╌>

Almost 170 Days After John McCain Died, Donald Trump Takes Another Pot Shot at the Late Senator

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  11 comments

Almost 170 Days After John McCain Died, Donald Trump Takes Another Pot Shot at the Late Senator

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

5f46f080-ca05-11e5-8ddc-41e33962f2e4_d4d   Robyn Merrett, People   11 hours ago  

Meghan McCain Accepts Human Rights Award on Behalf of Her Late Father

6e30b1387ee23c20743922bd13505b73

President Donald Trump   has made another dig at the late Senator   John McCain .

On Tuesday, Trump, 71, sat down for a private lunch with broadcast news anchors ahead of his State of the Union address and   unleashed a plethora of jabs   at fellow political leaders,   The New York Times   reported.

“He wrote a book and the book bombed,” Trump said of Sen. McCain, who   died   in August of stage-four brain cancer. He was 81.

McCain’s latest and   final book   The Restless Wave: Good Times, Just Causes, Great Fights and Other Appreciations   was published in April 2018.

Trump’s verbal attack came after he recounted the story in which McCain   voted against an Obamacare repeal   — which he considered the ultimate betrayal.

Shortly after the news of his comment broke, Sen. McCain’s daughter   Meghan McCain clapped back   at the president on Twitter.

d3d702d3cfd30b9985c91afa34c72cac

“The president’s obsession with my father 6 months after his death is pathetic and telling — even at a time when he should be focusing on his message to the American public and the state of our union — the greatness of my father’s life and legacy haunts you,” Meghan wrote.

Trump’s bad blood with McCain started as early as 1999 when Trump   questioned whether or not McCain was a war hero during a   60 Minutes   interview.

McCain was a prisoner of war in North Vietnam for more than five years. The former Navy pilot previously   told   PEOPLE that he survived thanks to his “faith in God, faith in my fellow prisoners and faith in my country.”

“He was captured… Does being captured make you a hero? I don’t know. I’m not sure,” Trump said at the time.

Trump’s comment   resurfaced   during the 2016 Republican presidential primary when Trump blatantly said McCain was not a war hero.

“He’s not a war hero,” Trump said at the Family Leadership Summit in Iowa in July 2015. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”

Trump and McCain would continue to go head-to-head up until the senator’s death.

In his   final letter , shared after he lost his battle to cancer, McCain expressed his gratitude for his accomplished life and the importance of sticking to American ideals despite “present difficulties.”

88dfa6cce52a359bcdb86594448de211

According to some observers, it also took subtle shots at Trump through mentions of “tribal rivalries” and “[hiding] behind walls rather than [tearing] them down.”

Nonetheless, Sen. McCain wasn’t the only topic at Trump’s private lunch with reporters.

The president also slammed former   Vice President Joe Biden   as “dumb,”   The New York Times   reported.

“I hope it’s Biden,” Trump said after explaining that he hopes to run against Biden for president.

“Biden was never very smart. He was a terrible student. His gaffes are unbelievable. When I say something that you might think is a gaffe, it’s on purpose; it’s not a gaffe. When Biden says something dumb, it’s because he’s dumb,” Trump said.

He also made fun of Gov. Ralph Northam for “choking like a dog” when trying to explain a   racist yearbook photo   during a recent news conference, according to   The Times .

Trump then took aim at   Sen. Elizabeth Warren , who has been open about her Native American heritage, saying, “I hope I haven’t wounded Pocahontas too badly,”   The New York Times   reported.

“I’d like to run against her.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

The president also slammed former Vice President Joe Biden as “dumb,” The New York Times reported.

“I hope it’s Biden,” Trump said after explaining that he hopes to run against Biden for president.

“Biden was never very smart. He was a terrible student. His gaffes are unbelievable. When I say something that you might think is a gaffe, it’s on purpose; it’s not a gaffe. When Biden says something dumb, it’s because he’s dumb,” Trump said.

jrSmiley_23_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_25_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

Trump is such a lovable guy.   No wonder everyone admires him.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago
When Biden says something dumb, it’s because he’s dumb,” Trump said.

So what's Trump's excuse then?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2    5 years ago

I cannot believe the gall of that turd.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2    5 years ago
So what's Trump's excuse then?

He has the most beautiful excuses! His excuses are bigly!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.1    5 years ago
I cannot believe the gall of that turd. 

I cannot think of any so positively proud of their total ignorance as Trump is.

x4oalzztp6uz.jpg

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
1.3  livefreeordie  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

Biden is a moron and that’s being polite

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  livefreeordie @1.3    5 years ago

The turd who is 'president' is a stupid fucking moron and a complete lying shitstain and has a diarrhea spewing asshole for a mouth.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
1.3.3  lady in black  replied to  livefreeordie @1.3    5 years ago

The shit stain in the white house is the world's foremost authority on everything, he's the smartest person on this planet. jrSmiley_23_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

When I say something that you might think is a gaffe, it’s on purpose; it’s not a gaffe

Trump is a mental midget.  He basically just said that it is okay for him to say stupid shit because he meant to say it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    5 years ago
When I say something that you might think is a gaffe, it’s on purpose; it’s not a gaffe. When Biden says something dumb, it’s because he’s dumb,” Trump said.

Sorry, but that makes you even dumber because you know you're saying something stupid