╌>

High-stakes Ohio election just got closer after county finds hundreds of uncounted votes

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  spikegary  •  6 years ago  •  30 comments

High-stakes Ohio election just got closer after county finds hundreds of uncounted votes

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Correction: The number of votes found is 588.  

COLUMBUS – The tight race between Democrat Danny O'Connor and Republican Troy Balderson just got tighter.

Election officials in Franklin County found 588 previously uncounted votes in a Columbus suburb. The result: O'Connor had a net gain of 190 votes, bringing the race's margin down to 1,564.

"The votes from a portion of one voting location had not been processed into the tabulation system," according to a Franklin County Board of Elections news release.

Balderson declared victory Tuesday night in the closely watched congressional district race in central Ohio. But O'Connor says he's waiting for all votes to be counted.

That includes 3,435 provisional ballots and 5,048 absentee ballots, which will be tabulated by Aug. 24.

Balderson is backed by President Donald Trump and Ohio Gov. John Kasich. The race was surprisingly close for a district that Trump won by 11 percentage points in 2016 and Republicans have held for decades. 

If the final results show a margin of 0.5 percent or less, state election officials will hold an automatic recount. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  Spikegary    6 years ago

How in God's name do you accidnetally lose, then find hundreds of ballots?  Aren't they using electronic voting machines?  For the conspiracy minded, seems like, well, the vote is close, better go get those other votes out of the closet and turn them in......how does the election board figure out if these are actually in fact, valid votes, not something made up by someone with an agenda?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.1  arkpdx  replied to  Spikegary @1    6 years ago

It worked for the democrats in the first gregoire/rossi governors races. The democrats is Seattle kept finding "uncounted votes" there until their candidate squeaked out the "win" 

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Krishna  replied to  arkpdx @1.1    6 years ago

It worked for the democrats in the first gregoire/rossi governors races. The democrats is Seattle kept finding "uncounted votes" there until their candidate squeaked out the "win" 

Yes, that's the bad news. 

But the good news is that Republican officials would never, ever, do anything like that-- its the democrats who do that-- all the time!

(Republicans? ...Never!!! :-)

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Spikegary @1    6 years ago

588 total - 190 for O'Conner = 398 left for Balderson.

That would mean, at least in the "Real World" thinking of mine ...… Balderson got even more votes than O'Conner. 

Hmmmmm….Am I stupid Makes No Sense , or shouldn't the real headline be that O'Conner actually LOST ground ?

bccrane
Freshman Silent
1.2.1  bccrane  replied to  It Is ME @1.2    6 years ago

Actually it says a gain of 190 more than half, but even if the other ballots to be counted yet hold the same percentage, Balderson still wins, but may cause an automatic recount.  The recount will commence with the search of all the car trunks in the state.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.2.2  It Is ME  replied to  bccrane @1.2.1    6 years ago
Actually it says a gain of 190 more than half,

190 is NOT more than half of 588.

If 190 IS more than half of actual.....where did the other votes go ?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @1.2.2    6 years ago
190 is NOT more than half of 588.

"The result: O'Connor had a net gain of 190 votes"

Net: adjective - free from all charges or deductions.

So I know it's hard for some to understand math, but with a "net gain of 190" that means he "gained" on his opponent by 190 votes. So the math would be 199 votes for Balderson and 389 votes for O'Connor out of 588 found. It's really not that hard of a math problem, I think my 9 year old would be able to figure that one out if I gave her a minute.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.2.4  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2.3    6 years ago
"The result: O'Connor had a net gain of 190 votes"

Out of how many votes found ? Face Palm

Do the actual math calculation for me won't you ?

like I said....I must be Stupid....and I like "Learning" here.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2.5  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @1.2.4    6 years ago
Do the actual math calculation for me won't you ?

"Election officials in Franklin County found 588 previously uncounted votes in a Columbus suburb. The result: O'Connor had a net gain of 190 votes, bringing the race's margin down to 1,564."

That gives us all the information we need to do the math.

That tells us that the margin in the race between Balderson and O'Connor was 1,754 in favor of Balderson.

They found 588 votes. O'Connor had a "net gain" of 190 making the new margin between them 1,564. (1,754 minus 190).

So if O'Connor gained 190, then he got 190 more of the 588 votes than his opponent. 588 minus 190 is 398 which would be the amount they split evenly. 398 divided by 2 = 199. Then you add the 190 vote gain (190+199) and you get 389 votes.

389 votes for O'Connor plus 199 votes for Balderson equals 588, thus a 190 vote gain for O'Connor.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2.5    6 years ago

I don't think it matter who won, the voting was a virtual tie.  Not good news for the GOP. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.2.7  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2.5    6 years ago

Thanks ! Thinking 2

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.2.8  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.6    6 years ago
I don't think it matter who won, the voting was a virtual tie.  Not good news for the GOP. 

Isn't Balderson still winning in this short election cycle ? I'm sure you know it starts all over again in November, so whomever wins, they are going to have to do it ALL over again.

I'm not too verklempt over this shorty.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2.9  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @1.2.8    6 years ago
Isn't Balderson still winning in this short election cycle ?

Yes, but in a district Trump won by 11 points, a razor thin win by Republicans is not good news for them. It demonstrates how Republican support in Ohio's 12th has dramatically waned in the last two years by at least 10 percentage points which is a huge swing in a district that has been reliably Republican for over 30 years. That is, as John points out, "Not good news for the GOP".

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2.9    6 years ago

We've heard for the last 10 years now how dead the GOP is.

Amazingly, the dead party somehow managed to win over 1000 seats from Democrats in that time.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.2.11  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.10    6 years ago
We've heard for the last 10 years now how dead the GOP is. Amazingly, the dead party somehow managed to win over 1000 seats from Democrats in that time.

Balderson is "winning" in a district were the last rep. from there took the election and, ran away with it for years, decades even. Last election that rep took it by over 30 points.

U.S. House of Representatives
General

Pat Tiberi
Republican
66.56%

Ed Albertson
Democratic
29.84%

66.56 - 29.84=36.72

And, Trumps boy is only ahead by less than one percent, that's a big shift in a district that has been Republican since 1987.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.2.11    6 years ago

So it makes a difference what you win by now?

Or is it still winner take all?

Do they give out Congressional seats for "almost won"??

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.2.13  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.12    6 years ago
So it makes a difference what you win by now?

Or is it still winner take all?

Do they give out Congressional seats for "almost won"??

It ain't over until the "fat lady" sings and, she's still warming up.

Voters in Ohio’s 12th District are choosing a replacement for Representative Pat Tiberi, a Republican who resigned to work for a business group. The candidates are Troy Balderson, a Republican endorsed last week by Mr. Trump, and Danny O’Connor, a Democrat.
The race is still too close to call, with 3,435 provisional ballots that have yet to be counted. Ohio law calls for an automatic recount if the two candidates are ultimately separated by less than half a percentage point.

Those extra ballots could force a recount or, could put O'Conner over what he needs to win.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.14  Texan1211  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.2.13    6 years ago

They could, if he gets enough votes.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.2.15  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.14    6 years ago

And, elections,

Chapter 3515: RECOUNT; CONTEST OF ELECTIONS
3515.01 Eligibility for recount.

Any person for whom votes were cast in a primary election for nomination as a candidate for election to an office who was not declared nominated may file with the board of elections of a county a written application for a recount of the votes cast at such primary election in any precinct in such county for all persons for whom votes were cast in such precinct for such nomination.
Any person who was a candidate at a general, special, or primary election for election to an office or position who was not declared elected may file with the board of a county a written application for a recount of the votes cast at such election in any precinct in such county for all candidates for election to such office or position.
Any group of five or more qualified electors may file with the board of a county a written application for a recount of the votes cast at an election in any precinct in such county upon any question or issue, provided that the members of such group shall state in such application either that they voted "Yes" or in favor of such question or issue and that such question or issue was declared defeated or rejected, or that they voted "No" or against such question or issue and that such question or issue was declared carried or adopted. Such group of electors shall, in such application, designate one of the members of the group as chairman, and shall indicate therein the voting residence of each member of such group. In all such applications the person designated as chairman is the applicant for the purposes of sections 3515.01 to 3515.07 of the Revised Code, and all notices required by section 3515.03 of the Revised Code to be given to an applicant for a recount shall be given to such person.
In the recount of absentee ballots that are tallied by county instead of by precinct, as provided in section 3509.06 of the Revised Code, the county shall be considered a separate precinct for purposes of recounting such absentee ballots.
Effective Date: 09-23-1974 .
3515.011 Recounts ordered by board.

If the number of votes cast in any county or municipal election for the declared winning nominee, candidate, question, or issue does not exceed the number of votes cast for the declared defeated nominee, candidate, question, or issue by a margin of one-half of one per cent or more of the total vote, the appropriate board of elections shall order a recount which shall be conducted as provided in sections 3515.04 and 3515.05 of the Revised Code.
If the number of votes cast in any district election for the declared winning nominee, candidate, question, or issue does not exceed the number of votes cast for the declared defeated nominee, candidate, question, or issue by a margin of one-half of one per cent or more of the total vote, the secretary of state shall order a recount which shall be conducted as provided in sections 3515.04 and 3515.05 of the Revised Code.
If the number of votes cast in any statewide election for the declared winning nominee, candidate, question, or issue does not exceed the number of votes cast for the declared defeated nominee, candidate, question, or issue by a margin of one-fourth of one percent or more of the total vote, the secretary of state shall order a recount which shall be conducted as provided in sections 3515.04 and 3515.05 of the Revised Code.
Effective Date: 07-04-1984 .

This is how close the election is at this point. Those three thousand votes are what could bring this to this point.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.16  Texan1211  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.2.15    6 years ago

Yeah, I looked that shit up on election night.

If it comes to a recount, so what?

Just means it is close, which isn't being disputed.

Few recounts result in reversals.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.2.17  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.16    6 years ago
Few recounts result in reversals.

True but, some do, the point I've been making is, this seat has been Republican held since 1987 and, the Republicans who have run in this district have won by large margins...….until now.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.2.18  arkpdx  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.14    6 years ago

And thermonuclear weapons. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.19  Texan1211  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.2.17    6 years ago

Yeah, and the Blue Wall had held for a long time, too.

No big deal as long as you hold the seat.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.21  Texan1211  replied to  arkpdx @1.2.18    6 years ago

I don't think anyone will be around to verify that if a thermonuclear device is launched at a country.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.2.22  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  dennis smith @1.2.20    6 years ago
A loss is a loss. By saying it was closer than in previous elections is still a loss no matter how you try to spin it as a good thing.

One county found an extra 500 ballots that were cast today, most of them were for O'Connor, that cuts Baldersons lead and, there's still over 3000 ballots that haven't been counted yet, Balderson only leads by about a thousand votes.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.2.23  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.19    6 years ago
No big deal as long as you hold the seat.

That's just it, no one is holding this seat right now and, the way it looks it could still be the Democrat that takes it but, of course there will be another election there in November.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.2.24  arkpdx  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.21    6 years ago

That why close is good enough. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.2.25  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2.9    6 years ago

Seems every midterm, seats change for some reason or another. The back and forth has been going on for decades now.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1.3  A. Macarthur  replied to  Spikegary @1    6 years ago

"The votes from a portion of one voting location had not been processed into the tabulation system," according to a Franklin County Board of Elections news release.

And it's so refreshing to see Republicans concerned about fairness in elections.