╌>

Top Democrat refers confidential info about Kavanaugh of a sexual nature to FBI

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  spikegary  •  6 years ago  •  18 comments

Top Democrat refers confidential info about Kavanaugh of a sexual nature to FBI
"Throughout 25 years of public service, the Federal Bureau of Investigation has thoroughly and repeatedly vetted Judge Kavanaugh, dating back to 1993, for some of the most highly sensitive roles."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON — Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., confirmed Thursday that she had referred information about Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh to "federal investigative authorities."

“I have received information from an individual concerning the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. That individual strongly requested confidentiality, declined to come forward or press the matter further, and I have honored that decision. I have, however, referred the matter to federal investigative authorities,” said Feinstein, the top Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, which is scheduled to vote on Kavanaugh’s nomination next week.

Senate Judiciary Committee Democrats met on Wednesday night to discuss a vague sexual misconduct allegation against Kavanaugh dating back to his high school days, two sources familiar with the matter told NBC News.

The information came from Rep. Anna Eschoo, D-Calif., whose office pointed NBC News to a statement released last week that they had "a confidentiality policy regarding constituent casework" that precluded the release of any further details. The existence of the letter was first reported by online publication The Intercept.Two sources told NBC News the allegation was sexual in nature, but both said the letter writer was not specific in describing Kavanaugh's alleged behavior. One source told NBC News the conduct described could allege sexual assault, but said it could also be a lesser allegation — and added the individual making the allegation would have to be more specific with law enforcement officials for any investigation to be able to move forward.

George Hartmann, a spokesman for Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, chairman of the Judiciary Committee, said Thursday that the senator is aware of Feinstein’s referral.

"At this time, he has not seen the letter in question, and is respecting the request for confidentiality," Hartmann said. "There's no plan to change the committee’s consideration of Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination."

Feinstein had been in possession of the letter for some period of time, two sources said, but the matter was not referred to the FBI until after the Democratic meeting on Wednesday evening. The meeting was called because members of the committee had heard rumors of the letter’s existence from reporters, one source told NBC News.

White House spokesperson Kerri Kupec said Thursday that Feinstein should have raised the information earlier in the nomination process.

"Not until the eve of his confirmation has Sen. Feinstein or anyone raised the specter of new ‘information’ about him," Kupec said, accusing Democrats of an "11th-hour attempt to delay" Kavanaugh a seat on the high court. "Throughout 25 years of public service, the Federal Bureau of Investigation has thoroughly and repeatedly vetted Judge Kavanaugh, dating back to 1993, for some of the most highly sensitive roles."

The controversy comes after a marathon series of hearings for Kavanaugh’s nomination last week in which he testified for two days before the Judiciary panel. The committee was originally scheduled to vote on his nomination Thursday morning, though it has now been delayed until next week on Sept. 20.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  Spikegary    6 years ago

So, an alleged confidential source says Judge Kavanaugh did something.  When he was in High School.  The Dems are really grasping at straws trying to do anything to remain relevant and maybe even eke out a win.

News Flash.  Judger Kavanaugh crapped in his diapers as a baby.  That must disqualify him (based on a report frOm a confidential source).

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1.2  Colour Me Free  replied to  Spikegary @1    6 years ago

Sexual misconduct has taken men down 20 + years later .. no proof, just accusations - the claims of sexual misconduct are to be taken seriously …….  as if, since there is a claim, it must be true, especially if it is a man that is seen as powerful..

I told my son when the word came out that Feinstein had turned over information .. "bet it is of a sexual nature"

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  Sunshine  replied to  Colour Me Free @1.2    6 years ago
Sexual misconduct has taken men down 20 + years later

Don't even need to disclose what exactly the allegation is anymore.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1.2.2  Colour Me Free  replied to  Sunshine @1.2.1    6 years ago

No need to it would seem, even allegations can be made anonymously and the if one is powerful enough, the feds may investigate... : (

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  Texan1211    6 years ago

WTF does something a high school kid may or may not have done have to do with confirming a SCOTUS nominee?

Come back to earth, Democrats!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    6 years ago

Democrats show that "Desperation" is the "In Thing" these days.

"OMG.….Brett touched his own winky when he was two years old."

Oh....the Humanity ! Makes No Sense

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
7  seeder  Spikegary    6 years ago

Well, I'm off to an ATV Dice Run and may not be back here this weekend.  MODS-if this gets stupid, please lock it down.

Play nice, Girls and Boys.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    6 years ago
Feinstein had been in possession of the letter for some period of time

And that makes this particularly slimy. She could have turned this over to the FBI weeks ago, but didn't. She met with Kavanaugh and could have asked him about it, but didn't. She could have brought it up at the hearings, but didn't. She could have looked the man in the eye and given him a chance to defend himself, but she didn't. Like I said: slimy.