╌>

NOW OPEN - NOT SO EASY MOVIE QUIZ - FOR MOVIE LOVERS AND HATERS

Category:  Entertainment

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  6 years ago  •  26 comments

"Go to it" (Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice)

The quiz is locked until Sunday to give everyone time to think of the answers, an d it will be unlocked on Sunday in order to allow you to post your answers.   However, if you can send me a PRIVATE NOTE with your answers you can do so immediately and I will reply to you personally right away with your score and all the correct answers. The correct answers will be published here on Tuesday.

1. In the movie Shawshank Redemption, what was the birthday gift that Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) gave to Red (Morgan Freeman)?

2. In the movie Titanic, where did Jack Dawson (Leonardo DiCaprio) tell the "fine people" having champagne at dinner, he slept "the other night", while on board the Titanic?  (Buzz note: Please take note that I have corrected this question.)

3. In the movie Field of Dreams, what was the grown-up profession of Archie Moore (Burt Lancaster)?

4. What did the farmers in The Magnificent Seven use to get the money to pay the gunmen?

5. What possession did Oskar Schindler (Liam Neeson) give away to bring to his factory the parents of a young woman who in his office begged him to save them?

6. What hobby did "Bertie" (Colin Firth) tell Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush) he had to do because it was what his father did, in the movie The King's Speech?

7. What was the name of Jonah's (Ross Malinger's) teddy bear in Sleepless in Seattle?

8. True or False? For a school play, Scout (Mary Badham), the daughter of Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck) in To Kill a Mockingbird, wore a ghost costume. (Buzz note: Ooops! I originally made a mistake here - must have had Hallowe'en on my mind - it was a school play - thanks to Trout Giggles for the correction)

9. "AU 1" was the car licence plate in what movie?

10. What was Lizzie (Keira Knightly) doing at the very beginning of Pride and Prejudice?

11. What fruit did the king's gardener write a book about in the movie A Little Chaos, which starred Alan Rickman and Kate Winslet?

12. What were the two choices for lunch at the end of the movie Trading Places?

13. What do the movies Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and The DaVinci Code have in common?

14. What did Wind in His Hair (Rodney Grant) take from John Dunbar (Kevin Costner) in Dances With Wolves?

15. In Meet Joe Black, what did Joe Black (Brad Pitt) like the taste of?

16. What was the unexpected gift that Jamal Wallace (Rob Brown) gave to Claire (Anna Paquin) in Finding Forrester?

17. What kind of car did Idi Amin (Forest Whitaker) give as a gift to Nicholas Garrigan (James McAvoy) in The Last King of Scotland?

18. In Lord of the Rings, Return of the King, who handed the crown to Gandalf (Ian McKellen) to put on the head of Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen)? (just the screen name is sufficient)

19. Where was the stolen money hidden in the movie "Night of the Hunter"?

20. In the movie "The Prince and Me", what two words does Paige Morgan (Julia Stiles) say when she digs a shovel into the ground at a ground-breaking ceremony in Denmark?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Please give it a try.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

As promised, this quiz is now unlocked. I still would hope you would send your answers in a PN (Private Message) but if you can't, as Mr. Darcy said to Mr. Bingley in the BBC Pride and Prejudice mini-series,"Go to it."

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    6 years ago

Well I was 19 of 20.......

But I won't post them till some others take their shots.....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.1    6 years ago

I confirm that NWM got 19 out of 20.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Okay, everyone, maybe I should just send my next movie quiz only to Nowhere Man in a Private Note.  

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
3.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    6 years ago

I guess they are just not interested brother....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Nowhere Man @3.1    6 years ago

Only 3 have tried to answer the questions so far. Tomorrow I will post the answers, so since I've seen your answers and know you got 19 correct, please don't post yours until after I've posted mine. I'll confirm they are the ones you sent to me already in a Private Note. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    6 years ago

Hey! What am I? Chopped liver? I answered the questions. Didn't do well, but I answered them

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2    6 years ago

Ooops!  Sorry.  Yes, you were the first one to  answer the questions.  So only you, Perrie and Nowhere Man tried.  As for chopped liver, Trout, I LOVE chopped liver, and even though there is no deli here that I've found, I actually make my own. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.1    6 years ago

I've never had it, but I would try it. It's goose liver pate, isn't it?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.2    6 years ago

Yes, goose liver pate is a fancy hors d'oeuvre or appetizer.  Kosher delis serve chopped chicken liver as an appetizer or in a sandwich, but my mother used to cheat and make it from beef liver.  However, I make it from duck liver.  I grind up some duck liver and a hard boiled egg, add chopped onion, pressed garlic and olive oil, a little salt and pepper, and voila - great to serve on Ritz crackers with a kosher old dill pickle.

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
4  tomwcraig    6 years ago

Sadly, I've only seen a handful of these films, and only really remember what occurred in the book for one of them rather than the movie.  And, by the way the name of Viggo Mortensen's character is misspelled in the question, it is Aragorn not Aragon.  Don't know if you were hit by the autocorrect bug there or not.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  tomwcraig @4    6 years ago

A typo - should not have misled anyone. I've corrected it.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Unfortunately, I have also only seen a handful of the movies.

I think I would have scored very well on the first quiz.

If another quiz is posted I'll try some guesses.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dave-2693993 @5    6 years ago

LOL. The next one is harder.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
6  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

Well I took the quiz and it was not easy. Two movies I never saw and the others I had not seen in a long time. So it was my best try and done without cheating (well the family chimed in from time to time)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6    6 years ago

I try to be really careful with the questions now.  When I used screen shots, they were identified using a web site like Tin Eye, and when I used quotations they were really easy to search, and for the next quiz I'm trying to make sure there is no mention of the answers on the web at all.  I thought that one of the best quizzes I did was one where I used pictures that were representative of important objects in the movies that were different from other movies. For example, I used a photo of a real falcon for the movie "The Maltese Falcon" and a picture of a pair of caged lovebirds for the movie "The Birds" (because that was the gift she brought to the house). 

Anyway, you did quite well with your answers, I think better than ever before.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Buzz, a little advice -   this quiz is much too difficult to attract many responses. (The other one was too easy)

I have seen most of the movies you use (never heard of The Prince and Me or A Little Chaos) but have not seen many of them in many years. Even if I had seen Sleepless In Seattle last month I dont think I would remmeber the name of the little boy's teddy bear though. I generally watch movies for the stories and the themes and the direction and the acting and the cinematography, not for the small details of what the characters did or owned or wore or ate, unless those things are integral to the story. 

I think you need a quiz that is more broad about the characters and the stories, and not so into items are tangential to what happens. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
7.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @7    6 years ago

I think that John explained it well. Better than I did. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
7.2  Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell @7    6 years ago
I think you need a quiz that is more broad about the characters and the stories, and not so into items are tangential to what happens.

Although I can agree with this overall, I feel the need to say that like any other hobby, moviephiles have different levels of interest. So making up quizzes and challenges are difficult. Buzz's knowledge of movies surpasses even mine. So the problem comes that a balance has to be struck between expert level knowledge and common knowledge.

You want a challenge but one that isn't so easy that the answers are common knowledge but they cant be so esoteric that it turns off the common viewer..... And then there is the internet.....

I think Buzz wants people to demonstrate their actual knowledge rather than their internet searching skills, and not everyone gets into the details like him and I do......

But I agree, people, characters, locations and storyline could make it more attractive to those wishing to engage....

I mean how many people are going to know the grade of rubies used in Dorothy's slippers? and compare that to how many know the color of Batman's cape?

Good point John, I wish there was an easy answer....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Nowhere Man @7.2    6 years ago

What IS the grade of rubies used in Dorothy's slippers, Nowhere Man?  I didn't know that. LOL.  But a question that most would know the answer to would be: "What jewel is the city that the Wizard is in named after?" Sorry, but I really have more respect for the intelligence of the quiz participants than to use that question - it would appear that I was mocking them (which I guess I did with that really easy quiz).

By the way, NWM, I thought you analyzed the matter and explained it really well.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @7    6 years ago

Okay, John, I do appreciate and respect your advice.  I guess the quizzes I produce are designed for persons who are as observant of details in movies as I am.  Of course the "really easy" quiz I proffered was more of a teaser and a joke, since the answers were apparent in the questions themselves. But I will continue to alternate between more difficult and easier quizzes and questions.  The next quiz I will post will be different.  As I once did before it will consist of pictures that will be clues.  The pictures will not be screen shots as that would make them identifiable using an internet search, but they will be items that are symbolic of the title or something else of basic importance to the film.  For example, I might use the photo of a live falcon or a map of Malta as a clue to the title The Maltese Falcon, or a picture of an old man in a boat fishing to be a clue for The Old Man and the Sea (as I explained to Perrie in a comment above).  Some will be easy, and some will be harder, but if there is no challenge, what's the purpose of a quiz?  At least I have been using more recent films, rather than ones that were produced before most NT members were born, but that does not mean that I will not throw in the odd question about them now and then.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.3    6 years ago

Buzz, 

1. What is the name of the gambling bet Paul Newman's character Paul Newman's character regularly plays in "Nobody's Fool? 

2. What type of sandwiches does Tom Cruise make for his kids in "War Of The Worlds"?

3. In "A Few Good Men". what do the characters eat when they have lunch on Jack Nicholson's patio at Guantanamo ? 

4. What kind of candy does Brandon De Wilde (Joey) eat in Shane? 

5. What brand of cigarettes do the doomed American soldiers smoke in "Bataan" ? 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.3.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @7.3.1    6 years ago

LOL.  Okay, John, you made your point.  I'll ease up on the insignificant details.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.3.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.3.2    6 years ago

Would a question like "In what city did Sam and Jonah live before they moved to Seattle? in the movie Sleepless in Seattle?" be acceptable?  I assume you SHOULD know the answer to that one.

I won't bother to ask a question like "What was the name of the ship on which Jack (Leo DiCaprio) met Rose (Kate Winslet)?" or "What did the Titanic hit that caused it to sink?" because I think it would be an insult to everyone's intelligence.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

As promised, as it is now early Tuesday morning, here are the answers:

1.   a harmonica
  2.   He said that the other night he slept under a bridge.
  3.   a doctor
  4.   the old man's gold pocket watch
  1.   his watch
  2.   collecting stamps
  3.   Howard
  4.   False
  5.   Goldfinger (a James Bond movie)
  6.  Reading a book while walking
  7.  pears
  8.  lobster or cracked crab
  9.  The Holy Grail
  10.  his hat
  11.  peanut butter
  12.  a signed copy of William Forrester's book
  13.  Mercedes Benz 2-seater convertible
  14.  Gimli
  15.  a cloth doll
  16.  "farm girl"

Although I'm sure it will be quickly buried because of the election and its results (even I'm interested in seeing them and until now I was never interested in the American mid-term elections) I am now posting the new quiz which uses images as clues, rather than text.