╌>

Trump's pay freeze for federal workers may be his most cynical and self-destructive stunt yet

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  6 years ago  •  16 comments

Trump's pay freeze for federal workers may be his most cynical and self-destructive stunt yet
"Late Thursday, as I pondered weak and weary the results of a full day’s work, my Twitter feed suddenly became inundated with tweets all more or less on the following theme: 'Goodbye Barbara Comstock.'”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

trumpprotectorbudget.jpg

Late Thursday, as I pondered weak and weary the results of a full day’s work, my Twitter feed suddenly became inundated with tweets all more or less on the following theme:

“Goodbye Barbara Comstock.”

The name was new to me, but after a few moments searching online all became clear. Barbara Comstock is the Republican member of Congress representing a suburban Virginia district adjacent to Washington, D.C. And the leader of her party, President Trump, had just announced he was canceling pay raises for federal civilian employees due to kick in on Jan. 1. The bottom line is an effective pay cut for potentially thousands of Comstock’s constituents.

One almost has to admire Trump for his sheer crassness in making this announcement. He did so just days after he crowed in a tweet that the “ economy has never been better .” Yet he cited a law allowing him to cancel the raises in times of “ national emergency   or serious economic conditions.”

And he acted only two days before the start of Labor Day weekend.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

The announcement covers federal civilian workers who were due an automatic cost-of-living increase of 2.1% on Jan. 1. That didn’t even match the rate of annual inflation, which was 2.9%.

Nevertheless, Trump is cutting it to zero, which means he’s delivering to federal workers an effective wage reduction of nearly 3%.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

I've noticed a pattern he has: He really cares about his "base". At rallies they become wildly enthusiastic at his actions. They will remain forever loyal.

But outside of his base, he continually pisses off one group after another. More and more people are becoming annoyed at him. I can't help wonder how this will play out during the upcoming midterms?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

Interesting that this ''announcement'' was made just days before Labor Day. 

Today he attacked Trumka, President of the Teamsters on Labor Day...Great timing and quite ironic.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

The deficit is clearly the fault of over-paid federal employees.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
5  Colour Me Free    6 years ago

Okay and?

Timing is bad .. ? guess I cannot argue with that .. but what does the government employee do that is worth automatic raises?  When did their jobs become so much more important than the average American worker?

Locally city taxes are going up (glad I do not pay city tax) .. why one might ask (?) because the powers that be need raises .. a couple of city employees have refused to accept a pay increase at this time .. but the mayor wants his raise!  Fixed income folks are not happy, as there was a increase last year, I know that I would have to be planning ahead for a tax increase if they were happening annually (in the county 'we' usually get to vote on the tax increases) … (I know that is local government and off topic etc)

The number of employees affected by Trump’s action is a little unclear. Most commentaries late Thursday put the figure at 1.9 million, which means it must exclude postal workers, who number about 600,000. We’ll do the calculations both ways.

If the announcement covers all workers, then it affects wages totaling $237.3 billion this year. (Benefits add $99.9 billion more, but they aren’t affected.) If it’s non-postal workers only, then the total 2018 bill is $201.6 billion.

Apply 2.1% to those figures, and the cost-of-living adjustment for 2019 would cost the budget about $5 billion; non-postal employees only, and it would be $4.2 billion.

Granted, this amount of increase is pocket change for the government .. as they are the Robin Hoods of America - steal from the rich … and ooops … that is not how it works is it?  Damn'd it give them those raises they deserve the benefit packages .. would not want the federal employee to go without (even if most departments 'we' do not even know what they do all day.... and the workers wages, that are paying government wages are stagnant, have lost their jobs .. or...……………………!)  The feds have mortgages to pay and childcare expenses - they need that cost of living raise …. Ooo what was that?  'We all' have those expenses, ooo well never mind, the feds are more important, give them what they deserve!

Rather frustrating … for both sides of the coin I suppose - but amplified because it is Trump doing the evil deed?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

Yes it’s sad that the Fed intentionally caused this inflation. We knew quantitative easing would result in inflation and now their rate hikes are too slow to prevent the damage. The inflation hurts us all not just the federal workers. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
7  livefreeordie    6 years ago

Lefts insteadget rid of 40% of the non military federal workforce. Now that would be an effective means of reducing out of control Federal spending

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8  It Is ME    6 years ago

Why do Liberal types always want to make sure that Fed. Workers make money ? Thinking 2

6 workers, maybe two actually working.

Seen that numerous times over my life every time when I walk into a government run building.

"Money for NOTHING" ! Makes No Sense

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
9  1stwarrior    6 years ago

Worked for the Feds for 33 years and, yes, a reduction in force is drastically needed.  Way too many playing games on computers, taking lengthy smoke/relaxation breaks, texting, and specifically "wandering" around with a notepad/Ipad looking like they're doing something.  As a supervisor, tried to fire four employees who, seriously, were napping on the job.  Had witness reports, previous documentation and plenty of pictures.  Never happened 'cause the "system" won't let it happen.

But, a "reasonable" pay increase is needed in many of the fields - not all of them.  During the Bush and Obama years, we went for seven (7) years combined without a pay increase.  Granted we received the paltry 1.1% or the huge 1.3% increases twice - while the military received their 2.8% and 3.1%.  So, in addition to receiving med/pension at no charge to them, those of us who were performing the same jobs, putting in the same or more hours with less actual qualified employees supposedly supporting us, we kept falling behind in salary and benefits.  So, yes, a reasonable pay increase is needed.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
9.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  1stwarrior @9    6 years ago
So, yes, a reasonable pay increase is needed.

If we make it so we can get rid of the dead weight perhaps those losers pay could be spread around and the people who actually do their jobs would be paid what their job is worth. 

I was a rebel as a child, my dad always said "Son get a government job so they cant fire you." 

He knew. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
10  Spikegary    6 years ago

Yeah, we had several years of pay freezes, though people act like Federal Workers are getting rich off the taxpayers' back. It's not true.  The only people getting rich that work for the Fed. are politicians....they come in owing money and leave multi-millionaires.......but let's gp after the little guy makin g $30K per year.

Do we need hiring and firing reform?  Yes and yes. 

6 workers, 2 actually working?  Road workers are generally state or county employees.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
10.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  Spikegary @10    6 years ago
Do we need hiring and firing reform?  Yes and yes.

Perhaps that is where my frustration lies …

I worked for the USDA/NRCS .. I had to leave after just over 3 years - I could not stand the idleness.  The DC in the field officer I worked made far more than 30k and was a slob - the office was a shambles .. years worth of paper work not filed within the proper client folders - millions of dollars spent on ranches and farms irrigation pivots, head gates, 99 years leases by the government on land that the owner maintains ownership of with guidelines that had to be followed, piled in boxes stacked in every corner of the building .. I was not hired for office work - but that is what I did in order to actually work .. while the DC talked on the phone with or emailed friends.

I could not complain about the money I made, it was adequate for my needs … I took a pay cut and went back to welding!