original

© A. Mac/A.G.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

I love to play in the snow with my camera.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
1.1  Steve Ott  replied to  A. Macarthur @1    6 years ago
I love to play in the snow with my camera.

And I love it when you share that love. I really like the top image.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

BRrrr

LOL, Pretty pictures ! 

I haven't been where there is snow in 40 years. lol  By choice. Although pretty and I like snow, it always seems to come with cold weather which I dont like at all. So seeing pictures of places with snow is nice, especially seeing them sitting here in Phoenix Az where we're at almost 80 degrees today is just fine by me. lol 

So thanks for sharing them. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
2.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2    6 years ago

Enjoy the warm … and the pictures.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Beautiful photos Mac.

Finally, a subject I can contribute to. Albeit they were taken from the old Canon pocket camera I gave my daughter. Many taken one handed while driving.

Back in about an hour.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  dave-2693993 @3    6 years ago

Looking forward to your pictures … watch that one-handed driving.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1    6 years ago

These photos simply do not have the artistic quality of the images you, Buzz and others usually post.

But is is certainly a winter wonder land.

I will start with a few and if they are acceptable there are more. More quantity than quality here.

P.S. No one handed driving in these.

Hmmmm. Looks like we are in for a little snow this evening.

Don't suppose the mail truck came by today by any chance?

No, no mail. What about dinner out on the deck tonight?

Not such a good idea. Hey, speaking of hot, let's warm up by the fire.

If these are okay, I have some 1 handed driving scenic ones as well.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.2  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  dave-2693993 @3.1.1    6 years ago

Everyone will love the "happy ending" to your SNOW-TO ESSAY, dave.

Your photos are always welcome.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.1.3  dave-2693993  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.2    6 years ago

Thank you Mac.

I'll put up a few more.

Sophomore Guide
3.1.4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @3.1.1    6 years ago

Thank you for the warm up, I was starting to feel the chill. 

O Yeah  I remember that crap now... Pretty but what an inconvenience. 

Yeh and especially for transportation. Doing donuts was fun though !!  

Thanks for sharing it's nice to see what I only slightly miss. (for like 5 minutes) lol 

PS: 75 here today and sunny

Thanks again for sharing your pictures and the warn up at the end. 

Sophomore Guide
3.1.5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.2    6 years ago
Everyone will love the "happy ending" to your SNOW-TO ESSAY, dave.

I was starting to get chilled .. And warmed right back up, That was nice !!! Best way to see winter as far as I'm concerned. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.1.6  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @3.1.4    6 years ago
PS: 75 here today and sunny

LOL. Bit colder here.

and You're welcome.

Sophomore Guide
3.1.7  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @3.1.6    6 years ago
LOL. Bit colder here.

Really, I wouldn't have guessed. Maybe that's why we didn't get snow. 

My nephew still lives in central Ill. He said it's been pretty damn cold already there. They dont get the snow like we used to though, the weather system doesn't come down across the great lakes as much as it did back then or some shit. Anyway its just about as cold as when I lived there so... NO thanks ! 

I went back ONE christmas after Id been gone for about 10 years. ONCE. 

I've lived in warm climates now for over 40 years, I'm climatized !!! LOL 

Enjoy your snow, I used to love doing donuts other than that to me it kinda usually just sucked once I didn't get snow days off school....LOL . Really pretty but... not really worth it.

I'd rather be fishing and looking at a beautiful sunny lake and be warm. 

But it's always nice to take a trip down memory lane so Thanks again. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4  dave-2693993    6 years ago

One handed driving alert.

Be a lert, we need all the lerts we can get. (Thank you Benny Hill)

P.S. Do not attempt this at home.

It was good to get out and check the shop today. On the way home let's see how my favorite picnic grounds handled the snow.

Well, the road to the boat landing and picnic grounds is impassable, let's take a look at the other end of the lake.

Looks like BBQ will be in the backyard for a while then.

Time to head back home. Here is an old historic home designed by Thomas Giddings and was completed in 1800. Thomas was George Washington's architect by the way and the place is known as Giddings Ha Ha.

The horse country looks nice today.

I like this fella's ~'50 Chevy P/U and garage set up. We had a '49 6 window cap when I was young.

Since I was young we used to drive through here on our way to some of our favorite fishing holes. That white house up on the right always stirred my curiosity. One day I researched it a little and discovered it was once a local Inn, restaurant and watering hole. Folks used to tie their horses up to the place in front and have a few drinks, or dinner and maybe spend the night. I have a better photo of it, unfortunately I can not find it.

Back to horse country.

They grow corn and other crops around here too. Can't you tell?

...and more horse country...

Let's get home.

...and I can't find my way home...

Those photos must be here somewhere...?

There is plenty of winter time ahead of us.

Hope it's not too long Mac.

Things got shuffled around. I hope it makes sense.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  dave-2693993 @4    6 years ago

A nice photo essay about winter in a slice of rural America! Happy to have such an interesting addition to the discussion!

Many thanks ... any time.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  A. Macarthur @4.1    6 years ago

Thank you Mac.

I hope the reading made sense with how everything rendered.

Sophomore Guide
4.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @4.1.1    6 years ago
I hope the reading made sense with how everything rendered.

It does and I agree about the wording. That is the one glitch I've seen on this site. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.1.3  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.2    6 years ago

It often works fine. I must have been over confident this time.

Sophomore Guide
4.1.4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @4.1.3    6 years ago
It often works fine.

I always have problems with putting wording with my pictures. There is probably a "trick" that I haven't figured out. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.1.5  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.4    6 years ago

What usually works for me is to size the photos about 570 to 595 px wide and that prevents the words from falling off to the right.

That didn't work this time.

Sophomore Guide
4.1.6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @4.1.5    6 years ago
size the photos about 570 to 595 px wide and that prevents the words from falling off to the right.

Thank You, I'l try that. It's been annoying to have the words go nuts and not know how to avoid it. I usually just say what I want before the pictures but that isn't always the best way to present them. So thanks !

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4.1.7  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.4    6 years ago

First post the photo, then hit the space bar so that when you type the text, it will appear below the photo. If you post another picture, hit the space bar again, post the photo, space bar, text, repeat as needed.

Sophomore Guide
4.1.8  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  A. Macarthur @4.1.7    6 years ago
First post the photo, then hit the space bar so that when you type the text, it will appear below the photo.

Thanks, Mac, that's what I've done in the past, I think It may be the size I use. I'll try Dave's suggestion on resizing my pictures and see if that works for me.  

Sophomore Guide
4.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @4    6 years ago

Very "cool"

Thanks for posting these. It looks so similar to what I remember but where the hell do you live that they clear the country roads that well ? Man back when I lived in central Illinois we drove ON the snow and Thru the snow. The towns and cities got plowed, where we lived ... didn't ! 

It looked like your country roads but we had a hard time seeing the white snow packed roads and of course they were slick and you better have a good car or truck with some power and of course at least snow tires. 4 wheel drive trucks were big business there. 

Thanks for sharing these it brings back memories, these days the memories I do have and remember of winter are the good ones. LOL I hardly remember how frickin cold some of them actually were at the time.  lol 

PS: This series didn't need the warm up ending, you can tell you are riding in a warm vehicle !!  lol 

thanks

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2.1  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.2    6 years ago

Thank you. I am glad you appreciated the photos.

I am in a small pocket of "Gods Country" in wealthy country of central Maryland. About the same distance north of D.C. as I am west of Baltimore.

If I continue driving west or turn south it won't be long before there is congestion and "city slickers".

I have more and we have plenty of winter in front of us.

Already waiting for the sun to return.

Sophomore Guide
4.2.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @4.2.1    6 years ago
central Maryland

OK, Yeah I'll bet you folks do have some snow removal equipment there !

Big stuff !!! And lots of it. lol 

Keep warm and we'll keep the sun going for ya till next year. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2.3  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.2.2    6 years ago

You are right about that. There are big investments in that equipment around here. Our biggest snow falls happen when moisture from the Gulf hits a clipper from the north.

Just stay home and enjoy it.

Sophomore Guide
4.2.4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @4.2.1    6 years ago
wealthy country of central Maryland.

Coming from a poor rural community myself, if I may ask, what makes your county so wealthy ?

We were mainly cornfields and baseball fields and that doesnt make for a very thriving community or county and it hasn't changed there in over at least the last 60 years. 

Do you have manufacturing ? Or what ?  Just curious. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2.5  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.2.2    6 years ago
Keep warm and we'll keep the sun going for ya till next year. 

Sounds like a plan.

Sophomore Guide
4.2.6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @4.2.3    6 years ago
Just stay home and enjoy it.

Most of the employment and the business that I had and owned that wasn't an option. Especially in the health care industry. You go or others suffer. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2.7  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.2.4    6 years ago

There is a lot of IT, Government contractors, finance and a heavy Government presence. I am probably forgetting some things.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2.8  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.2.6    6 years ago
Most of the employment and the business that I had and owned that wasn't an option. Especially in the health care industry. You go or others suffer. 

That is true. Health care is big around here too.

Fortunately, these days for me remote work is okay.

Sophomore Guide
4.2.9  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @4.2.7    6 years ago

OK yeah, I figured there was something, Good for you folks ! We had nothing like that. 

WE had Caterpillar, but even they realized they didn't need to pay squat to keep plenty of people workin for them in Peoria. So they didn't and don't ! 

Other than that .. you were screwed even worse. So I left. I figured I was born with feet for a reason. 

LOL 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2.10  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.2.9    6 years ago

That is a good way to experience life.

Sophomore Guide
4.2.11  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @4.2.10    6 years ago
That is a good way to experience life.

LOL... I  was actually lucky , I didn't Walk away, I drove a U haul truck full of my junk towing a very nice 69 Camaro Z28. And yes It was a very positive life changing decision, one I've never regretted. 

But I do miss them country roads in Illinois and since then the Z is long gone now I miss it as well. I miss it maybe even more....lol 

I want another one but at this time I dont just happen to have a spare 50 to 75 grand just laying around. I'm just thankful that the GMC regular cab short bed I now own is as much like a sports car as it is. It rocks pretty good too cause it has the same motor of the bigger GMCs. And the 4 wheel disc brakes for stopping it.

It's still NO 69 Z 28 !!  LOL  

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2.12  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.2.11    6 years ago

That Z-28 would be nice to have.

Oh well. Pick ups are good too.

Sophomore Guide
4.2.13  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @4.2.12    6 years ago
That Z-28 would be nice to have. Oh well. Pick ups are good too .

Yeah I really do miss that car.My truck is nice,and I dont have to watch it from being stolen and I like sitting up over the crowd some... But that Z was a blast to drive. It had a lightly built 350 engine and a stock car clutch and 4 speed, that damn thing would smoke the tires in three gears and be GONE !

It was geared for the quarter mile though and had a top end of about 100 but it didn't waste anytime getting there. LOL I had a cop one time stop me after I'd smoked the tires in a couple of gears while behind him, He was on his way to work in his personal car. He stopped in the middle of the street in front of me, jumped out of his car and flashed his badge. I stopped, He was PISSED ! 

I told him he was making me late to work... He didn't seem ta care. He issued me a very stern warning about driving like that in HIS town !! LOL  

My truck isn't as quick...lol although I did run a newer camaro in it a while back though and beat it so...  

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2.14  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.2.13    6 years ago

Very nice. That is more than a Z/28. It is a Z/28 RS. More rare than the SS RS.

Did you have the original 302 engine in storage as well? Or was the 350 a result of stroking the original 302?

Sophomore Guide
4.2.15  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @4.2.14    6 years ago
the 350 a result of stroking the original 302?
Yeah it was a good old rare one ! 

The car had the 350 in it when I got it. I never even saw the original motor. I was fine with the 350 actually I was glad the motor had been changed and built. The trany and cluch were also heavy duty and the rear end had the gears lowered for short quick runs. That made this car a monster.

I didn't buy it as an investment I bought it for FUN ! And man was it fun to drive. It also got a lot of looks. It had a special paint job on it as well, it looked candy apple green in sunlight and black in the shadows. I put some more money, time and labor into it so it was in real good condition throughout and the drive train was solid as Hell. 

That thing was a little monster and I loved driving it. It'd smoke the tires at the drop of the clutch in three gears and be gone, over and over !!..lol I ended up selling it though cause I needed a truck and was tearing up the car trying to use it as one. Still kicking myself in the ass over that decision....lol .. trucks are a dime a dozen compared to a Z. 

Like I said, I want another one and may someday have it. I see the opportunity coming up in my future that I may have the funds that I could cut loose of to get another one if I really choose to. I'll see. 50 to 75 grand isn't something I just sneeze at. 

(and I'm well past the middle age crisis thingy ) LOL  This time IT would be an investment. The one I had years ago would be worth SO much more today !! I think they will be in the future as well. 1969 camaro Z28s aren't easy to come by and lots of people still want them. ....lol   Me included !

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, it was fun. lol 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
5  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Dave,

The bottom photo has great potential; with your permission, may I show you what I mean?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5.1  dave-2693993  replied to  A. Macarthur @5    6 years ago

Yes, please.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
5.1.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  dave-2693993 @5.1    6 years ago

Will do so tomorrow and send you the result in Private Notes.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5.1.2  dave-2693993  replied to  A. Macarthur @5.1.1    6 years ago

Great.

I am anxious to see it.

Have a good night.

Sophomore Guide
5.1.3  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @5.1.2    6 years ago
I am anxious to see it.

I was too. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5.1.4  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @5.1.3    6 years ago

I'll post it.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5.1.5  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @5.1.3    6 years ago

That is a favorite section of road for me.

Many years ago when I had my Mach 1, I set it up pretty much like an SCCA B Production race car.

From the turn at the bottom of that hill I am just starting down in the pic, I could go from 40 to 120 by the time I reach the left hander at the top.

It was a different time back in those days.

Sophomore Guide
5.1.6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @5.1.4    6 years ago
I'll post it....

Thanks, I'll look for it. I 'Play"with pictures. But I'm pretty limited on what I can do with them. I dont have a specialty editing program. I just use microsoft's stuff to do the little I can do with them. But I enjoy playing with them some times as well. So I'll check it out. thanks. 

Sophomore Guide
5.1.7  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @5.1.5    6 years ago
It was a different time back in those days.

Man I hear ya there !!! 

I loved my sports cars !! Country roads and FUN !!! 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5.1.8  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @5.1.6    6 years ago

I am not really good either, but I play around a little with Irfanview. Have you tried it? It's freeware.

There is one freebie that supposedly has the capabilities as photoshop, but can't remember the name. I'll think of it.

I have been told it is not as intuitive to use as photoshop.

Sophomore Guide
5.1.9  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @5.1.8    6 years ago
but I play around a little with Irfanview

No, I hadn't heard of it, Thanks I may try it. I'm not big on downloading free software. I'm really careful with where I go and what I do on this thing. I've seen too many people ruin their computer not being careful with the net on their computers.  

I saved the name though and O'll probably check it out, so Thanks. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.1.10  charger 383  replied to  dave-2693993 @5.1.8    6 years ago
Irfanview.

have used Irfanview  for years, it is only one I can understand .

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
5.1.11  Nowhere Man  replied to  charger 383 @5.1.10    6 years ago

The name of the free photoshop clone is GIMP . Very high quality software. It is what I use for photo editing....

It can do almost anything Photoshop can do and photoshop can almost do anything Gimp can do.....

Been around a long time, is very stable, with a bunch of tutorials out there from beginner to expert.....

In fact ALL the major branches of the software tree have a very capable, stable, free alternatives every bit as good as their very expensive retail counterparts....

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5.1.12  dave-2693993  replied to  Nowhere Man @5.1.11    6 years ago

Yes, GIMP. That's the one I was thinking about.

Thank you.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5.1.13  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @5.1.9    6 years ago

I have used it for a good long while. Maybe 2 decades.

Sophomore Guide
5.1.14  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @5.1.13    6 years ago
I have used it for a good long while. Maybe 2 decades.

Thanks, good enough recommendation for me, I'll check it out for sure. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
5.1.15  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Nowhere Man @5.1.11    6 years ago

Thanks for sharing that info!

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
6  Steve Ott    6 years ago

I haven't really seen snow since we moved to El Paso, so I will share a photo from where we lived in northern New Mexico in 2005.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Steve Ott @6    6 years ago

That's a nice picture.

Thank you.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
7  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

There are some technical “secrets” to photographing snow; be happy to explain the what’s, why’s and hows if anyone is interested.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.1  dave-2693993  replied to  A. Macarthur @7    6 years ago

Would be glad to know how to handle the white out.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
8  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Good night for now and thanks to all who added pix and comments.

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  Kavika     6 years ago

Our home in SW Missouri, also known as the Ozarks. 

Since then we have moved to Florida so it's the last snow I'll be living in.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
9.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @9    6 years ago

What a picture.

Looks like it came right out of an artists collection.

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @9.1    6 years ago

Thanks dave.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
9.2  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Kavika @9    6 years ago

Nice photo … please send me your new address.

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
10  Uptownchick    6 years ago

All the rolls and rolls of pictures that my husband took are packed away but we had a lot of fun on our snowmobile trip to  Tahquamenon Falls. So incredibly beautiful and so much fun!

6aa2fe66e0866c3c8fa5915fa87b69eb.jpg

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
10.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Uptownchick @10    6 years ago

Wonderful.

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
10.1.1  Uptownchick  replied to  dave-2693993 @10.1    6 years ago

It was Dave! One of these days, when my life settles down ( jrSmiley_74_smiley_image.gif  ) I need to go thru the dresser full of pictures I have and post some of his best work. Amateur but very good at what he did! 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
10.1.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Uptownchick @10.1.1    6 years ago

That sounds great Uppy. I will look forward to when you get the time.

Thank you.

Sophomore Guide
10.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Uptownchick @10    6 years ago
So incredibly beautiful and so much fun!

BRrrr !!!

LOL Very pretty, from inside ! 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
10.3  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Uptownchick @10    6 years ago

Very nice!