╌>

U.S. Ambassador Visits American Who Was Arrested In Russia On Suspicion Of Spying

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  dulay  •  5 years ago  •  6 comments

U.S. Ambassador Visits American Who Was Arrested In Russia On Suspicion Of Spying
Whelan reportedly could face up to 20 years in prison if convicted of espionage.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Whelan served in the Marine Corps Reserve from 1994-2008, during which he deployed to Iraq twice and rose to the rank of staff sergeant, serving as an administrative clerk and chief. But he was discharged for bad conduct "on several charges related to larceny," according to an account of his record released by the Marines.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dulay
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Dulay    5 years ago

So I started connecting some dots. 

This guy was born in Canada from British parents. He's a naturalized U.S. citizen. He was dishonorably discharged from the Marines for multiple counts of larceny. That happened in 2008. 

Trump has been deporting naturalized citizens for a hell of a lot less than larceny. So what the hell was this guy still doing in the US? Shouldn't he have been deported to Canada? 

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1  Krishna  replied to  Dulay @1    5 years ago
multiple counts of larceny.

I also heard that on the news-- but they gave no details. (I'm curious as to what exactly he did).

One theory mentioned on the news  as to why Russia did this was that he was actually  not spying. Rather, the Russians wanted to imprison an American (preferably ex-military-- to make it seem more likely the person might be spying for the U.S.) on trumped-up charges of spying so they could have someone to use in a barter for a Russian we are holding. (Probably Maria Butina, who has confessed to spying for Russia). 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Dulay  replied to  Krishna @1.1    5 years ago

I have no issue working to get him released, it just should be clear that he will then be deported to Canada. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
2  A. Macarthur    5 years ago

Beware the possible conspiracy between Trump and Putin to engineer a "trade" … Whelan for Maria Butina, a Russian Spy who is cooperating with the Mueller investigation regarding, among other things, THE FUNNELING OF RUSSIAN MONEY THROUGH THE NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION (RA) TO THE TRUMP PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN!

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2  seeder  Dulay  replied to  A. Macarthur @2    5 years ago

If I were Maria, after cooperating with the US, the LAST thing I would want would be to go back to Russia...