╌>

Priest Who Wants Gays Killed: I’m Hiding After Death Threats by LGBTQ+ Activists

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  hal-a-lujah  •  6 years ago  •  102 comments

Priest Who Wants Gays Killed: I’m Hiding After Death Threats by LGBTQ+ Activists
When asked about his views toward homosexuality, Kalchik was unequivocal, saying he’s “quite literal” when it comes to what the Bible says in Leviticus, Corinthians and Ephesians. Leviticus 20:13, according to the King James Bible, states: “If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: They shall surely be put to death.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

You may remember the priest who burned a rainbow flag after saying gay people should be put to death, and that he was then removed as head of his church . Now, he says he’s been driven into hiding thanks to “homosexualists” who have threatened him.

In his first interview since the controversial flag burning, Rev. Paul Kalchik said he has been sent off the grid not by his own hateful actions but by the evil gay people who want him dead. I mean, do they even know what it feels like for someone to say they hope you are put to death?! (Wait…)

Additionally, the priest says he went into hiding out of fear of being “arrested” on the orders of the Cardinal who warned him not to carry out the burning. But he also told a friendly “reporter” that he was fearing for his life after receiving death threats, and that he had no knowledge of his removal from the Church.

Kalchik added that, if police had come to arrest him at the parish, he isn’t sure what would have happened because he had volunteer policemen protecting him from “rabid homosexualists”.

Kalchik, a priest who once led Resurrection Parish in Chicago, told the website Church Militant that he wasn’t officially told not to burn the rainbow flag (although he definitely was). He also said he thought he’d be sent to a mental institution .

In the interview, Kalchik told the website that he was initially told he would be sent to St. Luke’s Institute, a psychiatric center in Maryland that focuses on mental health care for priests .

Kalchik has led the Resurrection Parish congregation for the past 11 years, but he was removed from the position after his church went ahead with plans to burn a pride flag that he called an “ over-the-top sacrilegious depiction of our Lord’s passion .”

The pastor was told not to destroy the flag, but insists that he never received verbal instructions not to do so .

“Cardinal (Blasé) Cupich doesn’t operate in a written format,” he said. “ Nobody said to not destroy it .”

Kalchik is blatantly lying here. He was told not to destroy the flag by the Archdiocese. He did it anyway. He also performed an exorcism on the fabric, implying homosexuality was the result of demonic possession.

It’s also worth noting the irony of how Kalchik sees himself as the victim given that he’s argued that the punishment for homosexuality should be death :

When asked about his views toward homosexuality, Kalchik was unequivocal, saying he’s “quite literal” when it comes to what the Bible says in Leviticus, Corinthians and Ephesians . Leviticus 20:13, according to the King James Bible, states: “If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: They shall surely be put to death .”

What he did was ridiculous and just a means to grab attention while demeaning some of the most vulnerable members of our society. I hope he comes out of hiding soon. Maybe then he can listen to the concerns people have about his actions and understand why they sent such an awful message.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

How dare someone invoke death threats on the guy who invokes death threats!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    6 years ago

Karma, she is a b!%ch, ain't she? jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    6 years ago

This whackadoodle should concentrate on helping the church get rid of the pedophiles within, not concentrating on adults choosing who to love.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3    6 years ago

then the pews would mostly be empty

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  devangelical @3.1    6 years ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    6 years ago

Seems weird that this turds 'god' keeps creating gays if it hates gays so much. [eye roll]

charger 383
Professor Silent
4.1  charger 383  replied to  MrFrost @4    6 years ago

Yeah, that's another thing that doesn't make sense 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.2  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  MrFrost @4    6 years ago

Seems weird that this turds 'god' keeps creating gays if it hates gays so much.

God (aka Mr. Infallible) finally realized how badly he fucked up when he recklessly instructed humans to be fruitful and multiply.  He saw that our population growth became untenable for the planet, and countered it by making more of the kinds of humans that don’t accidentally get pregnant.  Problem is that he already claimed to be infallible, therefore his faithful flock of lemmings cannot accept his new discreet plan.  He already told them to hate queers, so goddamit that’s what they’re gonna do.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    6 years ago

"Thou shalt not kill!" (Oh wait, unless they are gay, then it's totally cool). Yet another example of how some people can use the bibles ambiguity to fit their own agenda. What a f*cking joke. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1  devangelical  replied to  MrFrost @5    6 years ago

thumper fanatics love to cherry pick the old testament when it suits their mentally challenged agendas.

epistte
Junior Guide
5.2  epistte  replied to  MrFrost @5    6 years ago

Homosexuality is natural but religious belief is not. There is not another animal species that take part in religious rituals but many species exhibit homosexual behavior. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  epistte @5.2    6 years ago

Very true.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  epistte @5.2    6 years ago

Somebody posted a seed about gay penguins who got their own egg to adopt

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Release The Kraken @5.2.3    6 years ago

Not all priests are child rapists

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.2.6  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Release The Kraken @5.2.5    6 years ago
"Don't touch me, you're not my priest?"

While a joke, it does capture something that many people refuse to acknowledge. The fact is a child is far more likely to be sexually assaulted/raped by someone they know, family, friend, neighbor, priest, coach etc., than they are by a stranger. So all those ad campaigns of the decades past of "Don't talk to strangers" was well intentioned, but should have focused on a different target. It should have been the "Don't trust anyone, stay in groups/crowds, don't ever let your guard down and always tell your parents everything" campaign.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
5.2.8  lennylynx  replied to  Release The Kraken @5.2.7    6 years ago

Pull my finger! jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5.2.10  Skrekk  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.2.6    6 years ago
The fact is a child is far more likely to be sexually assaulted/raped by someone they know, family, friend, neighbor, priest, coach etc.,

Children should also stay far away from future SCOTUS judges especially if they're a casual acquaintance.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  MrFrost    6 years ago

This is proof that organized religion is a cancer on the human race. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1  devangelical  replied to  MrFrost @6    6 years ago

the worst of the lot is the most vocal

luther28
Sophomore Silent
7  luther28    6 years ago

This fellow does not sound a very priestly priest. A new order I am unaware of perhaps?

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1  devangelical  replied to  luther28 @7    6 years ago

church of the self righteous hypocrites

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8  TᵢG    6 years ago
When asked about his views toward homosexuality, Kalchik was unequivocal, saying he’s “quite literal” when it comes to what the Bible says in Leviticus, Corinthians and Ephesians. Leviticus 20:13, according to the King James Bible, states: “If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: They shall surely be put to death.”

Amazing is it not that human beings in 2018 take ancient Hebrew rules and presume they are the word of God.   A perfect example of the dangers of not thinking critically.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.1  Freefaller  replied to  TᵢG @8    6 years ago

Some people have a great ability to deceive themselves.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
8.2  Skrekk  replied to  TᵢG @8    6 years ago

The part I found amusing was this happened in Chicago in an LGBT-friendly church and diocese.

That soon to be ex-priest must be a real moron.    My understanding is that this wasn't the only reason he was removed.

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
8.3  Fireryone  replied to  TᵢG @8    6 years ago
Amazing is it not that human beings in 2018 take ancient Hebrew rules and presume they are the word of God.   A perfect example of the dangers of not thinking critically.

It's amazing, they believe it so much they are willing in some cases to kill those who do not agree. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

He sounds more than a bit unhinged.  He's afraid he'll be arrested?  For what?  So far as I can tell, he's done nothing illegal.  Shitty, yes.  Illegal, no.

And the death threats - well, those shouldn't happen.  Of course, he shouldn't be calling for anybody else's death, either.  I'm betting that if he had never called for anyone's death, nobody would be threatening his.  But then he couldn't play the "poor, persecuted me" card.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
9.1  Skrekk  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9    6 years ago
And the death threats - well, those shouldn't happen.  Of course, he shouldn't be calling for anybody else's death, either.
 So far as I can tell, he's done nothing illegal.  

I have no sympathy whatsoever for bigots who whine when they're treated the same way they've treated the people they hate.   If he's done nothing "illegal" then neither have those who want to treat him the exact same way.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
10  lennylynx    6 years ago

Wow, talk about an extreme view.  This guy is gay, guaranteed.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
10.2  MrFrost  replied to  lennylynx @10    6 years ago
This guy is gay, guaranteed.

Yea, that's my guess as well Lenny. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.3  Tessylo  replied to  lennylynx @10    6 years ago
'Wow, talk about an extreme view.  This guy is gay, guaranteed.'

Another self-loathing closeted homosexual.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
11  bbl-1    6 years ago

Is Kalchik a Trumper?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.1  MrFrost  replied to  bbl-1 @11    6 years ago

You get three guesses and the first two don't count. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13  Trout Giggles    6 years ago
He was told not to destroy the flag by the Archdiocese. He did it anyway. He also performed an exorcism on the fabric, implying homosexuality was the result of demonic possession.

If I'm inappropriate, I apologize up front.

But I'm laughing at the "perfomed an exorxcism on the fabric"

So....the Devil infects fabric now? Good to know. I've always thought that Rayon was a Satanic invention

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @13    6 years ago

Pat Robertson agrees with him.  He says secondhand clothes can contain dangerous demons.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
13.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  sandy-2021492 @13.1    6 years ago

He says secondhand clothes can contain dangerous demons.

LOL I can see the TV ads now. Laundry away the demons !!

cheer...s

lol

epistte
Junior Guide
13.1.2  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @13.1    6 years ago
Pat Robertson agrees with him.  He says secondhand clothes can contain dangerous demons.

Does Woolite remove demons or do I need to use a pre-soak and Tide? 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  epistte @13.1.2    6 years ago

I'd say if it's not a bleachable fabric, you're probably just going to have to throw it away.

This is why I'd never buy shoes on consignment.  Who knows what demons hang out in nasty insoles?

epistte
Junior Guide
13.1.4  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @13.1.3    6 years ago
I'd say if it's not a bleachable fabric, you're probably just going to have to throw it away.

Does that also apply to color-safe bleach or only to chlorine bleach? 

This is why I'd never buy shoes on consignment.  Who knows what demons hang out in nasty insoles?

Agreed.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  epistte @13.1.4    6 years ago
Does that also apply to color-safe bleach or only to chlorine bleach? 

I think you have to go with the big guns.  Clorox, ultra-concentrated.

I like the splash-free version.  Wouldn't want that stuff getting away from you and poofing away the angels in your favorite pair of pajamas.

epistte
Junior Guide
13.1.6  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @13.1.5    6 years ago
I think you have to go with the big guns.  Clorox, ultra-concentrated.

I had to run to the store to get coffee beans and a few other things for tomorrow and while I was waiting to check out I wondered if dry cleaning might remove demons?

I like the splash-free version.  Wouldn't want that stuff getting away from you and poofing away the angels in your favorite pair of pajamas.

I buy store brand bleach but I often use it for other cleaning tasks. I guess it is the splash-free bottle. 

I'm not sure that angels would approve what I wear to bed. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13.1.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  epistte @13.1.6    6 years ago
while I was waiting to check out I wondered if dry cleaning might remove demons?

I think some sort of aqueous solution is necessary.  How else can you mix in the holy water?

I'm not sure that angels would approve what I wear to bed. 

Snort!

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.1.8  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  sandy-2021492 @13.1.7    6 years ago
I think some sort of aqueous solution is necessary.  How else can you mix in the holy water?

Like this?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13.1.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13.1.8    6 years ago

Those ferns seem to be thriving.  I can't imagine why :D

epistte
Junior Guide
13.1.10  epistte  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13.1.8    6 years ago

I hated when the priest would bless everyone with holy water from his scepter.  The smell of religious incense on high holy day was almost gag inducing. A 90-minute mass would have been so much better if someone had replaced the incense with a bit of marijuana in the incense burner. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.1.11  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  sandy-2021492 @13.1.9    6 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.1.12  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  epistte @13.1.10    6 years ago

epistte
Junior Guide
13.1.13  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @13.1.9    6 years ago

I had to think about that before I got the joke.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.1.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @13.1.3    6 years ago
Who knows what demons hang out in nasty insoles?

Great play on words!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13.1.15  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.1.14    6 years ago

Ha!  I actually didn't intend it that way. Thanks for making my joke funnier!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
13.2  MrFrost  replied to  Trout Giggles @13    6 years ago
So....the Devil infects fabric now? Good to know.

You didn't really think the dryer is responsible for your lost socks did you?

Sophomore Guide
13.2.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Release The Kraken @13.2.1    6 years ago
The appliance guy pulled a guitar pick out of my washing machine from my son, $350 for a new pump.

Send the bill to the manufacture and tell them their washer sucks.

At least they'd know, and you may be surprised. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
13.2.3  MrFrost  replied to  Release The Kraken @13.2.1    6 years ago

I always keep my picks in the strings. 

Sophomore Guide
13.2.4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  MrFrost @13.2.3    6 years ago

LOL as a drummer I dont wash my sticks in the washing machine so NO problem here either. But I do appreciate the warning...lol

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Release The Kraken @13.2.1    6 years ago

I spent 100 dollars on the dryer maintenance guy to pull the drum out and hand me a nickel

Split Personality
Professor Guide
13.2.7  Split Personality  replied to  Release The Kraken @13.2.6    6 years ago

ouch

Split Personality
Professor Guide
13.2.8  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.2.5    6 years ago

Must have been pretty annoying, lol

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.2.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @13.2.8    6 years ago

It was. The dryer was making this horrible noise so I call in maintenance.

I was pissed

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.2.10  TᵢG  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @13.2.4    6 years ago

Yeah me too.   Basically my sticks break and I throw them in the recycling bin.

Sophomore Guide
13.2.12  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  TᵢG @13.2.10    6 years ago
Basically my sticks break and I throw them in the recycling bin.

LOL 

I dont break sticks I don t play that hard. I used to throw sticks all over the damn place till I discovered the ZildJian Dipsticks. Man I Love them ! I haven't tossed a stick in years.

I'm more into interegent playing than power playing. And I play solo mostly so... 

I do have speakers that come on like live sound and some times I play along like that. Love Bad Company !

Just a hobby I've enjoyed for a long time. 

Sophomore Guide
13.2.13  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Release The Kraken @13.2.6    6 years ago
I find wood shavings all round the drum kit.

What the Hell, ya sure ya also dont have termites ?

LOL 

I've played and had a set of drums in my house most of my life, guess what never a wood shaving to be found. 

I've heard of shredding it on an instrument but short of that happening I'd look into this.

LOL 

Sophomore Guide
13.2.15  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Release The Kraken @13.2.14    6 years ago
Welcome to my auditory anguish.

Thanks, but No thanks !

Rock is great metal is too hard for my taste anyway. Having my home destroyed NO WAY. 

I did have all sound reduction windows and doors installed (the ones when I bought the house needed it anyway) this way I really can Jam out with the music I like to play with at the volume I need to match it as I play along on my drums. Its like playing with the band, I love it. 

The reduction is actually so good I can jam out 24 hours of the day without bothering my neighbors as long as I don't get carried away. That's nice, I used to need to stop at 10 PM or chance pissin someone off. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
13.2.16  MrFrost  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @13.2.4    6 years ago
LOL as a drummer I dont wash my sticks

Guitar picks... LOL I play a banjo. I am no Earl Scrugs, (RIP), but I have fun with it. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
13.2.17  MrFrost  replied to  Release The Kraken @13.2.1    6 years ago
The appliance guy pulled a guitar pick

Well, since we have completely derailed, think you'll enjoy this, pretty impressive skills actually.

epistte
Junior Guide
13.2.19  epistte  replied to  Release The Kraken @13.2.18    6 years ago

Did anyone on Newstalkers ever post on Harmony Central in the past? 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.2.20  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  MrFrost @13.2    6 years ago
You didn't really think the dryer is responsible for your lost socks did you?

George Carlin has the answer,

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.2.21  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  MrFrost @13.2.3    6 years ago

I hear that some people keep them in their nose.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.2.22  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  MrFrost @13.2.16    6 years ago

I went into the way back machine and, found this,

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.2.23  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13.2.22    6 years ago

MrFrost
Professor Expert
13.2.24  MrFrost  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13.2.21    6 years ago
I hear that some people keep them in their nose.

My dad could...huge nose. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
13.2.25  MrFrost  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13.2.23    6 years ago

Scruggs was a legend in the 'pickers' community. Steve Martin is fantastic, but he is no Earl Scruggs. Thanks for posting that, it's one of my favs. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.2.26  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  MrFrost @13.2.25    6 years ago

You're welcome.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
14  Phoenyx13    6 years ago
But he also told a friendly “reporter” that he was fearing for his life after receiving death threats

gee... i'm shocked that some of the people in the group he wished death upon are returning the favor ... i guess he just expected them to repent and start believing in his God since he advocated for their deaths ? .... i'm also just so " shocked " that a religion and deity that supposedly preaches love - advocates for death ... jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif  ( yes, i know, they want you to die out of "love"... *sigh* )

Ender
Professor Principal
15  Ender    6 years ago

Why is it that religious people always have to have someone to go after. If it isn't burning witches at the stake, it is gay people should not live.

It is like they always need a nemesis/scapegoat in order to make themselves relevant. Or someone to lord over to make themselves feel better.

Sad and pathetic really.

epistte
Junior Guide
15.1  epistte  replied to  Ender @15    6 years ago
Why is it that religious people always have to have someone to go after. If it isn't burning witches at the stake, it is gay people should not live.

It is like they always need a nemesis/scapegoat in order to make themselves relevant. Or someone to lord over to make themselves feel better.

Sad and pathetic really.

Religious always need to feel persecuted for their beliefs or to have people who are a threat that must be eliminated. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
16  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago
He also said he thought he’d be sent to a mental institution.

Gosh, why would anyone want to send him to a mental institution? More than likely they'd send him to the White House. He is really,

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
16.1  bbl-1  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @16    6 years ago

No offense.  But Kalchik is IN a mental institution. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
16.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  bbl-1 @16.1    6 years ago
No offense.  But Kalchik is IN a mental institution.

None taken, I don't belong to an organized religion, I'm a Wiccan.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
17  bbl-1    6 years ago

Epistte in 13.1.2 very wisely mentioned that Pat Robertson also believed Kalchik's assertions.

This is very heavy weight as far as confirmations of evil.  After all, it was Robertson who deftly inquired from one of his aides on his TV show as to whether, "Mac & Cheese was a Black thing."  This preponderance of intellect must not be ignored.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
17.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  bbl-1 @17    6 years ago
This preponderance of intellect must not be ignored.

It seems to me that the patients have taken over the asylum.