╌>

This Man Sued a Haunted House for Being Too Scary

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  spikegary  •  6 years ago  •  68 comments

'He was pointing [the chain saw] right at me … You could literally smell the gas,'

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

On October 15, 2011, Scott Griffin and friends went to the Haunted Trail in San Diego, a Halloween attraction run by the Haunted Hotel, Inc. Printed on tickets was a warning that the trail had 'high-impact scares.' Visitors walked a mile-long path along which actors dressed in ghoulish costumes and carrying prop weapons jumped out to frighten—and even chase—them.

Griffin, then 44, and his friends completed the trail and walked through what appeared to be the exit. They were laughing about how much fun they’d had, when suddenly an actor with a revving chain saw came toward them. The Haunted Hotel calls this the Carrie effect, referring to the last scene in the 1976 horror movie, when the audience, believing the film is over, is surprised by one final scare.

Griffin tried to back away, but the actor followed him closely. Griffin yelled, 'Stop!' He couldn’t tell whether the chain saw was real. 'He was pointing [the chain saw] right at me … You could literally smell the gas,' Griffin said in a deposition. 'He was literally running after me … I was fearful for my safety big-time.' While being chased, Griffin fell. He severely injured both wrists, which were in casts for four months.On April 12, 2013, Griffin sued the Haunted Hotel, Inc., in the Superior Court of California, County of San Diego, for negligence and assault, claiming the defendants 'acted with conscious disregard for the safety of [Griffin] when they were aware of the probable dangerous consequences of their conduct.' He requested an undisclosed amount in damages to cover the costs of his injuries.

The Haunted Hotel responded with a motion to dismiss the case, arguing that the lawsuit was governed by the 'doctrine of primary assumption of risk.' Said the amusement’s attorney, David Hall, 'There was a risk inherent in the activity—the risk that you might get scared and react in a way that might hurt you.'

Superior Court Judge Katherine Bacal agreed with the Haunted Hotel and dismissed the case, noting that Griffin 'was still within the scare experience that he purchased.' She added: 'Who would want to go to a haunted house that is not scary?' 

Griffin appealed to the Court of Appeal, Fourth Appellate District. 'Yes, he was paying to get scared,' said his attorney, P. Christopher Ardalan. 'But when does that go too far?'

Was the Haunted Hotel negligent when its actor chased Griffin with a chain saw after Griffin thought he’d exited the trail? You be the judge.

The Verdict

To be clear, primary assumption of risk does not give recreational businesses like the Haunted Hotel, Inc., complete immunity; they still 'owe participants the duty not to unreasonably increase the risk of injury' beyond those inherent in the activity.

In his appeal, Griffin said primary assumption of risk did not apply, because the business included a scare outside the trail. In October 2015, the appeals court disagreed with him. Justice Gilbert Nares wrote, 'Being chased within the physical confines of the Haunted Trail by a chain saw–carrying maniac is a fundamental part and inherent risk of this amusement. Griffin voluntarily paid money to experience it.'

The Haunted Hotel’s attorney summed it up with a Hunter S. Thompson quote: 'Buy the ticket, take the ride.' 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  Spikegary    6 years ago

Well, the smell wouldn't be gas.....as chainsaws are 2 storke, so it's a gas and oil mixture that makes a unique exhaust smell......plus, in the real world, how often do you see someone running around chasing people with chainsaws?  Yeah, this guy peed himself and now wants to blame someone else for it....welcome to San Diego........

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  Spikegary @1    6 years ago

All clowns should be shot yesterday.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  cjcold @1.1    6 years ago

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2  luther28    6 years ago

Only in America.

Christ, what has become of us?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  luther28 @2    6 years ago

When I think back to when I got a sliver in my finger from the Disney World tree house, I could have sued and made a million dollars.  I wasn't aware that the USA was so filled with litigious maniacs and huge awards were handed out by the judges. In Canada I would have been laughed out of the courtroom. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    6 years ago

Land of milk and honey!!!!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.1    6 years ago

Or is it Land of bilk and money.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.2    6 years ago

That too...

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
2.2  nightwalker  replied to  luther28 @2    6 years ago

I think is a case of being careful what you wish for.  The guy went to a haunted house for a thrill and done got himself thrilled real good.

this guy is so greedy that he publically announced himself to be a complete chickens**t.

jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2.2.1  luther28  replied to  nightwalker @2.2    6 years ago

The shall we say, I don't know, stupidity of some of our fellow humans never ceases to amaze me.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3  lady in black    6 years ago

What did this idiot expect in a "haunted house"?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  lady in black @3    6 years ago
What did this idiot expect in a "haunted house"?

Fluffy bunnies.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.1    6 years ago
Fluffy bunnies.

Terrifying!!!

8745674812_d1c1cbb5d0_z.jpg

cms5
Freshman Quiet
3.1.2  cms5  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.1    6 years ago

Yikes!!

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.1    6 years ago

Well, I was thinking more like this,

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.1.3    6 years ago

Night of the Lepus (trailer)

Added to my Halloween to watch list.....jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.5  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.4    6 years ago

I saw it at the theatre, it was corny as hell. But, if you want a good laugh watch it.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.6  cjcold  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.1    6 years ago

Talk to Graham Chapman about "fluffy bunnies".

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.7  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @3.1.6    6 years ago

And then research 'The Trouble With Tribbles".  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.8  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  cjcold @3.1.6    6 years ago
Talk to Graham Chapman about "fluffy bunnies".

Actually, I find "fluffy bunnies" taste good, especially fried.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.9  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  cjcold @3.1.7    6 years ago
And then research 'The Trouble With Tribbles".

Nah, I'll let Kirk, Spock and, McCoy research them.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.10  cjcold  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.1.8    6 years ago

On a spit over the campfire.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.11  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  cjcold @3.1.10    6 years ago

Ok, you get that nice smoke flavor in the meat.

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
3.1.12  nightwalker  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.1.3    6 years ago

LOL

I sort of remember that movie, the giant rabbits mostly would knock people down and then slap them to death wasn't it?

But think how many people a giant rabbit would feed.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.13  cjcold  replied to  nightwalker @3.1.12    6 years ago

Think about how many humans that fanged tooth rabbits could consume around a campfire!

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.14  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  cjcold @3.1.13    6 years ago
Think about how many humans that fanged tooth rabbits could consume around a campfire.

This makes me think of giant rabbits sitting around a campfire making smores.

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
3.1.15  nightwalker  replied to  cjcold @3.1.13    6 years ago

Getting into the Halloween spirit, I can think of a couple of people I'd sacrifice. If you know enough people you wouldn't miss and have a shotgun and a few shells, you could eat well for a long time.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.16  cjcold  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.1.14    6 years ago

You do realize that you have to hate rabbits to keep the campfire smoke out of your face don't you?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.17  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  cjcold @3.1.16    6 years ago
You do realize that you have to hate rabbits to keep the campfire smoke out of your face don't you?

Nah, I love rabbits......cooked a whole bunch of ways. jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif One of my favorites is Hossenfeffer.

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
3.2  nightwalker  replied to  lady in black @3    6 years ago

I was wondering that too, maybe peeled-grape eyeballs and people in sheets jumping out of doorways and going ("boo!") in a well lit private home?

I hope he elaborates at the trial, it'd be hilarious. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2.1  cjcold  replied to  nightwalker @3.2    6 years ago

Is it getting near Halloween or what?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

Soooo, when are places like Disney World, Epcot Center and, Six Flags going to get sued for being "too scary".

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1  cjcold  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4    6 years ago

"Its a Small World" freaked me out at Disneyland when I was a kid. Worst ride ever! 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  arkpdx  replied to  cjcold @4.1    6 years ago

People have gone into diabetic coma from going on that ride if they suffer diabetes or not . Personally I just died of sheer boredom. The worst thing in the world that can happen to yours to get that damned song stuck in your head. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  arkpdx @4.1.1    6 years ago

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  cjcold  replied to  arkpdx @4.1.1    6 years ago

Any song (like it or not) that gets stuck in your head can become annoying after awhile.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  arkpdx @4.1.1    6 years ago

I've lived in three big cities here in China, and there's NO WAY to get away from that song.  The street watering trucks have loudspeakers and they all play the damn thing as they water all year except for Christmas time, when they play Jingle Bells.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.1.5  arkpdx  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.4    6 years ago

You have my deepest and sincerest sympathies. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.6  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.4    6 years ago

You have street watering trucks? We don't even have those in Kansas!

cms5
Freshman Quiet
5  cms5    6 years ago

I'm sure his friends had a great laugh!

My spouse and I were thinking of great ways to scare the kiddies that come Trick-or-Treating. After each scenario we could only picture the kiddies tumbling down the set of stairs outside of our home and being sued. So, it's just the porch light and a basket of candy.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  cms5 @5    6 years ago

When I was a kid we had a neighbor that put out a giant talking Jack O'Lantern, he would have the candy sitting next to it and, would use the pumpkin to talk to the kids when they came up, he had a mic inside the house for that.

cms5
Freshman Quiet
5.1.1  cms5  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.1    6 years ago

Good one...but still...they'd be frightened and tumble down the cement stairs outside our home!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  cjcold  replied to  cms5 @5.1.1    6 years ago

It's called "trick or treat" for a reason.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.1.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  cjcold @5.1.2    6 years ago
It's called "trick or treat" for a reason.

Hey CJ a little Halloween history for you,

Trick-or-treating is a Halloween ritual custom for children and adults in many countries. Children in costumes travel from house-to-house, asking for treats with the phrase "Trick or treat". The "treat" is usually some form of candy, although in some cultures money is used instead. The "trick" refers to a threat, usually idle, to perform mischief on the homeowners or their property if no treat is given. Trick-or-treating usually occurs on the evening of October 31. Some homeowners signal that they are willing to hand out treats by putting up Halloween decorations outside their doors; others simply leave treats available on their porches for the children to take freely.

Ancient precursors[edit]
Traditions similar to the modern custom of trick-or-treating extend all the way back to classical antiquity, although it is extremely unlikely that any of them are directly related to the modern custom. The ancient Greek writer Athenaeus of Naucratis records in his book The Deipnosophists that, in ancient times, the Greek island of Rhodes had a custom in which children would go from door-to-door dressed as swallows, singing a song, which demanded the owners of the house to give them food and threatened to cause mischief if the owners of the house refused.[4][5][6] This tradition was claimed to have been started by the Rhodian lawgiver Cleobulus.[7]

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6  cjcold    6 years ago

Now that I live in the woods, just sit in the dark with a AR-15 on the day. Don't much care for pranks.

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
8  nightwalker    6 years ago

Not a bad way to deal with it, unless someday the clown punches back..

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.1  cjcold  replied to  nightwalker @8    6 years ago

That's what Bruce Lee said.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  cjcold @8.1    6 years ago

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.1.2  cjcold  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @8.1.1    6 years ago

Never met Bruce but became friends with Danny. JKD!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.1.3  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @8.1.2    6 years ago

Danny was a grand master at sticks swords and knives. Also studied under Grandmaster Remy Presus. Every day I needed some sort of medical help.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.1.4  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  cjcold @8.1.2    6 years ago

I never met Bruce either but, I did study under a woman who had gone to Bruce's school in LA and, had become friends with the Lee family, she and, her husband taught the Sarasota Police Department defensive tactics as well as having a private school of martial arts in Sarasota, nice people.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.1.5  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  cjcold @8.1.3    6 years ago
Danny was a grand master at sticks swords and knives.

Did he teach Kali?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.1.6  cjcold  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @8.1.5    6 years ago

Kali, Arnis, Wing Chun, Several Filipino systems as well as JKD. They were friends for a reason.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.1.7  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @8.1.6    6 years ago

Forgot Eskrima and Pencak Silat.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.1.8  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @8.1.7    6 years ago

Funny how we forget things with enough kicks and punches to the head.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.1.9  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  cjcold @8.1.8    6 years ago
Funny how we forget things with enough kicks and punches to the head.

Yeah, ain't it though.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.1.10  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @8.1.8    6 years ago

Danny taught Bruce how to fight with 2 sticks.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.1.11  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  cjcold @8.1.10    6 years ago
Danny taught Bruce how to fight with 2 sticks.

Yeah, I was better with sticks than knives or, axes or, swords. I mastered "Heaven six" with them.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.1.12  cjcold  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @8.1.11    6 years ago

Sinawali became second nature after awhile. The sticks would get hot and start to burn.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.1.13  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @8.1.12    6 years ago

You know you're doing it right when you smell rattan burning.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.1.14  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  cjcold @8.1.12    6 years ago
Sinawali became second nature after awhile. The sticks would get hot and start to burn.

Yep, it's a good feeling to get those hands warm.