╌>

Demands for change in wake of Minneapolis police Christmas tree controversy

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  cjfrommn  •  6 years ago  •  42 comments

Demands for change in wake of Minneapolis police Christmas tree controversy
I support the Chief and the investigation, and I reiterate that any behavior that violates community trust is totally unacceptable

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

MINNEAPOLIS (FOX 9) - Demands to reconstruct the Minneapolis Police Department's 4th Precinct on the north side are growing louder in the aftermath of a decorated Christmas tree, which some community members found racially insensitive.

“This is one of the only ways that we think it’s possible to create a paradigm shift at the 4th Precinct and to shift department culture,” said Nekima Levy Armstrong, an attorney and co-founder of the Racial Justice Network.

Levy Armstrong is leading the charge to make massive changes inside the police department's 4th Precinct. She says many people in the community are still angered by the fallout from the Christmas tree, which was decorated inside the lobby with items such as cigarettes, a Takis bag and a Popeye’s cup.

“We want the 4th Precinct, if it is to remain in the community, to be a more welcoming environment and that can only happen if we uproot those officers who have a violent history out of that particular precinct,” she said.

Community members listed demands in an open letter directed to Police Chief Medaria Arradondo and Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey. They are asking "that every officer and staff member be required to reapply for a job at the Fourth Precinct under this new plan" and that “officers who have a history of excessive force complaints, discipline, domestic abuse, and harassment be denied access to operate out of the Fourth Precinct."

A petition is circulating throughout the city and more than a thousand people have already signed on calling for the two officers involved to be fired. There's also a gathering scheduled outside the precinct on Friday evening where people are invited to bring an ornament and decorate a tree that will be placed there.

Levy Armstrong also hopes to form a police advisory commission that has regular access to the chief, mayor and senior leadership within the 4th Precinct.

“If the Mayor and the Chief are serious about restoring public trust that is one way of signaling to the community that they will change things for the better,” she said.

The chief has publicly condemned the actions of the two officers involved with decorating the tree. Currently they are on leave while an investigation continues. The inspector of the 4th Precinct has also been removed.

The department declined to comment on these latest developments Wednesday evening but FOX 9 caught up with Arradondo at an awards ceremony earlier this week where he addressed many of his officers.

“It’s important that each and every day we do our best to go out there and prove the naysayers wrong and I mean that collectively as a community,” he said at the ceremony.

In a statement released Wednesday night, Mayor Frey said, "I support the Chief and the investigation, and I reiterate that any behavior that violates community trust is totally unacceptable."

The letter will be handed over to the chief and mayor this coming Monday. Community leaders are asking for a public response within a week.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
1  seeder  cjfrommn    6 years ago

I post this is because this is one time where the police administration and leaders took action that had results. I also am sending loads of praise based on the fact that GOOD COPS from this precinct have shown support for the non administrative actions taken publicly by the mayor and chief. 

And it is a nice change of pace to see leadership of the police dept get out in front of this versus hearing about it later and knowing things most likely nothing did not happen in reference to discipline for these officers. 

lastly there is a quote that sums up, what is a subject rarely discussed, based on the blue line.

It is called the culture of police.

The mayor made a statement about how the nature of this negative culture will not exist under his watch. This is a great sign for those of us who have repeatedly spoke up about how this culture allows racist or violent officers to abuse power and feel comfortable doing so. 

This comment by the mayor also allows for the GOOD HARD WORKING HONEST AND FAIR COPS to now know there ability to take control and not be afraid can now begin.

And allow the community to see that positive integrity and police conduct in a professional manner can be restored. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    6 years ago

I'm sorry, but I don't get this at all. The racial insensitivity alleged here escapes me. People put all sorts of weird things on Christmas trees. I say whatever makes you happy, put it on the tree. If you like eating at Popeye's put their cup on your tree. If you like Funyuns, put a bag on the tree. Whatever! How is that offensive?

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
2.1  seeder  cjfrommn  replied to  Tacos! @2    6 years ago

well its offensive because the items added were to stereotype the minority citizens in general. 

and that is not allowed by a public official. the fact that black people and minorities in general are dealt with in some manners differently by the police in those neighborhoods, dont want to see crap like that hanging from a holiday display. 

the officer thought it was funny to do because he expressed how he thinks folks should view the citizens they deal with and what he thinks there worth is about. 

i am not surprised you and your buddy dont get it. as i pointed out before , its about perspective. and if i you dont get that a PUBLICLY PAID OFFICER should be unbiased in his interaction with the public per the oath they took. why do you think citizens  would think he is a decent officer out on the street. 

i / they / most wouldn't. 

but please dont respond with the bullshit about sensitivity and that type of crap. it all comes down to the person paid to act better. 

and i am not here to make you get it. you can be the two members who can expose yourself to others about your mentality. 

i posted this to suggest i am very happy with the white guy who did / does get it and the fact he took action. it is appreciated and allows the good cops to feel confident in exposing these type of officers. ( god forbid you two dont get that)

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  arkpdx  replied to  cjfrommn @2.1    6 years ago
well its offensive because the items added were to stereotype the minority citizens in general. 

Yeah you're right. Everytime I see a cigarette  or a Popeye's cup (I don't know what's Talia bag is) I automatically think of one minority group or another. /S

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.1    6 years ago

320 Takis  are rolled tortilla chips containing hot spices and lime flavor.  They are made in Mexico...

Takis on Twitter: " Takis are sold at various Walmarts, Walgreens, CVSs, Targets, Walgreens, gas stations and Mexican specialty food stores #TeamTakis @melrak2"
Funyuns are very spicy, onion flavored corn chips.  ethnicity indicator unknown
I am puzzled by the cigarettes...

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  cjfrommn @2.1    6 years ago
the items added were to stereotype the minority citizens in general

How do we know that? The story doesn't explain that. It seems like it's just supposed to be obvious to anyone who would look at the tree.

the officer thought it was funny to do because

Is there a quote from him? I don't see that here. Are you just guessing?

a PUBLICLY PAID OFFICER should be unbiased in his interaction with the public per the oath they took

I have no argument with that. I don't see what that has to do with the tree, though.

dont respond with the bullshit about sensitivity and that type of crap

I don't know what you mean by that.

i am not here to make you get it

Why are you here, then? Seriously, if you can explain it, I want to hear it. But it needs to be explained.

you can be the two members who can expose yourself to others about your mentality

What mentality? I'm genuinely asking you to articulate how this tree is racially insensitive.

i posted this to suggest i am very happy with the white guy who did / does get it

Does he get it? Because I don't see any explanation or evidence from him that would convince anyone that the tree is racially insensitive.

I think it's kind of odd that you are personally offended because I don't see the racism in something. You act like that means I'm advocating racism. That's not logical. I simply don't get the reference that seems so obvious to you.

Do you imagine that only people of color eat Funyuns or go to Popeye's? Because that's really not true. Do you imagine that those things are somehow specific to hispanic or black culture. That sounds kinda racist to me.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.4  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.2    6 years ago

I'm a little concerned about the notion that snacks or fast food are somehow irretrievably tied to specific ethnic groups.

I'm not familiar with Takis, but I'd bet there are thousands of snacks I'm not familiar with. Popeye's and Funyuns, I know, though, and I have never associated either one as "ethnic food." Popeye's was founded by a white guy, they used a white cartoon character in their ads for a long time, and they have many restaurants in some very white neighborhoods. This really feels like a made up thing.

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
2.1.5  seeder  cjfrommn  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.3    6 years ago

its clear that you and a few others are either playing dumb or just are because you can be. but ill play along for shits and giggles. 

the items added were to stereotype the minority citizens in general
How do we know that? The story doesn't explain that. It seems like it's just supposed to be obvious to anyone who would look at the tree.

first off it is in a police precinct which means it is on public property and accessible to all types of citizens. The orginal tree left alone is in NO WAY offensive. the tree was CHANGED BY a couple dipshit racist minded cops. Because they specifically put / hung what they know certain minorities are known to purchase. And the goal of this juvenile act is suggest this is the type of stuff minorities have on there tree because this precinct is in the hood.  

the officer thought it was funny to do because
Is there a quote from him? I don't see that here. Are you just guessing?

ok maybe this escapes you. but to suggest there is a reasonable reason a peace officer that is sworn to uphold the law in a unbiased way has a legitimate reason to place these items on the tree i would love for you to produce. 

a PUBLICLY PAID OFFICER should be unbiased in his interaction with the public per the oath they took
I have no argument with that. I don't see what that has to do with the tree, though.

for fucks sake, its view-able by minority citizens which is unacceptable. as noted before the tree in its untouched form was fine. 

dont respond with the bullshit about sensitivity and that type of crap
I don't know what you mean by that.

ok 

i am not here to make you get it
Why are you here, then? Seriously, if you can explain it, I want to hear it. But it needs to be explained.

a grown ass adult person knows that prejudice exist everywhere. but one thing about it people who conduct themselves in way that displays this type of prejudice is not supposed to be a public employee that took an oath to not use it as a way to interact with the public. 

you can be the two members who can expose yourself to others about your mentality
What mentality? I'm genuinely asking you to articulate how this tree is racially insensitive.

no your not, you playing dumb because you choose to think the way you do vs take a moment and think, how shitty it would be to know there is a racist minded cop that cant control himself enough to keep it to himself. 

how happy would you be to live where this OFFICER would patrol on his beat. 

i posted this to suggest i am very happy with the white guy who did / does get it
Does he get it? Because I don't see any explanation or evidence from him that would convince anyone that the tree is racially insensitive.

in multiple reports the mayor frey has provided a qoute that would allow a reasonsable person to reach a conclusion that the display is insentive and unacceptble.  maybe this qoute by him might help you put the pieces in place. 

"Racism and intolerance is absolutely unacceptable, and that should especially be the case amongst our city employees," he said.

I think it's kind of odd that you are personally offended because I don't see the racism in something. You act like that means I'm advocating racism. That's not logical. I simply don't get the reference that seems so obvious to you.

no i dont like the game playing by you and those like you. yes i get sick of seeing you and a few others that run around this website wanting us to acknowledge your comments as educated and valid. And yet seem to have a tough time figuring out how black people should free about a CHANGED DISPLAY that has associated products that one can stereotype is purchased by only this minority group. 

Do you imagine that only people of color eat Funyuns or go to Popeye's? Because that's really not true. Do you imagine that those things are somehow specific to hispanic or black culture. That sounds kinda racist to me.

ok smarty nice try to spin it. again this type of CUT AND PASTE bullshit is a nice waste of time and good fun for your type. but i would suggest that if something that could be used as a relative example would help. i wish i knew what it was. 

so let me try to see if i can act like you based on your comments.  hummmmm lets see. lets say your mother is over weight and she has put up her Christmas tree. lets say your mom is white.  lets say your mother is known to have a sweet tooth. 

so one of your skinny family members came over for the Christmas gathering. and while you were all in the dining room eating , this family member added some stuff to the normally decorated Christmas tree in the living room.  they attached a coupon for jenny Craig, they attached a bib that says "i eat everything" , they attached a godiva wrapper and photo of a pacific life whale breach. 

So it would be pretty clear upon everyones return to the lving room that the items added to the tree are not directed to the skinny family members. ugh 

So this above is my relative example.

So as your mom shows how upset and disappointed she is with the display. one of the skinny non family members ask you " why would those things bother your mom" . i highly doubt you would react the same way as you reply here.  

OK i played the game, feel free to cut and paste it to death and know you can have the last words. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.6  bugsy  replied to  cjfrommn @2.1    6 years ago

How do you know? Maybe it was just stuff laying around the officers' desks and they decided to recycle it onto the tree. What if a black cop put the popey's cup on there? What if a Hispanic cop put the chip bag on there. Would you be screaming racism then?

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.7  bugsy  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.4    6 years ago
I'm a little concerned about the notion that snacks or fast food are somehow irretrievably tied to specific ethnic groups.

I like Doritos but I am not Hispanic. Am I being culturally inappropriate? Some on here will probably say yes.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.8  Tacos!  replied to  cjfrommn @2.1.5    6 years ago

You're not going to like this, but you were unable to do as I asked. You did not articulate how this display is racist. You are making assumptions about people you don't know. So much of it is just circular, i.e. it's obviously racist because someone said it was racist. Your best evidence is along the lines of "everyone knows that."

Before I respond to specific points, I want to point out that the analogy you invented about an overweight mom had more concrete context than this seed does. Even then, the fair thing would be to ask the person putting up the decorations what her intent was.

But now to your non-argument:

first off it is in a police precinct which means it is on public property and accessible to all types of citizens

Doesn't make it racist.

the tree was CHANGED

Yeah, that's how "decorating" works. You change stuff. Doesn't make it racist.

a couple dipshit racist minded cops

How do you know they're racist? Answer: you don't. You've never met them. All you know about them is they put odd items on a Christmas tree. By the way, I will remind you - as I have said before - I'm not saying they're not racist. I'm saying we don't know.

they specifically put / hung what they know certain minorities are known to purchase

How do you know what they know? How do you know what minorities are known to purchase? Known by whom? This is your "everybody knows" argument. You assume that everyone believes what you believe.

Staying on this point for a moment, why is it racist because minorities buy a thing? Don't white people enjoy these things, too? Do you have data on this? I could see it if we were talking about hair straightener or something like that that is actually aimed at a minority group. But millions and millions of white people eat fried chicken and chips every day. Just based on population numbers, I would guess far more white people eat these things than minorities do.

the goal of this juvenile act is

You have no idea what their goal was. You haven't heard from them.

suggest there is a reasonable reason a peace officer that is sworn to uphold the law in a unbiased way has a legitimate reason to place these items on the tree i would love for you to produce

I already have above. e.g., Maybe these cops just like these food items. Maybe the items evoke a fond memory. There is as much evidence for those ideas as there is for the idea that they were trying to be publicly racist. Frankly, I would expect my ideas to be more likely because it would be extremely unusual for a cop - any cop - to go out of his way to publicly mock a whole minority group and do it with racist intent.

a grown ass adult person knows that prejudice exist everywhere

Sure. That doesn't make this specific act of tree decoration a racist act. Speaking of prejudice existing everywhere, maybe you are prejudiced against cops and assume they are racist. Since you I haven't produced hard evidence that they are racist, your vehement insistence that they are implies that very prejudice.

you playing dumb

Now you are making an assumption about me, and you are doing so in direct contradiction of what I have said about my own thoughts. With no justification, you are attacking my integrity. 

how happy would you be to live where this OFFICER would patrol on his beat

I have no idea. I don't know him.

in multiple reports the mayor frey has provided a qoute

And I agree with his quote. It still doesn't make the tree decorations racist.

associated products that one can stereotype is purchased by only this minority group

I defy you to prove that any of those items is purchased only by a certain minority group. Go for it.

Finally, let's say for the sake of argument that these cops put these things on the tree because they knew or believed that a larger percentage of minorities consumed those products. You still don't know they did it to hurt anyone's feelings. They might have thought those minority people would see it and smile. After all, is there some kind of shame attached to eating Popeye's or Funyuns? If not, why assume the intent is evil? I think that brings us back to inquiring about any prejudice you might have against cops.

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
2.1.9  seeder  cjfrommn  replied to  bugsy @2.1.6    6 years ago
How do you know?

please try not to join the few before you. this is not really hard to know anything but this. the two officers took the time, spent the energy and made a decision to place those items in a location they knew others could see it. so there is not much that needs to be known other then why. 

Maybe it was just stuff laying around the officers' desks and they decided to recycle it onto the tree.

maybe thats one of the dumbest comments i have ever read here on this website. but to play along with your silly comment, maybe so. but the part is that they are public servants and if they were so hell bent on recycling crap. the city of MPLS has a very good program that they could have used that would not have offended anyone if they were placed in the proper receptacles.

What if a black cop put the popey's cup on there?

How do you know? Maybe it was just stuff laying around the officers' desks and they decided to recycle it onto the tree. What if a black cop put the popey's cup on there? What if a Hispanic cop put the chip bag on there. Would you be screaming racism then?

What if a Hispanic cop put the chip bag on there.

Would you be screaming racism then?

for the last time.................please try not to make me assume you as an adult citizen of the usa have no ability to have some kind of life experience that would allow for reflection. enough life experience where you could reflect on how it would feel to know that two officers would produce this type of display in a community that has dealt with enough police conflicts of trust that this would not be permissible under any reason. 

again this is about the conduct unbecoming of a public employee, the part that is really too bad about this. 

is that there are good cops that now have to PROVE again that they are good cops and not associated with this two bad acting cops and sadly (unless you live in cave) this visual damage can have consequences on the streets.  In the end, the public needs to know that the people hired are teh right people when on the clock , clearly these two cops are not ones the public can trust, if they HAD to act this way.

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
2.1.10  seeder  cjfrommn  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.8    6 years ago

again the cut and paste only shows how silly you are. there is a juvenile mentality that you want to sustain about this real life component. in this attempt to go back and forth. 

in short the professionalism of two public employees has been called into question based on the choices they made to change a display that could be observed by the general public based on that trees location that has offended community members where these two officers work.

The fact that it opens a door to be judged as racist or stereotypical is something that is a result of these cops doing so by there own poor decisions.  So in deciding to display items specific enough to be acknowledged in the manner it has  is the consequence of that action.   

the other factor that is more then disturbing. is why they would take the risk of the public's trust and put that in jeopardy.

And in making this choice they knew it would effect  how there fellow officers would be viewed. There are many officers who work out of this precinct, who are good, honest, fair, professional officers on and OFF the clock. 

its really to bad that this appears to go right over your head

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.11  bugsy  replied to  cjfrommn @2.1.9    6 years ago

You in no way answered my question. You only cut and pasted them. How do you know there was racism involved? You don't. Your OPINION only. To tell someone their OPINION is silly is disingenuous at best, and frankly, the liberal go to to insult when they don't like what is before them.

According to you and your "logic", these items placed on the tree are meant for the minority community you say thy are aimed at only. The only fried chicken allowed in my house is Popey's. Not KFC, not Church's, not Bojangles....Popey's. I'm a white guy, my wife Asian. Does that make me culturally inappropriate?

Honestly, the whole idea of walking around life LOOKING for something that might be racism must be overwhelming in liberal life. Why don't you look outside the bubble and see that there may not have been anything nefarious in the actions. Like Tacos said above, maybe you have a hatred for cops that far outweighs any logical thinking otherwise.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.12  bugsy  replied to  cjfrommn @2.1.10    6 years ago
judged as racist or stereotypical

By insinuating that Popey's and Funyuns are aimed at and meant for the black community only shows YOUR stereotype of blacks.

Shame on you...

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.13  Tacos!  replied to  cjfrommn @2.1.10    6 years ago

Despite being challenged by multiple times by multiple people, you have not come close to articulating how you know this act was motivated by racism or racial insensitivity.

What you have done is far more revealing.

You have judged people - cops and people of color - based solely on what your own prejudices about those groups and not one bit on actual knowledge about specific people. In your mind: Cops are white; Cops are racist; Popeye's, Funyuns and Takis are consumed only by racial minorities; The people cops are arresting are racial minorities, not white people.

These are your prejudices, not mine and not anyone else's.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.14  bugsy  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.13    6 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
2.1.15  seeder  cjfrommn  replied to  bugsy @2.1.11    6 years ago

well bugsy, 

it seems you and yours need to try to KNOW what i know is equal, its not. the action of the officers was meant to invoke a response from those COPS they think are like minded like they are. they also allowed that response to be allowed because other people noticed the change they made to the tree. 

and as a white guy you still cant tell anyone who is not white that you KNOW WHAT INVOKES RACISM TO THEM. 

so please stop with your i am an all knowing white guy. that shit gets old.

as a matter of fact your need to suggest that YOUR WIFE is Asian is a PLOY to suggest that you should be let in the minority club and are so knowing of the feelings minorities deal with.  when cops treat them differently because they are NOT WHITE.  Yeah nice try.

to be honest it would be great if you were a white guy targeted for having an Asian wife by the cops in your community. it would be great to know that those cops that dont like Asians would see your car and stop you EVERY TIME YOU PULLED OUT OF YOUR DAM DRIVEWAY. it would be great if those few cops would call for back up and intimidate you with other squads showing up after that racist minded cop pulled you over for running at stop sign. And you know you waited after coming to a complete stop. it would be great that a white cop would walk onto your property and knock on you door and suggest there is a problem at your address , just so he could fuck with you because he hates Asians. 

do you fucking get it now.

as i have pointed out before to others. there are a lot of white cops that NEVER EVER USE RACE as there reasons to enforce the use of there power on citizens of color. they let the actions and the unbiased application of of law to make a determination on how to treat that situation and citizen. 

and for you and others to keep replying about how others feel about what they see, is your need to type something down. And stay in your own BUBBLE  of comfort. 

i lived here and worked here all my life and you dont get to change anyone's belief or narrative based on how they interpret the actions of these two cops. 

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
2.1.16  seeder  cjfrommn  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.13    6 years ago
Despite being challenged by multiple times by multiple people, you have not come close to articulating how you know this act was motivated by racism or racial insensitivity.

what is so tough for you to understand, I DONT HAVE TO PROVIDE shit to you. i only can tell you that THOSE people who have viewed this tree AFTER these two cops put this crap on it, have determined it be that way. 

What you have done is far more revealing.

no what i have done is have you decide to yourself about the value this story has as a effect to you personally. And because you have insisted on replying based on HOW YOU have evaulated this story, it is clear to others and myself that you SURELY are not concerned about the mentality of these two cops.  espciaclly because they dont patrol in your neighborhood.  so in short your ' I DONT GIVE SHIT about the actions of these cops is very clear. 

You have judged people - cops and people of color - based solely on what your own prejudices about those groups and not one bit on actual knowledge about specific people.

well mr know it all, i have lived in Minneapolis all my life, and for 20 of my law enforcement career worked with great cops who would NEVER EVER USE RACE as a reason to interact with any citizen of color. they use the unbaised application of law and would never be so unprofessional as to interfere with the publics trust in such a manner. 

In your mind: Cops are white; Cops are racist;

well up here in this police dept most cops on this force are white, so what.  a lot of those cops are not racist.>>>>>>>>>>> the only issue is which of the few white cops who are racist , and display it while on the publics dime,  in this case 2 clearly. 

Popeye's, Funyuns and Takis are consumed only by racial minorities;

ONLY , is the key word here. I nor anyone said only, what was said is that there is people that associate those as being consumed and produced for minority purchasers. 

The people cops are arresting are racial minorities, not white people.

not sure what this means.

These are your prejudices, not mine and not anyone else's.

no this is your assumption. the fact is that i have allowed you to determine what value this story has to you. and since there is no real day to day life interaction with these two cops ,you have determined then others comments dont have substance. As i pointed out other places , i live here and i understand why the mayor and the chief made the public comments they did. And i totally understand why some made this a story the news should be aware of. 

and in the end, the question really does come down to , if these two cops can act like this inside the precinct, its fair to judge them as acting the same way outside the precinct. 

and that is a problem that no citizen of color should have to worry about. i know that is a tough concept to mentally wrap your head around and understand 

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.17  bugsy  replied to  cjfrommn @2.1.15    6 years ago

What we have just witnessed it exactly what Tacos! has been saying for several days. All your rant did was show your hatred to cops simply because you think they are ALL racist. You yourself stereotyped minorities by insinuating Popey's and a certain chip are exclusively marketed to minorities and they are the only ones that purchase these items.

Once again, you have NO IDEA what these cops were thinking. How do you know that some blacks did not walk into the precinct and get a smile from the display. You don't. Your hatred of cops overshadows cognitive thought on what these cops might have been thinking.

[Deleted]  You have no idea what I am or what I want to be a part of.

Maybe, just maybe, the reason why you get puled over every time you pull out of your driveway is for a legitimate reason. To be honest, however, I honestly believe your hatred of cops makes you THINK you are getting harassed. The other side is probably more the truth.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.18  Tacos!  replied to  cjfrommn @2.1.16    6 years ago
ONLY , is the key word here. I nor anyone said only,

Actually, you did in @2.1.5. And I quote (bolding the important part):

And yet seem to have a tough time figuring out how black people should free about a CHANGED DISPLAY that has associated products that one can stereotype is purchased by only this minority group

you have determined then others comments dont have substance

I don't know about others. Just yours, really. And as I and others have explained to you, it's because you judge these cops in the worst possible light and your only evidence is that someone said so.

Personally, I have no opinion about these cops because I lack evidence. My mind is open. I hope that the accusations are not true and that a mistake has been made, but we rarely get the full story in these issues. What we get is a headline and a bunch of self-righteous indignation along with the destruction of someone's reputation and/or career. What we aren't seeing is proof of the allegation.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.19  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.18    6 years ago
don't know about others. Just yours, really. And as I and others have explained to you, it's because you judge these cops in the worst possible light and your only evidence is that someone said so.

Several thousand Black and Hispanic residents of that district disagree.

Community members listed demands in an open letter directed to Police Chief Medaria Arradondo and Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey. They are asking "that every officer and staff member be required to reapply for a job at the Fourth Precinct under this new plan" and that “officers who have a history of excessive force complaints, discipline, domestic abuse, and harassment be denied access to operate out of the Fourth Precinct." A petition is circulating throughout the city and more than a thousand people have already signed on calling for the two officers involved to be fired. There's also a gathering scheduled outside the precinct on Friday evening where people are invited to bring an ornament and decorate a tree that will be placed there.

I am certainly puzzled by your contention that there is no proof of the allegation. There is a picture of the tree and per the article by a FOX News Chanell9 

3 officers have been disciplined so far.

The chief has publicly condemned the actions of the two officers involved with decorating the tree. Currently they are on leave while an investigation continues. The inspector of the 4th Precinct has also been removed.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.20  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.19    6 years ago

from CBS

Minneapolis police erected a ‘racist’ Christmas tree in a majority-black neighborhood

Minneapolis precinct inspector removed over 'racist' Christmas tree decorations

minneapolis-precinct-inspector-removed-o The tree was ornamented with Flamin' Hot Funyuns, a pack of Newport cigarettes, a Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen drink cup and police tape.

© CBS/ The Christmas tree inside a Minneapolis Police Department precinct was described by one longtime activist as a "racist dog whistle," a sentiment echoed by the mayor. (Screenshot/CBS 4 Minnesota)

It looked as though a couple police officers went dumpster diving for ornaments.

Hanging from the Christmas tree inside a Minneapolis Police Department precinct were half-crushed cans of Steel Reserve malt liquor and crumpled bags of Takis chips and Funyuns. There was a cup from the fried-chicken joint Popeyes and two packs of Newport cigarettes — pieces of actual garbage accented by a single strip of yellow crime-scene tape that didn’t quite cut it as tinsel.

The 2 officers who decorated the tree thought it was a "prank"

the neighborhood thought otherwise...

And for those who questioned what was so racially insensitive about the bag of Takis and the fried-chicken fast-food cup, Edwards said those who lived in the neighborhood didn’t need to ask.

“These policemen are well familiar with what racism is,” he said. “They knew exactly what they were doing when they ‘decorated’ the tree.”

Source:

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.21  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.19    6 years ago
Several thousand Black and Hispanic residents of that district disagree.

Oh, how fascinating. Did you conduct a poll?

I am certainly puzzled by your contention that there is no proof of the allegation. There is a picture of the tree

Yes, I've seen the picture. It think it's strange, but I don't feel I have enough information to be confident that the people who put those decorations on the tree did so with the intent of mocking racial minorities.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.22  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.20    6 years ago
and police tape

Interesting. Were they also trying to make fun of police?

The 2 officers who decorated the tree thought it was a "prank"

I'm not surprised. It's pretty well documented at this point that the SJWs of America are killing our collective sense of humor. Literally nothing is funny anymore (unless you're making fun of white males, of course).

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.23  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.22    6 years ago

Being a white male is becoming a handicap. I think that CJ was trying to make that point throughout his dialogue.

Not surprised that you don't seem to get that. As American males you have a lot in common until it comes to racial issues.

You see things unencumbered by being white, he sees things through the eyes of a black man in law enforcement for 3 plus decades.

Same with women's' issues, most men just don't get it.

They lack the natural perspective.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.24  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.23    6 years ago

And yet it's perfectly valid for women and people of color to have opinions about white men, isn't it.

Question: Are racial minorities ashamed of eating at Popeye's or snaking on Funyuns and Takis? If not, why assume that putting those things on a Christmas tree is intended to shame or mock?

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
2.1.25  seeder  cjfrommn  replied to  bugsy @2.1.17    6 years ago
What we have just witnessed it exactly what Tacos! has been saying for several days. All your rant did was show your hatred to cops simply because you think they are ALL racist.

dont make up shit--- i never said all, thats your word that you NEED to keep replying. stop it.

You yourself stereotyped minorities by insinuating Popey's and a certain chip are exclusively marketed to minorities and they are the only ones that purchase these items.

again stop with the bullshit....for fucks sake i said because people stereotype that the major consumer is black people it can be offensive to place it on the tree as those two cops did. again YOUR WORDS is only and all. stop it. 

Once again, you have NO IDEA what these cops were thinking.

listen dont be a two year old. because ANY PERSON WITH half a brain doesn't need to know what the two cops were thinking, they only need to observe the fucking tree AFTER THEY TOOK the action to do so. 

How do you know that some blacks did not walk into the precinct and get a smile from the display.

why do you assume some would-- see how you silly shit works. and by the way....it doesnt matter if they did. it is not about that-- it is FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME about the lack of professionalism and duty to the oath that these guys violated in deciding to disregard there sworn duty to appear to be bias in there application of doing there job.  

You don't. Your hatred of cops overshadows cognitive thought on what these cops might have been thinking.

lets make something very clear here ----i have mentioned it a few times- but YOUR NEED to keep using ABSOLUTES in making up shit. would have noticed i used the words "few and some". again stop that crap. 

[Deleted]  You have no idea what I am or what I want to be a part of.

and yet your reply allows for interpretation and sadly thats the way the internet works. you keep assuming i should have to know something other then the words you type to judge you. WRONG again stop that shit. 

Maybe, just maybe, the reason why you get puled over every time you pull out of your driveway is for a legitimate reason.

ok once again THE SPIN-- be a big boy/girl and be adult about my point. dont dodge it or spin it. just be fucking honest. it would suck to have your wife or your self because of your wife being again be treated differently by a racist acting cop just because she is not white. and he doesnt think you should go out side your race. and so that harassment would get old and at some point YOU OR HER would not want that cop working that beat. thus you would take action and expect the administrative arm of the police station to look into that officers conduct and lack of professionalism. 

if you would not agree with the above then YOUR A DAM LIAR. And because this is the internet, other members will see this and know thats exactly how you are based on your inability to acknowledge a known problem with HOW SOME OFFICER do act. 

To be honest, however, I honestly believe your hatred of cops makes you THINK you are getting harassed.

i did not make this about me. i do know that YOU CANT tell me what i know and you dont get to change the actions of those few racist cops that i have come across. but you keep trying to tell you self you have walked in my shoes. see that is the disconnect. you want to down play the reality that is not yours and comment as if you know more then how it is even though it doesnt happen to you. 

The other side is probably more the truth.

and yet i bet that you have witnessed your wife be treated differently and yet here you play possum. tricks are for kids. smh

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
2.1.26  seeder  cjfrommn  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.18    6 years ago
ONLY , is the key word here. I nor anyone said only,
Actually, you did in @2.1.5. And I quote (bolding the important part): And yet seem to have a tough time figuring out how black people should free about a CHANGED DISPLAY that has associated products that one can stereotype is purchased by only this minority group

again you are a bit thick if i think that means I KNOW they are, carefully again, those who placed in on the tree, did so to display that they feel, (the two cops), that people would associate these products in the manner it was taken. 

please stop being juvenile. Some of the biggest business in the world are built on product placement and selective sales. The fact is that AS A PUBLIC OFFICAIL ON THE CLOCK THESE TWO COPS CANT DO THAT IN A PUBLICLY OWNED BUILDING. Come on man/woman!

you have determined then others comments dont have substance
I don't know about others. Just yours, really. And as I and others have explained to you, it's because you judge these cops in the worst possible light and your only evidence is that someone said so.

do you have kids, for fuck sake, these cops TOOK ACTION under no duress whats so ever to locate those items and took the time to attach them ON THERE OWN. no conspiracy, no coercion, no threats , no intimidation of any kind. THATS WHAT THEY ARE JUDGE FOR, JUST THESE TWO COPS. so like your buddy  above please just stop it. 

Personally, I have no opinion about these cops because I lack evidence.

bullshit , that is a bold face lie, anyone with a jr education knows exactly why these two cops did what they did. and by the way your need to use the word evidence is a court term. or a way to lie to yourself about what you see as plain as the picture is. You have put on display to all that are following this back and force a high level  of disingenuous action in your replies. 

My mind is open.

again , it cant be, because if it was you would be able to display empathy for how citizens would feel about the actions of these cops on the public dime because your a dam taxpayer, unless your not. 

I hope that the accusations are not true and that a mistake has been made, but we rarely get the full story in these issues.

o m g what is not clear. this is not a hard story to figure out. a tree that is in public view was tampered with. that two cops tampered with it in a way by displaying items that offended the citizens they serve as sworn public servants. that action taking by these two identified cops has placed another bump in the road of public trust, and faith that the right minded cops are being hired and retained. and what makes this so simple is that THE TREE WAS OBSERVED IN A PUBLIC AREA OF THE POLICE STATION. 

What we get is a headline and a bunch of self-righteous indignation along with the destruction of someone's reputation and/or career. What we aren't seeing is proof of the allegation.

are you really that ....(negative word) based on this comment. i mean for real. is the photo a fake , nope. is the tree photo shopped, nope. was it viewed by someone who took a picture of it.  

i mean what part of this is so difficult. so the chief of police and the mayor of the same city had nothing else better to do that day and just wanted some news time. 

get real.... are you a parent? were you ever a kid? when a diaper is changed, it is changed based on the smell or based on the crap inside it..............................i mean you must know how silly (probably on purpose) this last comment is. 

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
2.1.27  seeder  cjfrommn  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.23    6 years ago

And you are so right.  and at the same time i know you see these members for the games they are playing. sadly there is something to be said about walking in others shoes. 

and that disconnect is something these types thrive on because they know and have seen enough proof, as most have by a simple video search on youtube. There are enough videos on how EXACTLY racist minded cops DO TREAT minorities differently.

of course as you know or might recall i was adopted to a white family when i was baby and so i am able to walk both sides of that line. and DO FEEL and know that reality of the benefit of my upbringing and also being judged just because my skin is black. And a racist persons actions are easy to see. 

in the end, even if we take away the racial aspect of the actions these two cops took and take away the policy violations of these two cops. Who in there right mind would assume they act different out on the streets.

By the way, I always like how easy you can say what has to be said. as i think (you may recall from newsvine) i am not very good at that brain to fingers transitions of my thoughts into words, but face to face i am great at it.  so i appreciate your comment. 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
3  lennylynx    6 years ago

Cigarettes, empty chip bags and fast food cups?  I'm unsure about the racial angle, but why would you decorate a Christmas tree with garbage?  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1  Tacos!  replied to  lennylynx @3    6 years ago

I never understood putting popcorn on the tree. Always struck me as a waste of good popcorn. But you never know. Maybe the guys in the station have a fond memory of a time they went to Popeye's. Maybe they just eat there a lot.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
3.1.1  lennylynx  replied to  Tacos! @3.1    6 years ago

Ok, that`s a little weird, but not uncommon, and popcorn is not garbage.  I have never seen empty chip bags or used coffee cups on a tree.  Or cigarettes for that matter.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  lennylynx @3.1.1    6 years ago

I haven't either, but I still don't get how that's racist. I'm not saying it's not. I don't know the people who put up the tree. It just wasn't obvious to me.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
3.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  lennylynx @3    6 years ago
Cigarettes, empty chip bags and fast food cups?  I'm unsure about the racial angle, but why would you decorate a Christmas tree with garbage?   

One man's garbage is another man's come-up.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
4  Rmando    6 years ago

Further proof that some will just make things up to be offended by if there is nothing else going on.

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
4.1  seeder  cjfrommn  replied to  Rmando @4    6 years ago

further proof that you cant help yourself and your need to suggest something doesn't count because it doesn't effect you is the only reason to type what you did. 

So i guess the public employee part went over your head. or the fact that it is a police officer who added those items did so on a display that the pubic can see.

or could you be so disconnected to have missed the part, that this was not made up.  but a photo captured in real time , in a real police building, in a real police precinct in a real minority neighborhood. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
4.1.1  Rmando  replied to  cjfrommn @4.1    6 years ago

This doesn't effect anybody except those looking for distractions from the real problems in minority neighborhoods. Honestly I'm surprised you're not against just having a Christmas tree in the first place.

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
4.1.3  seeder  cjfrommn  replied to  Rmando @4.1.1    6 years ago

well your comment makes it seem as though this is not a reasonable reason for people who live work and play in this neighborhood to be distracted with. 

and for fucks sake , it is not about the Christmas tree as a symbol or placed in the public view. it is the ACTION of two officers who took the time to find, gather and then take action of putting those stereotyped products on the tree. 

i cant imagine what you think this story distracts from. because i am sure in the white neighborhoods they have issues that need attention. But feel free to PRODUCE  a list of what issues in this neighborhood have been distracted from because of this incident. 

i live here so i cant wait to read your list.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Sad thread. It doesn't take a genius or a Sherlock Holmes to see that the intent of decorating the precinct Christmas tree with these particular non Christmasy items was to debase and degrade the people who live in the precinct who may have, lets say more frequent, contact with law enforcement.

cjfrommn, I give you credit for showing a lot of patience with multiple individuals who only wanted to derail the point of your seed.

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
5.1  seeder  cjfrommn  replied to  JohnRussell @5    6 years ago

hey thanks, but its what they do. and yet they type the way they do here and then whine and complain on other seeds because they are so daft-- and think the only one who sees these silly replies is the one who engages with them. And so when others who dont comment read down this thread they will know for the future the mode of operation for these type members. 

and that is something i dont mind exposing. and as you can see it is not very hard too. they freely under no duress of any kind do it on there own.