╌>

Hospital worker fired after wearing Confederate shirt with noose to polls

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hal-a-lujah  •  6 years ago  •  181 comments

Hospital worker fired after wearing Confederate shirt with noose to polls
The former cop had been wrongly identified as an election worker at first before local media outlets revealed his actual occupation.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A hospital worker from Mississippi went viral this week — and is now jobless — thanks to his outfit choice on Election Day.

Clayton Hickey, of Olive Branch, thought it would be a good idea to wear a Confederate flag T-shirt with a noose and the words “Mississippi Justice” emblazoned on the front .

His picture was taken at the polls on Tuesday and posted online for all to see. Social media users called Hickey out for the move, with many blasting him as racist.

The former cop had been wrongly identified as an election worker at first before local media outlets revealed his actual occupation.

“Clayton Hickey needs to be fired immediately,” wrote one Twitter user in response . “He cannot be trusted to provide care to ALL patients of @RegOneHealthFDN, nor should he be able to be hired by anyone else in a role that is responsible for the well-being of others.”

Hickey’s employer, Regional One Health in Memphis, received countless messages on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday — calling for his termination — before officials finally decided to give the EMT the boot.

“Regional One Health is committed to a safe, secure, and comfortable work environment for our patients, guests, employees, and medical staff,” the hospital said in a statement , noting how “all allegations of inappropriate behavior and violations of trust involving employees are reviewed and investigated.”

“We understand and appreciate the intense feelings related to this situation, but it is our duty to perform a thorough due diligence to verify the truth,” the statement said .

“As of today, November 8, 2018, we have completed our investigation and what we learned led to the termination of the employee in question. Regional One Health holds employees to a high standard. We are committed to upholding our mission to provide compassionate care and exceptional services to all. This includes fostering a safe and protected work and care environment for all. Behaviors contrary to these principles are unacceptable and will not be tolerated.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

Former cop, now former EMT.  I wonder what would make this racist be so comfortable wearing such a hateful shirt in public.  Hmmmm ...

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    6 years ago

I try not to wear anything that isn't MFCB approved to the polls. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dean Moriarty @1.1    6 years ago

Well, as this article demonstrates, there is no prohibition of what you are allowed to wear to the polls.  It may not work out well for you in the end, but it will ultimately be your decision that results in the loss of your job.  If the polls were run by the owner of NT, there would be a dress code imposed, and you would be sent away if you didn’t say please and thank you.

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.2  PJ  replied to  Dean Moriarty @1.1    6 years ago

What is MFCB?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.3  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  PJ @1.1.2    6 years ago

Depends.  On the one hand , it’s a site that NT now relies on to determine if an opinion can be presented here.  It’s such an obscure site that I can’t even find a link for it.

On the other hand, ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=MFCB&amp=true

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Dean Moriarty  replied to  PJ @1.1.2    6 years ago

It's really MBFC. 

It's kind of like the thought police. Some people that have no respect for freedom of speech turn to them for guidance on what books to burn, sites to ban and stuff like that. Anything that might possibly offend snowflakes will not be given MBFC approval. They really frown on people that think outside the box. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.5  PJ  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.1.3    6 years ago

I wish I had an opportunity to have participated in that discussion.  It was a great piece and you nailed it.

It's rare that you and I disagree and as much as you and I hate censorship I am surprised we are on opposite sides of this argument.  But I respect your opinion.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.6  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dean Moriarty @1.1.4    6 years ago

It's really MBFC. 

That’s funny.  No wonder I couldn’t find it.  Apparently BF was at fault when he censored the opinion piece I seeded then, since this was his closing comment:

Source unapproved by MFCB for seeding on this site. Article Image violates TOS

Even funnier is that the B and the F are the two letters that BF couldn’t keep straight.  Lol.  Now I need to change my avatar ... or just keep it that way as a reminder of that funny mod fail.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.7  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  PJ @1.1.5    6 years ago

I’m not sure that we actually are on opposite sides.  Do you think a private sector employer shouldn’t be allowed to fire someone for publicly expressing an opinion that could hurt their business? Why should it be different for the public sector?  Would you trust the EMT company that employs this cretin?  Would it not have an obvious impact in police and community relations when a cop is seen wearing that shirt?

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.8  PJ  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.1.7    6 years ago

Good points.  I'm saying that the article doesn't express any other reason for firing him other than the shirt.  What you've mentioned are certainly responsible reasons.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.9  JBB  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.1.1    6 years ago

NT? The Noose Talkers...

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    6 years ago

So according to your logic, all cops and EMT's could be racist

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.2.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    6 years ago

Exactly.  jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif  jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif  jrSmiley_23_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.2.1    6 years ago

WRONG!!!!!!

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.3  epistte  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    6 years ago
So according to your logic, all cops and EMT's could be racist

Anybody could be racist.

Good riddance to racist trash. Should we be surprised that you are defending a bigot?  You have to be unusually stupid to wear something like this to vote, even when you're a Klan supporter.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.2.4  cjcold  replied to  epistte @1.2.3    6 years ago

As a long time paramedic, here to say that not many professional life savers are racist.

Everybody is just a sack of meat with a medical problem to be solved. That's the mindset.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  cjcold @1.2.4    6 years ago
Everybody is just a sack of meat with a medical problem to be solved

Oddly, I find this very comforting

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.3  Spikegary  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    6 years ago

Number 1, the shirt has a stupid and hateful message, the guy wearing it is an ass.

Number 2, that all being said, why are you not defending his 1st Amendment Rights of free speech?  If someone on the left was wearing a t-shirt, with, say....a picture of President Trump hanging from a noose, would you defend their right to free speech?

It's always fun to watch people that will defend someone's right to free speech ot the death and then convict someone else for the same thing because they disagree with the message.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.3.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Spikegary @1.3    6 years ago

His First Amendment rights are intact. He has not been incarcerated.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.3.2  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Spikegary @1.3    6 years ago

why are you not defending his 1st Amendment Rights of free speech?

Because actions have thresholds.  When they cross into death wishing an entire race, I have zero sympathy for how society deals with them.  No, it shouldn’t be cause to be arrested, but is sure as hell is grounds for any employer to immediately fire his stupid ass and permanently bar him from the properties.  He needs to run his own business if that’s the image he wants to project, then the loss of business can only damage his dumb ass.

As far as your question about a hanging Trump, it’s not even in the same ballpark.  One idiot President* is not an equal comparison to a race of people.  Not to mention that a noose is a symbol for slavery and oppression, not a symbol associated with political angst against a white President*.  One of your worst comparisons to date.

Keep up the good work in trying to protect these lowlifes.  It helps us see who you really are.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.3.3  Spikegary  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.3.2    6 years ago

So, everyone has rights, as long as you get to dctate what the cut-off for those rights are.  Hmmm.....yeah, I'm sure that will pass a constitutional test.

Just because it makes you unhappy isn't a qualifying event.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.3.4  Spikegary  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.3.2    6 years ago

BTW, See number 1 in my first comment.  Try to stop insulting people because you disagree with them.  That shows us who you really are.

Adult conversations don't involve insulting others.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.3.5  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Spikegary @1.3.3    6 years ago

So, everyone has rights, as long as you get to dctate what the cut-off for those rights are.

Lol - what do I have to do with anyone’s rights?  I have an opinion, just like you.  This moron you are defending, illustrates how a working democracy functions.  He was shit-canned by societal forces, not legal forces.  Why are you so gung-ho to support the nasty racist that nobody else wants anything to do with?  That includes his former employer.  

Just because it makes you unhappy isn't a qualifying event.

Aparently it makes you giddy when white rednecks exhibit public displays of death wishing the black race.  Keep fighting for him though, NT needs to see that side of you.

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.3.6  GregTx  replied to  Spikegary @1.3.3    6 years ago

It's apparent that the wrongness of this is lost on the SJW-minded here.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2  luther28    6 years ago

Did not think that one through I suppose.

Should have stuck with an all white tee, to express....... I don't know, His purity?

As a wise man said: "Stupid is as stupid does"

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    6 years ago

Would someone who thinks that T is not offensive please explain why?

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1  epistte  replied to  JBB @3    6 years ago

Because in their mind, it's normal to be a Klansman.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.2  Jack_TX  replied to  JBB @3    6 years ago

I think the shirt is completely offensive. 

But I defend his right to wear it, and I certainly question his firing.  I'll be interested to see how that holds up when he files a complaint with the DOL.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4  PJ    6 years ago

I'm not clear what exactly this person did to be fired.  His shirt is certainly offensive but it's his freedom of speech and he should be permitted to express his views on his own time without recourse.

Now, if there was evidence that he was not meeting his performance requirements or that he violated some trust then there would be cause for his termination.  The article doesn't site the reason for his dismissal.

I don't think wearing a shirt is cause.  To me it's the same as when the women was fired for giving the President's motorcade the finger when they passed her.  

This is dangerous and one of the reasons why the country is going downhill.  

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
4.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  PJ @4    6 years ago
he should be permitted to express his views on his own time without recourse.

Not so much in a right to work state. That's my bitch about right to work states you can lose your job for Any reason under the sun. Anything !

Fired, yur outta here...

my kid's friend needs your job at half your wages ...Bye

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Jack_TX  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1    6 years ago
That's my bitch about right to work states you can lose your job for Any reason under the sun. Anything !

No.  You can't.

Sophomore Guide
4.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Jack_TX @4.1.1    6 years ago
No.  You can't.

Yes you certainly can and people do.

The Right to work includes the right to fire at will for no reason . 

Fire at Will

Employment at will is based on the principal that the employer and employee are free agents who enter an employment agreement voluntarily. The agreement can be broken by either party without notice -- the employee can resign anytime he chooses, just as the employer can fire him at any time. While many think that they cannot be fired without cause such as poor performance, unacceptable behavior or an economic downturn, that is only true in Montana -- and then only after a probationary period. Exceptions occur, and if you are fired at will it is up to you to prove otherwise.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.2    6 years ago
Yes you certainly can and people do.

Dude... I do employment compliance and compensation consulting.  In Texas.  

No.  You can't fire somebody for "any reason under the sun".  Trust me...I've had clients try and had to help them clean up the mess.

You cannot be fired for refusing to blow your boss.  Even after said boss documents your "poor performance" at work.  Or reporting your supervisor's marijuana use.  Or refusing to break the law.  Or being married to a woman who drives up the company health insurance rates with her cancer claims.

Seriously, I could go on all day.

Sophomore Guide
4.1.4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Jack_TX @4.1.3    6 years ago
In Texas.   No.  You can't fire somebody for "any reason under the sun".  Trust me.

Considering these are state laws and varies greatly so we are probably both correct. I was referring to the right to work laws I lived under for 17 years in Florida.

And that is how it was there They didn't need a reason, IF they wanted you gone... You were. 

I have friend there still and not long ago one was fired for "his attitude" come to find out his attitude was....He was working in was a small airplane repair shop and They thought he had seen something being that was being done illegally. ( He found out thru a employee he had kinda friended.)

It was common knowledge in Florida that you were certainly an easily expendable commodity especially in any construction trade in central Florida for the past 20 so odd years.

Fuck right to work it should be called right to fire at will where I come from. 

PS: I'm an americans I figure I already have the right to work. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.5  Jack_TX  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.4    6 years ago
Considering these are state laws and varies greatly so we are probably both correct. I was referring to the right to work laws I lived under for 17 years in Florida.

Federal employment protections still take precedence.  

Now...it is easier to fire somebody in a RTW state...oh hell yeah.  But it's not the "any reason" nonsense union-heads try to get everybody panicked about.

I have friend there still and not long ago one was fired for "his attitude" come to find out his attitude was....He was working in was a small airplane repair shop and They thought he had seen something being that was being done illegally. ( He found out thru a employee he had kinda friended.)

The DOL would have a field day.

Sophomore Guide
4.1.6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Jack_TX @4.1.5    6 years ago
The DOL would have a field day.

Doubtful My friend had no proof of anything. I lived there for 17 years it was common knowledge that employers held all the cards. I'd say that hasn't changed much in Florida. 

luther28
Sophomore Silent
4.2  luther28  replied to  PJ @4    6 years ago

While I see the free speech angle, there is such a thing a basic human decency and common sense.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.2.1  PJ  replied to  luther28 @4.2    6 years ago

Perhaps but I think without additional cause this is censorship.  He was on his own time.    

Personally, I probably would have just ignored him.  This has given him a platform and creating a martyr for a certain faction of people.  He'll be on some right leaning show soon as the alt rights new spokesperson. 

luther28
Sophomore Silent
4.2.2  luther28  replied to  PJ @4.2.1    6 years ago
Perhaps but I think without additional cause this is censorship.

Yes I suppose it is and you are correct with the martyrdom (that is without a doubt), but I suppose the main question one would ask, is why would one want to wear such a thing to begin with.

But different strokes for different folks I suppose, I just feel the fellow missed a stroke or two.

That's the tough thing regarding freedom of speech, defending the right, even when you don't agree with the message.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.2.3  PJ  replied to  luther28 @4.2.2    6 years ago
That's the tough thing regarding freedom of speech, defending the right, even when you don't agree with the message.

That's my point exactly.  I personally think it's offensive and deplorable but I worry that if I censor this man, he could censor me.

I'm already censored enough on this site!!!  jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.2.4  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  luther28 @4.2.2    6 years ago

The only reason I seeded this article was the noose.  We’ve all seen similar alarmist articles over the presentation of confederate flags by themselves.  There is a weak argument to be made that it represents heritage not fate.  However, when it is accompanied by a noose that argument goes out the window.  Where would you even buy such a disgusting shirt?  My guess is that he made it himself, and it was his conscience decision to add a noose.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.3  JohnRussell  replied to  PJ @4    6 years ago

I disagree PJ. With that shirt he announces to everyone that he is anti-social , and potentially violent. It is not a surprise at all that someone would lose their job for that. 

luther28
Sophomore Silent
4.3.1  luther28  replied to  JohnRussell @4.3    6 years ago

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.3.2  JohnRussell  replied to  luther28 @4.3.1    6 years ago

Well, he wore the t shirt. No one kept him out of the building or ripped it off his back. 

People suffer consequences for things they say all the time, even when those said things are protected by "rights". 

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.3.3  PJ  replied to  JohnRussell @4.3    6 years ago

The employer may have uncovered actions that support your assertion.  I'm pointing out that they didn't site anything other then what is currently out there in the public - his shirt.

I think there should be evidence other than a hunch or a shirt.  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.3.4  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  PJ @4.3.3    6 years ago

I'm pointing out that they didn't site anything other then what is currently out there in the public - his shirt.

I think there should be evidence other than a hunch or a shirt.  

My guess is that there could be a chance for this guy to get his job back, if he could provide evidence to support that he wore this tasteless shirt because he is an intentionally ironic individual who has a history of wearing controversial shirts that are opposite of his true feelings.  I highly doubt that is the case, but if he could show it to be true, and apologize for being so grossly offensive, maybe he could redeem himself.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.4  SteevieGee  replied to  PJ @4    6 years ago

Sure, he has a right to wear the shirt.  He has a right to his opinion and to express his opinion.  Once he expresses his opinion, however, he owns it and is responsible for it.  The people offended by his opinion also have a right to complain and express their opinions. His employer also has a right to fire him, especially in a right to work state like Mississippi.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.4.1  PJ  replied to  SteevieGee @4.4    6 years ago

True but there are not many actions that don't illicit a reaction.  Many times a negative provokes a negative and so on.  I imagine he will become the alt right's martyr of the month.  

I tend to ignore those I find vulgar and not worth my effort.  That reaction generally defuses the situation and it goes away without much fanfare.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
4.4.2  Rmando  replied to  SteevieGee @4.4    6 years ago

"His employer also has a right to fire him, especially in a right to work state like Mississippi."

So the people in this state should be deprived off their rights in their personal lives because they want to have the right not to be forced into a union?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.4.3  SteevieGee  replied to  Rmando @4.4.2    6 years ago

Unfortunately, that seems to be how it works,  While you aren't forced into a union, you also don't have a union to advocate for you.  If this guy was union he probably wouldn't have been fired.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.4.4  Jack_TX  replied to  Rmando @4.4.2    6 years ago
So the people in this state should be deprived off their rights in their personal lives because they want to have the right not to be forced into a union?

According to the Holy Doctrine of the Church of the Left....yes.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
4.4.5  Cerenkov  replied to  SteevieGee @4.4    6 years ago

Right to work has nothing to do with termination. Nothing.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.5  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  PJ @4    6 years ago

PJ, I assume you have a line somewhere that would change your mind.  What if his shirt simply said “all ni**ers, Jews, and Muslims need to die”?  Personally, if someone wants to wear that shirt, that should be their option.  But I have zero sympathy for them if they are served a severe form of social justice for their decision.  If they end up in the hospital or in the grave, I will have more sympathy for those who are charged with his beating than for him.  

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
4.5.1  lennylynx  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.5    6 years ago

That is exactly what his shirt DID say, just not in so many words.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.5.2  PJ  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.5    6 years ago

Of course I have a line.  It's normally in the form of a policy or law.  The shirt is offensive.  I'm just trying to consider at what point are we our own worst enemies by pointing out the obvious.  

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
4.5.3  Rmando  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.5    6 years ago

"If they end up in the hospital or in the grave, I will have more sympathy for those who are charged with his beating than for him."

And that sentiment makes you a bigger hater than this guy probably is. But that pro thug attitude is why the left didn't get their blue wave and why Trump is in the WH.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.5.4  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Rmando @4.5.3    6 years ago

Lol.  How do you figure?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.5.5  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  PJ @4.5.2    6 years ago

I meant a line specifically for shirt messages.  If I walked into work on Monday morning with a shirt celebrating mass shooters, or even was just seen at an event wearing that shirt, I would have zero expectation of not losing my private sector job because of it.  What if that tasteless decision caused my employer to lose a ton of business?  Free speech should have some reasonable limitations.  Just like you can’t scream “FIRE” in a crowded theatre, it is unreasonble to accept public displays that have the potential to provoke riots.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.5.6  PJ  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.5.5    6 years ago

Okay, yes that's a given but we are overlooking an important element in this specific case.  The general public did not know what this man's job was.  So, there could not be a "fire" moment. 

I do think that you already made an excellent point that after the man's job was revealed the employer had a responsibility to take action to ensure that certain members of the community not feel as though they would receive different or substandard care under him based on his public pronouncement.

It would be better that the employer express their reasons in full.  It would strengthen their decision, imo.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.6  Greg Jones  replied to  PJ @4    6 years ago

The left wingers are hung up on anything that appears to be evern remotely racist, fascist, white nationalist, etc., to somehow associate it with Trump. It's not working.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.6.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Greg Jones @4.6    6 years ago

Oh, so his shirt was “remotely racist”?

Ender
Professor Principal
4.6.2  Ender  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.6.1    6 years ago

The shirt is a death threat.

And they know it.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
4.7  Colour Me Free  replied to  PJ @4    6 years ago

Good morning PJ

Excellent comment .. I was searching for the words, but there was no need, for you had already found them..

Racism is not illegal (hate crimes are illegal) yet racism/white nationalism etc is being treated as though it is illegal, which fuel the fires of 'persecution' .. which in turn hands these hate groups a recruitment tool  ... there is at least one website dedicated to outing 'racists' and those exposed are losing their jobs... do I have sympathy, no ….. but these individuals expressing their belief systems are not committing a crime by doing so - offending others is not a crime either.

The US is on the slippery slope of censorship and loss of free speech .. places like Portland Oregon would really like to prevent certain type of free speech regarding opposing views..

Shutting up now!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.7.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Colour Me Free @4.7    6 years ago
these individuals expressing their belief systems are not committing a crime by doing so - offending others is not a crime either.

And they're also not being jailed for expressing their beliefs.  So, no, they're not being treated as if those beliefs are illegal.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
4.7.2  Colour Me Free  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.7.1    6 years ago

Awww okay .. he just lost his job, nothing to see here .. given the hysteria, I am willing to step out on the limb and state that if jail was an option he would be there....

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.7.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Colour Me Free @4.7.2    6 years ago
given the hysteria

So you're claiming his beliefs are being treated as criminal when they clearly are not, but we're the ones suffering from hysteria?

Ok.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.7.4  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Colour Me Free @4.7.2    6 years ago

He lost his job, not his fucking freedom (or freedumb in this case).  In fact, he continues to be free to wear the shirt he relished enough to risk his job.  This is America, and we are free to be as stupid as we please, so long as we are not breaking any laws.  If you think there is some injustice in this loser losing his job, why don’t you publicly offer some support for him.  Make sure it’s somewhere where your employer can see it.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.8  epistte  replied to  PJ @4    6 years ago
I'm not clear what exactly this person did to be fired.  His shirt is certainly offensive but it's his freedom of speech and he should be permitted to express his views on his own time without recourse.

All employee contracts have a morals clause that allow you to be fired if you do something that is outside acceptable behavior or if you get arrested.  His freedom of speech wasn't violated because he wasn't fired or arrested by the government for his shirt choice. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.8.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  epistte @4.8    6 years ago

He made a poor fashion choice when he got dressed that day. He knew he was going to the polls and chose that particular shirt.

I bet if he had just worn the shirt to Walmart or his local shooting range, nobody would give a shit. But he did wear it to the voting polls. Some might think he was intimidating. Who knows?

What is known is that his employer found out, probably thought "why that shirt on this particular day?" and decided to fire him because he should have known better than to wear that particular shirt to the polls.

Personally, I don't think the shirt is worthy of wrapping a baby's bottom

epistte
Junior Guide
4.8.2  epistte  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.8.1    6 years ago
He made a poor fashion choice when he got dressed that day. He knew he was going to the polls and chose that particular shirt.

Why would a rational person own this shirt? I would not use it  as a rag to clean windows

I bet if he had just worn the shirt to Walmart or his local shooting range, nobody would give a shit. But he did wear it to the voting polls. Some might think he was intimidating. Who knows?

Not everyone at the gun range are raging Klansmen. Somebody would care. 

What is known is that his employer found out, probably thought "why that shirt on this particular day?" and decided to fire him because he should have known better than to wear that particular shirt to the polls. Personally, I don't think the shirt is worthy of wrapping a baby's bottom.

I'd throw it in the trash but only after I cut it up because I would not want the trash collectors to think that I agreed with this bigoted idea.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.8.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  epistte @4.8.2    6 years ago
Not everyone at the gun range are raging Klansmen.

True...but this was Mississippi, Olive Branch to be specific. Ever been there?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.8.4  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.8.3    6 years ago

Miississippi?  Surprise, surprise!

U.S.

'Public Hanging' Remark Puts Spotlight On Miss. Senate Race

image001-png_162613.png.cf.jpg   EMILY WAGSTER PETTUS and ERRIN HAINES WHACK, Associated Press   Mon, Nov 12 10:19 PM EST  

giraffe-236364-1542050526300.jpg

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A video of a white U.S. senator from Mississippi making a flip reference to a "public hanging" is incensing voters in a special election runoff, drawing attention to the state's history of lynching and boosting Democrats' hope of pulling off a stunner in the Deep South.

Republican Cindy Hyde-Smith is facing former congressman and former U.S. agriculture secretary Mike Espy, a black Democrat, in a runoff Nov. 27. She was captured on video praising a supporter by declaring, "If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be on the front row."

After the video was made public Sunday, Hyde-Smith said her remark Nov. 2 at a campaign event in Tupelo was "an exaggerated expression of regard" for a friend who invited her to speak. "Any attempt to turn this into a negative connotation is ridiculous," she said.

Espy on Monday called the remark "disappointing and harmful."

"It reinforces stereotypes that we've been trying to get away from for decades, stereotypes that continue to harm our economy and cost us jobs," he told MSNBC's Chris Matthews.

At a news conference Monday with Republican Gov. Phil Bryant by her side, a stone-faced Hyde-Smith refused to answer questions about the hanging remark.

"I put out a statement yesterday, and that's all I'm going to say about it," she said.

Republicans have been counting on a Hyde-Smith victory over Espy as they try to expand their Senate majority. Her remark may not slow her down in the deeply conservative state, but it has highlighted a battle between Mississippi's past and future and put a painful coda to an election season marked by a resurgence of racism in Southern politics.

"It really rocked folks," said Democrat Rukia Lumumba, co-director of The Electoral Justice Project and a native Mississippian whose family has deep roots in the state's politics and civil rights activism. "The fact that she has yet to apologize, to recognize the impact of her comments or that people have suffered ... I hope it makes us feel the urgency."

The words undoubtedly raised the profile of a race that has largely flown under the national radar. Hyde-Smith was appointed to fill the seat vacated by longtime Republican Sen. Thad Cochran when he retired in April, and she ran this fall to hold the seat for the remaining two years of Cochran's term.

She and Espy each received about 41 percent of the vote in a four-person race to advance to the runoff. Another Republican won 16 percent.

The results suggest Espy has an uphill battle, but some in the state see him as a rare Mississippi Democrat who could pull off an upset. Buoyed by Democrat Doug Jones' victory in the U.S. Senate race in Alabama last year, Democrats have been organizing in Mississippi for months. Black voters in particular have powered the effort, seeing it as a moment for generational change.

"This race matters because voters are deciding: Are we going to move forward or are we going to move backward?" said LaTosha Brown, co-founder of Black Voters Matter Fund, a voter turnout group that was a key organizer behind Jones' victory.

According to the NAACP, 4,743 lynchings occurred in the United States between 1882 and 1968, and nearly 73 percent of the victims were black. Mississippi had 581 during that time — more than any other state.

Bryant, who appointed Hyde-Smith, defended her Monday, saying, "There was nothing in her heart of ill will."

"All of us in public life have said things on occasion that could have been phrased better," he said. "She meant no offense by that statement."

Mississippi has long struggled with race and racism in its politics.

The state still uses a state flag adopted in 1894 that includes the Confederate battle emblem, though all the state's public universities and several cities and counties have stopped flying it.

Another Republican from Mississippi, Trent Lott, lost his position as Senate majority leader in 2002 after saying at the 100th birthday party of South Carolina U.S. Sen. Strom Thurmond that Mississippi had proudly voted for Thurmond when he ran a segregationist campaign for president in 1948.

A Republican member of the Mississippi House, Rep. Karl Oliver, was criticized in May 2017 after he posted on Facebook that people should be lynched for removing Confederate monuments.

Espy in 1986 became the first African-American since Reconstruction to win a U.S. House seat in Mississippi. If he defeats Hyde-Smith, he would be the first African-American since Reconstruction to represent the state in the U.S. Senate.

Hyde-Smith, who is endorsed by President Donald Trump, is the first woman to represent Mississippi in either chamber of Congress and is trying to become the first woman elected to the U.S. Senate from the state.

AP VoteCast, a survey of the electorate, showed significant differences in voting behavior by age and race in Mississippi's special election. Hyde-Smith leaned heavily on the support of white voters, older ones in particular.

Overall, 57 percent of white voters supported Hyde-Smith, 21 percent voted for Espy and 18 percent supported Republican Chris McDaniel, who placed third last week. Black voters overwhelming broke for Espy: 83 percent supported the Democrat, according to AP VoteCast.

On Monday, local groups held a conference call to discuss their turnout strategy and response to Hyde-Smith's remarks. A protest is scheduled for Friday in front of Hyde-Smith's office.

Brown said Black Voters Matter, which has an office in the state, will hunker down there in the two weeks leading up to the runoff.

"This race is going to be won by folks from Mississippi," Brown said.

___

Associated Press reporter Hannah Fingerhut contributed. Whack reported from Philadelphia.

___

For AP's complete coverage of the U.S. midterm elections:  

epistte
Junior Guide
4.8.5  epistte  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.8.3    6 years ago

The closest that I've come to Mississippi is while visiting my relatives in Nashville TN vicinity. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.8.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  epistte @4.8.5    6 years ago

I go quite often...to visit the casinos

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.9  Spikegary  replied to  PJ @4    6 years ago

I agree with you.  Where is the ACLU?  This is their bread and butter.  They should have already filed suit on his behalf.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.9.1  epistte  replied to  Spikegary @4.9    6 years ago
I agree with you.  Where is the ACLU?  This is their bread and butter.  They should have already filed suit on his behalf.

His civil rights were not violated because a job is not a constitutional right. If he was fined or arrested for wearing it then the ACLU might have a reason to get involved.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    6 years ago

In a sense there is no difference between wearing a tee shirt with the confederate flag, a noose and the words "Mississippi Justice" than if he had worn a tee shirt with a swaztika, and a quote about killing Jews.  

The implication of the t shirt is EXTREMELY racist, and of course the wearer should pay a severe consequence like losing his job at a hospital. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
5.1  Rmando  replied to  JohnRussell @5    6 years ago

How about if he wore a t shirt that said #CancelAllBlacks? Would he deserve a promotion to the NYT like the bigot Sarah Jeong? How about if he wore a shirt calling for a ban on people due to their race and gender like Don Lemon believes? The outrage from the left would mean more if it weren't so blatantly inconsistent and hypocritical.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Rmando @5.1    6 years ago

Your white grievance does not become you. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
5.1.2  Rmando  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.1    6 years ago

So you have a problem with somebody being consistently anti racist but no problem with blatant racism as long as you agree with it.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Rmando @5.1    6 years ago

Depends, is he a big rugby fan and hates the All Blacks? 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
6  Rmando    6 years ago

Now we're just one step away from sending people off to reeducation camps if they don't express the right opinion in public. The social justice mob are a bunch of hypocritical Stalinists.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Rmando @6    6 years ago

The shirt advocates hanging black folks from trees.  Did you miss that?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.1    6 years ago

It is now "political correctness" to oppose advocacy for racial lynching. 

LOL. Maybe Rmando just needs to express himself more clearly. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
6.1.2  Rmando  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.1    6 years ago

And Black Panthers hanging outside of polling places with batons advocates using violence on voter who don't vote "right". The left has been making excuses for them for ten years.

Just because you interpret the shirt that way- and I don't approve of the shirt btw- doesn't mean social mobs should start policing what every person wears by threatening them with unemployment. Just because employers are afraid of backlash doesn't make it right. Just like I don't think the woman who flipped off the Trump motorcade should've been fired because it is a slippery slope.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.1.3  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Rmando @6.1.2    6 years ago

How would you feel about a school teacher who wears a tee shirt to school celebrating Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris?  Is that okay?

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
6.1.4  Colour Me Free  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.1.3    6 years ago

Why keep bringing up 'What if' I wore … to work … 'What if' so and so wore ….. to work?    the individual was fired for wearing an 'offensive' shirt on his own time!

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Ender  replied to  Colour Me Free @6.1.4    6 years ago

He also had two jobs (fired from) that are to serve the general public. He should be fired for wearing a shirt that is basically a death threat to a large part of that population he is supposed to serve.

I actually hate to do this as I am always against corporations yet in this instance they have every right to be concerned as to his judgement and treatment of the public at large.

I would also call for any congressman that decided to wear such a shirt, even if it was on his off time, to resign. They are there to work for all constituents, not the ones they consider worthy.

He has a right to wear the shirt, there is also no protection from consequences.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.1.6  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Colour Me Free @6.1.4    6 years ago

the individual was fired for wearing an 'offensive' shirt on his own time!

His job was to administer life saving services to community members in a health crisis.  I suppose you are completely ambivalent to what he wears on his own time only because the noose on his shirt isn’t directed towards your particular race.  I bet you’d have a different opinion if it was a black EMT in your community with a shirt that said ‘Kill Whitey’.  Yes, “if” is an important aspect to this discussion.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.1.7  Thrawn 31  replied to  Rmando @6.1.2    6 years ago
And Black Panthers hanging outside of polling places with batons advocates using violence on voter who don't vote "right". The left has been making excuses for them for ten years.

Far as I know they didn't actually do anything except hold the door for people. If you have different information please share it.

Just because you interpret the shirt that way- and I don't approve of the shirt btw- doesn't mean social mobs should start policing what every person wears by threatening them with unemployment.

If you work for a company, especially a larger one, and run around in a shirt like that you are fucking done, end of story. This is not a concept to figure out, they value their image infinitely more than they do one retarded employee. 

Just because employers are afraid of backlash doesn't make it right.

Doesn't make it wrong either. They are a for profit entity first and foremost, and if they think you will harm the bottom line then kiss your ass goodbye. 

Just like I don't think the woman who flipped off the Trump motorcade should've been fired because it is a slippery slope.

She was being stupid as well. Actions have consequences. Cameras are everywhere, something people may want to keep in mind. If I own a business and you do something dumb that will make me look bad if I keep you around, kiss your ass goodbye. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.1.8  Thrawn 31  replied to  Colour Me Free @6.1.4    6 years ago
the individual was fired for wearing an 'offensive' shirt on his own time!

So? 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
6.1.9  Rmando  replied to  Thrawn 31 @6.1.7    6 years ago

"Far as I know they didn't actually do anything except hold the door for people. If you have different information please share it."

So wearing paramilitary uniforms and carrying weapons is necessary to hold the door for people? Was it a particularly windy day and they needed sticks to keep the doors from slamming?

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
6.1.10  Colour Me Free  replied to  Ender @6.1.5    6 years ago
He has a right to wear the shirt, there is also no protection from consequences.

Sure .. 'you' can express yourself anyway 'you' want, but if 'we' do not like it 'we' will fuck your life up …..? 

Sorry Ender I respect your opinion, but this does not sound like the American I know and love..  Seems like hate groups are taking over, some are just disguised as 'doing the right thing' …. ?  Social media knows no bounds and can destroy peoples lives because 'someone' simply does not like another .. yet that is not a problem, offensive … nor hateful?

Bullying is a bad thing unless someone is bullied by the 'righteous side' … ?  The shit is just getting too deep .. no matter how one slices it - hate is permeating everything..  I do not like what you represent, so here are the consequences you will suffer because of it...?

No thanks, I will side with the right to free speech and the expression of said speech - consequences (?) are 'seemingly' subject to enforcement through mob rule (run to twitter, cause a feeding frenzy - it will be fun, 'we' can 'take this individual 'we' do not agree with down?) .. nothing gives anyone the right to censor nor take ones lively hood based on that individuals expression of beliefs or opinion ……… had this EMT been under performing when a person of color was in his care, then fire him … it would be easy enough to have checked his performance while he was working or by questioning others, were there complaints .. there are cameras everywhere - we have cams in the ambulances here!

The shirt is offensive, and not something (in my opinion) one should be wearing in public .. but it is not against the law... 

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
6.1.11  Colour Me Free  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.1.6    6 years ago

'If' there were complaints about his performance, or lack thereof with a person of color - by all means fire him .. absent of that, there is no proof he treated blacks any different than whites when on a call..

I bet you’d have a different opinion if it was a black EMT in your community with a shirt that said ‘Kill Whitey’.  Yes, “if” is an important aspect to this discussion.

On his own time?  Hell no, I would not have a problem with it .. should I feel threatened by a T shirt?  My lil family is a mixed bag of nutz here - diversity is not an issue … my own son went through a phase (when he became involved with Black Lives Matter) of 'kill whitey'  even his lil brother and I were racist .. so spare me the theatrics of the 'what ifs' .. I have already been there and done that! 

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.12  Ender  replied to  Colour Me Free @6.1.10    6 years ago

Laws are not in play.

We can agree to disagree. The company has a right to not want an employee that wears around a death threat to a large portion of the people in their care. One that undermines their objectivity, performance and trust.

Civil servants should be and are, held to a higher standard.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.1.13  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Colour Me Free @6.1.11    6 years ago

I am white and my two daughters are white.  One of them is married to a black man and has biracial children.  The other is single, has biracial  children, and is only attracted to black men.  I’m no stranger to diversity either.  I feel sorry for those who claim to be diverse, but somehow can’t empathize with those who are immersed in real diversity and do feel a sense of outrage by someone who would wear a symbol of racism garnished with a noose.  It tells me that you have only fooled yourself into thinking you are familiar with diversity.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
6.1.14  Nowhere Man  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.1.13    6 years ago

Two people got married and had children, so what.

I'm sure your very proud and are a great grandpa....

But from what I understand it's not unusual, kinda like part of the human condition.

I hear it happens all the time, many people getting married or having children everyday.

Why are yours specifically considered "Real" diversity more than any others?

Because of how YOU characterize it......

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.15  epistte  replied to  Rmando @6.1.2    6 years ago

How would they know who you voted for, or do not understand the concept of a secret ballot? 

I would not be intimidted by a few yahoos outside of the polling place. There were 3 rednecks outside of my polling place in November of 2016 and I told them if they were going to stand there then they needed to show some respect and open the door for people. He sheepishly opened the door.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.1.16  Thrawn 31  replied to  Rmando @6.1.9    6 years ago
So wearing paramilitary uniforms and carrying weapons is necessary to hold the door for people?

Did they do anything? 

Was it a particularly windy day and they needed sticks to keep the doors from slamming?

I don't know, was it? 

carrying weapons

Second amendment [deleted]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.1.17  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Nowhere Man @6.1.14    6 years ago

Why are yours specifically considered "Real" diversity more than any others?

Because of how YOU characterize it......

How can someone defend free speech and equal rights at the same time, if they are afraid to deal with racism that occurs as a result of free speech?  There are no laws to prevent this jackass from wearing that shirt in public.  There is only a social reaction to it, and losing his job is a function of that reaction.  If he wants to push his right to be a social outcast, he needs to accept that it is a right that comes with consequences.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.1.18  Thrawn 31  replied to  Rmando @6.1.9    6 years ago
o wearing paramilitary uniforms and carrying weapons is necessary to hold the door for people

Did they do something wrong?

Was it a particularly windy day and they needed sticks to keep the doors from slamming?

I don't know, do you? 

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
6.1.19  Colour Me Free  replied to  Ender @6.1.12    6 years ago
The company has a right to not want an employee that wears around a death threat to a large portion of the people in their care.

Fair enough Ender … I do not condone the mans actions .. and the company has the right, but not without cause - I have lived in a right to work state all my life .. this man has a law suit for wrongful termination 'unless' he has had prior write ups / letters in his files over conduct … on probation … violated company code of conduct/ethics? - I have not followed up on the story - 

Civil servants should be and are, held to a higher standard.

One would think so ..  why are the politicians in DC not held to the same "higher standard" .. why were either H. or Trump even allowed to run for president under this "higher standard" civil servants should be held up to? …. in my opinion a "higher standard" only exists for the lil guy .. it comes down to this guy was able to be taken down .. he is the evil man expressing his 1st amendment right on a t shirt .. watch and cheer as he suffers his consequences (?)

I agree to disagree.. thanks for the civility as always.. much appreciated.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1.20  JBB  replied to  Colour Me Free @6.1.19    6 years ago

You are confusing Right To Work with At Will Employment...

RTW is about unions. AWE is you can be fired for no reason.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
6.1.21  Colour Me Free  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.1.13    6 years ago
 It tells me that you have only fooled yourself into thinking you are familiar with diversity.

Tell that to my black son .. who happened to be here with some of his buddies today planting a big Blue Spruce for me - he and his friends defended the mans right to free speech  .. neither he or his friends condoned it .. all said the death threat was on display, yet it was still a t shirt...

Outrage?  You know nothing other than your opinion and your outrage over my not sharing the same thought process as you .. I am opened minded and multi racial in the choice of my sexual partners .. since ones diversity is somehow related to racial preference when it comes to a sexual relationship to you...  I feel sorry for individuals that think they know about another's diversity - as it tells me they are clueless

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
6.1.22  Colour Me Free  replied to  JBB @6.1.20    6 years ago

Mississippi is interesting

Mississippi state law covers a variety of areas of employment, including child labor, wages, hours and the "right to work." Workers in the state should know their rights if they suspect they are being violated. Employers in Mississippi should take care to observe all relevant law to avoid any violations that could affect their bottom line.

Right To Work
Mississippi is a "right to work" state. This means that a union shop does not exist in Mississippi and is barred by law. Employees have a right to work regardless of whether or not they are members of labor unions or other labor organizations.

Discrimination
Mississippi is an "at-will" employment state. This means that an employer may terminate an employee at any time for any reason or no reason at all. However, the law does provide a few reasons employers may not terminate an employee. For private employers, there is only one restriction--employees may not be discriminated against on the basis of military service. The public sector has more restrictions. Employees may not be discriminated against on the basis of sex, race, religion or physical handicap.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
6.1.23  Colour Me Free  replied to  JBB @6.1.20    6 years ago

Ooo by the way I was confused .. as Montana allows Union shops .. guess I do not know what Montana is a called .. I have not found what I am looking for, yet .. too many links ..

this is Montana employment laws

Since most of us spend roughly 40 hours in an office, factory, or out in the field for some kind of job, it should be no surprise that there is a whole body of law addressing the rights and responsibilities of both employees and employers. Welcome to FindLaw's section covering the employment-related laws of Montana. This section covers a wide range of topics that are important to Montana employees, including rules for overtime pay, minimum wage, whistleblower protections, and even a listing of the state's legal holidays. Click on a link below to learn more about Montana's employment laws.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.24  Ender  replied to  Colour Me Free @6.1.19    6 years ago
in my opinion a "higher standard" only exists for the lil guy

I don't know if you know, but I live in Mississippi. Sadly people like the guy in the shirt are all too common.

The woman in the run off senate race got herself into a little trouble these last few days. Caught on video, she walked up to a man she knew and told him, 'I would go and stand front row with you at a public hanging any day'. It was all over the local news with the racist connotations. She of course said it was all taken in the wrong context and it is nothing.

All I could do was shake my head. Sadly she will probably still be elected. It was a close race with the top two but with the tea party guy out (with about 15 - 20 percent of the vote), all of his votes will probably go to her.

Employees may not be discriminated against on the basis of sex, race, religion or physical handicap.

Though I think they conveniently left sexual orientation out of that. They also passed a so called religious freedom act where companies could refuse service to the public at their choosing, based on their so called religious views. So far nothing has come from it yet as most companies seem to be smart enough not to turn away any profit.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.25  Tessylo  replied to  Rmando @6.1.9    6 years ago

Yawn, that is such old news.  Why the need to dredge it up?  A couple of guys were at a polling place.  End of story.  

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
6.1.26  Spikegary  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.1.3    6 years ago

Not in his/her place of work?  I'd feel they are idiots, but they also are allowed rights.  Ever see the photos of Wal-martians?  I think they look stupid also, but it's their freedom of speech.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
6.1.27  Spikegary  replied to  Thrawn 31 @6.1.7    6 years ago

Yet, he wasn't wearing anything that identified him as an employee of any specific company.  I can't believe people like you are willing to start the slide down that slippery slope.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Rmando @6    6 years ago
Now we're just one step away from sending people off to reeducation camps if they don't express the right opinion in public. The social justice mob are a bunch of hypocritical Stalinists.

Lol, some people will defend anything, it is hilarious. 

epistte
Junior Guide
6.2.1  epistte  replied to  Thrawn 31 @6.2    6 years ago
Lol, some people will defend anything, it is hilarious. 

Call the WAHHHHHbulance.

Ender
Professor Principal
7  Ender    6 years ago

Considering a black man is in a highly publicized senate election, that is now going into a run-off, his intention is loud and clear.

He knew exactly what he was doing.

There is probably good reason he is a 'former' cop.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
8  lennylynx    6 years ago

Nothing to see here folks, it's just Donald Trump making America hate again.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
10  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

Lol, such a fucking idiot.

GregTx
PhD Guide
11  GregTx    6 years ago

Has anyone read anything that would indicate this persons beliefs, that's more concrete than a picture and others opinion of his fashion choice on election day?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
11.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  GregTx @11    6 years ago

Fashion choice?  Is that a serious question?

GregTx
PhD Guide
11.1.1  GregTx  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @11.1    6 years ago

Yes. Have you seen any articles that include comments from people who know him or social media posts?

epistte
Junior Guide
11.1.2  epistte  replied to  GregTx @11.1.1    6 years ago
Yes. Have you seen any articles that include comments from people who know him or social media posts?

Why on earth would you own a Klan shirt with a noose if you're not proud racist? 

GregTx
PhD Guide
11.1.3  GregTx  replied to  epistte @11.1.2    6 years ago

I'm don't know, that's why I asked if anyone had read anything that might verify that he's racist. Despite all the triggering symbols, the statement being made by the shirt is dependent on the individuals viewpoint. It could be interpreted as racist or as a statement about Mississippi and the Souths, overall, dark history of lynch mob justice.

epistte
Junior Guide
11.1.4  epistte  replied to  GregTx @11.1.3    6 years ago
I'm don't know, that's why I asked if anyone had read anything that might verify that he's racist. Despite all the triggering symbols, the statement being made by the shirt is dependent on the individuals viewpoint. It could be interpreted as racist or as a statement about Mississippi and the Souths, overall, dark history of lynch mob justice.

The fact that he chose to wear this shirt to vote says that he is a racist. He could have covered it up with a coat of some sort, but obviously he didn't. 

You could have just as easily claimed that just because there was something overtly racist on his Facebook page doesn't prove that he is racist because he could claim that his page was hacked. Why do you try to defend these actions by asking such obtuse questions? It's almost as if you are trying to make excuses for him.

GregTx
PhD Guide
11.1.5  GregTx  replied to  epistte @11.1.4    6 years ago

I'm not defending anyone, simply asking for more information than what I have seen.

GregTx
PhD Guide
11.1.6  GregTx  replied to  epistte @11.1.4    6 years ago

You think that it's obtuse to question whether or not it's okay to proclaim a person's beliefs based on the the clothes they wear?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
11.1.7  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  GregTx @11.1.5    6 years ago

See 4.3.4

epistte
Junior Guide
11.1.8  epistte  replied to  GregTx @11.1.6    6 years ago
You think that it's obtuse to question whether or not it's okay to proclaim a person's beliefs based on the the clothes they wear?

That graphic with the noose makes a very obvious  and bold statement.  You do not buy it or choose to wear it to the polls by mistake.  Unless he is homeless and that is the only shirt that he had to wear, he is proudly proclaiming his racism.  He could have chose to wear it inside out in an effort to hide the racist imagery, but he did not.

user image
Freshman Silent
11.1.9    replied to  epistte @11.1.8    6 years ago
You do not buy it or choose to wear it to the polls by mistake.

E.A  WOW!!!

1) No we not only have " Thought Police " but..

2) What YOU wear.

3) But not what your DNA Gender is

4) What WE say you are!!

user image
Freshman Silent
11.1.10    replied to  @11.1.9    6 years ago
E.A  WOW!!!

E.A  Any one have the meaning of the WORD " Dystopia "?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
11.1.11  pat wilson  replied to  GregTx @11.1.3    6 years ago

jrSmiley_76_smiley_image.gif

epistte
Junior Guide
11.1.12  epistte  replied to  @11.1.9    6 years ago
E.A  WOW!!!  1) No we not only have " Thought Police " but..

How can you be judged until you verbalize your ideas? Thoughts alone cannot be judged.

2) What YOU wear.

We are always judged on what we wear and how we look.

I assume that you are referring to the difference between a person's biological/physical gender and their psychological gender identity.  Trans' people are judged, just as CIS and LGB people are judged.

4) What WE say you are!!

HUH?

user image
Freshman Silent
11.1.13    replied to  epistte @11.1.12    6 years ago
We are always judged on what we wear and how we look.

I assume that you are referring to the difference between a person's biological/physical gender and their psychological gender identity.  Trans' people are judged, just as CIS and LGB people are judged.

We are always judged on what we wear and how we look."

E.A  Yes I recall that from the days " DO NOT Judge us by what we WEAR but from whom we ARE!! " ring any Bells?

Why do people judge others on appearance

Why do people judge others based on appearance? Weren't we all told that we shouldn't judge a book by its cover when we were young?

And if that's the case then why do so many people judge others by how they look and by their external appearance?

The answer is simple, just a people were told few times not to judge a book by its cover they were told numerous times indirectly to judge others based on their outer appearance.

Read this article to know why do people judge others on appearance.

The reason people judge others by appearance   )

E.A Ohh How " times are achanging "!!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! "  Too Much Whiskey,  I let the readers discern the other Two :-)

GregTx
PhD Guide
11.1.14  GregTx  replied to  epistte @11.1.8    6 years ago

"That graphic with the noose makes a very obvious  and bold statement.  You do not buy it or choose to wear it to the polls by mistake."

I agree, which is why I asked if anyone had read anything about this mans beliefs that extend beyond a photo and opinion?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  GregTx @11    6 years ago

He gets no benefit of the doubt, sorry. You wear a shirt sporting the Traitor's Flag, with a noose, stating "Mississippi Justice" and you want me to to entertain the idea that you meant something other than what you clearly meant? [deleted]

GregTx
PhD Guide
11.2.1  GregTx  replied to  Thrawn 31 @11.2    6 years ago

[deleted]

Sophomore Guide
14  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

From the article: "Behaviors contrary to these principles are unacceptable and will not be tolerated.” 

Anyone being fired for testing positive for marijuana probably knows how this guy feels. What you do on your own time probably should not be a reason for losing your job. But many times it is. 

He who holds the Gold makes the rules !

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
15  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

So the take-home message seems to be - businesses can refuse to bake cakes for gay people, but have to let bigots work for them.

Ok.

epistte
Junior Guide
15.1  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15    6 years ago
So the take-home message seems to be - businesses can refuse to bake cakes for gay people, but have to let bigots work for them. Ok.

They can fire someone for being LGBT.

Apparently, you can also be fired from a secular job for being an atheist,

But clearly the atmosphere had changed. My bosses didn't chat or make jokes with me anymore and avoided eye contact. Two days later, a new waitress shows up. I'm asked to train her. I was given no heads up from my bosses that a new person was coming on board. Three days after that I was pulled into the office, given one week's salary and was told i was no longer needed. When I asked why, they said that the customers weren't happy with my performance as a waitress. Clearly my admission was the reason. That left a lasting impact on me. For many years I hid the fact I was atheist, not knowing exactly how people would react. It took me till my early 40's until I was more comfortable admitting my views. It was a shame I let people effect me that way all those years.