╌>

'THIS IS A WHITE NEIGHBORHOOD’: Woman greets family by calling their child the n-word, police say

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hal-a-lujah  •  6 years ago  •  65 comments

'THIS IS A WHITE NEIGHBORHOOD’: Woman greets family by calling their child the n-word, police say
“We moved here to a WHITE TOWN, ALL WHITE NEIGHBORHOOD — FOR HEALTH REASONS AMONG OTHER THINGS. THIS IS OUR FOREVER HOME, WE CANNOT AFFORD TO MOVE — BESIDES THIS IS MY DREAM HOME AND WE HAVE BEEN HERE FOR A VERY LONG TIME,” it read. It added that the family “SHOULD HAVE CONSIDERED THE NEIGHBORS” before bringing the child into the area.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

An Indiana woman is accused of writing a racist note targeting a black child who was moving into a new neighborhood with his family, using a racial slur and telling them, “THIS IS A WHITE NEIGHBORHOOD.”

Authorities said 63-year-old Deborah Cantwell, who is white, penned the letter and placed it on the new neighbors’ front door this month near Greentown, Ind. It warned the parents that one of their children, who authorities said is black, was “not welcome” in the community, according to court documents. It’s unclear whether his parents are also black; police declined to comment further.

A photo posted on GoFundMe, which appears to show the letter, revealed that a racial slur was used to describe the child.

“We moved here to a WHITE TOWN, ALL WHITE NEIGHBORHOOD — FOR HEALTH REASONS AMONG OTHER THINGS. THIS IS OUR FOREVER HOME, WE CANNOT AFFORD TO MOVE — BESIDES THIS IS MY DREAM HOME AND WE HAVE BEEN HERE FOR A VERY LONG TIME,” it read. It added that the family “SHOULD HAVE CONSIDERED THE NEIGHBORS” before bringing the child into the area.

The letter continued, stating that “just the sight of the child reminds me of all the things I live in this town to forget.”

Authorities have not confirmed whether the photo shows the letter, but the text matches quotes found in the court records.

Cantwell was arrested late last week on charges of intimidation and criminal mischief. She has since been released on bond.

Officials with the Howard County Sheriff’s Department said in a statement that deputies responded to the family’s new home Oct. 13 about a letter that was found on the front door leading up to their move-in date. “The letter contained erroneous information concerning the property and also made derogatory racial comments towards a juvenile family member,” according to the statement.

Court records show that a family member told authorities that his family had not yet moved into the house but that he had stopped by the home about midnight and discovered that the trees had been toilet-papered.

The “lengthy note” was attached to the door.

In her letter, Cantwell said she has had “negative” experiences with black people, and seeing the child would cause stress.

She urged them not to move into the house.

Cantwell wrote in the letter that “YOU CAN SELL YOUR HOUSE AND MAKE MONEY ON IT RIGHT NOW,” and added, “BY THE WAY HOPE YOU HAVE DEEP POCKETS,” according to the court records.

Authorities suspected Cantwell after the home’s seller said Cantwell did not want the new family to buy the home, the records said.

When investigators questioned Cantwell on Oct. 18, she admitted that she had written the letter because she was angry, suggesting that, throughout the years, black people held her father at gunpoint, stabbed an uncle and beat her sister. Cantwell told police that she delivered the note and toilet-papered the house out of “rage” and that “I was trying to vent,” according to court documents.

When asked whether she regretted her actions, Cantwell told police, “yes and no.”

“I am sorry that it caused so much ruckus, but I feel like I released some anger writing that letter,” she said, according to the court documents. She added that had she received such a letter, “I’d want to get out of the neighborhood.”

It’s unclear whether Cantwell has an attorney. She is due in court Nov. 19.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

The Indiana Welcome Wagon.  I have no doubt who this woman voted for in the last Presidential election.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2  lady in black    6 years ago

Disgusting bitch. She needs professional help.  Welcome to Trump's America.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1  Sunshine  replied to  lady in black @2    6 years ago
Disgusting bitch. She needs professional help.  Welcome to Trump's America.

Yes it is disgusting Lady, but I think racism well preceded Trump.  There will always be mean people like her.

There will always be racist.  If you hate Trump, just say it, but blaming Trump for every racist that walks the face of the earth is disingenuous.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  lady in black  replied to  Sunshine @2.1    6 years ago

He has emboldened racists with his acceptance of white supremacists (you know the fine people).  How many does this make that white women have called the cops on someone or harassed them just because of the color of their skin.  

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.3  Fireryone  replied to    6 years ago
Trump has not said or done anything to make it worse.

That seems to be up for debate currently.  I have a hard time seeing how he isn't at least partly to blame as the potus, he is supposed to set the tome. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.4  MrFrost  replied to    6 years ago
Trump has not said or done anything to make it worse.

You sure?

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  Sunshine  replied to  lady in black @2.1.1    6 years ago
He has emboldened racists with his acceptance of white supremacists (you know the fine people). 

So much wrong with that statement.

I suppose this is Obama's America - 

“I heard this lady, she was like, ‘Uh, what are all these black kids doing here?’ She’s like, ‘I’m scared they might do something to my child,'” said camper Dymire Baylor.

Andy plenty more in Obama's term if I want to spend all my time, as Hal does, looking just to incite.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
2.1.6  cobaltblue  replied to  Sunshine @2.1    6 years ago
but blaming Trump for every racist that walks the face of the earth is disingenuous.

What I can blame Trump for is the lack of civility that kept racists' mouths shut for generations past. Racists now tout their racism as patriotism. Can you believe that shit? They are emboldened and I definitely blame Trump for that. I believe he's made it appear as if he feels civility is weak. I believe he's made it appear as if impulse control is weak. 

A woman was reportedly arrested after being confronted by another woman in a Colorado grocery store for allegedly harassing two Hispanic women. In a viral video that has garnered over 650,000 views as of Thursday afternoon, a woman identified as Kamira Trent can be seen confronting Linda Dwire in a City Market grocery store on Monday for harassing two women who had been speaking Spanish. 

“It’s a patriotic thing, " Dwire said. "When people come to my country, they need to love it enough to speak English."

But Velasquez believes otherwise. "If she wasn't racist, she wouldn't care what language we would speak," Velasquez said. "It baffles me because I don't understand what concept they have about us [immigrants]. What are we trying to take away from them exactly?"

Cite, with video of the harassment. [Emphasis mine.]

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2.1.7  lady in black  replied to  cobaltblue @2.1.6    6 years ago

My grandfather never spoke a word of English, he spoke Italian....he died in 1955. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Sunshine  replied to  cobaltblue @2.1.6    6 years ago
civility that kept racists' mouths shut for generations past. 

It did?  

They don't look very quite.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
2.1.9  cobaltblue  replied to  Sunshine @2.1.8    6 years ago

I'm talking about in neighborhoods, at grocery stores. If one joined the Klan, they wanted to be heard. Most racist people that were your neighbors, your cashiers, your workout buddies, kept their yaps shut because they had impulse control. They could keep their emotions in check because it would be boorish and crass to do otherwise. But not now. It's Trump's brand of patriotism that has infected rabid racists.

The Klan dressed in their little white dunce caps and lit crosses on fire. They wanted to be heard and seen. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1.10  Sunshine  replied to  cobaltblue @2.1.9    6 years ago
I'm talking about in neighborhoods, at grocery stores.

I don't know about that....many examples of the same behavior under past Presidents. 

Just being reported and written about more due to the hatred of Trump.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
2.1.11  cobaltblue  replied to  Sunshine @2.1.10    6 years ago

Oh. Okay. You convinced me. Yeah. You convinced me. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1.12  Sunshine  replied to  cobaltblue @2.1.11    6 years ago

Good.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
2.1.13  cobaltblue  replied to  Sunshine @2.1.12    6 years ago
Good.

HA! Too damned funny ... 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.14  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Sunshine @2.1.10    6 years ago

" the number of hate groups has doubled over the past two decades -- a trend that appears to follow the impact minorities, financial crisis and political elections have on society."

Prejudice, white supremacy and white nationalism has been with us since our founding. And we have seen over the years a waxing and waning of this group. Some times they ride a wave of resentment and anger into relevance and sometimes they fade into obscurity for a few years. Right now we are on an upsurge, which will no doubt be followed by a massive down-surge.

It has been getting more exposure, just like a pale person with sunscreen on isn't afraid to go out in the sun for hours. Donald Trump has given white supremacist UV (Undeserved Validation) protection that has allowed them to come out of their hollars and attempt to be heard. He has pointed at the crowd of Nazi's, KKK and other white supremacists and said "they're good people" which was heard loud and clear by white supremacists everywhere who doubled down on their support for Trump.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1.15  Sunshine  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.14    6 years ago

You didn't read the thread correctly.  It was specifically stated that the comment referred to street/neighborhood racist not groups.

I'm talking about in neighborhoods, at grocery stores. 2.1.9

It has been getting more exposure,

And who is giving them more exposure?  and why?

and said "they're good people"

Taking a statement out of context and pursuing it to your own advantage is underhanded.  Perhaps you can provide the entire quote and the follow up statement by Trump.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.16  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sunshine @2.1    6 years ago

Racism has indeed preceded Trump, but he has emboldened many racists to come out of the shadows.  Some wear their racism almost as if it were badge of honor.  As for this POS slob white trash, it is the  family that should be concerned about their child being exposed to her grandchildren.  They are most likely mini me versions of gamma.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.17  JBB  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.16    6 years ago

Trump gives racism courage to lift skirts and show the nasty underbelly... 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.18  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Sunshine @2.1.15    6 years ago
Taking a statement out of context and pursuing it to your own advantage is underhanded. 

How exactly did I take that out of context?

"It was specifically stated that the comment referred to street/neighborhood racist not groups."

And I didn't limit my comment to specific members of any groups, I said Trump has given shade to white supremacists in general which also include those hate groups he called "very fine people". I was pointing out that white supremacy is spread far and wide, from the shores of North Carolina to the beaches of California, and as I said, Trumps support for them was "heard loud and clear by white supremacists everywhere". That includes "neighborhoods, at grocery stores".

"And who is giving them more exposure?  and why?"

Well, when they march in the street waving swastika flags along side confederate flags while wearing MAGA hats chanting "Jews will not replace us!" and then get called "very fine people" by the President, I'll bet they thought of that as positive "exposure".

If you're saying we should just ignore the bigots marching in the street, ignore the bigots murdering minorities in their own churches and synagogues, ignore the increase in white supremacist hate groups, ignore the right wing media support for white nationalism, ignore the rise in openly racist online hate speech, then you're taking the same stance as a pacifist German in the 1930's who thought the heated racist anti-Semitic rhetoric coming from the Reich-wing of their people would just blow over if they just ignored them.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1.19  Sunshine  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.18    6 years ago
If you're saying we should just ignore the bigots marching in the street

It has been ignored in the past for years...why the change?  

How exactly did I take that out of context?

He said some, and you conveniently forgot about this:

Racism is evil. And those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

Another well educated, knowledgeable person protecting her ''hood''....What a frickin' loser. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4  lady in black    6 years ago

Mom and son

5548664-6330707-image-a-43_1540845306571

Street they live on

5557180-6330707-image-a-4_1540860824173.

Copy of the letter

5557182-6330707-image-a-3_1540860816359.

She has been stalking them and now there is an order of protection and she is NOT allowed to contact the family.

Link to story where I found this information

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  lady in black @4    6 years ago

"police saying they couldn't do anything because they are black."

"the black principle did nothing"

"the police said they could do nothing because they were black"

"your kid may be a nice kid but the sight sets off my anger, rage and disgust of how &^$$^$ never pay for their crimes"

If you were an alien coming down to the planet for the first time and only read this letter to get a sense for who the privileged class in America is and you'd have to assume black people live like fricking kings. Wherever they go, police are afraid to arrest them, people in positions of power always rule in their favor and they can do anything they like with impunity. They must truly be the ruling class according to this woman.

This is a good example of how far into the rabbit hole many of these conservatives heads are, it's like they're living in an alternate universe. Satan is around every corner trying to trick 'em, blacks live like royalty, the Shylock Wizard George Soros is running America as a puppet government, Hillary is using her foundation to steal white kids as sex slaves, Obama is the head of a secret deep state, fire and brimstone, dogs and cats marrying each other, it's a fantasy universe of total and utter illogical chaos.

Ender
Professor Principal
5  Ender    6 years ago

The land of Pence.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  MrFrost    6 years ago
We moved here to a WHITE TOWN, ALL WHITE NEIGHBORHOOD — FOR HEALTH REASONS AMONG OTHER THINGS. THIS IS OUR FOREVER HOME, WE CANNOT AFFORD TO MOVE — BESIDES THIS IS MY DREAM HOME AND WE HAVE BEEN HERE FOR A VERY LONG TIME,” it read. It added that the family “SHOULD HAVE CONSIDERED THE NEIGHBORS” before bringing the child into the area.

Wow, isn't she just a little ray of fucking sunshine. jrSmiley_50_smiley_image.gif

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  MrFrost @6    6 years ago
We moved here to a WHITE TOWN, ALL WHITE NEIGHBORHOOD — FOR HEALTH REASONS AMONG OTHER THINGS

Well now, we shouldn't be demeaning this lady just because she happens to be severely allergic to black people... It's a condition afflicting millions of white conservatives that apparently there's no known cure for...

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @6.1    6 years ago
Well now, we shouldn't be demeaning this lady just because she happens to be severely allergic to black people... It's a condition afflicting millions of white conservatives that apparently there's no known cure for...

In that case, I really hope the jail she is in is for, "whites only". Meh, who am I kidding, I hope she is the only white person there. 

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
6.2  cobaltblue  replied to  MrFrost @6    6 years ago
before bringing the child into the area

I feel sorry for any child that crosses her path. It's Halloween. I'll bet any kid that dresses as the Grand Wizard tonight gets the most candy. Poor pathetic souls. Most racists are that way because they have an insatiable need to feel superior to anyone, to anything. They know they're trash, so they use whatever they can to look in the mirror and feel okay with themselves. That's the only way they feel good about themselves.

Bet she wears her MAGA hat tonight. Little does she know that it means My Attorney Got Arrested.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  cobaltblue @6.2    6 years ago

Rump has turned the White House into the White Trash House.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
7  lady in black    6 years ago

She's the true definition of a snowflake in need of a safe space from people with different color skin.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1  MrFrost  replied to  lady in black @7    6 years ago

It's 2018 and we still have rampant racism in this country and the vast majority of it is in the deep south. I just don't get it. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  MrFrost @7.1    6 years ago
I just don't get it.

I think it's roots are deep. You have a generations old resentment from losing the civil war, you have a bitterness built up by even discussing actual history that doesn't paint a very nice picture of their ancestors, you have the fact that much of white wealth and property ownership in the south was built on the backs of black slaves whose very existence today touches a nerve with many of these white supremacists and descendants of the confederacy. So many grow up in a household of open prejudice, anger and resentment of and for both the minorities they've been raised to hate and their enablers, the liberals and progressives who fight for their equality in the workplace, neighborhoods and our justice system.

I have heard from some in my family, who still live in Ohio, that their prejudice is justified, that the stereotypes are true and there is nothing wrong with racially profiling when it keeps you safe. But the reality is, the prejudices are not justified. You find some crime a black person has committed, I'll show you two white guys who've done the same thing. Prejudging people by skin color has a long history of lies, hate, evil and bigotry, none of which has ever kept anyone safe, it has only endangered millions and stoked the irrational fears of bigots across America who are now lashing out as they lose their racist death grip on society.

We've seen it many times in the last few years, from the mass murder of 9 in a Charleston church to this last Saturdays mass murder at a synagogue, and sadly, right wing violence is on the rise and will likely never be completely defeated. However, we can metaphorically lop off all its limbs so, like the black knight, white supremacy is just a torso stump sitting there shouting for us to come over so it can bite us while we all laugh at them. We're only having this discussion today because Trump gave the stump of white supremacy legs and arms again so that stumpy could make it to his rallies, and they've shown up to support Trump in droves. Donald Trump is the physical therapist that got the previously immobile white nationalist movement up and running again, though I think it was our last President that woke them up from their long slumber, and all he had to do was be half black.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @7.1.1    6 years ago
though I think it was our last President that woke them up from their long slumber, and all he had to do was be half black.

Bingo. I read a statistic years ago, (cannot find the link), it said that racist hate groups in the South INCREASED by almost 800% within 3 months of Obama taking office. 

As always, fantastic post DP. 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
8  lennylynx    6 years ago

Nothing to see here folks, it's just Donald Trump making America hate again.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
9  bbl-1    6 years ago

MAGA Unchained.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9.1  MrFrost  replied to  bbl-1 @9    6 years ago
MAGA Unchained.

Well, she is chained now..

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
10  Skrekk    6 years ago

Greentown is in central Indiana.    I wonder if she moved there from southern Indiana near Madison where the 2nd KKK was started?     Apparently the KKK still keeps an office there.

The lead actor in BlacKkKlansman says that the KKK held rallies every summer where he grew up in northern Indiana.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
11  cobaltblue    6 years ago

Oooh. Looks like Yeezy [isn't that Kanye's rename?] has seen the light. Maybe he's decided to get on meds. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  cobaltblue @11    6 years ago

I have heard his rap crap.  Creativity is not his strong point.  He needs to stick to banging Kartrashians and not trying to convince the world that he has anything meaningful to say.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
11.2  pat wilson  replied to  cobaltblue @11    6 years ago
Maybe he's decided to get on meds. 

Well he has admitted to being bipolar. He was certainly off his meds when he was visiting the oval office a couple of weeks ago.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
12  Cerenkov    6 years ago

Women writes mean note. This is news?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
12.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Cerenkov @12    6 years ago

You're right.  We should brush this and every other trace of Trump-inspired racism under the rug and move on like it's not even happening.  jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
12.1.2  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to    6 years ago

Yeah, because Indiana is so full of Democrats.  I have distant relatives there.  They are distant for a reason - bunch of racist redneck Trump supporters, just like all their neighbors.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
12.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @12.1.2    6 years ago

Yikes, isn't that where prick Pence is from?  He sure did his best to fuck up Indiana.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
12.1.4  MrFrost  replied to    6 years ago

Prove he didn't. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
12.2  pat wilson  replied to  Cerenkov @12    6 years ago
This is news?

Not really, it's happening once or twice a week now, all these 911 calls from some hysterical nut cases ranting about black people doing everyday things.

Since trump took office bigots have been crawling out from under the rug to spew their filthy, loathsome thoughts and ignorant beliefs.

No, it's not news, just revolting behavior out in the open. Hopefully sun light will the best disinfectant.