╌>

Conservatives Claim Religious ‘Hostility’ When They Face Consequences for Refusing to Use Students’ Pronouns

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  don-overton  •  6 years ago  •  148 comments

Conservatives Claim Religious ‘Hostility’ When They Face Consequences for Refusing to Use Students’ Pronouns
A growing number of conservatives are claiming that using a student’s pronoun violates their Christian faith.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

W]e are here today because a specific worldview is being imposed upon me,” said West Point High School French teacher Peter Vlaming at a public hearing in early December. In fact, Vlaming was at the hearing that day because the West Point Public School (WPPS) District in Virginia had placed him on administrative leave in October, after he continually refused on religious grounds to use a transgender student’s pronouns. This, the district determined, violated its policy against discrimination on the basis of gender identity.

The school board unanimously voted to terminate Vlaming at the hearing. “As detailed during the course of the public hearing, Mr. Vlaming was recommended for termination due to his insubordination and repeated refusal to comply with directives made to him by multiple WPPS administrators,”   said   West Point Schools Superintendent Laura Abel in a statement shared with local outlet 8News.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1  Tacos!    6 years ago

So, first of all, I don't know how you get an opinion on this from the Bible. The Bible just does not address transgender issues. In my opinion, if you see that in the Bible, you're reading something into it that isn't there.

Now, not specifically to defend the teacher, but clarification might change some opinions because there has been some coverage of this story: 

West Point High Teacher Fired for Refusing to Call Trans Student 'He'

The teacher was not insisting on referring to the student as female either in the student's presence or in any other setting. Instead, he had decided he wouldn't use pronouns at all. He decided he was just going to use the student's name instead. e.g. "Go get [student name]" instead of "go get him/her."

This seems like something that didn't need to become a big deal or lead to a firing. 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2  epistte  replied to  Tacos! @1    6 years ago
The teacher was not insisting on referring to the student as female either in the student's presence or in any other setting. Instead, he had decided he wouldn't use pronouns at all. He decided he was just going to use the student's name instead. e.g. "Go get [student name]" instead of "go get him/her." This seems like something that didn't need to become a big deal or lead to a firing. 

The teacher willfully ignored the school district policy of being transgender supportive. Bad things happen when you ignore a workplace policy. Things such as being fired. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @1.2    6 years ago

Workplace policies don't usually cover things like pronouns. The point of my comment was to flesh out the details so people could decide for themselves on ethical grounds whether or not this teacher was doing something that warranted attention, and if so, firing. I'm not interested in whether or not it's a regulation. Regulations don't make right.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.2  epistte  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.1    6 years ago
Workplace policies don't usually cover things like pronouns. The point of my comment was to flesh out the details so people could decide for themselves on ethical grounds whether or not this teacher was doing something that warranted attention, and if so, firing. I'm not interested in whether or not it's a regulation. Regulations don't make right.

It does cover pronouns when the school has a policy of being transgendered supportive.  This isn't about the individual teachers/employees ethics because the employees don't get to make that decision. The school board has a policy of being trans supportive and the teachers can either comply or leave. 

The high school in West Point, a town in King William County about an hour east of Richmond, has about 265 students.

Vlaming, 47, who had taught at the school for almost seven years after spending more than a decade in France, told his superiors his Christian faith prevented him from using male pronouns for a student he saw as female.

The student’s family informed the school system of the transition over the summer. Vlaming said he had the student in class the year before when the student identified as female.

Vlaming agreed to use the student’s new, male name. But he tried to avoid using any pronouns — he or him, and she or her — when referring to the student. The student said that made him feel uncomfortable and singled out.

Administrators sided with the boy, telling Vlaming he could not treat his transgender pupil differently than he treats others.

“That discrimination then leads to creating a hostile learning environment. And the student had expressed that. The parent had expressed that,” said West Point schools Superintendent Laura Abel. “They felt disrespected.”

School administrators recommended that Vlaming be fired, saying he had violated the school system’s nondiscrimination and harassment policies.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.3  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @1.2.2    6 years ago
It does cover pronouns when the school has a policy of being transgendered supportive.

And that's fine, but I have a hard time believing he violated it with his behavior. As you say correctly,

Vlaming agreed to use the student’s new, male name. But he tried to avoid using any pronouns — he or him, and she or her — when referring to the student.

I very much doubt the policy declares a teacher must use pronouns instead of a person's name.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.4  epistte  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.3    6 years ago
I very much doubt the policy declares a teacher must use pronouns instead of a person's name.

Unless he doesn't use pronouns for other students, his act of refusing to use pronouns for the trans student singles him out and was discriminatory.  The teacher cannot single out a student with a different treatment because of the teacher's religious beliefs.  This student isn't asking for this religious blowhard to like him. He only wants to be treated as he does the other students, an action which is supported by school administration so the teacher needs to grow up and act like an adult instead of trying to use his power to discriminate against a student.

If that is impossible then this teacher would be a better fit at Liberty University. 

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.5  CB  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.1    6 years ago

School policy is work-space policy, in this case. Tacos! Our 'world' is changing.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.6  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @1.2.4    6 years ago
his act of refusing to use pronouns for the trans student singles him out and was discriminatory.

Personally, I agree with that. I wouldn't have made the choice this teacher made. On the other hand, I recognize that in his mind, he was trying to be as flexible as he felt he could and probably wasn't trying to be rude.

The other thing is I have seen a lot of teachers be way more rude to students and they go on working.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.7  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1.2.5    6 years ago
Our 'world' is changing.

Agreed. I can't help but wonder how much of a conversation there was about this or did they just fire him right off. If he was a quality teacher, it might have been worth it to put more effort into to appealing to his better angels or something. I have seen teachers be overtly cruel for years and go on working. If only administrators could be so concerned with students' feelings in more cases.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.8  CB  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.7    6 years ago

I do not know. I can only hope the matter has been determined with good purpose.  But, for our intents and purposes, it is folly to try to hold people back from freedom once they, as a group, have tasted it is good and set their minds to it! Better we remember our own 'vows' and adhere to them as best we can, by not becoming that which we dread in others! See to yourself, that you are in the faith and God will do the rest. Moreover, you will dwell in true peace with 'all men'!

Make room for the new groups appearing out of the shadows! To do anything else is likely to come across as maddening attempts to blow out the sun! Ultimately, reason can inform you to leave God's 'servants' of all kinds to God's disposition. The Church makes a 'fatal error' when it sets itself up to rule in God's stead. It will not go unchecked.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.9  epistte  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.6    6 years ago
Personally, I agree with that. I wouldn't have made the choice this teacher made. On the other hand, I recognize that in his mind, he was trying to be as flexible as he felt he could and probably wasn't trying to be rude.

He willfully singled a trans student out for discrimination because of his religious beliefs and violated school board policy in the process. Losing his job is the least of his problems because if I was the child's mother I would seek the advice of a lawyer for a possible civil suit.   He will have a very difficult time finding a teaching job in the future outside of a Christian madrassa because he is a legal liability due to his past behavior.

The other thing is I have seen a lot of teachers be way more rude to students and they go on working.

The fact that there are other teachers who are much worse does not in any way excuse his behavior. I know drunk drivers have killed multiple people but that doesn't mean that running a stop sign because someone is texting behind the wheel is permissible.  Stop trying to make excuses for this guy because it is already quite obvious that you agree with his behavior on some level.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.10  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @1.2.9    6 years ago
I would seek the advice of a lawyer for a possible civil suit

Naturally. jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

The fact that there are other teachers who are much worse does not in any way excuse his behavior.

No, but it also doesn't prove that the administrators are just and actually care about students. Transgender issues are the politics of the moment (which can be good in some ways), so we see quick action on that for appearance's sake and so they don't get sued by people like you. I am skeptical that they took this action because they care so much about the kids.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.11  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @1.2.9    6 years ago
Stop trying to make excuses for this guy because it is already quite obvious that you agree with his behavior on some level.

I urge you again to stop with this kind of talk.

Learn about nuance. I can disagree with someone and still give them the benefit of the doubt.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.12  epistte  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.10    6 years ago
No, but it also doesn't prove that the administrators are just and actually care about students. Transgender issues are the politics of the moment (which can be good in some ways), so we see quick action on that for appearance's sake and so they don't get sued by people like you. I am skeptical that they took this action because they care so much about the kids.

What are the other likely reasons that the school board would have acted in the manner that they did? 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.13  epistte  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.11    6 years ago
I urge you again to stop with this kind of talk. Learn about nuance. I can disagree with someone and still give them the benefit of the doubt.

Nuance is on thing, but there is a long pattern of behavior of your previous opinions toward transgendered treatment and equal rights.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.14  Split Personality  replied to  epistte @1.2.12    6 years ago
What are the other likely reasons that the school board would have acted in the manner that they did? 

That the teacher was a **** in every day life and a PITA to the school administration, who knew that none of the other teachers would back this particular teacher?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.15  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @1.2.13    6 years ago
Nuance is on thing

Nuance is the thing. I can feel it's right and proper to treat someone a certain way, but that doesn't necessarily mean I think government or their employer should force them to behave that way. You talk a lot about a strict wall between church and state but you have no reservations about government enforcing the specific morality you believe in and in every situation.

there is a long pattern of behavior of your previous opinions toward transgendered treatment and equal rights

If there is, it sure isn't the pattern you're implying. On the other hand you seem to have a pattern of trying to "prove" that you're better than other people here by attacking them personally instead of discussing the topic. Anyone who doesn't agree with you 100% is some kind of hateful bigot.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.16  epistte  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.14    6 years ago
That the teacher was a **** in every day life and a PITA to the school administration, who knew that none of the other teachers would back this particular teacher?

That is certainly a possibility but I would have expected that they would have terminated him after multiple yearly negative performance reviews than during a high profile situation such as this. It is possible that even the teachers union got tired of defending him and threw him to the wolves after this action. Certainly, the school board sought the advice of legal counsel and warned him in writing because this case could cost them million if they didn't follow the rules. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.17  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.14    6 years ago
That the teacher was a **** in every day life

That sounds pretty likely actually.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.18  Split Personality  replied to  epistte @1.2.16    6 years ago

Have you ever been on a school board?  Attended monthly meetings?  Everything goes through multiple lawyers for review and risk assessments.

Some, if not all of it is insane, and I have seen pedophiles and rapists walk away after beong forced to resign at the end of the semester/year with no recommendation letters.

Because of the fear of lawsuits and negative publicity.

Few people have the "right stuff" to do the right thing.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.19  epistte  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.18    6 years ago
Have you ever been on a school board?  Attended monthly meetings?  Everything goes through multiple lawyers for review and risk assessments.

Some, if not all of it is insane, and I have seen pedophiles and rapists walk away after beong forced to resign at the end of the semester/year with no recommendation letters.

Because of the fear of lawsuits.

Few people have the "right stuff" to do the right thing.

I was hauled in front of the school board my senior year in high school because of a piece of artwork that I created.  A few members of the staff wanted me to destroy it or face a weeks suspension because of the graphic violence it depicted.  A former art teacher went to bat for me and threatened the board with the ACLU. The board backed down and I won an award for the drunk driving poster. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.20  Jack_TX  replied to  epistte @1.2    6 years ago
The teacher willfully ignored the school district policy of being transgender supportive.

Quite probably.  But nobody gets fired over pronouns.  

Chances are pretty good they were looking for a reason to get rid of this guy.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.21  Jack_TX  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.18    6 years ago
That the teacher was a **** in every day life and a PITA to the school administration

Ding!  *touches finger to nose*.  

I saw this happen on multiple occasions when I taught school.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.22  epistte  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.20    6 years ago
Quite probably.  But nobody gets fired over pronouns.   Chances are pretty good they were looking for a reason to get rid of this guy.  

The teacher made the classroom a hostile environment by singling out the transgendered student with discriminatory behavior, unless you can prove that the teacher never used gendered pronouns with his other students. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.23  Jack_TX  replied to  epistte @1.2.22    6 years ago
The teacher made the classroom a hostile environment by singling out the transgendered student with discriminatory behavior, unless you can prove that the teacher never used gendered pronouns with his other students.

School administrators do not go on crusades.  They don't get righteous indignation.  They don't fire people to make political statements.  It's a luxury they can't afford.  

Nobody gets fired over pronouns.  Nobody gets fired over pissing off a student.  Kids whine all the time about how they're being treated unfairly or a teacher "doesn't like me because I'm.....(insert the condition du jour here)".   Nobody gets fired over something that trivial  They simply change the kid's schedule and go down the road.  That's especially true in a very tight labor market where your teaching staff all leaving for better-paying jobs in the private sector.

You get fired when you've been a repeated pain in the ass.  You get fired when you've pulled either a large number of medium sized stunts or one outrageous whopper.  

So this teacher..... a French teacher....so not something critical and difficult to replace like a math, science, special ed, or ESL teacher...can't bring himself to call a girl "he"...based on his religion.  After he got fired, he has lawyered up and gone public on the grounds his religious liberty has been violated.   

Color me skeptical.

What do you suppose the odds are that he has done one or more of the following:

• Proselytized in class.
  • Proselytized in class after a warning to stop proselytizing in class.
  • Prayed aloud in class.
  • Made questionable comments about Muslims and/or Islam.
  • Made inappropriate political comments in class.
  • Extolled the virtues of President Trump in class.
  • Started an argument with students so he could extoll the virtues of President Trump n class.
  • Done any or all of the above in the teachers' lounge.

It's also not impossible that he wants to retire and hasn't saved up enough money.  Surely there is or soon will be a gofundme account for this guy.  If a Colorado baker can get $100k, why not a teacher?  Makes a nice retirement bonus.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tacos! @1    6 years ago

Can we assume that there were no transgender people in ancient times?

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.1  epistte  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3    6 years ago

That would be a very erroneous assumption.  The medical treatment to support transition and reassignment surgery is relatively new but people who expressed non-congruent gender have existed as long as recorded society. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3.2  Tacos!  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3    6 years ago

I wouldn't, no. Don't assume that a thing wasn't happening in society just because it isn't mentioned in the Bible. Not every thing that was happening was important enough to warrant a mention. 

And the things that are mentioned appear to have a specific context to them. There is debate about this, but the long lists of rules appear to be more about religious Hebrew holiness and uncleanness - i.e. they are ritual rules, like Jews wearing tiny hats or Catholics eating fish on Friday - than about regular people living ordinary lives, having a relationship with God, etc. I think that in modern times, many people make way too much of them. They weren't intended to apply to all people in all situations.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.3  epistte  replied to  Tacos! @1.3.2    6 years ago
And the things that are mentioned appear to have a specific context to them. There is debate about this, but the long lists of rules appear to be more about religious Hebrew holiness and uncleanness - i.e. they are ritual rules, like Jews wearing tiny hats or Catholics eating fish on Friday - than about regular people living ordinary lives, having a relationship with God, etc. I think that in modern times, many people make way too much of them. They weren't intended to apply to all people in all situations.

Does the existence of trans people make it difficult for you to have a meaningful relationship with your chosen god?  If your god claims to have created people how they are and you are commanded to love them unconditionally as you would yourself then what is the possible problem?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3.4  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @1.3.3    6 years ago
Does the existence of trans people make it difficult for you to have a meaningful relationship with your chosen god?

No. Why would it?

If your god claims to have created people how they are and you are commanded to love them unconditionally as you would yourself then what is the possible problem?

Where did I say I had a problem? Do you even know what you're talking about or who you're talking to? Why are you trying to pick a fight with me?

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.5  epistte  replied to  Tacos! @1.3.4    6 years ago
No. Why would it?

I didn't know so I asked the question. I operate on logic but the opposition to transgendered care and equal secular rights is almost never based on logic and scientific fact. 

Where did I say I had a problem? Do you even know what you're talking about or who you're talking to? Why are you trying to pick a fight with me?

I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone. You seem to claim to want to support trans' rights but there is almost always a conservative caveat in your arguments.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3.6  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @1.3.5    6 years ago
I operate on logic

Nah, you really don't. I guess it makes you feel better about yourself to keep claiming that, but you don't. I haven't said anything here that logically justifies coming at me with questions about me having a problem with someone, but that's what you're doing.

there is almost always a conservative caveat in your arguments

So you let your bias against me direct your comments instead of the facts of my actual words. There's nothing logical about that at all. You love to condemn others for being emotional instead of logical. I recommend a mirror.

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    6 years ago

So some people would rather see the school shut down just so they can be bigots and not show any compassion for others, not like them. Not very Christian like.

Sounds to me like the ones claiming persecution are only wanting to be able to persecute.

Meriwether asserts that the university’s policies on discrimination and pronoun use violate his sincerely held beliefs that “God created human beings as either male or female, that this gender is fixed in each person from the moment of conception, and that it cannot be changed, regardless of an individual’s feelings or desires.”

I guess god didn't know what he was doing when he created hermaphrodites.

Religion these days is getting close to the Jim Jones/David Koresh/Manson style followers.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3  Dismayed Patriot    6 years ago

I wonder how the school bully might react if the other biggest kid in school, the one he didn't want to risk trying to pick on because he wasn't sure he could take him and all bullies are really chicken shits at heart, started calling the bully a "girl" and constantly referred to the bully with all female pronouns. By doing so he would of course have become the bully, and many wouldn't fault the kid being called a girl from fighting back. And most parents probably wouldn't have punished their son too badly for punching a kid who insisted on calling him a girl all day long. Being called by a preferred pronoun isn't a right, but it is a courtesy, and if Christians refuse to be courteous, that's their choice, it just shows what callous bullies they truly are and nothing like the Christ they claim to emulate.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4  Phoenyx13    6 years ago

so many of the religious can't provide public services from the public businesses they voluntarily opened because it would violate their "sincerely held religious beliefs" and now they can't even work for another company because following another company's policies violates their "sincerely held religious beliefs". Do they just want to collect welfare and not work at all anymore ? why hasn't their god provided for them so they can avoid getting into situations that violate their "sincerely held religious beliefs" ? are we going to turn houses of worship into big corporations now since that may be the only place a religious person could work that wouldn't violate their "sincerely held religious beliefs" ?

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
5  Steve Ott    6 years ago

If you aren't willing to suffer the consequences of your "sincerely held beliefs", then you need to just shut up. Because obviously your beliefs don't extend any further into your life than your auto whiner.

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1  epistte  replied to  Steve Ott @5    6 years ago

In their minds, it is others who are to suffer for their sincerely held religious beliefs.  This isn't about their religious beliefs because Jesus didn't teach his followers to be bigots.  It is about conservative Christians fear of losing control over others and their right to live as they choose fit when the conservatives disapprove. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

The left’s Orwellian assault on language continues. Next week, it will be a crime to call dogs, dogs. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
6.1  Cerenkov  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    6 years ago

Exactly. Newspeak is here, thanks to liberals.

epistte
Junior Guide
6.2  epistte  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    6 years ago
The left’s Orwellian assault on language continues. Next week, it will be a crime to call dogs, dogs. 

It that because some people are not permitted to use the words ni**er, kike, coon, sambo, wetbacks, cunts, krauts, chinks, gooks, camel jockeys, and dagos to refer to others? When will this PC nonsense end?

s/.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
6.2.2  Cerenkov  replied to  epistte @6.2    6 years ago

Fallacy again. Please demonstrate how "he" or "she" are widely accepted as slurs.

Silly...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  epistte @6.2    6 years ago
It that because some people are not permitted to use the words ni**er, kike, coon, sambo, wetbacks, cunts, krauts, chinks, gooks, camel jockeys, and dagos to refer to others?

No. 

epistte
Junior Guide
6.2.4  epistte  replied to  Cerenkov @6.2.2    6 years ago
Fallacy again. Please demonstrate how "he" or "she" are widely accepted as slurs. Silly...

Intentionally misgendering someone or refusing to use gendered pronouns for one student, unlike the rest of the class is singling them out at a time when they are already feeling alienated because of their transgendered condition.  Life is hard enough for them, so why do you feel the need to add to their stress?

You don't intentionally refer to a woman as he or to a man as she unless you seek to insult them. 

Why do some people feel the need to be a jerk to a transgendered person? Does it give them a feeling of power or superiority? 

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
7  MonsterMash    6 years ago

My best friend of 57 years has a granddaughter named Donna, she's now 14 and has announced she wants to become a guy and insist she be called Donald. I've known the kid since she was born, I've changed her diapers when she was a baby, I know damn well she isn't a boy. Until she legally changes her name to Donald I'll call her Donna and I refuse to use him or he when referring to her or I'll refer to her using her name.... Donna.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
7.1  lennylynx  replied to  MonsterMash @7    6 years ago

How does this 'best friend' feel about your obstinance? 

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.1  MonsterMash  replied to  lennylynx @7.1    6 years ago

He agrees with me, he won't call her Donald either and when speaking about her he says " My granddaughter" not grandson.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
7.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  MonsterMash @7.1.1    6 years ago
He agrees with me, he won't call her Donald either and when speaking about her he says " My granddaughter" not grandson.

And that's your right, as it will be young Donald's right to call you both bigoted pieces of trash not worth his time. Or maybe he'll just start using whatever pronoun he wants when he sees you two, "Hey there ladies! You two girls going to get up off your lazy asses today and work off those big-o-tittie's? You're going to need a larger bra size soon if you don't grandma..."

No one can force you to be courteous,  no one can force you to show compassion, no one can force you to put aside your indoctrinated prejudices and just see people for who they are and love them anyway, but you can choose to do those things if you want to, and so could your friend, if he ever wants to have a close relationship with his grandson.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.3  MonsterMash  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @7.1.2    6 years ago

If and when SHE has HER name legally changed to Donald or whatever name SHE chooses I call HER by that name, until then SHE'S Donna

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.4  epistte  replied to  MonsterMash @7.1.3    6 years ago
If and when SHE has HER name legally changed to Donald or whatever name SHE chooses I call HER by that name, until then SHE'S Donna

If someone's name is Margaret but everyone calls her by a nickname such as Meg or Peg, is that also offensive to you? Do you ask to see someone's birth certificates when you meet?

Or is it about sex gender that is a problem for you?

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.5  MonsterMash  replied to  epistte @7.1.4    6 years ago
If someone's name is Margaret but everyone calls her by a nickname such as Meg or Peg, is that also offensive to you?

Do you know of any Margarets using male nicknames such as Fred?

Is Donald a nickname for Donna?

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.6  epistte  replied to  MonsterMash @7.1.5    6 years ago
Do you know of any Margarets using male nicknames such as Fred? Is Donald a nickname for Donna?

I am trying to understand your outrage about trans people but I cannot imagine why you would be offended because of a name someone asks to be used? Someone could ask write "Fluffy on their ID tag at a business conference and I would not care as long as they were polite. It just isn't important enough to be to get outraged.  Do you view yourself as the gender police and you won't allow gender variant people to exist in your vicinity? 

Why do you care what someone asks to be called? Is it offensive to you that transgendered people exist, or do you feel threatened by their existence?  Do you feel equally threatened by metrosexual gay men or butch lesbians?  Did your blood pressure rise when you watched SNL's skit about Pat? 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
7.1.7  igknorantzrulz  replied to  epistte @7.1.6    6 years ago

I had my second Christmas dinner with family and friends, and a transitioning one.

Not sure what all the hub bub is really.

Though i was concerned, as another at the table is born again, and wasn;t sure if i was gonna see a WWF Transgender Holy Roller Smackdown tag team match, as they were both accompanied by their significant others, but, just another Christmas miracle, obviously brought to US by Trump, as everyone was well behaved and we had a most gracious evening

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.8  epistte  replied to  igknorantzrulz @7.1.7    6 years ago

I hope that you and your family had a merry and peaceful Christmas and wish you a happy 2019. 

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.9  CB  replied to  igknorantzrulz @7.1.7    6 years ago

'Miracles' can abound in the strangest ways. After all , Dick Cheney (no true friend of homosexuals) has a homosexual daughter to accept.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
7.1.10  igknorantzrulz  replied to  epistte @7.1.8    6 years ago

i did , thank u, and hope yours was swell as well

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
7.1.11  igknorantzrulz  replied to  CB @7.1.9    6 years ago

poetic justice that doesn't rhyme with reason

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.12  CB  replied to  igknorantzrulz @7.1.11    6 years ago

Yeah, like Dick and Liz Cheney (the daughter), the Republican Party, and conservatives seem to want it both ways. Instead of being wholly against LGBTQ propositions like they come out against gun control and abortion of any kind, these people selectively plead their homosexual children cases for public understanding, and accept into the republican ideological fold - Log Cabin Republicans who express a,

Mission

Log Cabin Republicans are LGB T Republicans and straight allies who support equality under the law for all, free markets, individual liberty, limited government, and a strong national defense.

and, these homosexual republicans offered praise for Justice Kennedy at his 2018 retirement:

Date: June 27, 2018

Washington, D.C — Moments ago, Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, appointed to his position by Republican President Ronald Reagan, announced he will retire from his post effective July 31.

Log Cabin Republicans President Gregory T. Angelo issued the following statement:

No Supreme Court Justice in history has done more to advance gay rights than Justice Kennedy. This is not something that is up for debate ; in his 30 years on the bench of the nation’s highest judicial body, Justice Kennedy did not simply author the most pro-gay decisions of a Supreme Court Justice — he authored all of them . Justice Kennedy will likewise leave a legacy as a staunch supporter of religious liberty, as his discerning opinion in this term’s Masterpiece Cakeshop case showed. Log Cabin Republicans congratulates Justice Kennedy for the thoughtful sympathy he displayed to the LGB T community throughout his career, and for his decades of service to the United States of America.
SOURCE:

Plus, they do not rebuke Caitlyn Jenner for their present, instead they try to use her for obscure "certain" purposes. But consider this: What do the out of touch leaders of republican and conservatives follow up with as an encore to Kennedy's retirement? They rushed through and appointed along party lines this mealy-mouthed Kennedy replacement:

One could be forgiven for asking if this pronoun issue will soon be a test case for the new "Kavanaugh court."

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
8  Dismayed Patriot    6 years ago

If saying "Happy Holidays" is supposedly an "attack" on Christians or a "war" on Christmas, wouldn't calling someone by something other than their preferred pronoun be a more egregious "attack" or "war" on transgender Americans?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9  Tacos!    6 years ago
calling someone by something other than their preferred pronoun

I call people whatever they want to be called, but I do wonder how much this really comes up. A teacher couldn't call on a person using a pronoun unless it was on the order of "hey you," which is not sexual in nature. They might use a pronoun if they were talking about them in the third person because they weren't there, but if they were there, I would think a teacher would just use the student's name. Even if the teacher occasionally said something like "hand this to him" it's hard to imagine that using a student's name or some other descriptor like "the person behind you" would even be noticed. I can't help but wonder if there was more going on between student and teacher than the simple omission of pronoun usage.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @9    6 years ago

I think you are right.

What is next? Some lawsuit because a teacher or someone who has known someone a long time as being a male or female slips up and uses the "wrong" pronoun?

PJ
Masters Quiet
10  PJ    6 years ago

It seems that nothing but 100% total submission and obedience is accepted these days.

This article makes me wonder.......

Is there no room for compromise?  Is there no time allowed to make adjustments to all these new and confusing norms?  Was this man a good teacher?  

There has to be some middle ground that allows both sides some dignity. 

epistte
Junior Guide
10.1  epistte  replied to  PJ @10    6 years ago
It seems that nothing but 100% total submission and obedience is accepted these days.

This article makes me wonder.......

Is there no room for compromise?  Is there no time allowed to make adjustments to all these new and confusing norms?  Was this man a good teacher?  

There has to be some middle ground that allows both sides some dignity. 

Why should the teacher be able to single out a student at his job who is under the care of a Dr for unequal treatment because of his religious beliefs, despite school policy to the contrary?   Should a teacher who is a member of the Klan be able to refer to black and Hispanic students as ni**ers and 'spics because of his conservative religious beliefs?

Why is it so difficult to treat others as you would expect to be treated? Are these kids a threat to you so you feel the need to make sure that everyone knows that they are not equal to you?  Put yourself in their place and ask yourself how you would want the teacher to treat you? 

PJ
Masters Quiet
10.1.1  PJ  replied to  epistte @10.1    6 years ago

I think we are talking about two different things.  I don't think I said anything about being disrespectful when addressing someone or using inappropriate language to describe others.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion from my post.  It certainly wasn't my intent.

I don't know why we have to demand that others accept our lifestyles.  As long as we are treating each other with respect and with courtesy why do we also have to embrace how they want to live their lives?

epistte
Junior Guide
10.1.2  epistte  replied to  PJ @10.1.1    6 years ago
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion from my post.  It certainly wasn't my intent.

If that isn't what you meant then I owe you an apology. I'm very sorry. 

I don't know why we have to demand that others accept our lifestyles.  As long as we are treating each other with respect and with courtesy why do we also have to embrace how they want to live their lives?

This student and other trans people aren't asking for acceptance or endorsement of their being trans', but being transgendered in no more of a lifestyle than having cancer is a lifestyle.  This is a medical situation and it deserves to be treated with the very same respect and dignity.  They were born this way and they want to survive and be happy, just like the rest of us. 

Proverbs 14,

He who oppresses the poor taunts their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors Him.

Matthew 25:40

The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
10.1.3  arkpdx  replied to  epistte @10.1.2    6 years ago
being transgendered in no more of a lifestyle than having cancer is a lifestyle

I know no one that encourages or accepts cancer as being normal and something to praise as the transgendered frequently are. In fact we are going to great length to do all we can to eradicate cancer from the world. By making the comparison as you did,  it would appear as though you would agree that it is a disease, a mental disorder,  that needs to be treated and eradicated just as cancer is treated to it hopeful destruction. 

epistte
Junior Guide
10.1.4  epistte  replied to  arkpdx @10.1.3    6 years ago
I know no one that encourages or accepts cancer as being normal and something to praise as the transgendered frequently are.

Who is encouraging anything? These people are born transgendered and they merely want to live a life as normal as possible, but there are some people who like to harass people because of their lack of compassion or understanding of the situation, both of which are usually based on conservative religious belief.  Why would anyone choose to be transgendered? Do you think that some people also choose to be intersexxed? 

In fact we are going to great length to do all we can to eradicate cancer from the world. By making the comparison as you did,  it would appear as though you would agree that it is a disease, a mental disorder,  that needs to be treated and eradicated just as cancer is treated to it hopeful destruction. 

Being transgendered is also something that can be effectively treated, just as cancer is treated. Do you feel threatened because transgendered people exist because their existence questions your curent understanding of what human gender is?

If you know so much about the situation when why don't you tell everyone about your treatment program that has a superior prognosis and quality of life than the current medical-psychological approach. 

CB
Professor Principal
10.2  CB  replied to  PJ @10    6 years ago
As long as we are treating each other with respect and with courtesy why do we also have to embrace how they want to live their lives?

Hello PJ, I have known people in life who are just too damn obstinate for their own good. This teacher, I have read he is considered a good teacher in the eyes of some of the student population, has one glaring flaw. And, it is a bright one:

The teacher told his superiors (who have the power to hire and fire) that he could not oblige their order, on multiple occasions, not just the last one which caused his expulsion from the district-
to follow a standing directive.

Please hear him out speaking in his own words, especially his last words, about 'adopting a new ideology about who we are as humans.' Below:

Subsequently, with these demonstrations and expressions, this teacher is stating his strongly held conservative principles mean more to him; that he feels justified to "make a wave" and stand his ground over this student's and (possibly other trans students to come) life decisions.

When I, you, we, look at it this way, we should consider if he is doing this child even more harm through a weak exposure of his argument (in court).

Veronica
Professor Guide
12  Veronica    6 years ago

My son's best friend that I have known for 15 years has recently started transitioning.  I have to admit I still have trouble with the pronoun issue.  I do not do it on purpose, but unless I am actively thinking about it I will still say "he/him" instead of "she/her".  I do not do this because I disapprove of her transitioning, but because I have know her for 15 years as a male.  Does this make me a horrible person?  I don't think so, just human and error prone. 

epistte
Junior Guide
12.1  epistte  replied to  Veronica @12    6 years ago
My son's best friend that I have known for 15 years has recently started transitioning.  I have to admit I still have trouble with the pronoun issue.  I do not do it on purpose, but unless I am actively thinking about it I will still say "he/him" instead of "she/her".  I do not do this because I disapprove of her transitioning, but because I have know her for 15 years as a male.  Does this make me a horrible person?  I don't think so, just human and error prone. 

It's one thing to do it by willful choice, but it is another to make a mistake because of the past.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
13  The Magic 8 Ball    6 years ago
‘Hostility’ When They Face Consequences For Refusing To Use Students’ Pronouns

there are no legal consequences for freedom of speech or any lack thereof.

and regardless the number of pronouns.... there are also only two sexes.

but, can the guy be fired by a leftwing institution?

if he signed away his rights under some progressives morality clause?  the answer is a definite maybe...

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
14  1stwarrior    6 years ago

epistte
Junior Guide
14.1  epistte  replied to  1stwarrior @14    6 years ago

Trans people are not a separate gender. They are transitioning from one gender to the other. They are not creating a 3rd or 4th gender.

epistte
Junior Guide
14.1.2  epistte  replied to  Release The Kraken @14.1.1    6 years ago
I have no issue if someone believes they are a unicorn. I take issue when they demand the rest of us believe something that is scientifically untrue.

Do you grab people by the crotch or ask to see their birth certificates when you meet them instead of shaking hands so as to determine their physical gender instead of how they are dressed and their mannerisms?  Transgendered people have a brain that is incongruent with the physical/biological gender of their body. When they say that their were born in the wrong body for their personality that is exactly true. Our brains do have a gender and their brain-body mix is incongruent.   Why do you care? Do you feel that their existence is a threat to your worldview so you must be the gender police to feel safe in society? I just don't understand the outrage from some people because the concept of "live and let live" should be easy to embrace. 

About 5% of the population are intersexxed (what used to be referred to as hermaphroditic), so how do you refer to them? 

How do you refer to someone who is androgynous if you demand people are absolutely binary in their physical gender appearance?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
14.1.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  epistte @14.1.2    6 years ago
About 5% of the population are intersexxed

not even close.

a fraction of one percent at best

Not XX and not XY one in 1,666 births
Klinefelter (XXY) one in 1,000 births
Androgen insensitivity syndrome one in 13,000 births
Partial androgen insensitivity syndrome one in 130,000 births
Classical congenital adrenal hyperplasia one in 13,000 births
Late onset adrenal hyperplasia one in 66 individuals
Vaginal agenesis one in 6,000 births
Ovotestes one in 83,000 births
Idiopathic (no discernable medical cause) one in 110,000 births
Iatrogenic (caused by medical treatment, for instance progestin administered to pregnant mother) no estimate
5 alpha reductase deficiency no estimate
Mixed gonadal dysgenesis no estimate
Complete gonadal dysgenesis one in 150,000 births
Hypospadias (urethral opening in perineum or along penile shaft) one in 2,000 births
Hypospadias (urethral opening between corona and tip of glans penis) one in 770 births
Total number of people whose bodies differ from standard male or female one in 100 births
Total number of people receiving surgery to “normalize” genital appearance one or two in 1,000 births

epistte
Junior Guide
14.1.4  epistte  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @14.1.3    6 years ago
not even close. a fraction of one percent at best

Are intersexxed people a problem for you?

But wait, you say, 1 in 2,000 sounds rare! Well, if only 1 in 2,000 persons is intersexed, then intersex is more common than cystic fibrosis, a condition most people have heard of. In fact, as Sherri Groveman pointed out in her article in Intersex in the Age of Ethics , if you do the math, you realize that there are more intersexed people in the world than there are Jewish people!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
14.1.5  1stwarrior  replied to  epistte @14.1    6 years ago

Sorry Ma'am, but the only way to "transition" from one gender to another is through ELECTIVE surgery.

epistte
Junior Guide
14.1.6  epistte  replied to  1stwarrior @14.1.5    6 years ago
Sorry Ma'am, but the only way to "transition" from one gender to another is through ELECTIVE surgery.

That is the last major step of the transgendered transition process.  The first step is psychological testing and counseling. The second is hormones and then living full time in their identified gender. The final step is surgery. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
14.1.7  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  epistte @14.1.4    5 years ago
1 in 2,000 sounds rare!

a lot rarer than 5% of our population (your original assertion = busted)

nope... and I have no problem with math either

cheers :)

epistte
Junior Guide
14.1.8  epistte  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @14.1.7    5 years ago

nope... and I have no problem with math either

cheers

You are the one who has a problem with trans people.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
14.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @14.1.7    5 years ago

Don't you know by now that if you aren't a cheerleader for the LBGQT community, then you are automatically assumed to be a bigot?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
14.1.10  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Texan1211 @14.1.9    5 years ago
Don't you know by now that

no worries...

liberals, progressives and anarchists only make me laugh :)