╌>

GM's Plan to Drop Chevy Cruze Hits Ohio Town Hard

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  galen-marvin-ross  •  6 years ago  •  180 comments

GM's Plan to Drop Chevy Cruze Hits Ohio Town Hard
Arno Hill, the mayor of Lordstown, which has 3,200 residents, expects it to lose $1 million in annual tax revenue from the plant and its workers. That is close to a quarter of the village’s total budget of between $4 million and $5 million.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Word that General Motors Co. will stop making the Chevrolet Cruze next spring and likely lay off 1,600 workers at its Lordstown plant traveled quickly from the factory floor across northeastern Ohio Monday, as workers, elected officials and other businesses assessed the decision’s impact.

Sylvester Townsend, chief executive of Jamestown Industries Inc., which makes front and rear bumper covers for the Cruze compact car in nearby Youngstown, didn’t know if he should believe the news at first.

“It blew me away,” said Mr. Townsend, who is now anticipating he may have to lay off all 32 of his production workers when the Lordstown plant stops production on March 1. “It’s going to be devastating.”
Arno Hill, the mayor of Lordstown, which has 3,200 residents, expects it to lose $1 million in annual tax revenue from the plant and its workers. That is close to a quarter of the village’s total budget of between $4 million and $5 million.
“They didn’t say they were permanently shuttering the plant,” said Mr. Hill, referring to the hope that the company could build another vehicle in Lordstown in the future. “So we figure that we still have a heartbeat.”
Get news and analysis on politics, policy, national security and more, delivered right to your inbox
The Lordstown shutdown is a part of a broader effort by GM to shed slow-selling, low-margin U.S. car lines. GM plans to end production at large assembly plants in Michigan and Canada as well as at a few smaller facilities, which could result in up to 6,700 factory workers being let go. The company plans to cut another 8,100 salaried workers in North America, many in its product-development ranks.
The expected $4.5 billion in annual cost savings by the end of 2020 will allow GM to steer more money into electric and autonomous vehicles. As sales of small cars have shrunk, the company is also betting on trucks, crossovers and SUVs. It will also stop producing the Chevrolet Volt hybrid, the Cadillac CT6 and the Buick LaCrosse.
“We recognize the need to stay in front of changing market conditions and customer preferences to position our company for long-term success,” said GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra.

GM’s announcement drew bipartisan criticism from Ohio politicians as well as President Trump, who said he spoke with Ms. Barra Sunday night about the need for a better-selling car at the Ohio plant. “Put a car that is selling well in there, but get it open fast,” Mr. Trump said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal on Monday.
GM’s workers in Lordstown fear they are being left behind. GM cut the Lordstown plant from three shifts to two last year, and in June down to one. Many workers, including some whose parents spent their careers at the plant, worried in recent months that the ax would fall again.
Christina Defelice, a 42-year-old production worker who was laid off in June, texted her husband Robert, 47, who was working inside the plant when the news broke Monday. After being told the plant would close next March, he and other workers returned to work, some in tears.
Ms. Defelice, who had earned $30 an hour at GM, said her husband called her back on his lunch break, still shocked by the news. If they don’t find work, they will have to consider moving away, as Ms. Defelice’s two sisters had done, she said.
“I’m crushed, and I’m foreseeing a bunch of hardship in the next couple of weeks with the rest of my co-workers,” said Ms. Defelice, whose father worked at the Lordstown plant for 46 years.
The closure of the plant would mark another painful step in the deindustrialization of the Mahoning Valley, a once staunchly Democratic Rust Belt region between Pittsburgh and Cleveland. The area lost thousands of manufacturing jobs in a wave of steel bankruptcies in the 1980s.
The auto sector has had a storied history in the area. Packard automobiles were produced at the turn of the 20th century at a factory in Warren. The Lordstown plant opened in 1966. By the early 1980s, the Lordstown plant employed 20,000 workers.
“GM used to be huge across the state,” said James Dignan, president and CEO of the Youngstown/Warren Regional Chamber. “It’s been a big scale-down over the last 30 years.”
Mr. Dignan and others said they would continue to pursue a campaign called Drive It Home, a collaboration between the UAW and local business leaders aimed at persuading GM to invest in Lordstown. The campaign was launched last week, amid deepening worries about the plant’s future.
“No one is asking for any handouts,” said Ms. Defelice, who has worked for GM for a total of 12 years. “Just bring us work. We’ll work.”
Write to Kris Maher at kris.maher@wsj.com

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

Trump said last night in a speech that he found the "magic wand" to keep plants open. I guess his wand is broken.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     6 years ago

A corporation is going to do what it thinks is best for it. Employees or the surrounding area mean little in these decisions.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Kavika @2    6 years ago
A corporation is going to do what it thinks is best for it. Employees or the surrounding area mean little in these decisions.

Exactly. It doesn't say it in this article but, the word is GM is moving some of its operation overseas because of the steel tariffs.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @2.1    6 years ago

GM has 4 plants in China and a couple in South Korea...The Chinese market is slipping as the down turn in auto sales has hit China as well. That and the Japanese and Korean auto makers are taking away some of GM's market share in China as well.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    6 years ago

I think i read they are closing three or four plants outside of North America as well.

This is largely a market driven decision which has nothing to do with what any POTUS (present or past) did or didn't do.   The article clearly states the reasons GM is making this move.   A lack the demand for Sedans being a big reason.   The other being a loss of market share almost uniformly across their product line.   All mean a loss of revenue.

This isn't GM's first or biggest rodeo in this regard in recent history.   In the late 2000's they laid off like 50k employees for some of the same reasons.   Basically to offset loss of revenue.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.3  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.2    6 years ago
This isn't GM's first or biggest rodeo in this regard in recent history.   In the late 2000's they laid off like 50k employees for some of the same reasons.   Basically to offset loss of revenue.

Wasn't that just before the Great Recession under Bush?

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.4  Studiusbagus  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.2    6 years ago
Basically to offset loss of revenue.

Yes. Like the $1,000,000,000 increase in operating costs due to the tariff taxes imposed? Ford confirmed that themselves.

So, ya think this ripple in the pond will stay a ripple? 

I don't think so. Around those plants US and Canada, are small manufacturers, suppliers, transportation co.'s, restaurants, home builders, house cleaners, street sweepers....

This is just the first domino and you seem to treat it like a one-off. 

Did you know business bankruptcy is higher now than at any time during Obama? Or that that government contractors under Trump's contracts are sub-contracting or offshoe employing 3 times more than ANY president?

Did that hurt when the ring went on?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.1.5  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    6 years ago

You are right Kavika. GM and Ford moving automobile production overseas has been in play for quite a while now.

We have talked about this before. For example Ford gave the axe to both the Taurus and Fusion while moving the bread and butter versions (including the new crossover versions) of the Focus to China. The ST and RS Focus models production moved/moving to Germany. The ST is already available in Europe with Australia probably next in line.

As of a few weeks after the announcement of the steel tariffs, all plans to bring any ofthe Focus models were canned.

Some similar things happened to some Buick production.

We all know about Harley by now as well. Iwould beta look at other industries will uncover similar effects.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.1.6  dave-2693993  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.2    6 years ago
The article clearly states the reasons GM is making this move.  

It is true, that entire market is falling, yet we know some makers are doing ok in it.

It is true pans to move production over seas have been in place, with planned with planned exports back to the US for certain models. Within a matter of weeks after the announcement of the tariffs those plans were dropped. 

That was an unplanned loss.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @2.1.3    6 years ago

Nope, just looked it up.  

It was 47k laid off in Feb of 2009.   Towards the tail end of our "official" great recession.   Now our "great recession" turned into a "global recession" after ours was over.   It's much more complicated than trying to blame one POTUS or another.

Trying to attribute things like this to one POTUS or another is a "partisan" fools errand.

Nothing more.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  Studiusbagus @2.1.4    6 years ago

Here, read up on it.

Maybe this will help illuminate the reality of the situation for you .... i won't hold my breath though since it doesn't forward the type of narrative you like to push.

That is .... not reality.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.2  epistte  replied to  Kavika @2    6 years ago

The current Cruze wasn't the car that GM needed to build. Other car makers can sell compacts but GM has never been able to do so. Honda, Toyota, VW, and Hyundai can build small cars that the market wants but GM and Chrysler have never learned that lesson.  The Ford Focus was a good car and my daughter drives a 2012 Focus sedan.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

First they dropped the Oldsmobile

And I said nothing because I didn't drive an Oldsmobile

Then they dropped the Saturn

And I said nothing because I didn't drive a Saturn

Then they dropped the Pontiac

And that pissed me off, because I drove Pontiacs.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    6 years ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @3.1    6 years ago

The Aztek would qualify as one of the ugliest cars in history - I would never have bought one.  Over the years I drove 3 new Pontiacs - here are images of them:

1959 Parisienne (Canadian Bonneville) convertible - a graduation gift from my father - identical to this:

117502_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

1964 Parisienne convertible  - mine was silver with a black roof and black upholstery 

33135_12c3a0a2fe8b_low_res.JPG

I then gave up driving convertibles because they were drafty, cold in winter, too much road noise, rear plastic window got scratched up and hard to see through, and easy to break into - my car radio was stolen once. 

1973  Grand Am (first model with a "rubber" nose) - mine was British racing green with a black interior.

Pontiac-Grand-Am.jpg

Loved them all. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.2  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.1    6 years ago

Sweet, my favorite car I ever owned was like this one but, it was white with a black leather interior and, floor shifter, it was automatic and, ran like a dream,

320 I bought it in 1980 just before I went in the Army, my Dad used it to drive to work a few times and, got rearended  before I was out of Basic, he didn't tell me about it until I returned home for Christmas leave, this is one car I miss.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.1.2    6 years ago

A GTO?  So iconic that a song was even composed about it.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.4  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.3    6 years ago

A friend in high school had one that was what the song was written about, it looked exactly like this one.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.5  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.1.4    6 years ago

I considered his GTO to be the real one, mine was a Cutlass with GTO trappings.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.1.6  Spikegary  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.1.5    6 years ago

Wait....Cutlss:  Oldsmobile.  GTO:  Pontiac.  I would say yours wasn't real....a Cutlass can easily be made to look like a 442.  Maybe that's what you were thinking about?

A LeMans would be the GTO Spoofer.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
3.1.7  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.1.4    6 years ago

I had a 69 GTO it was a pretty damn fast car. It would do donuts and figure 8's all day long on dry pavement, I ruined the engine and sold it for a song ..lol 

I was a kid. 

I went thru so many really nice sports cars if I had them all now, I'd be rich. That was 40 years ago and they sold for a song back then. Now they are worth a small fortune. 

camaros, chevelle, GTO, monte carlos, impalas as ya can see I stayed with chevy, partly because my racing parts got switched from one car to another as I changed rides. LOL .

Damn live and learn ! O the good old days....LOL 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.8  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Spikegary @3.1.6    6 years ago
Wait....Cutlss:  Oldsmobile.  GTO:  Pontiac.  I would say yours wasn't real....a Cutlass can easily be made to look like a 442.  Maybe that's what you were thinking about? A LeMans would be the GTO Spoofer.

I think you is right but, back then, in the '70's there were a lot of cars that came out by the big three that had a similar body style but, were different everywhere it counted.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4  lady in black    6 years ago

But, but, but the economy is doing great.....more job losses under trump...what else is new.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  lady in black @4    6 years ago
But, but, but the economy is doing great.....more job losses under trump...what else is new.

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg, this is 14,000 jobs lost in one move my an auto maker and, it isn't getting the mention it needs thanks to all the other news out there about Trump. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
4.1.1  charger 383  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.1    6 years ago

With 14,000 jobs lost why should more people be let into this country?  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
4.1.2  Cerenkov  replied to  charger 383 @4.1.1    6 years ago

Bingo.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.3  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  charger 383 @4.1.1    6 years ago
With 14,000 jobs lost why should more people be let into this country?

There is actually a negative immigrant influx in this country, in other words, immigrants are leaving faster than they're coming in. By the way, that's been going on since Obama was in office.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.3  Texan1211  replied to  lady in black @4    6 years ago

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

So, where are the great job loss numbers you claim going to show?

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
6  Studiusbagus    6 years ago
The company plans to cut another 8,100 salaried workers in North America, many in its product-development ranks

They're doing the same damn thing that Disney did.

These jobs aren't being "lost" they're being moved. They just aren't telling the droolers yet because..... 'merica.

Disney closed and fired the engineers in their "imagineering dept.". Now all the creative works film editing, cgi, and animation as well as designs for the park are done overseas.

Some of the droolers will dub this "economic reality" without doing the first bit of research.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Studiusbagus @6    6 years ago
Some of the droolers will dub this "economic reality" without doing the first bit of research.

Yep, they should take a lesson from Animal House,

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7  Tessylo    6 years ago

There are going to be 150 layoffs at a plant here in Maryland.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
7.1  lady in black  replied to  Tessylo @7    6 years ago

At least the 2 plants in my area are not going to be effected by this.  Town of Tonawanda Powertrain and the plant in Lockport, NY.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.1  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  lady in black @7.1    6 years ago

They'll probably tool over to making truck and, SUV parts, that seems to be the way they are heading.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
7.1.2  lady in black  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.1.1    6 years ago

The Tonawanda plant makes engines and the Lockport plant makes heating, ventilation and air-conditioning products for vehicles. Both area plants supply their products to a variety of GM vehicles and sites, so their fates are not tied to one particular GM assembly operation or vehicle.

But the local plants do supply parts for some of the vehicles that GM plans to stop making.

Bloomberg News reported that GM plans to stop production of vehicles including the Chevrolet Cruze, the Cadillac CT6, the Chevy Impala and Buick LaCrosse, which are assembled at the plants targeted for shutdown. GM's Lockport plant makes components for the Cruze and LaCrosse, and the Tonawanda site makes engines for the CT6 and Impala.

Arthur Wheaton, an automotive industry expert at the Cornell University School of Industrial and Labor Relations in Buffalo, said he believed the Tonawanda plant could see a bigger impact through the cuts in the salaried workforce, rather than the effect of assembly plants ceasing production.

The Tonawanda plant could see some effect on engine lines geared more toward cars than trucks or SUVs, which are selling in stronger numbers, he said. "People just aren't buying cars anymore."

The Tonawanda plant revealed this year it would build a new line of fuel-efficient engines for the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado. The Silverado is GM's best-selling pickup truck.

To cope with changing customer preferences, the Tonawanda plant could shift some workers to its engine lines supplying SUVs and trucks, Wheaton said.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.3  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  lady in black @7.1.2    6 years ago
The Tonawanda plant revealed this year it would build a new line of fuel-efficient engines for the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado. The Silverado is GM's best-selling pickup truck.

Yep, I love my Silverado, its got over 200k miles on it and, runs like a top, get good mileage in it as well.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.4  Studiusbagus  replied to  lady in black @7.1.2    6 years ago

You're correct Tonawanda has always built engines and for multiple lines.

The effect on them will probably be minimal.

Being originally from Syracuse we had GM and Carrier plants. I think the last GM plant closed about 10 years ago and Chrysler's transmission plant , New Process Gear, closed in 2012.

A lot of our wounds are self inficted from arrogance.

Kodak would be 10 times it's original size except for one very stupid and shortsighted decision. Kodak invented digital imaging and sold it off like they just took a sucker's bet....and those little Asian suckers won hugely.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
7.1.5  Spikegary  replied to  lady in black @7.1.2    6 years ago

The Lockport Plant does primarily 'stamping' of the skins for doors and hoods and stuff.  They started as Harrison Radiator, then merged with Delphi to become Delphi-Harrison, then after the last round of shakeups, GM took the plant back over.  We still call it Delphi.  I drive by it dependent on which way I go home after work.  Have plenty of friends that work there or used to work there.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
7.1.6  Spikegary  replied to  Spikegary @7.1.5    6 years ago

Surprisingly, no one made this much noise when Ford decided to end production on pretty much everything besides what,t he Focus, Mustang and F series pickup.  Anyone wonder why?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.1.7  dave-2693993  replied to  Spikegary @7.1.6    6 years ago

Gary, my understanding was at the time Ford announced the axing of the Taurus, Fusion and the next model Fusion, they also announced adding SUV and P/U production to the affected plants.

Additionally, Focus production, including the new cross overs would shift overseas. The bread and butter Focus and X-over models to China and the ST and RS models to Germany. The ST is available in Germany and Europe now. RS soon and also Australia and South Africa will get models similar to the UK models.

The tariffs put the end to plans shipping these cars back here.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
7.1.8  lady in black  replied to  Spikegary @7.1.5    6 years ago

I have/had relatives that worked both at the old Harrison Radiator and at Powertrain.  My next door neighbor works at Powertrain.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
7.1.9  Spikegary  replied to  dave-2693993 @7.1.7    6 years ago

I have friends that work at the ford plant in Oshua (near Mississauga), Ontario.  Haven't heard anyhting form him on any changes there-they build Focuses....or would the be Focii?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  Spikegary @7.1.9    6 years ago

Foci.  One "i".

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
7.1.11  1stwarrior  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.10    6 years ago

So, more that one house is "hice"; more than one moose is "mice"?????

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.12  sandy-2021492  replied to  1stwarrior @7.1.11    6 years ago

I think it's "meese" ;)

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.13  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Spikegary @7.1.9    6 years ago

Ok, this is about GM, not Ford, I haven't heard anything about them closing plants but, GM is closing plants and, has closed plants.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.14  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.12    6 years ago

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.15  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.12    6 years ago
I think it's "meese" Moose is the plural form of moose. Like sheep and sheep hold on a sec...yup. The plural for moose is moose, Webster's Dictionary says so. It is Moose I belive, the singular is the same as the plural The word "moose" came to us from Algonquian Indians. Consequently its plural, instead of being "mooses" or "meese", is the same as the singular.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.16  sandy-2021492  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.1.15    6 years ago

Thanks.  I was just kidding around.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.1.17  dave-2693993  replied to  Spikegary @7.1.9    6 years ago

According to this, only the Active will be brought back from China. No mention about the ST and RS from Germany. Cars are rolling off the assembly line there now.

There is also some ambiguity between the title and body of the story and it doesn't talk about Canada production, but does refer to what will be sold in North America.

I have come across for other stories since this was published. MAINLY NONE of them will be brought back since the tariff announcement...sorry, no time for much research at the moment.

US production of the Ford Focus compact car wrapped up at Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant back in May, as The Car Connection reports , freeing the plant to begin transitioning to Ford Ranger pickup truck production. The all-new, fourth-generation Ford Focus, which in North America will only be sold as a mini-crossover-style model called “Focus Active” , will be produced in China and imported for US consumption.

Citing data from Automotive News , The Car Connection reports that Ford had a 123 days’ supply of Focus compact cars in North America as of July 1 st , more than a month after production had ceased. Assuming current buying trends continue, that means that Ford ought to be able to continue selling the car at the current rate through the end of October. Ford Focus production was accelerated in its final months, with the automaker building more than 23k of the cars in April, compared to less-than-16k during the same month in 2017.

The new Ford Focus Active will arrive as a 2020 model-year vehicle, leaving a year-or-so gap between the end of the third-generation Focus and the start of the fourth-generation one in North America. The Active model follows a formula established with the all-new, 2018 Ford Fiesta , whereby Ford’s five-door small cars are given a slightly raised ride-height and rugged-looking cosmetic enhancements in an attempt to cash in on the global crossover craze.

Rumor has it that the Ford Fusion, which is also heading toward discontinuation in North America, could be reborn exclusively as a five-door “Active” model in that market, just like the Focus.

The Ford Focus is the first of the Ford brand’s four North American sedan models to exit production . The Taurus is expected to follow suit in March, 2019; the Fiesta in May, 2019; and the Fusion some time in 2021.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.18  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.16    6 years ago
Thanks.  I was just kidding around.

I know, I got curious and, had to find out.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.1.19  dave-2693993  replied to  dave-2693993 @7.1.17    6 years ago
I have come across for other stories since this was published. MAINLY NONE of them will be brought back since the tariff announcement...

Too quick on the trigger.

I have heard NONE are coming back from China.

No definitive news regarding the ST and RS from Germany.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.20  epistte  replied to  dave-2693993 @7.1.19    6 years ago
Too quick on the trigger.

I have heard NONE are coming back from China.

No definitive news regarding the ST and RS from Germany.

The Focus is dead in the US. US and Mexican production has ended and we will not be getting the 2019 models. The Fiesta situation is the same. 

I like the Focus ST.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
8  Studiusbagus    6 years ago

So, what's Trump's genius solution to this?

He threatens GM.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.1  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Studiusbagus @8    6 years ago
So, what's Trump's genius solution to this? He threatens GM.

Hell, it wasn't just GM he threatened, it was Ohio, he told them "You better get another company in that plant." LOL, the wanna be dictator is trying to throw his weight around.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
8.1.1  Spikegary  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @8.1    6 years ago

I believe he said you better get another car in that plant (the Cruze is no more, build something else there) to save jobs.  If you feel threatened by that, you should probably hire the big kid in your neighborhood to protect you from bullies.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @8.1    6 years ago
Hell, it wasn't just GM he threatened, it was Ohio, he told them "You better get another company in that plant."

A threat usually has an "or else" after it. I'm not seeing the promised action of an "or else."

I don't think anyone would argue that it wouldn't be better if there was a plant there employing people. That's what Trump wants. I think that's what the town wants. I would imagine that's what America wants. Where's the problem?

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
8.1.3  Studiusbagus  replied to  Tacos! @8.1.2    6 years ago
A threat usually has an "or else" after it. I'm not seeing the promised action of an "or else."

Really? You didn't hear him threaten to yank the subsidies? Which was funny because the subsidy limit was about to be met and GM was going to lose them anyway.

That's why he shut up about that because he had no teeth.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9  Sparty On    6 years ago

So here is a "big bad" corporation, stepping on the little man and what do we get from the left.   Little to no outrage towards the corporation.   Just the usual TDS shit storm.

Sadly its SOSDD for those folks.   Will the hypocrisy never end?

That said, a shout out to Kavika in post Two for being spot on for this one.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
9.1  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Sparty On @9    6 years ago
So here is a "big bad" corporation, stepping on the little man and what do we get from the left.   Little to no outrage towards the corporation.   Just the usual TDS shit storm.

In part you are right but, there is a component here that has triggered many "layoffs" and, that is the administration wish to put tariffs on just about any country that does business with us, that doesn't hurt the country tariffed, that hurts us, the consumer and, the worker here, now Trump is talking about closing the borders permanently?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @9.1    6 years ago
In part you are right but, there is a component here that has triggered many "layoffs" and, that is the administration wish to put tariffs on just about any country that does business with us,

Perhaps a very small component.   The bigger part being a loss of revenue across the board.   For example, Tariffs had zero to do with a lack of demand for Sedans.   That demand has been declining for years before any Trump Tariffs.  

From what i've been reading GM estimates they will save around six billion with this cutback by the end of 2020.   Much more than any Tariffs will cost them as it stands now.

This was a business decision plain and simple.   Nothing more.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
9.1.2  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Sparty On @9.1.1    6 years ago
This was a business decision plain and simple.   Nothing more.

Yes and, Trump has taken it as a personal slight.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
9.1.3  Spikegary  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @9.1.2    6 years ago

WTF?  Do you really believe that spew?  Perhaps President Trump is pissed off becuase GM plans to lay off a shitload of workers and he sees that as a bad thing for the workers and for America.  your spin is really getting worse by the day.

Sophomore Guide
9.1.4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Spikegary @9.1.3    6 years ago
Perhaps President Trump is pissed off becuase GM plans to lay off a shitload of workers and he sees that as a bad thing for the workers and for America.

Perhaps it also has something to do with this layoff directly affects some of his base. His loyal base. Wonder if he has a plan to help them ?    Election time is coming...

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
9.1.5  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Spikegary @9.1.3    6 years ago
Perhaps President Trump is pissed off becuase GM plans to lay off a shitload of workers and he sees that as a bad thing for the workers and for America. 

No, he's pissed because the day he gave that speech about how great a job maker he was GM decided to close five plants.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
9.2  Studiusbagus  replied to  Sparty On @9    6 years ago

We’re just shipping company after company after company is leaving the country and leaving jobs behind. And I’m going to get it stopped,” he promised in early 2016.

“Believe me. Nobody’s leaving,” he said later in the year.

Not only would he stop the losses, he claimed, but he pledged to act immediately. “We are going to stop it day one,” he said. “A Trump administration will stop the jobs from leaving America… Promise.”

Offshoring is up 300% among government contractors

Over 30% up with private companies all since he's been in office. 

All three houses run by Republicans, all the increases of offshoring started AFTER he was inaugurated. What you're going to be outraged about is you can't blame the Dems or Obama for this.

Trump lied to you and here you are defending him. Where's your outrage? 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Studiusbagus @9.2    6 years ago

LOL .... ThinkProgress? .... funding by sad sack Soros ..... very credible source there Studi .... now go argue with someone else.   I'm not interested in your reindeer games.   Not in the least.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
9.2.2  Studiusbagus  replied to  Sparty On @9.2.1    6 years ago
LOL .... ThinkProgress

Then it should be so easy for you to debunk..except you can't so you trot out Soros and any other deflection you can.

You won't play the reindeer game because you got nuthin'

Sophomore Guide
10  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

I was looking at new pickups the other day, no wonder they sales are down, the prices are way up. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
10.1  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @10    6 years ago
I was looking at new pickups the other day, no wonder they sales are down, the prices are way up.

That's been going on for a long time, the prices of cars has risen since they were first made.

Sophomore Guide
10.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @10.1    6 years ago
That's been going on for a long time, the prices of cars has risen since they were first made

True, But it seems now that they keep coming up with more and more standard options like new navigation systems, cameras and the self braking crap that is on most modern land space crafts that we want to drive. And the prices also reflect the changes whether you want them or not. 

Usually I was used to prices of vehicles doubling about every 20 years this time it was more like 10 years. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12  dave-2693993    6 years ago
Sylvester Townsend, chief executive of Jamestown Industries Inc., which makes front and rear bumper covers for the Cruze compact car in nearby Youngstown, didn’t know if he should believe the news at first.

“It blew me away,” said Mr. Townsend, who is now anticipating he may have to lay off all 32 of his production workers when the Lordstown plant stops production on March 1. “It’s going to be devastating.”
“They didn’t say they were permanently shuttering the plant,” said Mr. Hill, referring to the hope that the company could build another vehicle in Lordstown in the future. “So we figure that we still have a heartbeat.”

Just my recommendation, after having owned an autobody and spray shop for several years, they should continue production while gearing toward the collision repair aftermarket. I get the sense they have produces bumper covers for the Cruze for quite a while. Do they still have their tooling for prior models?

I can state there is nothing of better fit or quality that a factory bumper cover. They should have an in when it comes to the Cruze. Then expand the line.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
12.1  1stwarrior  replied to  dave-2693993 @12    6 years ago

Gonna need a lot of OEM parts - fer shure, fer shure.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  1stwarrior @12.1    6 years ago

Exactly. That need isn't going away anytime soon.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
12.2  Studiusbagus  replied to  dave-2693993 @12    6 years ago
They should have an in when it comes to the Cruze

I tend to disagree. This isn't like a stamp mold, it doesn't wear out. Remember all those aftermarket manufacturers that would buy GM's worn dies and stamp out and send something you have to adjust?

Any injector house can buy the mold and use it forever...back to overseas markets again.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12.2.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Studiusbagus @12.2    6 years ago
Any injector house can buy the mold and use it forever...back to overseas markets again.

That is the problem right there and maybe/maybe not for a reason you have in mind.

I have a little bit of first hand experience with these products. 750 car/yr X 5 years x (conservative guess 1/2 the cars got bumpers, many got 2. Again to be conservative let's stick with 1 bumper per 1/2 of the cars) = 1875 bumpers.

I owned the shop. I was responsible for each of those bumpers that went out the door. I didn't have some massive corporation behind me.

There are an infinite number of scenarios and a like number of reasons why any customer would choose any grade of bumper. Never mind, many insurance companies specify aftermarket.

So where do all these aftermarket bumper suppliers get their molds?

Lord knows. One shop even tried pwning off what appeared to be 31/32 scale products. I had to give them a friendly little call about a refund and never doing business with them again.

The others, unless true OEM always had some flaw. Always. Shape, details, fit, bumper primer, contour, molding flash, etc. Always, without exception. BTW, always be prepared to strip their primer, bulldog it and go from there. Unless OEM.

About those certified parts? Junk, garbage, often worse than than the cheapest grade parts out there. I was a nightmare to the delivery guys, because I inspected every part and would return or demand price reduction for flaws.

These folks in Ohio know the standards and rigors to follow in order to make OEM quality bumpers. Most likely they make their own molds. Did they hold on to that ability for past models? Or, at the very least, did they hold on to the design specs?

They are in a position to make OEM spec and quality parts without the additional GM markup on the parts. Good shops would use these kind of products.

You may know a lot of this, but here is an example for others who may not. This outfit is proud of their work and they do "ok". They are even proud that they manufacture their own molds. That is discussed in the first 40 seconds of the vid. They are proud of all the little stickers they can show on their packaging, etc. Givin the choice, OEM any day.

Oh, yeah we gave up on those old stamped out rear end housing a few decades ago. Fabrication all the way.

For the sheet metal, I don't know if it makes that much difference on many items. A lot of that stuff was pretty sloppy in the first place.

You know like "bolt on" aftermarket engine parts? Kind of an oxymoron.  A lot have gotten better though.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
14  Tessylo    6 years ago

'Cutting costs and slimming the work force for efficiency during a good economy is a positive sign.'

Sure it is!

Ender
Professor Principal
15  Ender    6 years ago

Shame about the Impala. We use to sell a lot of those.

Kavika
Professor Principal
16  Kavika     6 years ago

IMO, GM has always been an over priced POS auto manufacturer ...So they are closing some plants to concentrate on the pick ups and crossover models. If you followed GM since their new CEO took over some years back you should have seen this coming. 

Hopefully a car company with brains (Toyota) will take Corvette over...The only car that's worth a shit in their entire line up. 

Sophomore Guide
16.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika @16    6 years ago
GM has always been an over priced POS auto manufacturer

Not in my opinion, I've driven chevy trucks for many many years had very little problems with them and the resale value has always been very good. Strong reliable good looking trucks. 

My bitch at this time is once they put all the new computerized goodies in, the price is more that I want to spend.

I'll drive the GMC I have now into the ground and maybe I'll out live it.   Maybe. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
16.1.1  Kavika   replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @16.1    6 years ago
Not in my opinion, I've driven chevy trucks for many mnay years.

Damn steve if you going to drive a truck, drive a real truck. 

The next time you break down, give me a call....jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

cf6a20f89cb5637d3c3c3ec8a2b78dde.jpg

Sophomore Guide
16.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika @16.1.1    6 years ago
Damn steve if you going to drive a truck, drive a real truck.  

LOL.... I dont think my wallet carries the kind of gas money your kinda truck takes. 

The next time you break down, give me a call..

IF I ever do , maybe I will. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
16.1.4  Kavika   replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @16.1.2    6 years ago

Ok, I'll be waiting for the call...jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Sophomore Guide
16.1.5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Release The Kraken @16.1.3    6 years ago
I'm driving a 2019 LTZ and it is the nicest Truck I have ever driven.

I'll bet !

It would be nice to actually own one, but at the price, who can ? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
16.1.6  Kavika   replied to  Release The Kraken @16.1.3    6 years ago

LTZ for sale, cheap...Formally driven by a little old finance manager..jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

011.jpg

Sophomore Guide
16.1.7  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika @16.1.6    6 years ago

LOL a steal at only $27,000.00 eh ? 

Ender
Professor Principal
16.1.8  Ender  replied to  Release The Kraken @16.1.3    6 years ago

I have a 2002 Tahoe that I kept. Don't know why, just never got rid of it. Still runs great for an old SUV. Needs some suspension works but that is about all.

What I wanted for a long time was an Avalanche. Shame they discontinued those.

Sophomore Guide
16.1.10  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika @16.1.4    6 years ago
Ok, I'll be waiting for the call...

I appreciate that, But dont miss any calls on my account cause I rarely break down and having a good vehicle when it does it's at home when it does. 

lol 

seriously, that's what I consider a Great vehicle, one that when it breaks down, its already at your home.

My chevys have been great at that. if and when I have had a problem thankfully it was at home which makes it so much easier to deal with. 

Go chevy !

Sparty On
Professor Principal
16.1.12  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @16.1.6    6 years ago

Oooh nice!   Florida car .....

Tacos!
Professor Guide
17  Tacos!    6 years ago

Twas ever thus in the car industry. If the car isn't selling, you stop selling it and try to make something that will sell. At least they aren't leaving town to build cars in Mexico.

The small car market has been declining for a couple years now (with the exception of the Nissan Sentra). People would rather buy small SUVs.

US sales analysis Q2 2018 – Compact segment

With the new  VW Jetta  now on sale, the new  Ford Focus  about to enter the market and a new  Toyota Corolla  not far behind the segment’s fortunes may be about to start recovering, but with the exodus of customers to the Compact SUV segment continuing unabated that may be a tall order.

Meanwhile, just wondering . . .

GM’s announcement drew bipartisan criticism from Ohio politicians as well as President Trump, who said he spoke with Ms. Barra Sunday night about the need for a better-selling car at the Ohio plant. “Put a car that is selling well in there, but get it open fast,” Mr. Trump said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal on Monday.

Huh?

Ok, how is the encouragement to build a better-selling car in the same location a "criticism?"

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
18  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

Ok, it's open

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
19  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

Sorry guys, I gotta get off for a while, I'll try to get back on later today. Locked until then.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
20  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

Ok its open again.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
21  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

So, Trump said in a tweet yesterday that he was thinking of taking away GM's electric car subsidy in retaliation for the plant closings, there's one problem with this idea. Many crossovers that are selling aren't cars, they are SUV's and, light trucks like the Rav 4, if Trump wants to keep GM competitive then he should consider strengthening that subsidy not taking it away.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
21.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @21    6 years ago

All government subsidies should be eliminated IMO. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
21.1.1  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Dean Moriarty @21.1    6 years ago
All government subsidies should be eliminated IMO. 

And, then all U.S. auto makers would fail.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
21.1.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @21.1.1    6 years ago

And they should if they are not competitive. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
21.1.3  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Dean Moriarty @21.1.2    6 years ago
And they should if they are not competitive.

So, kill the way they can become competitive in the market that is selling so, that they go under and, millions of people lose their jobs. Sounds like a good idea. Not.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
21.1.5  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Release The Kraken @21.1.4    6 years ago
They wouldn't fail, they'd build cars the customer wants.

More people are going for vehicles that are hybrids but, are also SUV's and, trucks, cutting the subsidies for hybrid or, energy efficient cars will kill the U.S. industry because, foreign hybrids are cheaper without the subsidies in place, keeping the subsidies makes us more competitive in the market.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
22  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

Open for discussion.

freepress
Freshman Silent
23  freepress    6 years ago

Trump said he was bringing jobs back. He said steel tariffs were good. He said he alone could "fix it". 

Now we are seeing the scam and con job out in the open. Whether it has been the switch of the 2 plants in Indiana like Carrier to move jobs, or Harley Davidson, or now the Chevy plants, nothing Trump says is true.

Steel is not coming back, U.S. Steel refuted Trumps claims publicly. Coal is not coming back, more jobs have been lost. Manufacturing is not coming back because Trump decimated it with horrific tariffs and idiotic trade policies that backfire.

Trump is making other countries great and he is doing it deliberately to appease his foreign backers who fund his global chain of hotels and golf courses.