╌>

The Home Front During WW2

Category:  History & Sociology

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  6 years ago  •  14 comments

Victory_job_%28AWM_ARTV00332%29.jpg

If you were living during WW2, in which case you would have to be at least 73 years old, what do you remember from those days?  I was born in January of 1937, so I was a little kid then. What I do remember from then is that my mother grew vegetables in a Victory Garden behind our garage:

Victory-Garden-1940s-Canada-Ad-Vintage.j

I can remember air-raid sirens being tested now and then, even though no enemy planes ever flew over Ontario:

th?id=OIP.c2sU5EDEuQUh5pWFi3ag7AHaFj&pid

And I remember that we had Ration tickets:

22026056_3.jpg?v=8D24CC1996A2250

And at my public school we kids used to run around the schoolyard with our arms stretched out, making buzzing sounds like a propeller plane, imitating Spitfires. This is a stock photo of a 5 year old kid doing exactly what I did when I was 5 years old:

five-year-old-imitating-flying-smiling-2

That's how I got my nickname. My mother saw me doing that and called me "Buzzy".  It caught on immediately among all my family and friends who called me that rather than my real name. I really didn't like the name and all through public school I preferred that everyone call me by my real name. However, when I got to high school, and there was a "Buzzy" comic book popular at the time, all of a sudden it became a really cool name, and I even had it embroidered on my vintage corduroy jacket.  

buz1.117a.jpg

But as I matured, the name shortened to "Buzz", and when I moved to China, thinking of 'Lawrence of Arabia',  it became "Buzz of the Orient" 

If any of you are old farts like me, and have memories of your HOME FRONT during WW2, post them here.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Let's hear it from those of you who were too young to enlist to fight during World War 2.  What are your memories of your respective Home Fronts?

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
1.2  Don Overton  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    6 years ago

I can remember the day my mom cried all day after getting a telegram 

I can also remember the day my uncle returned from Europe

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     6 years ago

Oh my goodness, I remember a couple of things. One we gathered all the trash (anything with metal) for collection. The one thing that will stand out in my mind is the day I was playing in the front of our house and I saw this man walking down the dirt road towards us. He had on a uniform and had a bag over his shoulder. It took me a second but I knew it was my dad coming home from the war. My dog Sugar knew it as well and we both went racing down the road to meet him. He grabbed me and threw me in the air and Sugar was racing around in circles barking. 

I don't remember of ever seeing him before but my mom said the last time we saw him I was 2 years old. I was 5 when he came home from the war. 

My hero walked on at 60 years old still a young man. When Sugar walked on I cried my eyes out and my hero was there for me. We all relived that one moment in time. 

Thanks for bring back that memory for me Buzz.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @2    6 years ago

Running to greet your dad is a great memory.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @2    6 years ago

My dad told me a story of his dad coming home from WWII.

He and his older sister were sitting on the porch steps when this man came walking up the sidewalk. Dad told his sister "That's my dad" even tho he was all of 6? years old and he was only about 2 or 3 when Grampap got drafted. My aunt told my dad, no it isn't, shut up and they stared arguing. Gramma came outside to tell them to quit it and sure enough, it was Grampap.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2    6 years ago

Wonderful story Trout.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @2.2.1    6 years ago

Thanks.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

I have important things to do all day tomorrow and will not be able to turn on my computer until about 21 hours from now. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Looks like most of the NT members are a lot younger than me, or else their memories are fading.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
5  lennylynx    6 years ago

[Deleted]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6  Freefaller    6 years ago

Buzz while I'm not old enough, my Dads (who grew in and around Toronto) most vivid memory was that seeing an adult male was a rarity. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Freefaller @6    6 years ago

I guess I was too young to have noticed that.  My brother was also too young, and I guess my father was too old.  However my uncle enlisted, and at the end of the war brought me back souvenirs - a German officer's bayonet and some Dutch coins. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    6 years ago
brought me back souvenirs

Cool like my dad my uncles were to young and my paternal grandfather was too broken to go.  My maternal grandfather went but got medically evacuated due to injuries before the end so wasn't able to bring anything back