Conservatism has 'no ideals.'  Tax cuts and toll booths for roads and bridges are not freedom or prosperity.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago
1. Abortion rights for women must be supported. While abortions should be legal and rare, the solution is to make unwanted pregnancy rare. Quality sex education in school and easy access to contraception would help. Let’s put abortion clinics out of business by taking away the need for them!

Then why does the Right support abolishing Planned Parenthood? This is what they have been working toward for decades. 

Let's start with a bang.
Look, I'd like to see the demand for abortion reduced to zero. However, let's also face the fact that abortion activists aren't actually working toward making abortion unnecessary.

Bullshit.

They're encouraging people to get abortions, and demanding the American taxpayer help foot the bill.

Again Bullshit.

Contraception is already incredibly easy to access.
County health clinics provide birth control pills for those who can't afford them,

Again, why is the Right trying to cut the funding for this?

though they are available at pharmacies for less than $10 a month. Condoms can be found inexpensively in every drug store in the country, and are also provided for free at clinics.
How much "easier" could the access possibly be?

Access is easy but, again the Right is trying to stop this with laws that say that a parent must be informed if a child seeks contraception and, when I say a child I mean a child of sexually acceptable age.

And yet, there's still a demand for abortion.

There are many reasons for this, one is the one that I listed above about the Rights need to legislate who can get it and, when, ie, informing the parent. Another is incest, another is a woman's health and, the  list can go on.

So let's not pretend that supporting abortion rights has anything to do with eliminating them.

This makes no sense.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago
2. There can be no compromise on equal rights for all. Everyone should have equal rights and protection under the law!

Exactly right, on this we agree so, tell me, why do you support a president and, a party that don't think everyone deserves equal rights?

The problem, of course, is that the Left simply does not want equal rights. They want superior rights granted based on DNA.

Bullshit.

They lash out at men or "whiteness" for causing whatever ills they decide are relevant at that moment, calling for men to lose their jobs and even propertysimply because of their existence.

No, they call for people who have shown that they don't respect the rights of others to lose their jobs, they call for racists in positions of power to lose their jobs.

These people don't want equal rights. They want to reverse the sins of the past by creating new state-enforced inequality, so they can exact some form of revenge.

Only in the minds of those who want to take away the rights of others by saying that their personal rights matter most and, those "others" don't deserve the same rights.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago
Nearly none of the above is true.
Climate change models have been spectacularly wrong at predicting the present, and even the past. There is no consensus, and no data to support one. It's time that scientists figure out exactly what the hell they're talking about before they further destroy entire economies. Especially since the climate haschanged throughout the millennia, and nothing occurring right now is even out of the ordinary, let alone unprecedented.

bull.jpg shit.jpg

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago
Only a liberal would think that allowing people to keep the money they earn is a sin. I honestly don't need to offer anything else on that one.
But this is what progressives think. This is what they call morality. Taking money from people to do things that may or may not benefit anyone, simply because they think they are wiser, and should be allowed to experiment with our lives. At the end of the day, the Left wants to return to a tiered society of unequal power and restricted rights. Imposing that on people is the definition of immoral.

OK, oh wise one, tell us, how do we pay for our military, which Congress has increased the budget on today and, our roads, bridges, airports, parks, tunnels, police forces, fire departments, etc., etc. without taxes. In case you didn't know it, that is were the money comes from to pay for this stuff, it is called revenue. Look it up.

Ender
Professor Principal
8.1  Ender  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @8    6 years ago

Yep. They just raised the defense bill to over 700 billion.

In my state they just closed over 100 bridges because they were unsafe/deficient.

But by all means the 10 percent need their capital gains tax cuts and corporations need to keep more of their money.

Then they have the nerve to say that people shouldn't be able to have decent healthcare unless they can afford it.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @8    6 years ago

No one denies that we need some taxes.  The key 🔑 is to find the right rate that brings in the most revenues and that is what Trump is doing.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.2.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.2    6 years ago
The key 🔑 is to find the right rate that brings in the most revenues and that is what Trump is doing.

No, Trump is giving himself and, his buddies tax cuts out the yang and, you and, I are the ones who are going to pay for it, in the end.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.2.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @8.2.1    6 years ago

Actually all Americans except the very rich are getting tax cuts.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.2.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.2.2    6 years ago
Actually all Americans except the very rich are getting tax cuts.  

Catch up,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/04/14/trump-wants-to-give-the-rich-a-big-tax-cut-heres-what-his-supporters-want/?utm_term=.cb9a5f30f826