╌>

George Conway says wife Kellyanne Conway doesn't like his White House criticism

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  pj  •  6 years ago  •  31 comments

George Conway says wife Kellyanne Conway doesn't like his White House criticism

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Washington (CNN)Conservative lawyer George Conway, the husband of presidential counselor Kellyanne Conway, said Friday that his dislike of President Donald Trump's administration balances out his wife's dislike of his vocal opposition to the White House.

"I don't think she likes it," he told host Michael Isikoff on the Yahoo News podcast "Skullduggery." "But I've told her, I don't like the administration, so it's even."

But Conway said that many beltway couples disagree on politics, and that he and Kellyanne agree on nearly all other policy issues.

"If I had a nickel for everybody in Washington who disagreed with their spouse about something that happens in this town, I wouldn't be on this podcast, I'd be probably on a beach somewhere," he added. "And the fact of the matter is, when it comes down to things we disagree about ... we agree on most policy things, virtually all, ever."

"This is the one thing we really disagree about," Conway said.

Conway has emerged as an outspoken and notable critic of the President in large part due to his marriage to one of Trump's closest aides. He first began using his Twitter account to weigh in on the President's decisions and retweet articles that are less than flattering for the White House. More recently, he's taken to penning op-eds criticizing Trump's policies and decisions. Conway recently called Trump's appointment of acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker and the President's proposal to end birthright citizenship as "unconstitutional."

Trump has dismissed Conway's criticism as attempts to get "publicity for himself."
Conway's views on the administration were tested when he was under consideration to lead the Department of Justice's civil division last year. But he ultimately withdrew, deciding that he did not want to deal with the White House "s***show in a dumpster fire," he said in the podcast.

"The administration is like a s***show in a dumpster fire, and I'm like, I don't want to do that," he said, later adding, "If I get this door prize, I'm going to be in the middle of a department (Trump) is at war with."

But Conway stressed that he was proud of his wife, who ran Trump's campaign in its final months, and said she was the key reason he was elected.

"My wife did an amazing thing -- I mean, she basically got this guy elected," he said. "And other people like to take credit for it, but she got this guy elected. She steadied that boat. She did it. She went on television, she imposed message discipline on that campaign."

"He was in the crapper when she took that campaign over," Conway added.

Conway admitted that he didn't know if he would support Trump in the election if given a chance to do it again.

"My view was he was the lesser evil," he said. "I don't know. If faced with the choice again, I'd probably move to Australia."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

PJ
Masters Quiet
1  seeder  PJ    6 years ago

Let me say that this is a sign that Trump is either going to be impeached or he will not be re-elected.

Kellyanne and her husband have concocted this plan to cash in after Trump.  You see more and more of George coming out in opposition of this President.  She's probably feeding him some inside info that things are getting ready to hit the fan.

They're hoping to be the next Mary Matalin and James Carville.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  PJ @1    6 years ago

She's no Mary Matalin. She doesn't have the integrity Ms Matalin had in her pinky toe

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.1  seeder  PJ  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    6 years ago

True.  There used to be some lines that were not crossed.  

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.2  Nowhere Man  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    6 years ago
Mary Matalin

A very sweet lady, In my opinion, the sharpest tack on the card. When I worked with her, she was deputy campaign manager for political operations. She was against me being fired..... That was prior to her marriage to Carville.

During the administration you do know she didn't work directly for Bush, she worked for Cheney.

She left the Republican party in 2003 I believe, joining the Libertarian party.

To be honest with ya, Her and Carville as man & wife is absolute proof that true love sees no defect...... (and their political arguments were epic)

Kellyanne and her husband? Don't even belong in a discussion about strength of character compared to Mary & James..

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.3  seeder  PJ  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.2    6 years ago

I forgot that it really wasn't that long ago that you were in the WH.  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1.4  pat wilson  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.2    6 years ago

What was the work you did with Mary Matalin ?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.5  Nowhere Man  replied to  pat wilson @1.1.4    6 years ago

I was doing the same work for Bush that I did for Reagan. Campaign analysis, but Dick Wirthlin (my mentor) didn't sign on to the Bush campaign so I worked under Marc Racicot, Bush's campaign chairman, She worked for Terry Nelson as his deputy during the campaign. Also, she unofficially maintained her position as a personal political advisor to Bush.... Our work intersected but we didn't work together...

She was active in both Bush administrations.... Working for Cheney in the second....

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.6  Nowhere Man  replied to  PJ @1.1.3    6 years ago
I forgot that it really wasn't that long ago that you were in the WH.  

You want to know what her position/opinion on T-rump and his presidency is?

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.7  seeder  PJ  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.6    6 years ago

I'm pretty sure she's smart enough to know he's a con man and bad for the country.  jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.8  Nowhere Man  replied to  PJ @1.1.7    6 years ago

Last March she told reporter Nicholas Ballasy of PJ media that President Donald Trump is "a great overall president, like, he did what he said he was going to do and he is doing things he never imagined he would have to, so that's really hard to do with a staff that was not quite seasoned – it's just sheer force of will and force of personality. I think he's doing great. He's doing really great. I can die happy now. I was really worried about it."

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.9  seeder  PJ  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.8    6 years ago

I saw her about a year ago on a talk show.  She couldn't remember simple facts.  The person initially thought Matalin was kidding but it soon became apparent that she wasn't......

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.10  Nowhere Man  replied to  PJ @1.1.9    6 years ago

Well her political beliefs are almost identical to mine, the closest any politician comes to our beliefs is Ronald Reagan closely followed by Ron Paul.... (and of course that earns us all kinds of ridicule from the media or the leftist mob)

And she is only a political commentator now, but she is still sharp as a tack.... we get old but that doesn't mean we lose our minds.... Heck two years ago I quit politics for good.... (2016 was a tough year for me)

They can't pay me enough anymore....

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.11  seeder  PJ  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.10    6 years ago

Well, Reagan economics really screwed the country up for a long time.  Another one of those short term wins with long time consequences.

Rand Paul has turned into an advocate for Russia and lifting sanctions - weird.  Before this anti American/pro Russian shift, I actually agreed with some of Paul's positions.  But I simply cannot support someone who chooses Russia over America.

With regards to corruption, it will be interesting to see what is revealed now that there will be real oversight of the Executive Branch.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.12  Nowhere Man  replied to  PJ @1.1.11    6 years ago

REAL oversight?

Never mind.........

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.13  seeder  PJ  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.12    6 years ago

What are you doing up?  Aren't you on the west coast?  I thought I had at least a couple hours before you chastised me.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.14  Nowhere Man  replied to  PJ @1.1.13    6 years ago

Well talking economics and claiming what the economy is going to do is much like soothsaying, you don't really know the effect till a few years afterwards.... Every president has his economic policies shaped for him and during and after his administration his name is branded to those policies. So, Reaganomics isn't a derogatory title to his policies. But the other name is, Trickle down..... the name gave a bad taste to some very good economic policies. Not perfect mind you there were issues. but overall I prefer to look at economic policies about ten years aftwards to see what real effect they had....

Reaganomics.....

Spending during the years Reagan budgeted (FY 1982–89) averaged 21.6% GDP, roughly tied with President Obama for the highest among any recent President. Each faced a severe recession early in their administration. In addition, the public debt rose from 26% GDP in 1980 to 41% GDP by 1988. In dollar terms, the public debt rose from $712 billion in 1980 to $2.052 trillion in 1988, a roughly three-fold increase. The unemployment rate rose from 7% in 1980 to 11% in 1982, then declined to 5% in 1988. The inflation rate declined from 10% in 1980 to 4% in 1988.

Some economists have stated that Reagan's policies were an important part of bringing about the third longest peacetime economic expansion in U.S. history. During the Reagan administration, real GDP growth averaged 3.5%, compared to 2.9% during the preceding eight years. The annual average unemployment rate declined by 1.7 percentage points, from 7.2% in 1980 to 5.5% in 1988, after it had increased by 1.6 percentage points over the preceding eight years. Nonfarm employment increased by 16.1 million during Reagan's presidency, compared to 15.4 million during the preceding eight years, while manufacturing employment declined by 582,000 after rising 363,000 during the preceding eight years. Reagan's administration is the only one not to have raised the minimum wage. The inflation rate, 13.5% in 1980, fell to 4.1% in 1988, due to the Federal Reserve increasing interest rates (prime rate peaking at 20.5% in August 1981). The latter contributed to a recession from July 1981 to November 1982 during which unemployment rose to 9.7% and GDP fell by 1.9%. Additionally, income growth slowed for middle- and lower-class (2.4% to 1.8%) and rose for the upper-class (2.2% to 4.83%).

The misery index, defined as the inflation rate added to the unemployment rate, shrank from 19.33 when he began his administration to 9.72 when he left, the greatest improvement record for a President since Harry S. Truman left office. In terms of American households, the percentage of total households making less than $10,000 a year (in real 2007 dollars) shrank from 8.8% in 1980 to 8.3% in 1988 while the percentage of households making over $75,000 went from 20.2% to 25.7% during that period, both signs of progress.

Some economists have stated that Reagan's policies were an important part of bringing about the third longest peacetime economic expansion in U.S. history.

I think that is worth re-stating it's been 30 years since Reagan left office. and his economic policies are now relegated to the trash bin of history. But politically people still denigrate them when like said above they resulted in the third longest peacetime economic expansion in history. The pick apart details fixate on one thing to the exclusion of all other without a care in the world on how they interrelate. And it's the interrelation that is most important.

Reaganomics was great for the people, great for business, great for the economy. But lousy for government..... and that is the baseline that people use to discredit those policies, purely political.

I know you can now que the mindless intelligent people who will jump all over me cause of what I quoted and wrote above, but mind you, like I said, they won't be working the interrelations of those policies, they will be picking their favorite theory out of the ether and claiming it is right...

I'm a big believer in the truths of history, and after 30 years, Reaganomics is known as one of the greatest economic periods in American history.

And that is something no small people with their political hate can take away from him...

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.15  XXJefferson51  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.14    6 years ago

Ronald Reagan is why I left the democrat party and became a Republican. He was the first President I was eligible to vote for and I worked tirelessly on his campaign locally and as a college Republican.  He was a great American and one of our greatest Presidents.  

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.16  seeder  PJ  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.14    6 years ago

Well we tend to disagree more than we agree.  This topic is no different.

The republicans still like to drag out President Reagan and dust him off like he was some God.  

News Flash

President Reagan was an actor given a script from republican leadership and private donors to sell their agenda.  He did that well.

What I will say about President Reagan is that I believe he was a man of good character and he loved his country.  He would never have signed on to this President, this republican leadership and this Administration.

Now let's talk about something we can agree on.  Have you been doing any hiking lately?  I'm actually getting ready to head out in about 40 minutes to meet up with my friend and do a hike at Sugarloaf Mountain.  It's cold this morning but it will get my blood pumping.  

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.17  Nowhere Man  replied to  PJ @1.1.16    6 years ago

Oh Reagan had faults, he was entirely human no god like worship here..... Same with Kennedy....

But I consider both of them great men and great presidents. neither one would sign on to any presidency after Clinton's and they would have severely criticized his...

No, I haven't gone hiking since my fall and some other medical issues for both me and the wife..... For the wife it's hard for her to even walk around the block now.....

Doctors in fact are telling me it's time to hang up the treads.... But my brain is telling me otherwise...

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.18  seeder  PJ  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.17    6 years ago

Sorry to hear that NWM.  Listen to your docs, they know what they're doing.  And I kinda like fighting with you.  jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2  MrFrost    6 years ago

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

I would love to listen in on their dinner conversations lol. 

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
3.1  Studiusbagus  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3    6 years ago

Him: What's for dinner?

Her: Roast beef

Him: This is Spam!

Her: No, it's not. It's alternative Roast beef.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

"My wife did an amazing thing -- I mean, she basically got this guy elected," he said. "And other people like to take credit for it, but she got this guy elected. She steadied that boat. She did it. She went on television, she imposed message discipline on that campaign."

"He was in the crapper when she took that campaign over," Conway added.

Conway admitted that he didn't know if he would support Trump in the election if given a chance to do it again.

"My view was he was the lesser evil," he said. "I don't know. If faced with the choice again, I'd probably move to Australia."

I agree with this man on both Yep conway probably saved trump from screwing himself over and blowing the election and moving out of country is looking more and more appealing. 

I wouldn't be proud she did it though. I'd be pissed ! 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4    6 years ago

Well voting for maybe corruption or proven corruption. Some choice..... I voted for neither....(my conscience means more to me than my politics)

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1    6 years ago

I also didn’t vote for either.  That said, Trump has exceeded my most positive expectations to this point with the military, the tax cuts, and the court appointments.  

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.2  seeder  PJ  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.1    6 years ago

You should have stopped at "I also didn't vote for either".  

Sophomore Guide
4.1.3  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1    6 years ago
Well voting for maybe corruption or proven corruption. Some choice...

I actually based my vote on which one I though was a little more SANE this time. That was actually a first for me. Usually I'm like most, I vote for the lesser "Evil" ! 

This time my perception of the two remaining candidates sanity was my driving deciding factor. 

I see trump as a megalomaniac and clinton was just a narcissist. If ya look both up, a megalomaniac is more dangerous to others than a narcissist.  Thus my vote. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.4  Nowhere Man  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.3    6 years ago

Megalomania is probably a good way to describe his antics.... But, he is no megalomaniac.....

T-rump operates by keeping everyone (read the opposition) off balance. Any time they appear like they are getting organized with a theme that is going to be effective, he throws more red meat out there. Gets them to ravenously fight over it like rabid dogs. The more he can keep them appearing and looking like savage emotionally driven dogs the more success he has.

They cannot form any coherent counter to him cause they are too busy attacking and ridiculing him personally.

The best way to describe it is feeding the beast, and the beast gets so outlandish with their claims they are the ones looking like the fools and the extent they will go to attacking him makes them look like the heartless political hit machine they actually are......

He's very effectively using their emotional political  beliefs against them and very successfully.

They are so rabid now they cannot see the forest for the trees with the level of politicizing everything in hate rhetoric.

And the public is noticing......

The mountain of trash as I call it, (usurped from someone else on the board) is actually a mountain of hate, and T-rump is exposing it almost daily.

It's actually humorous to watch..... one four word tweet and heads explode.....

Never seen anything like it before, turning their hate against them.... He's a master at it.

Sophomore Guide
4.1.5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.4    6 years ago
He's a master at it.

IMO: trump is a master manipulator for sure. His ability to use anything and anyone around him to further his own agendas is both amazing and scary as hell to me. I learned long ago not to underestimate this man. 

I also do believe that he does have good intentions for America. I believe that is one of his saving graces. However, even that I believe is fed by his want almost need to be the best. If he could rank himself as the Best American president in history he would love it and that is more what I think drives him than anything. WE are just along for the ride. IF HE decides HE wants want we dont, I dont know that WE could stop him. 

That to me is scary.

PS: I dont use words lightly and I looked up the medical definition of megalomaniac long ago as well. 

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    6 years ago

Poor Poor George...