╌>

Washington bakery's 'Build that Wall' cookie stirs controversy

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  colour-me-free  •  5 years ago  •  25 comments

Washington bakery's 'Build that Wall' cookie stirs controversy
"Hatred and racism is NOT a joke. Not even on a cookie," Facebook user Henry John Bridger II wrote on the bakery's page. "If you say it was a 'mistake', it shows us who you are to your core — a racist. If you truly weren't a racist you would have never even made that cookie or thought it would be a joke."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A bakery in Edmonds, Washington, stirred up controversy over a politically-charged sugar cookie adorned with the words "Build that Wall" — a reference to President Donald Trump's repeated statements to build a wall along the US-Mexico border.

Ken Bellingham, owner of Edmonds Bakery, told NBC-affiliate King 5 News that the pink-frosted heart cookie was meant as a joke, not a political statement.

Customer Ana Carrera snapped a photo of the cookie sitting in a display case at the bakery and shared it on Facebook. She said the message on the cookie is no laughing matter.

"A cookie like this does represent that there is some hate coming out this bakery," she told the news outlet. "Whether he chooses to admit it or not."

Ever since Carrera's post started making the rounds on social media, other people have lashed out at the bakery.

"Hatred and racism is NOT a joke. Not even on a cookie," Facebook user Henry John Bridger II wrote on the bakery's page. "If you say it was a 'mistake', it shows us who you are to your core — a racist. If you truly weren't a racist you would have never even made that cookie or thought it would be a joke."

Another outraged Facebook user by the name of Rich Wending suggested people stop shopping at the bakery.

Some on Facebook, however, came to the bakery's defense writing that they were not going to let the controversy deter them from visiting the shop.
"There is nothing racist about Edmonds Bakery and we will continue supporting this awesome local business," Trisha Ruis wrote.

Bellingham said the blowback from the "Build that Wall" cookie has been intense and people are now labeling him as "some horrible person."
"Some are a little risqué, some are nice," he explained to King 5 News about the cookies. "I try to be funny."

Bellingham did not return repeated calls by NBC News for comment. The bakery apologized in writing to several people on Facebook that the wording on the cookie was a "mistake."

Other cookies in the case had messages that said "Cool Beans," "Addicted to Love" and "Believe."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1  seeder  Colour Me Free    5 years ago

When I saw this article yesterday I was startled to think that there is a swath of society that is so fragile and sensitive that a cookie with the words 'build that wall' instantly means hate and racism …

"A cookie like this does represent that there is some hate coming out this bakery," she told the news outlet. "Whether he chooses to admit it or not."

OMG ..  Hate whether he admits it or not …?    I do not call fellow posters snow flakes etc etc … but comments made in social media about a cookie and the individual that made it being a racist hater is beyond pathetic …

How can individuals become judge and jury of what is hate, or racism .. just because 'they' do not share or like another's thought process?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    5 years ago

So much of Newstalkers is wasted with people complaining about political correctness.  I don't particularly like political correctness either, but the subject isnt worth the time it takes to talk about it.  Some people actually think stories like this are the biggest problem in the country, which is bizarre.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago
Some people actually think stories like this are the biggest problem in the country, which is bizarre.

Must Tear down that "Statue" ! 

Must Take Down that "Flag" ! 

Must Sue Bakery that Denies "Cake Building" !

Must smack Cookie Maker for Cookie with "Quote on it" !

That "IS" what's important these days ! jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Of course.....Fake Stories are GREAT for NT. (ref. "Teens in MAGA hats taunt Native American elder" !) jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
2.2  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

Shall we change the subject to Trump and continue to discuss a week old article, is that the biggest problem?  Shall 'we' rehash the raid and arrest of Stone .. shall 'we' argue over wealth taxes that do not even exist?  The biggest issue the US faces is the next presidential election and the candidates running on a platform of wealth redistribution and Medicare for all … it will be the destruction of the US, not Trump!

I do not see a situation where individuals decide another individual is hateful and racist as a PC issue - it is becoming an issue in society as a whole.   and NO where did I state it was the biggest issue .. I said it was startling … 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Colour Me Free @2.2    5 years ago

CMF,

I don't view these people as snowflakes. Quite the opposite. They are bullies. And the fact, that life must conform to what they believe is right, is the problem. And this is the biggest issue right now in the US. That we have extremists on both sides that are trying to dictate their will. Even on a cookie.

Oh and ignore It is Me. He is a contrarian for fun and sport. 

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
2.2.2  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.1    5 years ago

Good morning Perrie .. : )

I don't view these people as snowflakes. Quite the opposite. They are bullies.

I am so careful not to use the word bully … but I agree 100 - I do not like to label individuals and try to see all sides, but I cannot see past my disbelief in this case .. a cookie?  Words on a cookie equal hate and racism ..   [sccrrreeeeaaaaammmmmm!]

And this is the biggest issue right now in the US.

Thank you ..  to me it is a serious / major issue, it is all about the picking and choosing of which individuals have the right to freedom of speech and expression...

: )

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
2.2.3  KDMichigan  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.1    5 years ago
And the fact, that life must conform to what they believe is right, is the problem.

The problem is with the advent of social media (Facebook, Twitter..etc) it gives people a platform to be heard for every little nuance that offends them and band together with like minded.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  KDMichigan @2.2.3    5 years ago
The problem is with the advent of social media (Facebook, Twitter..etc) it gives people a platform to be heard for every little nuance that offends them and band together with like minded.

Well that, too. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Colour Me Free @2.2.2    5 years ago
 I am so careful not to use the word bully

I was a teacher, so we call bullies, bullies. And there was zero tolerance for it. 

And people trying to suppress free speech have a problem, but it's their problem, not mine!

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
2.2.6  seeder  Colour Me Free  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.5    5 years ago
but it's their problem, not mine!

As things progress, will the problem not impact 'us all' at some point?  I feel the impact on society when I read articles like this .. I cannot help looking towards the future for my children - 

I am confident I have given my sons the tools to always think for themselves … in grade school my youngest was the bully to the bullies - never hesitated to step in …. but group think is becoming a powerful force in the US...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.2.8  It Is ME  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.1    5 years ago

You trying to get rid of "ItIsME" ?

Being against what is considered "Popular", Makes me an "INDIVIDUAL" !

Most "Popular" items are really coming from the "Few", and the Media portraits those "Few" as being the "Many", 'cause they are the "loudest" !

Didn't you watch the media and the 2016 elections ?

Hillary was "MEGA" popular, according to the media, and she LOST !

Calling someone "Contrarian" is such a cop out !

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.9  JohnRussell  replied to  Colour Me Free @2.2    5 years ago
The biggest issue the US faces is the next presidential election and the candidates running on a platform of wealth redistribution and Medicare for all … it will be the destruction of the US, not Trump!

Well, it remains to be seen if the eventual Democratic candidate will run on a platform of Medicare For All or "wealth redistribution. "

Every economic system is a system of wealth redistribution by the way. Over the past decades the "wealth" of workers, their productivity, has been redistributed through "profit" to corporate managers, owners and stockholders. This is WHY wages have been virtually stagnant against inflation since the mid 70's.

The idea that the rich and powerful know best how to run the economy for EVERYONE'S benefit is ridiculous and well disproven, but I don't see you complaining about that re-distribution.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago
If you truly weren't a racist you would have never even made that cookie or thought it would be a joke.

All sorts of things can motivate a joke. You can't look into a person's heart from afar. Nevertheless, this person gets to proclaim for all time and in all circumstances who is and who is not a racist. What a sanctimonious ass. By his standard, Mel Brooks is racist.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6  Sunshine    5 years ago

Usually these stupid outrages backfire.

Like the guy who was booted out of a gym for wearing a Trump T-shirt.  Another gym gave him one year free membership...jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif